Kentucky puts on their headbands and fights back

That picture says it all. With their backs to the wall, the Cats fought back and got a crucial 74-70 win over Vanderbilt, reigniting hope for the rest of the season. From the intro video right down to attitude on the court, the Cats looked like a new team tonight. Let’s break it down.

— The key to victory? Strong guard play from Ryan Harrow and Archie Goodwin. For several weeks, the Cats have suffered due to lackadaisical play from the two, but tonight it was one of the Cats’ strongest suits. Ryan Harrow was particularly impressive, posting 12 points, five rebounds, four assists and no turnovers after going scoreless in the past two games. More importantly, he looked like a complete player, dishing it out and giving the extra effort that he’s lacked at times this season. Archie Goodwin also played well (despite what Cal called a few “Oh my gosh” dumb moments), scoring in double figures for the first time in four game with 16 points, six rebounds and three assists. The reason this team looked better tonight? Both Ryan and Archie played well, combining for 28 points off 13-23 shooting, 7 assists and only 2 turnovers. With Nerlens out, rebounding is more important than ever, and Harrow, Goodwin, Mays and Polson combined for 20 rebounds.

— Archie said the squad had a players-only team meeting after the Tennessee loss to discuss what they had to do to win. In the meeting, the players asked Ryan Harrow to step up, spurring Harrow to nervously go to Cal and ask for his starting spot back. “I know how much this team needs me, and when I’m not playing well you see the end result. …I grew up a little bit.”

— The star of the stat sheet? Willie Cauley-Stein. After dropping a dud in the Cats’ first game without Nerlens Noel, Willie came roaring back, leading scorers with a career-high 20 points, along with 7 rebounds and 3 blocks, 2 of which saved the Cats down the stretch in the second half. Willie looked like a totally different player, dominating the post, battling for boards, and showing off some serious touch around the basket. After the game, Kevin Stallings said Willie was the difference in the game: “He kind of just did it how he wanted to. We should’ve just asked him what his preference was. Other than asking him, we couldn’t have been any more accommodating, I don’t think.” Even better? Willie made 4-7 of his free throws.

— Because of Willie’s play, we are now #TeamHeadband. Before the game, WCS tweeted that he was breaking out the headband once again and made Blair Waldorf proud with his performance. Also, the Cats are now 6-1 when Cal doesn’t wear a tie, which not only proves that the casual look works best for this team, but also that Cal read Drew’s post from earlier this week.

John Robic is #TeamHeadband, too:

— However, nothing is ever easy with this group. Vandy rallied in the second half, cutting the lead to two with three minutes left. Like they did in Nashville back in January, Vandy just refused to pack up their protractors and go home. Who finally kicked them off the lawn?

— Uncle Julius, who proved once again that he’s worth his weight in Werther’s Originals. Although Mays had an off night scoring-wise, he chipped in six assists and scored six of the Cats’ final thirteen points to hold off a Vandy rally. Julius did all the little things to help the team win and continues to be the leader this team so desperately needs. After the rout by Tennessee, Julius said that he was going to call out some of his teammates for using Nerlens Noel’s injury as an excuse for their poor play. After the game, Cal said he did just that: “Julius is holding guys accountable. [The other players] don’t all like it, but it’s better coming from a teammate.” Cal said that by giving all physically and emotionally can on the court, Julius has earned that right.

— It’s only fitting that in a game where the team showed some fight, that this guy was the Y:

— After months of barely cracking a smile on the court, the Cats finally looked like they were having fun out there. What helped them loosen up? A game of dodgeball. Cal said that the team played the coaches in dodgeball before the shoot around last night to “lighten the load.” Cal put a football helmet on because he knew the players would be coming for him: “I had to put a helmet on, if you understand why. I knew they are down there huddling saying: Let’s just all throw at Coach. And I’m like, you say when you want. There’s a couple of you I want to throw at, too, now.”

If you can dodge a wrench, can you dodge the bubble?

