si75years001-250

Sports Illustrated’s “75 years of the NCAA Tournament” special edition is out and there’s a surprising omission. According to John Clay, there isn’t a single picture of a Kentucky team in the 68-page issue, unless you count a small picture of “The Shot” in 1992.

Clay says that the issue focuses more on individual player’s accomplishments than teams, but still. Can’t a program get some love for eight National Championships?

38 Comments for Kentucky snubbed from Sports Illustrated’s “75 Years of the NCAA” Special Edition?

1. sucks
    5:02 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

SI has and always will suck just like seth davis is and always will be a moron.

2. Say_What
    5:07 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

So the 48 point effort that Goose Givens had against Duke to win the championship in ’78 did not qualify as an individual performance? Oh yeah I forgot that was done to Duke so that DQ’s that.

3. Say_What
    5:08 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

41 my bad, but still that should qualify.

4. TopCat32
    5:09 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Wow, I can’t believe Jack Givens wasn’t mentioned. Wonder if they did any kind of research. Strange he wasn’t included.

5. harold hall
    5:13 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

I ditched Sports Illustrated years ago. They still suck! Goose Givens still rocks!

6. Mattcat68
    5:13 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

How many players in NCAA history have score 40+ points in the National Championship game?

7. ukcatfan1969
    5:13 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Long live “Goose”.

8. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    5:14 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

This is easy to explain. Thameltoe effect.

9. Scottuky99
    5:14 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Holy Scccchhhhnikies????? Jack Goose Givens game in championship game, can’t imagine to many better!!!!!

10. sucks
    5:14 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Im telling you they just suck at their jobs remeber the article seth davis wrote about the top breakout athletes and anthony davis wasnt even on the list. The same list that included cody zeller.

11. Jimmy Dykes
    5:18 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Sports Illustrated is a non-factor in sports…has been for years.

12. Big Blue B-Rad
    5:22 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Well I know why Givens wasn’t mentioned…… remember the team UK beat that year.

13. RealCatsFan
    5:23 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

8 – agree. Any rag that employ’s douchebags like Thameltoe are completely irrelevant in my book. Their only saving grace is printing a bunch of pictures of cameltoe for the swimsuit issue. If it wasn’t for that, they would have folded long ago.

14. Laker Cat 18
    5:25 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Can’t say I’m surprised.

15. Eight Letters
    5:27 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Seriously. Besides the swimsuit edition, how many people ever buy a Sports Illustrated? I get my sports info from the most reliable source on the planet…….KSR.

16. Uncle Si
    5:28 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Whenever Seth Davis is on CBS, I make a note who the sponsors are, because I know Davis purposely will somehow directly or indirectly take shots at UK. It’s his ammo on twitter. So, I purposely will not do business with CBS sponsors.

17. Big Blue Coming At You
    5:31 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

SI is a terrible magazine. It’s not even good material when you’re bored sitting in a waiting room.

18. D
    5:36 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Let me guess, Michael Jordan is one of top 10 NCAA tourney players. Yes, he hit a clutch shot, but what happened his other two years. Lew Alcindor – yes, Walton, Manning, Laettner – for sure. But not MJ. Wayne Turner had better NCAA tourney career.

19. On The Pot
    5:38 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

#17, or when sitting on the pot!

20. retired teacher
    5:41 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Focusing on individual players uh? I guess Jack Givins scoring 41 just wasn’t good enough. Or even James Lee’s slamming dunk on Duke for a 94-88 victory…oh well.

21. No Surprise Here
    5:49 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

It’s Sports Illustrated. Is anybody surprised?

22. Jattt Mones
    5:54 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

I guess Delk hitting 7 of 12 threes against Syracuse doesn’t rate either.

23. Cat Fan in Georgia
    5:56 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

In SI’s defense (and I have been a subscriber since the late 1960s), if you look at the 10 players that they chose, nine had either a significant multi-tournament run (Christian Laettner, Bill Russell, Bill Walton, Lew Alcindor) or played in one or more Final Fours AND had a transcendent effect on basketball (Oscar Robertson, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlain). The one exception in my mind is Bill Bradley who gets in solely because he scored 58 in the since-discontinued consolation game. No Michael Jordan, no Carmelo Anthony, and no Jack Givens. Hard to argue with those first nine, though.

24. Wildcat44
    6:26 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

CAMEL TOES!!!!!!!! As I read above Goose on cover? omg

25. money talks
    6:28 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

There is no way a UK fan should under any circumstance subscribe to this rag or the LHL for that matter…

26. bluristhurr
    6:38 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Who cares about SI nowadays when you can go to the internet and get sports news of that day and yesterday not a week later

27. Dano
    6:50 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

SI should just do the swimsuit and forget the rest. No one reads or cares anyway. I think I had a subscription once because I was helping a homeless guy who sold magazines.

28. Just Don't
    7:03 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

If you still subscribe to this $hit just end it….. No, your life.

29. Devastation Inc
    7:04 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

I am canceling my membership right now. This is the last straw

30. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    7:23 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

SI has been a rag for at least the last 40 years.

31. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    7:26 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

SI is a great mag……..for me to poop on.

32. Kentucky
    7:30 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

I don’t even subscribe to it and they keep sending me that garbage. It just goes in the trash each time. They suck!

33. Big J
    8:47 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

If BBN across this country would cancel subscriptions and not purchase this rag we could single handedly put them out of business. This was obviously an intentional snub by jealous people.

34. oldschool
    8:53 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

No Goose Givens pouring in 41 points in 78?
    No oblgatory shot of the ‘villian’ UK Cats in the 1966 black-white game?
    No pic of UK knocking off the undefeated IU hoosiers in 75?
    No pic of the Fabulous Five – who also won the Olympics?
    No pic of Adolph Rupp who revolutionized the game from the low-scoring contests to 100-point bucket-fests?
    No pics of UK’s 75 team losing to UCLA in Wooden’s final game?
    No pics from UK’s mini-dynasty from 96-98?
    Sports Illustrated has lost all credibility.

Can you Rolling Stone Magazine issuing a rock history issue without mentioning Elvis or the Beatles?
    Would Field and Stream’s look back on the outdoors snub the duck call and tree stand?
    Would an American History book be complete without Washigton,Jefferson or Lincoln?

Pathetic!!!!

35. Catlogic15
    9:42 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

No UK= Less sales.

How stupid were they?????

36. Shanghai Cat
    11:33 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

Can’t you just see those little SI fairies sitting around the board room in New York sipping on their $10 coffe – Excuse me but I ordered the double mocha creme frappe grande.

37. John Ellis
    11:35 pm March 4, 2013 Permalink

That’s been going on since the 50s. The media largely are reared on the coasts and the anti-UK stuff in NY papers during all my years there is ridiculous. They’re still mad that Rupp said he wouldn’t touch NY with a ten foot pole. And still giddy that St. John’s beat him once.

Davis had a better freshman year than any player in BBall history (Abdul-Jabbar couldn’t play as a freshman). You could rate Jabbar or Walton’s years over Davis, but of course they were bought with car dealer money, something always forgotten with Wooden’s teams (all those titles – all of them – should be vacated). So let them have their little issue, without UK it’s a fraud.

38. Grits n' Gravy
    10:01 am March 5, 2013 Permalink

SI is terrible! When I’m in the waiting room, I’ll even reach for Better Homes & Gardens than read their crap.