Kentucky to Play in Bizarre Springfield, Mass Tournament

pennst

This is a bizarre way to start your morning. A Tampa newspaper is reporting that Kentucky will play in the Naismith Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament, the finals of which will be played in Springfield, Massachusetts next year on November 19th and 20th. That sounds reasonable right? But there is more. According to the report, Kentucky is in the tournament with:

Penn State
South Florida
Old Dominion
Vermont
Marist
Two schools still to be determined.

Boy that sounds great eh? Kentucky would host the first two games of the tournament the first weekend of the season (presumably against Marist, Vermont or the two other weakest schools) before playing against two of the Penn State, South Florida and ODU trio in Springfield.

I am not sure if it is just me, but this sounds both random and awful. I do understand that there are recruits in the area, but in reality I am not sure that makes a ton of difference. All the best players will want to visit on campus anyway. It seems like a pretty weak field to me and the chance for sleeper games to start the season. But oh well, those of you in Springfield, Massachusetts will get to see the 2012 road show before anyone else. And I guess I can visit the Hall of Fame. So thats nice.

Article written by Matt Jones

60 Comments for Kentucky to Play in Bizarre Springfield, Mass Tournament

1. BigTimeCatFan
    7:55 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I think it is a good thing. Our team will be super young again and this will give them three games to get some kinks out.

2. Grammar Police
    7:59 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I think “that’s” nice. It will be good for the youth in the team and hopefully get good television coverage.

3. voice of reason
    8:01 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

sounds like teams pitino would schedule

4. Dave_in_Oldham
    8:05 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Bleh, early season games always suck. But, it is a good way to “get some kinks out” as 1 said.

5. tenacious_j
    8:06 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I see that they found the 4 attractive girls at Penn State for that picture. Very nice of them.

This is a bit UKITish with a game or two in Springfield, Mass. UK fans can get their chowder on.

6. seth98123
    8:08 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

yeah well we also play kansas to start the season so im not really worried about anything else as far as the preseason tournaments are concerned.

7. Park Diesel
    8:10 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I thought the 4 team extravaganza (UK, KU, Duke, Michigan St.) series started next year? I thought each of these 4 played another each year for 3 years, with us starting with KU. I was also under the impression these games would be the first game of the next 3 years. Did I miss something?

8. billybob
    8:12 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

You will be very disappointed in HOF if you want to see Kentucky information.

9. RidgeRunner
    8:15 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I can see where Matt is coming from and I too am scratching my head some. But as some have said, at least we can spend that time more on the new team chemistry.

10. Scared to be a fan
    8:18 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I like it…
    We play Kansas, IU, UL, UNC, and a tourney. Im sure we will be in the Big East Challenge, and may even pick up another big name game. Strong…

Its no Maui, but it gets the boys traveling early together in a tourney setting.

11. Hambone
    8:20 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

It’s right in line with what Cal talked about before the Maui this season. He doesn’t want to play a tourney in which you could leave with two or three losses in a three-day span. Obviously, we will not lose two or three to these teams.

12. RidgeRunner
    8:22 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

11’s right & reminded me. Staying Cal’s course on his tourney-scheduling.

13. J Calhoun
    8:22 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

The Drummond, TarczewskiObrzut, Ledo recruiting trip…..

14. Hambone
    8:24 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Cal has said he doesn’t want to play in those Maui-type tournaments and lose a couple games in a three-day period. This just falls in line with that line of thinking.

15. Oliver Simmons
    8:26 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

No problem with it. Especially as we are opening the season with a doozie of a game.

16. Slim Chin
    8:28 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

NIIIICE dats nice!

17. WildcatsOne
    8:29 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I like P.

18. Don
    8:30 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I’ll tak the “U” ’cause o’ dem nice titties.

19. Come on Matt!!
    8:32 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Nothing wrong with this Matt Jones. Of course, I understand you get more hype and attention by the negative spin. Please stop the negativity on EVERYTHING UK does now or Cal says now. I know you need to show that you’re not biased. But you’re now more negative on UK than the national guys. Oops, I guess you are a national guy now.

20. Rev Al Sharpton
    8:34 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I like it with us having so many new guys it will be good to work on yhe dribble drive and hopefully Miller’s kinks out lol

21. Come on Matt!!
    8:37 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Oh yeah another thought, all your negative spin is making me want to read Tipton more versus you. Beisner….keep this Matt Jones hack off your site.

22. 3 fan
    8:37 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

13 is spot on. This is for Drummond, Tarczweski and Ledo.

23. SEC???
    8:41 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

ALL of those teams would win the SEC WEST! And battle KY for the SEC second place finish!! WHAT A JOKE TOURNAMENT!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

24. NegativeForNoReason
    8:47 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I wouldn’t mind helping to hide the “S” with some white “paint”……I’d let her Nittany me….Additional perverted comment.

25. JustBlue
    8:49 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I think we are matched up against Marist in the first game. I remember something a while back where Marist posted on their athletics page that their first game of the year will be against UK. I’m fine with this and it beats playing in a ballroom against Cleveland State and Stanford.

26. Doctor Bob
    8:52 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Bad time of the year to visit Springfield, Mass. Bad tourney field. Silly move.

27. Roach K
    8:52 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

At least we won’t be playing in a converted conference room like that debacle a few years ago.

28. Norm
    8:55 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Too bad this tournament won’t be played in a Mexican Ballroom

29. nybrasky
    8:56 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

This makes perfect sense. As others pointed out, it’ll be closer to some top recruits. Plus, UK plays KU on the 15th I believe & Springfield is only about a 2-2.5 hour drive from NYC.

Those teams are all better than the cupcakes we play regularly early on.

I really don’t get the Tipton-esque negativity.

30. Bill
    8:58 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

The game is not for the fans. It is just for TV. The place only holds 7600. So no road trip for many of the BBN!

31. P.L. Wallingford, III
    9:03 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Matt Tipton strikes again. Bizarre tournament? What are they doing, playing in their underwear or something???

32. Kentucky1
    9:04 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Damn I was hoping they would play in Kansas City in the Coaches Classic! Its the only time this Kentucky fan in Kansas gets to watch live games!

33. Czech KY fan RE: Podcast
    9:04 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Matt, I’m on set right now on a commercial shoot and want to zone out in between shots and listen to the podcast from yesterday.. Yet I cannot.. PLEASE for the love of GOD, FIRE whoever is in charge of posting the podcasts from the radio show. -Again- an older show (from the 16th) is linked as Hour 1 of the 17th show. A trained ape could do this properly yet this nincompoop cannot.

Please give the yokel who keeps screwing that up an application to McDonalds and then show him the exit.

34. hmmm
    9:07 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Im pretty sure number 21 is Jerry Tipton. How is he putting a negative spin on this? As a UK fan I want Kentucky to play the best of the best. I don’t want a Rick Pitino Schedule

35. stevied
    9:11 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

#18, I’ll wrestle you for the ” U “

36. Don
    9:13 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

#36 It may be worth the risk to see those things. Any gorl that has to wear two sports bras is supporting monsters…and it just makes me want milk!

Your on!

37. Come on Matt!!
    9:14 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

hmmm….Wake up! We play KU, Ind, UNC, ND, prolly UConn, Villy or Pitt in SEC/Big East challenge, Louisville all next year. For Christ’s sake, we played Portland this year! Also, Winthrop, Miss Valley State, Penn, Coppin State. So we schedule a tourny that has Penn State in it and will play Marist vs any of this years cupcakes and MATT JONES wants to complain about it. Oh and by the way HMMM, saying anything negative about something is putting a negative spin on it.