— Alex Poythress even roared. Poythress posted seven points off three Hutchersons and a free throw, unleashing his inner beast and hustling on defense. The Cats held Vandy to 44% from the field, but failed to stop the Commodores from doing what they do best: scoring threes. Vandy had 10 of them, which isn’t as much a failure on perimeter defense as a sign of how much they miss the defensive presence of Nerlens Noel. With Noel out, the team was forced to double up on almost every drive, freeing up the three-point line for Vandy’s trigger happy trio of Rob Odom, Kendren Johnson and Kyle Fuller.

— Things you never thought you’d hear an announcer say during a game? Kyle Wiltjer is Mr. Defense. Joe Dean Jr. actually asked “Who says he’s slow?!” Because Kyle had a decent game, I’m just going to let that one hang right there.

— The takeaway from tonight’s game? The Cats fought back. After the UT game, the fan base was at its lowest point in the Calipari era. I was depressed, you were depressed, the team was depressed. After the game, Melancholy Stein Willie told reporters that after the UT game, he was so depressed that he barricaded himself in his room with a sheet over the window (presumably with some fair trade tea and Sufjan Stevens on repeat). Sounds about right, doesn’t it?

Kentucky could have rolled over and died tonight. Be honest, part of you expected them to. But instead, they pulled themselves up by the ropes and fought back. It took a players-only meeting and a game of dodgeball, but the team finally remembered to have fun out there. And as we’ve seen with Cal’s past Kentucky teams, a team that’s having fun is hard to beat. “They played with confidence today. And that’s what we’re talking about.” Cal said after the game. “You’ve gotta fight and battle. If you want good things to happen, make them happen.”

Will this win boost the Cats’ postseason resume? No, but it certainly doesn’t hurt. With Ole Miss falling to South Carolina, the Cats are in sole possession of third place in the SEC. Bizarrely, Cal put it best when he said that he wanted to film a video for his website in which he laid down in a casket, slowly sat up, turned to the camera and said “We’re not dead yet.” There’s still plenty to work on and the road only gets tougher, but if the Cats can turn this season around after the tragic loss of Nerlens Noel, “Wouldn’t it be a great story?”

It would, and it’s one that after tonight, we might be able to believe in.

84 Comments for Kentucky puts on their headbands and fights back

1. theSkinny81
    12:04 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Great win by the Cats, but I dont remember a 34 point blowout? lol

2. Oohlala
    12:06 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

After all the crap these guys have had to read and listen to how bout some love for the guys tonite. I saw a lot pf improvement in them tonite and they should get some praise. Keep it up guys and go get Missouri Saturday.make BBN and Noel proud. Dont listen to the haters. The true fans support you always!!!

3. Hooty
    12:10 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Cut polsons minutes & he still produces. And you cut him down like he’s nothing. Ain’t that a *****?

4. Buzzer Beater
    12:15 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Loved the Team`s attitude – Mayhem is everywhere!!!!

5. IHateRadio
    12:19 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Why does I heart radio quit working, pause, not come up at all, or all of the above. I thought the internet was suppose to make this stuff easier.

6. Linda Taylor
    12:39 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Jaleel Hytchye one of our football recruits was answering questions on ask.fm tonight and here is one of the questions posed by a fan:

Welcome to #BBN! We love how you showed up that UL coach. Also have you ever looked at the fan site for UK kentuckysportsradio.com they love you over there

His answer:

lol i love them just as much

I just thought you guys would enjoy that.

7. We Hang Banners
    12:43 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Great win moving ahead….but i have to say that MKG dunk was nasty as hell.

8. mashburnfan1
    12:44 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

you say reignite hope for rest of season….REALLY. I am glad we won but fact is we struggled to beat a horrible team at home. Fact is, even with Nerlens, we lost at home to bad teams like Baylor and Tex A&M and to a horrible Bama team on road. We just got beat by 30 at UT and it was not that close and just because we escape a horrible Vandy team at home we should reignite hope. Fact is we will be in NIT, even if Nerlens was still playing, just without Noel we lose in 2nd round of NIT. All this in a year when college basketball is really bad and we still can’t make the tourney. I am just being realistic here folks and hope I am wrong, just have not seen anything from this group to tell me I will be wrong.

9. LansingCat
    12:45 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Thanks for this write up, TT. It makes me feel good inside to have a game like tonight, and this post is a direct representation of how I feel. Ahhh…peaceful sleep tonight. Bring it on, Saturday!

10. Jpo
    12:53 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

8. My biggest pet peeve: “I hope I’m wrong but…” I guess you can’t lose though, because either your pessimistic view is right, or you “hoped you were wrong” anyway so win-win. Way to go out on a limb buddy!! 🙂

11. katzrjamers
    12:55 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Glad Cal didn’t do the casket thing-been done by Texas coach Abe Lemmons on his weekly TV show in the late 70’s, Lee Corso when he coached IU, Hawaii BB coach Riley Wallace in 2006, and even Billy Donovan at a UF midnight madness. Nice idea, but best to keep it buried.

12. I Say
    1:04 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Yeah but what about Poythress’s dunk? Oh my!

13. mashburnfan1
    1:14 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

10} It is not a win-win. If we don’t make tourney all BBN loses so that is why I hope I am wrong. I just don’t see anything from this group, even with Nerlens, to show we will, or deserve to make tourney. For your sake maybe you want me to say this. We suck, don’t even deserve an NIT bid. Sure fire first round NIT loss here.
    I just have seen us struggle with very bad teams all year so that is why I said what I did in post 8.

14. Juliet
    1:36 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

8. Bama is #2 in the SEC standings, so as far as the SEC being horrible, they are not as horrible as some.

The game wasn’t as much of a struggle as the score says. Perimeter D was awful, but the Cats were aggressive. They fought and kept the lead most of the game. They gave effort. They didn’t look completely lost and rattled. If a team shoots well against you it is going to be close usually. The main problem is still scoring droughts. However, tonight they just got tired at a point, and that happens when you are giving maximum effort. The committee doesn’t look at victory margin. So if they come out with their hearts and their heads, they can beat Mizzou Saturday. But only if they want.

15. NYUblue
    1:58 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, the ‘Bizarrely’ sentence struck
    me as ‘too’ creative…
    grammatically speaking.

16. Mashman93
    2:28 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

If a couple of the players on this team had a heart as big as Jorts maybe we wouldn’t be a bubble team. GO BIG BLUE!!!!

17. Catlogic15
    3:16 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

The UT game was Saturday. Not Sunday.

18. iucansuckabigblue...
    3:20 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Heart, pride, grit, respect, team work.

Great game. I care if we won by 45 or 1. Its a much needed win.

Keep fighting, keep getting better and have fun.

5. When iheart acts crazy try restarting it. Sometimes I have to switch between 840 and 530 in lex.

Go Big Blue!!! On to GameDay.Beat Mizzou!

19. tdogg40330
    4:35 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

they played better than the score indicates and they seemed to have fun
    doing it. That was a very good start in the right direction, lets get
    behind these kids and see how it turns out. I still believe there is
    enough talent on this team to get it going and make a run in March.
    GO CATS !!!!!

20. Stanley
    5:21 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Wiltjer’s being put in the corners for 3 pt shooting i guess. So much for running the offense through Wiltjer I don’t understand how it can look so good and work so well, and then Calipari scratches it and puts him a corner. I didn’t even see the high screens and pick and rolls at the top of the key or nothing. Am I missing something?

We’re going to have to get it together fast if we are going to have a prayer of making it to the dance.

21. KeepingItReal
    6:20 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Yea we beat a team that has a RPI of 140 by 4 points at home. Yea!!!!!! WCS dominated a team that is rated lower than some team named Bryant(who probably couldn’t beat Kobe by himself), Green Bay(Not the Packers),Pacific(Who cannot throw the ball in an ocean) and something called FGCU. Get ready to hang number nine!!!!!!!!!!

We could have beaten a wheelchair team last night asnd the writers on here would still be pumping sunshine.

22. Beavis
    6:28 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Still have the same problem,,,,our guards cannot keep anyone in front of them. The Vandy guards went to the basket anytime they wanted. Phil Pressey will have a field day on Saturday.

23. dan simon
    6:29 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Have to take issue w. Joe Dean Jr regarding Wiltjer’s defense- when little guard(Parker or Porter- whatever) went down the lane UNTOUCHED 3 different times- last man he went by was Kyle.

24. 9in2014
    6:49 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

A good team would have beaten vandy @ home by about 20.

25. Best of Luck
    6:49 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

“Pumping sunshine”, #21? That is a bad thing, right?

26. Truth
    6:52 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

We won and our RPI dropped. That says all you need to know about the quality of Vandy.

27. CrimsonCee
    6:54 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

“Reignited hope”??? Look, I know this is a blog and not a news site but that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen written. You barely beat an atrocious team at home. Jesus, I was going to give you guys shit and talk about the No. 1 team in the land, the Indiana Hoosiers, but now I just feel bad. Go on, reignite the hope – I’m afraid you’d have burned down a residential neighborhood if you’d lost. Enjoy the hope – this did nothing for your tourney chances. Personally, I want you guys to get in as an 8 seed, win a game and perhaps meet the overall 1 seed. Hope, Red, is a good thing.

28. catfandan
    7:08 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

27, I live in Indy now. Hoosier fans are so stupid. They are not even ashamed they got rings for getting to the sweet sixteen. They think they are a historically relevent program, HAHAHAHA. I walk around the state and just feel sorry. They will lose olandepo and big ugly and will get smoked next year. Most of your idiot fans think Calbert Cheney coaches the team.

29. [email protected]
    7:10 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

30. JoeMoney333
    7:30 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

I have to say from watching the game it was encouraging. I will agree looking at the #’s and final score int doesn’t seem like it’s anything to feel good about, but for most of the game (before they all got tired from effort! Finally!) It felt really positive. Saturday will be the real test.

31. R. Smith
    7:35 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

#29, I have to agree.

Its nice to see Harrow, Goodwin and WCS show up but what we saw last night isn’t going to beat Mizzou, Arkansas or Florida.

32. tuxedo park
    7:44 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

I live in Indy and up until they beat the Cats in that little trash heap they call Assembly hall, I hadn’t heard a peep about the hoosiers in 4 years. So you, congrats on the #1 rating, but hold on tight or you might fall off that big bandwagon you’ve all jumped on.

33. RealCatsFan
    7:52 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

A step in the right direction – I will give them that. They played with more energy, but I still can’t understand how a team can get beat time after time on drives to the rim. Uncontested layups! This is the worst defensive team that Cal has fielded at UK. I guess it is tough to evaluate defensive ability on the AAU circuit, since apparently those kids aren’t in the habit of playing any defense. I am wondering if Cal’s teams have come to rely on shot blockers so much that they sacrifice playing on-ball defense. With the loss of Nerlens, they are having trouble adjusting to a new defensive mindset. Maybe next year Cal needs to emphasize on-ball defense and not allow any shot blocking in practice to drive the point home.

34. bsquaredcat
    7:58 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

For those of you saying we “struggled” to beat Vandy, or complaining about the score, did you even WATCH the game? We controlled the game the entire time, and the close score simply does not represent what actually happened. More importantly, the effort was 150% and the guys actually looked like they were having fun almost the whole game, which I do not remember happening before, ever. We have to take this one game at a time, but I’m happy with tonight’s performance and hope we can build on it.

35. RealCatsFan
    8:00 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

“CrimsonPee”, I’ll give the Hoosiers credit for finally beating a good team on their home floor away from Ass Hall, but don’t get your chest puffed out too far. College basketball is down across the board this year, so being number one is somewhat like being the tallest midget in the room. If your team manages to finally break that 27 year streak without winning a championship, then feel free to come over here on a UK SITE and talk your smack.

BTW, nice acting job by Quasimodo (AKA Zeller) the other night. The MSU player barely brushed him, and Zeller doubled over like he had been punched in the gut and looked back at the ref for a reaction. The ref blew his whistle, but when they reviewed the tape it was obvious that he was acting – no foul. Did Crean teach him that, or is that just an Indiana thing? From the looks of Crean’s reaction to the flagrant foul called against Watford, douchebaggery just comes natural on that team!

36. Truth says
    8:09 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

It looks like some one photo shopped Wiltger in the above picture. He has never jumped that high. He usually struggles to get both feet off the floor at the same time. He is, at best, practice meat, bench material. Polson is a better sub that KW is. I think I could score ans many as he does. The truth has spoken.

I have serious doubts the CATS can win Sat. This is actually their season. Get whomped and NIT. No hope remains if a loss. Cal may not be dead but this team is marching toward the end.

37. BigRush
    8:18 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer is a great threat on offense… But his defense is still horrible. When stallings took him outside the three point line, they went around him like he is a traffic cone. He needs to be STRICTLY playing defense inside the three point line. I realize he got the one steal, but his foot speed is too slow to be out there.

38. mikeyUKfan1
    8:20 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

hey KSR ! please put up this video of MKG ! It’s AWESOME ! ! !
    Go Big Blue ! ! !

39. Mike
    8:20 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

They had a team meeting and only asked Harrow to step up? Poythress would been my main target. I can’t believe he keeps a pass from a lot of folks. It is up to us discerning, rabid fans to point out his continued underachievement and lazy and lethargic play.

40. mikeyUKfan1
    8:22 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

I agree #34 ! ! !
    Go Big Blue ! ! !

41. Hawkeye tim
    8:26 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

If you didn’t play above JV ball (because the coach screwed you)…please stop giving coaching tips on who and how to play. Coach Cal and his staff do know what they are doing…..

42. bung
    8:27 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Pretty simple story…we ran in the 1st half and quit running in the 2nd half
    Vanderbilt vs Kentucky (02/20/13 – Period 2 00:00)

POINTS OFF TURNOVERS 1 2 – Tot

Kentucky……………. 10 2 – 12

BENCH POINTS 1 2 – Tot
    Vanderbilt………….. 7 11 – 18
    Kentucky……………. 6 4 – 10

43. niaps
    8:28 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Cats win and don’t suffer a loss to a very bad team. That is what was accomplished last night. Missouri is coming to town and this team is not Missouri ready. A sustained 40 minute effort last night would have given the ” doors” a 20 or more point drubbing. This team seems to lack that kind of effort and believe me that is their only hope at any chance of beating a very fast Missouri team. Every game by this team this year has a 5 to 6 minute dead zone where they cannot score a point blank shot. If that happens Saturday then expect another beat down.

44. UK Fan
    8:28 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think our prospects going forward are apt to change much but it is at least encouraging to see UK play with a little effort and emotion.

45. lou
    8:28 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Good win and effort overall tonight. I hope we can keep up the intensity for Missouri on Sat. Regarding Indiana, I believe that as much as we disdain UL that they are a team that wi h the do a number on theIndy boys. UL somehow seems to play their best at tournament time as demostrated in the big East tourney past few years….just saying Indy isn’t a lock for NC.

46. Eric K
    8:29 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

#27= LOSER!! GO CATS!!

47. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    8:31 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Eat Sh!t 21. Thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to come on here and blast the team after a good win at home.

48. mikeyUKfan1
    8:35 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

come on #39, these kids went through a lot last week because they lost their star player Nerlens Noel. They thought that it, the accident, could happen to them; there were a 1000 different thoughts going through there heads until Coach Cal had them play a game of dodge ball.
    Yes, a game of dodge ball could have just saved the season ! http://www.coachcal.com/20820/2013/02/the-five-rules-of-dodgeball-dodge-dip-dive-duck-and-dodge/
    As far as I’m concerned as a TRUE UK FAN, this team is 1 and 0 and everyone that played contributed to this win !
    Go Big Blue ! ! !

49. asdf
    8:41 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

It was good to see Willie blocking the shots late. The more he develops into a presence, the less our defense will have to sag and maybe we can stop the three as well.

We ain’t there, but definitely a HUGE step in the right direction.

