Kentucky Snubbed? Yahoo! Isn’t the Only Site to Think So.

Leo

Never won an Oscar, despite being the lead role in The Departed, Shutter Island, and Gangs of New York. Feel his pain.

Cal might be saying that this team is where it deserves to be, and as fans, we have to admit that they didn’t capitalize on the opportunities they had.  But that doesn’t mean that other, non-interested parties can’t comment on how the Wildcats might have been the victims of a slight snub.  Ally brought us news earlier that Yahoo! Sports thought that UK was left out in the cold, and you’ll enjoy knowing that they’re not the only ones who think so.

Sports Illustrated also happens to believe that the Cats are among those who could have been deserving of a tourney spot.

Kentucky (21-11, 12-6; RPI: 57, SOS: 70)
The Wildcats’ season changed when Nerlens Noel went down, and while the Cats beat Florida and Missouri at home after that, they looked terrible in all four games away from Rupp, including a lopsided loss to Vanderbilt in the SEC quarterfinals.
GW: Florida, Missouri, Maryland (N)?, at Ole Miss
BL: at Georgia; Vanderbilt (N), at Tennessee by 30 w/o Noel* (in case of bubble tiebreaker)

So while it’s fair to speculate that we should have had a better crack at the tourney than we got, I guess it’s not really fair to compare ourselves to Leonardi DiCaprio.  After all, he’s never won an Oscar; we won a title last year.  Here’s hoping next year will fix both of those problems (The Great Gatsby, anyone?)

Meanwhile, Randle decides tomorrow, and Dave Telep hears “whispers” that it’s going to be UK.  So win or lose tonight, it can still be a good week.  Not a great week, cause, you know… NIT.  But still a good week.  Fingers crossed.

Article written by Corey Nichols

53 Comments for Kentucky Snubbed? Yahoo! Isn’t the Only Site to Think So.

1. HillbillyInBC
    9:04 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Telep obviously didn’t read the overnight thread below (or didn’t scroll past the Bruce Willis stuff).

2. Jughead
    9:04 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

No snub, just reward. Team stunk. Moving on.

3. Dumbledore
    9:05 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

If you asked me would I rather have our Jekyll & Hyde 2013 team get an NCAA bid or a Julius Randle commitment, I’m choosing Randle 10 times out of 10.

4. JKUK
    9:05 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Any insiders wanna read Telep’s insider article and come back here w/ a summary?

5. bigcat4453
    9:10 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Waiting on Announcements from potenital recruits is almost as eciting as waiting to see where, (or if) you are going to be on Selection Sunday!

6. bigcat4453
    9:11 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

*exciting

7. MJSux
    9:12 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Really

8. wildcat fan
    9:13 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

FYI leo never wins an oscar because he does not play the hollywood game to win an oscar wich is kiss the right tail to win one. it’s all about playing nice, and kissing a little bit of tail to win it. or to even be nominated.

9. jarosity
    9:15 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Some mid-majors are overvalued. Bucknell beat Lasalle, yet Lasalle got bubble consideration while Bucknell never did. Lasalle was a ‘lock’ for some unknown reason forever. Their resumes were rather similar as well. And lets not kid ourselves, UK would beat both of those teams. So I have no idea what the logic is behind these tournament selections. Also, there is no way that Bucknell should be an 11 seed. I say this as a Bucknell and UK grad.

10. Inception
    9:15 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Is Leo’s best movie by far.

11. Some Guy in Kentucky
    9:16 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

UK was 3-1 against the 3 SEC teams that got in the NCAA.

12. Han
    9:18 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

How could Telep be hearing UK when message board posters have been saying the opposite? That’s impossible!

8) Leo does a bunch of Oscar bait movies.

13. ThankfulCat
    9:20 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Still trying to understand why Mizzou was such a lock over UK. We beat them without Nerlens. They beat Florida. We beat Florida.

Oh well. The tourney this year is a crapfest anyway because college basketball has been crippled, talent wise because of early exits to the NBA.

As long as anyone but Indiana wins the title, I’m good

14. we got what we deserved
    9:21 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Maryland is far better than KY and played a much tougher schedule. Watch this Yong team in NIT. Unlike our Team, they have gotten much better.

In the past 30 years, I never thought In would see such a lethargic KY team, an SEC conference that looks like a mid major, and a poor shooting Vanderbilt team. All the same year!!!

15. Blue4ever
    9:23 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Wish Cal would put a tie back on. Last game he looked like a Persian rug salesman.

