Kentucky, scared of Indiana? Don’t flatter yourself.

I searched “Dangerous IU fan” for the heck of it, and this came up.  That’s about how I imagined it.

You all remember that game against Indiana this past season, right?  No, not the 102-90 offensive clinic that we put on them in the Sweet Sixteen en route to our 8th national title; the one in Bloomington where we played our worst game all season and lost by one point on a last-second trey.  Remember that one?  You may also remember that Darius Miller almost got trampled, and some poor UK fan legitimately got her ankle hurt in a court-storming that showed just how little the Hoosiers expected to win.  Well, now it appears that UK doesn’t want to schedule any more games in Bloomington, probably to protect the well-being of players and fans, and HCTC is a little upset.  Check out a little excerpt from CBSSports.com:

The annual rivalry with Kentucky, though, could soon end if the two schools can’t agree on where to play the games.

From 1991-2005, the games had been played at neutral sites in Indianapolis and Louisville. Then the games were moved back to campus. Now the Wildcats, Crean said, don’t want to play in Bloomington, where Christian Watford beat them with a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in December. It was Kentucky’s only regular-season loss.

“The Kentucky game is still being talked about worked on, but it’s not set in stone because, as many of you know, Kentucky doesn’t want to play on our campus anymore and that’s certainly not our first choice,” Crean said. “Keeping it on campus is without a doubt our first choice and always has been since I’ve been here.”

A spokesman at Kentucky said the school had no comment and said the Wildcats’ schedule was still a work in progress.

Excuse me, but “many of [us] know” what, exactly?  Crean sounds a little surprised by UK’s desire to play at neutral sites, and I’m not sure why.  Rupp never gets stormed (because unlike IU, we always believe we can win), and Assembly Hall got that treatment twice last year, and I’ve already mentioned the risks that presents to all those in the building.  It simply makes more sense to put the passionate fanbases at neutral sites, where more fans have easier access to teams they love.  I love Indianapolis, and would consider going to a game there.  And fans in Louisville would have a great game in their backyard, without having to drive the 75 miles to Lexington.  Cal and Crean are buds, so I doubt that the IU coach is trying to attack Cal in some passive-aggressive manner, but it almost sounds like Crean is implying that the UK people are scared to play a team that has found its groove again.  Even renowned comment-writer cubsflan2 picked up on that insinuation:

Its funny that Uk doesnt want to play IU anymore because they know we are back. What a joke

I’ll take this moment to point out how patently ridiculous that is (and I won’t even mention the punctuation, which I’d give a solid C-).  Kentucky regularly schedules one of the most difficult non-conference schedules in the country, and last year played two of the Final Four, and four of the Elite 8 teams.  That includes North Carolina, Kansas, Louisville, and Florida.  It doesn’t include Indiana, because they didn’t make it that far.  The year before, we added future national champion Connecticut to the mix.  Let’s be clear: Kentucky is not afraid to play anyone.  The decision not to play in Bloomington is not a basketball strategy, or a way to “protect” a non-conference win, it’s a medical safeguard.  Learn to have some restraint, act like adults when you win a game, and maybe we’ll come back.  Until then, we don’t have to acquiesce to your whims.  Your non-conference needs us more than we need you.  Don’t pretend otherwise.

Lastly, on a serious note, if anyone knows the name of that girl on the right in the picture of Anthony Davis with the big check from the News and Views post, please feel free to let me know. Yowza.

Article written by Corey Nichols

73 Comments for Kentucky, scared of Indiana? Don’t flatter yourself.

1. Marvin
    9:04 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Any talk of this topic without mentioning money is humorous.

2. nawlij
    9:05 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Funny that there is no mention of the incidents of assault on Kentucky fans and their property in Bloomington last year…Barnhart caught a lot of heat from KY fans to cancel the series because of that behavior and to keep the UNC series instead….the only way the series continues is for big gate receipts and safety of the fans…period

3. JayCee
    9:06 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Crean has learned how to parlay UK’s success into his own by continually trying to interject UK into his everyday life.

4. Stay Classy IU
    9:07 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

This is why we should never go back there

5. douggercats
    9:08 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

You’re yowza for an old, fat dude in a Dr. coat?

6. Beavis
    9:09 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

HOO HOO,,,,where are you ? We need your help on this one. Some of the Hoosier fans act like we want this to be a Indy/Lexington series. From looking the Indiana’s home/away record last year it is obvious why he wants it to stay in Bloomington. If you want to play the Cats,,,lets do it in Indy/Louisville.

7. wildcat Kyle
    9:10 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#3 u nailed it! Crean is doing the whole popular by association things girls do in high school.

8. thegoosewasgolden
    9:10 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

i noticed that girl too – good eye.

9. Wildcat Kyle
    9:14 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

lets see how the Whoosiers? do with a lil expectations on them next year, something they have not had in a looong time.

10. Michael
    9:16 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

What is patently ridiculous is that you dedicated an entire paragraph to argue against a moronic comment left by a random Indiana fan on a message board.

11. bluesince66
    9:18 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I was told by someone that works with the team that Indiana made it as difficult to play there as possible. They sat the Indiana govenor right behind the UK bench along with his all his protection detail, cheerleaders would cheer as close to UK huddle as posssible, said it was unreal the level of hate in the building.

12. matt watson
    9:24 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Whats the definition of back? i mean we knocked them off in the tourney, and as soon as zeller and watford with and watford with that bad tapered fade leave they will be back to being the INDIANA team we all know and hate. Plus they beat us on a last second shot, in a game where we played not Kentucky basketball.

13. DavenderCatTheSequel
    9:28 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Second-rate programs storm the court. UK doesn’t have to play second-rate programs OOC.

14. Big O
    9:34 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

not news worthy!

15. Laker Cat 18
    9:36 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

IU’s back? Preseason #1 in some polls. Let’s just go ahead and give them a banner. I have tons of family from the Indianapolis area and before December, I only knew one for sure IU fan. After December, all of a sudden everyone I know is an IU fan. Makes me sick. I asked a cousin why this happened and he said pretty much that the majority of their fan base tends to support players opposed to the name across the chest. So yeah, IU’s bandwagoners are back.

16. OoogieBoogieMan
    9:36 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#10… I’m sure if you had to write a daily post on this site, every single topic you came up with would be a work of genius, right?

17. OoogieBoogieMan
    9:38 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#14… It’s the off-season. How much is going on that’s newsworthy? Would you prefer they shut down the site until Midnight Madness? Since you’re here, I assume the answer is no!

18. symphonist41169
    9:39 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I think it has more to do with dollars than sense, plus if the games were played away from the 2 campuses more people besides season ticket holders would have an opportunity to see both teams. If they don’t agree to a Louisville/Indy rotation I say to hell with them, they need us FAR more than we need them. Keep the UNC series or replace the Whoosiers with Ohio State or Michigan State. or even Oklahoma State & Travis Ford.

19. tyrus
    9:43 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Remember? Back in the days there was the “Big 4 Shoot-Out” played in Indy. UL, UK, Notre Dame and IU were the teams. UK would play one of the Indiana teams and UL would play the other. Two games back to back. The next year they would rotate opponents. It was a great series and fans filled the arena.

20. BlueFins
    9:46 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Maybe if IU fans were civilized we would come back up to their place. But after all the stories I heard from last year, I wouldn’t care if we ever played them again, neutral site or not. Talking trash is one thing, verbal and physical abuse is another. As Marty Brennaman would say “they should be ashamed of themselves”.

21. G
    9:46 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t Darius Miller get trampled in Bloomington?

22. MyronPryorsLivingRoom
    9:47 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

There’s nothing I love more than watching grown men act like children.

23. @woodywoodwick
    9:47 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

“Your non-conference needs us more than we need you. Don’t pretend otherwise.”
    CLASSIC! Well Said, Mr. Nichols.

24. DB11
    9:48 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Wow, good job on the article. I can’t believe I enjoyed one for once

25. UK Homer
    9:49 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Take a break from football depression and endless recruiting stories to bash IU fans? Yes please. You’ll never hear me complain about KSR posting a basketball story – it’s what I’m here for.

26. tltaworl
    9:50 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

14. This is news worthy. There is NOTHING else going on and a post concerning our schedule is as good as we are going to get. I actually thought this was one of Corey’s better posts. Lay off the guy, he is doing fine.

27. CliffFrankLou
    9:54 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#10 pretty much nailed it.

28. ShagOnSports
    9:55 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

This is the best rivalry we have in my opinion and the game should be played. I like the neutral site games and IU does not because of the won loss record during the times the game was at the neutral sites. IU keeps saying they are back but until they win the Big 10 and make a final four they are not back.

29. Mkgistebow
    9:57 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

This article is a classic example of the whiny biased fan defending every move the university makes regardless of whether it is right or not. That atmosphere in Bloomington was awesome and anyone that days otherwise is smoking crack. It’s college basketball, it’s a great rivalry, playing home and home with Indiana is great for the sport and fans alike. I HATE IU & think Tom Crean is a fraud, but they have a legitimate complaint here. On a side note, give up Corey, you can’t win. This article was an embarrassment to the site.

30. Mkgistebow
    9:57 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

*says

31. scoddee
    10:01 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

This sanctimonious bull rises to a new level of hypocrisy. Home and Home is the essence of college basketball, something your coach could not care less about.

32. REAL BLY
    10:02 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I don’t care if Crean and Cal are best buds, if my best friend’s fans treated me and my team like IU did UK…I’d tell him face to face that I will NEVER play you here again. I never hated ANY team until last year, I HATE IU AND THE FANS!!! UofL is hard to like sometimes, but IU is a disgrace.

33. JayCee
    10:03 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

29- best rivalry? Since when? Last year?

The 80’s were a LONG time ago, bra.

34. 123CATS
    10:11 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

so who is the chick?

35. TrueBlue4
    10:14 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

17-5 agaist them in the last 22 meetings, they are a bunch of angry fans wishing they could have something to get excited about

36. Rockfield,KY
    10:14 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

They can’t win outside of Assembly Hall, as was proved this past season. Plus, they cannot control their rowdy crowds, which was also proved when they beat us. We’d obviously rather play them in Rupp, but a neutral side is a good compromise and both fan bases can attend each neutral site.

37. strange brew
    10:16 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I’m 30 and I miss the days when UK/IU game was played on a “neutral site”. I understand why UK wants to go back to this. Playing at IU is dangerous. We saw how the meth-addicted racist fans acted last year during the 9th game of the season. The police did nothing to arrest these people that were clearly trying to hurt both UK players and fans.

Cal and UK has to do what is best for the saftey of their staff, fans and players.

38. Michael E
    10:19 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

That girl is crazy hot. I agree.

39. best1978
    10:20 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

IU fans are not embarrassed by Bob Knight and that is really all you have to know about them.

40. Scout
    10:21 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#31–you’re right about home and home. It’s all
    about the money at neutral court, large sites. #33–how old are you? The best rivalries go through down years, waning and intensifying as do the teams. You think UK was a legitimate rival during a lot of the Tubby years, let alone Gillispie? One of the best UK rivalry games ever was the 1975 IU-UK in Dayton, regional final. But then, you wouldn’t know that, would you?

41. Carolina Blue past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    10:31 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Knight would not play home and home games with UK and we complained. However, his argument was unreasonable, Cal is justified not wanting to put his kids in harms way.

42. bluesince66
    10:32 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

People need to wake up. What happened at IU was very dangerous. Going back to 1975 for a good rivalry game is stretching it a bit, but that was on a neutral court, and I realize it was in the tournament. Like has been said if IU can not control their fans why should UK take a chance at getting someone hurt.

43. bmt22033
    10:34 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

The next time you read or hear anything from an IU fan, just remember what #39 told you!

44. ShaneBlue
    10:35 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#40 – Really? Are you knocking a guy because he wasn’t around to see the 75 game?

45. Bill Lamb
    10:51 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Indianapolis is almost twice as far from Louisville as Lexington is. I would not consider that a plus for Louisville UK fans.

46. bluesince66
    10:51 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#46 Not paying attention are you. While I didn’t talk to Cal I did to others associated with the team and they said it was dangerous. If IU doesn’t want to play on a neutral court then it’s not our problem.

47. David
    10:52 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Hey Corey, the girl you are talking about is the owner of The Wildcat Wearhouse chains.

48. jhn
    10:56 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

The reason UK doesn’t want to play in Bloomington has nothing to do with safety- its a way to ease the scheduling problems UK faces while generating more income for both schools.

By playing in a neutral site- the teams can charge more for tickets, split the proceeds, and at least with regards to IU, play in a larger arena.

Playing a game every other year also fixes the louisville game every other year. It provides a premier game for Louisville and will generate more income (as it will sellout at a higher price than season tickets). Its a win-win financially and schedule wise for UK.

I wish they would consider bringing back the Big-4 from the 80’s. They just need to change the teams- maybe add Ohio State instead of Notre Dame. How is that for a Big-4? IU, UK, UL, OSU?

49. tom
    11:00 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

i want a link where the players said they were in danger
    haha, this whole argument is hilarious. UK fans are literally the trash of the earth and the entire state is a laughing-stock to the country.

50. Mkgistebow
    11:14 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

48-so a water boy told you it was a dangerous situation???thank you for proving my point for me you wimp.
    50-I understand your logic and believe that is te hold up as well I’m just sick of a small amount of our fans stooping to the excuse making level I usually see in our opponents. Also I believe the home and home is more captivating and exciting then the neutral site. 2 best reg season college basketball games this yr-us at IU and unc at rupp. A neutral site could not have replicated these phenomenal contests.

51. DavenderCatTheSequel
    11:17 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

51) You guys storm the court. Even UofL doesn’t storm the court. We’re the champs. You haven’t been champs since Ronald Reagan. It was great knocking you out of the tournament, but you’re just another ankle-biter program. You’re coming off probation, offering 8th graders, so you don’t even have the whole “right way” to cling to any more. You made the sweet 16 & your fans are having a circle jerk. The laughing stock of the country are the clownpants the Hoosiers wear in warm-ups. UofL=little brother. IU=big sister.

52. KyKid
    11:20 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I dont care if we play them on the moon or in a freakin submarine. We win 9 out of 10.

53. Mitt
    11:24 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

#49…Owner?!?!? Isn’t she a bit young to “own” a retail shop? Maybe her daddy “owns” it and she just “runs” it.

54. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    11:27 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

This falls squarely on the fans. I disagree that “passionate fan bases” should schedule neutral games. We don’t have those problems with U of L. It’s because, and I can’t believe I am saying this, U of L fans as a group are more respectful, know how to win and lose, and for the most part know where to draw the line.

U of L fans talk a lot of dumb smack and some of them are pretty trashy, but every fan base has that (including ours). There is mutual respect even if we don’t show it outwardly, mostly because everyone on each side of UK – U of L has friends from the other fan base.

My experiences with individual IU fans and their fan base as lead me that they are the most hateful, obnoxious, disrespectful, and self-righteous fans in all of basketball. I hate being grouping a whole fan base together, but I have yet to meet a true IU fan that wasn’t all of these.

But hey, what can you expect from a group that still worships world class a-hole Bobby Knight, even as he won’t acknowledge the school’s existence voluntarily.

55. Realist
    11:27 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Now I hate IU as much as the next UK fan but I think we need to slow down a little before we bash and bash them about not being able to win away from home. It was only a year ago when we couldn’t buy a game away from home in the SEC until we got hot at the end of the season. Now I’m not saying theyre back until they prove it by making a final four or two but they’re headed in the right direction. Which is all the more reason to keep the rivalry going in some way and I hope we can make it happen. There was nothing sweeter than knocking them out last year.

56. Axe Cop
    11:31 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Don’t think his bill is QUITE curved enough….

57. Cory
    11:39 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

We will be a underdog in this game next year regardless of where it is played. That does not however mean we are scared of them.

58. Mitt
    11:41 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

Looks like it’s #47 now. WTF?

59. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    11:44 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

45-point was for every other year the game would be played in the Ville.

60. Viren
    11:47 am April 26, 2012 Permalink

I think we should have just cut the chord with Hoosiers. I understand it is a great rivalry game but let’s face it they need us more than we need them. I wish we could still continue our series with North Carolina, one of the game I enjoy the most and look forward the most like many UK fans. There are plenty of powerhouse teams who would not mind starting a series with Kentucky.

61. bluesince66
    12:07 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

Hey #50 keep on thinking you know everything, you have no idea who I spoke to. The name calling is nice what are you 15 years old? Also glad to see you know it wouldn’t have been as good a game on a neutral floor.

62. Tom Blevins
    12:46 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

40. I’m not sure I understand your comment about Kentucky not being a legitimate rival durring the Tubby years. We can fault Tubby for a lot of things, but not for his record against Indiana. He was 8-2 against IU. It is true that one of his losses to the HJoosiers was a 53-79 blowout, but one of his wins over them was an 80-41 barn-mule-whippin’. 5 of the 10 games in the Tubby era were decided by less than 10 points. Even durring Billy Gillispie’s brief stay, we broke even against IU, going 1-1 against them. I do remember with fondness our win against the Hoosiers in the ’75 regional finals. It was one of the best basketball games I’ve ever seen.

63. serdi
    1:00 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

Bob Knight was the one who started the neutral site situation with UK-Indiana. It was fine for Indiana fans when Bob Knight was there. We should keep the Bob Knight tradition and play them at a neutral site. If they don’t want to do, screw em. We don’t need them.

In fact, we have also played North Carolina as a neutral site game over the years in Greensboro or Charlotte and in Louisville. I’d be great with making that a neutral site game as well

I’d rather keep our series going with North Carolina

64. UKblue
    2:20 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

49 and 31, forget about what happenend in Bloomington. It’s fans like you that make me not care if we discontinue the series. So ironic that you call UK fans sanctimonious and hypocritical. IU fans have such an irrational unhealthy level of hate for UK (and Cal) that it causes you to spew the most ridiculous unfounded garbage about all things Kentucky. Get over yourselves. We don’t need your hate founded in envy.
    Bring back Carolina.

65. ukbluek
    2:26 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know if the guy in the picture actually knows this, but he’s doing a great impression of Bobby Singer from Supernatural.

66. yourmom
    2:56 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

Everyone hold up. Re-think the article. WHO IS THE GIRL? Focus on the important stuff people!

67. tsper
    4:18 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

i was wonderng, did indiana get fined or warned about storming the floor, or was the ncaa afraid of that old coach indiana fired that wore red sweaters.

68. KB
    7:20 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

I don’t EVER want to play IU in Bloomington again because I don’t feel our players or fans are safe in that environment. Occasional insults against the visiting team are normal but the IU fans put on a clinic of poor sportsmanship the entire game, cussing out players, screaming insults and all at the top of their lungs. They were like rabid dogs.

69. jeffj
    8:30 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

play iu in bloomington? no problem,take our lex national championship riot squad along. i seen iu beat us for the only time ever in rupp// sure it hurt. 2 yrs later seen mashburn & co. beat em in indy. my take is play em anywhere any time so we can prove dominance since the mid 70’s

70. jeffj
    8:32 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

wow ! just noticed i got line 69 ! !

71. crackerhillbilly
    9:07 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

Play ’em home-home, but we get to have some KSP officers behind our bench in that crackerbox they call an arena and they can have ISP officers in Rupp. Bring it, Whose-Your-Daddies.

72. ekublue
    11:54 pm April 26, 2012 Permalink

We should play in Indianapolis and Louisville for bigger revenue plain and simple. We fear playing no one I enjoyed getting revenge and ending the seasons of W. Virginia, North Carolina and Indiana the past two years in the tournament along with multiple wins against the Tar Heels and the Cards and none of those teams storm their courts but Indiana. It should be an honor to play us just to get beatdown if we even choose to play Indiana at all. I’m glad the rivalry’s back but we call the shots, we run this so everybody else stay in your lane.

73. A lot of thanks for each of your work on this website. My daughter loves working on investigations and it’s simple to grasp why. Most of us learn all relating to the compelling ways you give important guidance through your blog and as well as encourage response from other people on the area of interest while our daughter is now starting to learn a lot of things. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the new year. You are always carrying out a fabulous job.