38. Runnin'Ramel
    9:16 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I think it’s fine. If UK were in an early season tourney with Texas, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and others, and ended up with a loss or two, people would claim Cal will never win with one and done stars. He can’t win with some of you. The schedule will be plenty good in terms of SOS and RPI since it has Kansas, UNC, Louisville, and others. ODU is typically a very good mid-major and would be considered a “quality” win this year.

39. Boston
    9:17 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Ex-pat in Boston. This would be so great to have a game in New England! Have no fear that the house would be packed with Blue!

40. Ontheroadagain
    9:21 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

S has the whitest teeth I ever came across

41. BlueFins
    9:21 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

#23 – You are so right! I’m sure they would give the Big East a run for the money too, since it’s suuuuuch a strong, balanced league. You’ve got 6 perennial horrible teams, 5 teams that are consistantly average (with one up/down year thrown in every so often), and 5 (at least highly ranked, but never finishes the deal) really good teams. I’d fear marist if I were you Troll.

42. BlueFins
    9:25 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Oh, I forgot, South Florida is from the Mighty Big East. And one of the six horrible teams you are so fond of.

43. bthendren
    9:31 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Nice for us Boston Wildcats! Never thought they would play within 1.5hrs of the city.

44. walter sobchak
    9:35 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

There are still 2 teams to be named. I’m gonna wager a pair of jorts that at least one of them has star power like UK and hope its UK and that team in the finals. Plus, as numerous others have mentioned – our OOC schedule next year is pretty sick.

45. Al's IndiCats
    9:36 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I was stationed up at Springfield Mass in the early 70s, hated every minute up there. The only significant artifact there is up there in the down town area is General Douglas MacArther’s birthplace where they have a rotory with a statue of a 6′ orb in the middle….Better known to the locals as MacArther’s Ball. Other than that you can go Pak yer Ca, Ya motha F&@ka

46. RockyRaccoon
    9:37 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Selfishly, I am happy to hear this. I am a die-hard displaced Wildcat fan living in Rhode Island. This will be my chance to see the CATS.

47. nathan
    9:38 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

S is Penn St. Hot

48. Carolina Cat
    9:41 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Cal has always been chasing that perfect season. He can do it next year with the team we have coming/supposedly coming back. This tournament (as opposed to playing a Maui Inv. type tourney) will help avoid those early season upsets (a la 2009-2010). At least, that’s the only reasoning that makes sense to me.

49. Big Shot
    9:59 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Matt is just mad that he doesn’t get another sweet vacation on someone else’s dime now that he’s all big-time. Enjoy Springfield!

50. Michael
    10:00 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Last time we played in the tip-off classic. Seemed to be a pretty good year.

51. Lou eaton
    10:03 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Just hope none of these teams have a player who can hit an open three………

52. SanDiegoDave
    10:47 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

As as scheduling goes, I believe tournaments only count as one game against the number a team can schedule in a year. Everybody sucks at the beginning of the year (at least they should) and getting four games for the price of one is a good deal.

53. jimi
    11:43 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

Get “S” to call her twin sister, switch places with “U” and have “Paw” change to “Y”

:()

54. rover44
    11:47 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I bet Cal is trying to give Recardo Ledo and easier opportunity to watch UK play. It’s all about recruiting

55. Don
    11:54 am February 18, 2011 Permalink

I swear the “U’s” boobs move when I look at them.

56. tom9698
    12:20 pm February 18, 2011 Permalink

4,3,2,1 The P and the U look like twins.

57. Han
    12:29 pm February 18, 2011 Permalink

Seems like a clear case of expecting to have a young team and needing to get them away from Lexington with easy games as much as possible to help prepare them and recover from tougher games in non-con, including a stars and bright lights game in MSG.

This is the Canada trip, only it’s regular season.

58. Ontheroadagain
    1:09 pm February 18, 2011 Permalink

54…hysterical

59. BigBlue1976
    3:29 pm February 18, 2011 Permalink

Matt, why is this tourney bizarre? Weak field I guess, but bizarre?