16. RealCatsFan
    9:24 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

14, if Florida, Mizzou or Ole Miss manage to get on a roll, and the BE does its usual flame-out, a lot of the people dissing the SEC will have to eat some crow. I will be pulling hard for all of the SEC teams to advance.

13, you can add Duke, UNC, UCLA and Kansas to that list of teams I don’t want to see win. I want the Cats to stay way out in front in the number of titles.

17. JA
    9:26 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

@8….Like someone said above, Leo does plenty of movies given Oscar consideration. In fact, the only reason he wasn’t nominated for The Departed was because the same year he was nominated for Blood Diamond. Right actor, wrong movie.

18. Delk for 3
    9:26 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

13 — It’s pretty simple actually. We beat Maryland in the non-conference and that was it. Missouri beat VCU, Stanford, and Illinois all on neutral courts. They also lost to UCLA by three points on the road.

19. jarosity
    9:27 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Seriously though…. Why was Mizzou such a lock over UK? Why are other teams seemingly immune to falling into the bubble zone (Lasalle, Boise, etc)? Its like they either just pay attention to some statistical measure (RPI) or they just decided in January that Mizzou is really good (even though they should have lost to Bucknell in January, and they totally shat the bed in the last tournament).

20. Oogie
    9:28 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

A commit by Randle would make this a HUGE week, NIT or not. Let’s face it, this team’s ceiling was always limited. But next year’s has the chance to be epic. JR would be the final piece of that puzzle to fall into place.

21. Delk for 3
    9:28 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

13, 16 — You guys wouldn’t mind if Louisville wins? You make me sick.

22. Delk for 3
    9:29 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

19 – read 18.

23. TO some guy in ky
    9:30 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Too bad we don’t play a 4 game schedule. Look at those teams records against same teams we play, now your stat goes the other way. We don’t pass the eye test, much alone anything else. If you haven’t watched any other conference ball, you haven’t seen how bad a team we are, we have half as many wins if playing in big 10, 2/3 at best f playing in any other conference.

24. jarosity
    9:34 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

21 – Thanks. I submitted my thought at the same time that you did yours. No need to get snippy. Also, I didn’t realize Stanford was a good team.

25. Kristen Geil's Abs
    9:35 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

UK needed to win 2 of last 4 games to get in. That was their chance. I have no problem missing this tourney. Cal and most fans saw this coming. The players got a good lesson in life.

26. ChesterTheMolester
    9:37 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! BooooooooooooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooooo!! WE sUcK and we didn’t get in on our name!!!

27. Delk for 3
    9:42 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

24 — I wasn’t snippy. Stanford isn’t a great team, but that’s just the point. They were an okay (no. 77 RPI) team, but in addition to VCU (no. 25) and Illinois (no. 40) it was just enough to assure Mizzou a spot in the dance. We just didn’t beat anyone of significance besides Maryland. If we had just beaten Baylor (even at home) we probably make it in.

28. RahRah
    9:42 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Love my team and will be watching tonight wearing blue. I hope they get on a streak and win this thing. Also hope we get JR.

That said, we may have been slightly snubbed but WE ARE UK. We never should have put ourselves in a position to play “must win” games. Still not sure what happened, looked to be lack of chemistry and/or leadership. But we are and should be held to a higher standard and that’s okay. Next year will be better, guys.

Go CATS!

29. John
    9:45 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Is there a way to listen live to the radio show through the phone? I’m at DMV but want to listen

30. eastcoastcat
    9:49 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

he shoulda won an award for his role in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.

31. RealCatsFan
    9:51 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

21, read my post again. Didn’t say I want to see UL win, it’s just that I would prefer it over the others – least of evils kind of thing. That being said, after hearing all the hype for them (living in Louisville), I pretty much hope they flame out in the first or second round. It was bad enough having to hear all the Sugar Bowl crap, and now this.

32. Chris
    9:52 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

But my second cousins friends moms mom is friends with Julius randles mothers hairdressers moms cat and he meowed that Julius was going to Kansas.

33. Chicago Chris
    9:54 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

#29 Download the IHeartRadio app.

34. ThankfulCat
    9:56 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

#21

No, UL is not a team I want to see win it but the bottom line is, they are the best team. Bilas and Barkley both raved about us all year last year and they were right. They both are picking UL and I believe they will win it.

There is no way I could tolerate Indiana and Crean winning a title. No way. I would literally throw up for weeks

35. Duck sucks
    9:56 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

We didn’t get in because we let Vandy kick are rear! Probably for the best because this team has given up. We would have been a low seed and would have got spanked by a good team!

