Kentucky – Top Non-Football School In Merchandise Sold (7th Overall)

Drew Franklins Louisville Anthem?

Earlier today the Collegiate Licensing Company released their figures on school merchandise sold, and Kentucky’s rank probably won’t surprise you (especially if you read the title.)  Texas lead the list at number one, but of the top 9 spots only 3 were non SEC schools.  The top ten looked like this:

1. Texas
  2. Alabama
  3. Florida
  4. Auburn
  5. Michigan
  6. Georgia
  7. Kentucky
  8. North Carolina
  9. LSU
  10. Penn State

It’s no surprise that football schools dominate the poll – only Kentucky and North Carolina are better known for their basketball programs – it’s still a more widely enjoyed sport.  Still, it’s a sign of the success Calipari has had with branding Kentucky as a cool school to be a fan of in his two years at the helm.  Think back to three years ago with Billy Gillispie limping a team into the NIT and pinch yourself.  There is no way that Kentucky brand outsells North Carolina.

It’s cool to be a Cat.

Article written by Will Lentz

20 Comments for Kentucky – Top Non-Football School In Merchandise Sold (7th Overall)

1. tonydelksarms
    8:13 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

2. SEC News
    8:20 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Good news for the Cats but it’s getting ready to go down. A few months back UK took the licensing rights away from all vendors to sell UK caps/hats except for NIKE. So unless you find some on the black market….$20-$25 NIKE hats is all you will be able to get.

3. tonydelksarms
    8:20 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I worked in the sporting goods biz in the late 90’s till the mid 2000’s, Durring that time I learned some things about the Biz, on USUALY you can sell UNC in any store, in any market, in the world. Its based on color for one thing. UK did not sell from coast to coast like UNC. I think some of it was the Jordan Effect. UK now is the cool school baised on there WALL, CUZ EFFECT. Its only gonna get better. It is kinda more supriseing that, UNC has a good team. ANY UK outsold them. THIS ALSO PROVES THE FOOTBALL DRIVES THE BUS! I would think that UK could move up 3 -5 spots of football was a New Years day type program.

4. UofL fan
    8:25 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

L yeah! Wait… what… tom jurich and coach p been telling us uofl was the tops.

5. huckle berry hound
    8:30 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

There is no way UK is above us in this. If someone doesn’t change that list – well, I’m gonna – well, I’m gonna cry damn-it…

6. Gillespies Tab
    8:50 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

#2..hats? who cares about hats. I doubt that is the majority of the market in UK apparel.

7. m4ff3w
    8:53 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Which of Texas, Michigan, North Carolina, or Penn State is an SEC school?

8. SEC News
    8:55 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

#6…if you knew HOW MANY HATS were sold in this state for UK you’d be amazed. Believe me I’ve sold them. They’ll still sell a ton but you won’t be able to get them at many locations you got them before and if you do they’ll be more expensive.

I’m in the biz…just telling you what’s going down in the near future.

9. BigBlue1976
    8:56 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

The Collegiate Licensing Company website has different rankings…..

10. Kernel Sanders
    9:02 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

#9 you actually have the wrong link (yours is for 2nd Q, the link below is for July 2010 thru June 2011, which is what is shown above in the OP) http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing.nsf/Content/Rankings+Annual+FY2011

11. Computer Blue
    9:14 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

10 – No you’re wrong, Kernel Sanders!! Maybe you aren’t but I couldn’t resist.

12. Count Dracula
    9:17 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

#7. The article says 3 of the top 9… better question would have been… which of Texas, Michigan, North Carolina, or Penn State are not in the top 9. Your answer would have been Penn State.

13. Guest
    9:19 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Check out this Richie Farmer article on some yahoo sports site

14. LJ
    10:16 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

Maybe i overlooked them but you would have to think Ohio State would make the top 75.

15. Eric
    10:56 pm August 17, 2011 Permalink

I never leave comments, but i had to LOL @ #12, he got you bro.

16. YOU'RE A MORON
    2:16 am August 18, 2011 Permalink

#7 Read it again. It says of the top 9 Jackass, Penn State is #10 on the list.

17. Keith
    8:37 am August 18, 2011 Permalink

What I think is surprising is that WVU stands pretty tall in the rankings, considering their relatively small state population and direct market (as compared to most of the other state institutions on this list)…Arkansas and Kentucky also stand well considering their relatively small markets too..

18. Riddler
    10:52 am August 18, 2011 Permalink

#14 Some teams don’t participate in the CLC system. Among them are Ohio State and USC, which would both likely be ranked high.

19. Parker
    11:55 am August 18, 2011 Permalink

What is this “non-football” school BS? UK sure as hell IS a football school. Come on man, seriously.

20. Confused?
    3:04 pm August 18, 2011 Permalink

Non-football school? Doesn’t UK field a team in the SEC? I could understand calling Georgetown (in DC) or Villanova non-football schools since they don’t play D-1 (or whatever they call it now), but an SEC school being a non-football school is a little ridiculous. Didn’t this website show last week our fans fill Commonwealth > 97% capacity over a 10 yr period? I guess those people don’t buy any UK merchandise. I’m sure Joker and crew love having one of the biggest UK blogs totally disrespect the program.
    Is Florida a Football school, if so do their National Championships in basketball not count? or are they non-football as well?
    I guess if we’re non-football maybe we should vacate our wins over the last 50 yrs. I’m an idiot for sitting in Commonwealth watching something I thought was football (although the Curry years were suspect) for the last 25 yrs. Please explain what sport I was watching. I’ll hang up and listen to your response.