50. red headed step child
    8:44 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

51. David Stern
    8:45 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Patrick Patterson has been sent to Sacramento to play with Boogie.

52. Sammydog
    8:46 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

The team I saw last night was a nice surprise and this could be a turning point. The past is wiped away and they are starting all over. They can write the script.

53. UKlove
    8:53 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

I got chills multiple times watching the game last night, and I got them again reading this post! I saw heart last night, which is something this team has lacked a lot of this season.
    Also, Coach Cal’s dodgeball idea was brilliant. He made this team realize that they were lacking the “fun” element of the game, and I haven’t seen as many chest bumps, high fives or even smiles all season as I did last night.

Well written! Nice Job, TT!

54. Laker Cat 18
    8:57 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Very impressed with WCS. Overall team performance was improved. Guards looked good. Poythress getting 7 and 4 still isn’t helping much though. A 4 point win against a bad Vandy team at home isn’t that impressive to the NCAA committee.

55. Rockfield, KY
    8:59 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

I’m just glad for a win after losing the best player and projected #1 pick in the draft. Zeller is extremely happy he won’t have to play Noel in the tourney and get exposed for the second year in a row once away from home.

We were much better last night in spurts. Now we just need to figure out how to play an entire game and not get careless once we have a lead.

56. Matt
    9:03 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

They were a joy to watch last night. When you can tell they are having fun and hustling on every single play it makes it fun to watch no matter what the outcome of the game is. UK fans are pretty simple, if you leave it all on the floor we will love you and defend you from all of the haters no matter what. That’s all it takes.

57. rick
    9:06 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

It was a bad win, team looked bad in the second half, cant guard anyone. Will be yelling and screaming sat. but Missouri will be a tough win. Harrow could not start for Vandy, he did show some fight last night and he and Polson are probably playing as good as they can.

58. Laker Cat 18
    9:07 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

56. Agree 100%.

59. theSkinny81
    9:15 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

27 – Your Indiana Loosiers hadn’t won at Michigan State in TWENTY TWO YEARS until the other night. You all gonna emblazon THAT on a popcorn box, too? Elite teams don’t have losing streaks like that, especially to in-conference opponents. I guess it’s safe to say, you all have been MSU’s bitch for some time now?

We get it, you’re decent this year, but keep in mind – we’ve won 3 titles since your last.

As an asterisk, I was driving through the Bloomington area for work the day before yesterday, and heard an ad for a radio show “Hoosier Nation” or “Hoosier Country”, whatever, and the whole ad had nothing for background but the radio play-by-play of the Watford shot last year. Nothing else. The greatest day in Loosier history. Talk about completely sweating one’s nuts…..

60. baby steps
    9:17 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

survive and advance

61. rick
    9:19 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

27, Thanks for posting on this site, BIG BLUE NATION gets every ones attention. And #59 well said.

62. Rae
    9:20 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

54. Any win against Vandy wouldn’t be impressive. Remember what Matt said? The committee doesn’t look at margin of victory. So a blowout and close game are all the same in their eyes.

63. Bledsoe's Biceps
    9:20 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

The first half play was a big improvement. They actually tried to increase the tempo and had 4 fast breaks. Instead of walking it up the floor and playing the modern version of the 4 corners offense, we have seen the past two months. Archie, Ryan & Willie all looked great. But the second half the pace slowed to their normal mode. Did Ryan even score in the second half? I’m really glad to see steps in the right direction, but we’ve seen these occasional glimmers of progress several times before. I’m not going to get optimistic, just because they beat a bad Vandy team by 4 points. They were favored by 12.5.

64. Just Good Ole Lol Again
    9:26 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Congratz go out to the Cats! First, they beat a group of middle aged men in dodgeball. #superimpressive. Then, they followed that up with a 4 point blowout of a terrifying Vanderbilt squad in the Erection Zone. #superduperimpressive With this kind of improvement, I’ll bet they make it to the second round of the NIT. #miracleonice

65. FLASHY
    9:29 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

#6 – “Psych”!

#64 – That’s is the most funny post I’ve read on this site EVAR! Thank you.

Vandy is now going to try to get it right, as they begin their voyage back into the bracket with a 10-15 record.

66. FLASHY
    9:30 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

#NBAonKSR

67. jorts lover 69
    9:30 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

JORTS IS MY HERO, I LOVE HIM, HIS PRESENCE IS THE REASON WHY WE WON LAST NIGHT

68. jorts lover 69
    9:32 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

J-O-R-T-S JORTS! JORTS! JORTS!

69. John Ellis
    9:33 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Stallings is typically insulting of Willie – Vandy didn’t lay down for him, he forced his way on them. He looked like a worthy in the lineage of Cousins, Davis, Noel – and Cauley-Stein. Sounds like a law firm doesn’t it? He plays like that and stays out of foul trouble on the SEC road and UK will be not only in the tournament but a threat.

70. jorts lover 69
    9:37 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

If Jorts were on this team we wouldn’t just win a national championship, we would win like 7

71. Cotton Mash
    9:37 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Sure the 2nd half was a slower pace than the first, but
    I think that the foul situation (refs suck) dictated that.

72. Laker Cat 18
    9:38 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

62. That’s not what Matt said, I’m pretty sure. He said that is what the head man of CBB said, not the entire committee. He said that was the one thing they disagreed on. I have a feeling that others on the committee agree with Matt on that view. Margin of victory does matter.

73. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    9:49 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

68- Kill yourself

74. Mc
    10:04 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

It was a 4 point win to a bad team at home, but I’ll try to remain optimistic. Even if they lose some games down the stretch as long as they have fun, and play hard like yesterday I’ll be happy.

75. RealCatsFan
    10:10 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

75 – taking the time to troll on another fan base’s site = pathetic case of envy. Take your meds and come up out of mom’s basement.

76. theWilkman
    10:11 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

Joe Dean Jr. is an idiot. He also had a comment last night that went something like, “Archie Goodwin is such a great player because he can score from anywhere: he can finish, shoot the mid-range jumper, and make 3s. That’s why he’s UK’s leading scorer.”

He clearly hasn’t watched any other UK games all season.

77. Stickman
    10:47 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

74–Take your own advice. I guess you’re a chubby chaser. This is Kentucky, we can have much prettier chicks on the dance team than what I saw.

[email protected] Says:
    February 21st, 2013 at 7:10 am
    “A win is a win but let’s not get too excited. Vandy is terrible. They are near the bottom of one of the worst conferences and we had to hang on for dear life on our turf. All I can say is next year should be a little brighter.”

This guy is right, and all you rose colored glasses-wearing bandwagon fans can cram that up your rear end. I love the cats and I never want to see them lose, but I also know how to live in the real world. We aren’t going anywhere this year. Big deal, it happens. We should just chalk this up to a down year, get the wins we can for the rest of the season, and look forward to returning to the top next year.

78. Stickman
    10:48 am February 21, 2013 Permalink

MY bad, I was referring to #73 and his inexcusable defense of fat chicks.

79. jorts lover 69
    12:13 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I’m not gay guys, it doesn’t count if you have a man crush on someone <3 <3

80. bsquaredcat
    12:57 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

56 – Could not agree more!! After Gillispie’s first team lost Patterson, we were terrible, and lost in the first round of the tourney. But I loved that team because they left it all on the floor. Play like that and the rest will take care of itself.

81. Nel
    1:32 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

The protractor comment made me laugh out loud T.

82. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    1:46 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

Stickman- Your comment was removed so I apologize to the current #68. You can still kill yourself though.

83. Stickman
    3:29 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

My comment wasn’t removed. It’s still there (it’s number 77 since you’re too dumb to see it), and you still love fat chicks. You’re so stupid you thought I made the original comment to which you responded.

84. BradSD
    4:42 pm February 21, 2013 Permalink

I hope coach Cal starts playing a lot of zone because our guards cant stop a lamp post from driving to the basket. They did have a little spirit tonight for a change but it was against a team that has only won 10 games.