36. ThankfulCat
    9:59 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

#35

You put us in a play-in game in Dayton as a 12 against another 12, I bet we would win because the place would be 90% blue. Then play a 5 seed and the 5 seeds are not that great, we could have made the sweet 16.

Doesn’t matter now because we blew it. No one to blame but ourselves

37. Duck sucks
    10:01 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

34) You better find a barf bag! I HATE IU just as you do, but they are clearly the best team. The officials won’t let UL play physical with Duke. All those hand checks Pitno thrives on will be fouls against Duke. Hell UL could have half their team fouled out by half-time
    If IU doesn’t win it will be Kansas.

38. Brent
    10:02 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

29. If you have a smartphone you can download the ‘I Heart Radio’ app. Then stream teh 630 WLAP station out of Louisville

39. Catzfan4life
    10:04 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Nashville was 90% blue also

40. JT
    10:04 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Folks do not be shocked when Randle chooses Kansas. It’s a done deal despite your jokes and disbelief.

41. Al's IndiCats
    10:05 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Very few times this year did this team as a whole show excitment. Actually IMO it’s a wonder this team won 20 games. This isn’t dig, it’s just the truth. I’ve been a UK fan for many moons as well as most of my family and we all believe this team just hasn’t the heart to compete at a UK level.

For those who come back I hope they grow a competitive heart and make a mental decision to get tougher, for those who don’t, have a great life.

42. whodat
    10:06 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

totally predictable by writers looking for hits… they know the value of mentioning UK. I am surprised it taook so long frankly. We didnt deserve a bid…. plain and simple.

43. Duck sucks
    10:09 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

36) We had 90% blue against Vandy and they weren’t even a 12 seed. It’s hard to face but this team has given up. We won’t make the sweet 16 in the NIT. But that’s OK. With last years NC and the team coming in we will be just fine. I’ll take a elite 8, FF, NC, then a down year!
    This is the one and done system. Every once in a while the high school class will be down. This group just wasn’t as good as the 3 before. Next years class very well could be the best yet and we will be right back on top again! I like it this way if where not a contender for the title we might as well not make the NCAA. It’s better then just being average for 8 Years like Tubby had us!

44. Duck sucks
    10:16 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

41) I agree 100%. This team just didn’t look committed all year! If Noel didn’t get hurt I think we probably would have won a couple more and made the NCAA just on his will. Even then this team wouldn’t have been great. I don’t think this team ever bought in to what Cal wanted.just look at Goodwin. I do think this kid played his tail off for Cal and gave it every thing he had but he just never got “IT”. You can’t coach that it just happens or it doesn’t.

45. Kevin C.
    10:17 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

The only way I can get over this season, is if I can look back on it after NEXT season, and we’ve won #8,NITChamp & #9 over the last 3 years.

46. bosshogg24
    10:18 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

UL is the best team, NOT IU! If you must hate, hate IU! Keep the title in Kentucky!

47. Duck sucks
    10:26 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

46) it’s like this. If my dad thought I was pulling for IU to win the title he would roll over in his grave, but if he thought I was pulling for UL he would get up a walk off. Point being I’d rather see a team from Russia win it as to UL. IMO Lousville is in Indiana anyway!

48. Duck sucks
    10:28 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

45 you right it down about #9 next year! Now the NIT title isn’t going to happen this team has given up. No way this make the sweet 16 in the NIT!

49. tom
    10:38 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

if we can’t win the title, I’m pulling for Louisville. Would be great for the state

50. Jughead
    10:42 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Ashley Judd says Randle is a Jayhawk.

51. statman
    11:49 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Doesn’t matter what Yahoo, SI or God thinks about UK getting snubbed. We aren’t in and that’s that. This site should be used for more important things than crying about not making the NCAA Tournament.

52. kybigblue
    12:00 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

#18 Why are so many people high on Illinois? They finished tied with Purdue and Minnesota for seventh with an 8-10 record in the Big Ten. Purdue lost to E. Michigan who lost by over 50 to UK. EKU played Illinois close on the road until EKU had to start fouling late in the game. Ilinois isn’t that good. Plus Missouri played UCLA close early in the season when UCLA was struggling. UK lost to the #1 overall seed on the road by 3 plus played Duke close. Missouri finished was the 6th seed in the SEC tournament while UK was the #2 seed.

53. Corey Nichols
    12:35 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

49 – In a strange way, I can see where you’re coming from. I would hate having to put up with Louisville fans; I thought last year’s title and Final Four game would be enough to shut them up for a few years. But in an abstract, objective light, it would be phenomenal for the state and its reputation for college ball. UNC/Duke who? That said, the thought of it makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit.