Kentucky pulls away late to secure a 10-point win over the Vols

(Photo by AP)

Allow me to sum up this game until the final minute: Momentum. Foul. Momentum. Foul. Momentum. Foul.

Each time Kentucky hit a big basket on the offensive end, they followed it up by either committing a foul or allowing Tennessee to keep pace by scoring. At various points in the game it felt like a Julius Mays 3-pointer, or a Nerlens Noel dunk was going to catapult Kentucky into a run leading to a runaway lead. Unfortunately the big run never came, but Kentucky was still able to distance themselves just enough late to secure the win in Rupp Arena tonight. Following two dismal SEC outings, Kyle Wiltjer became the go-to guy in the final few minutes, igniting the Wildcats by hitting a few key baskets down the stretch. Wiltjer was the leading scorer for Kentucky, finishing with 17 points. After a quiet first half, Nerlens Noel finished the game with 12 points, 9 rebounds, 6 blocks and 4 steals. Noel made all of the types of plays we have become accustomed to seeing from him: diving on the floor, coming up with loose balls, blocking/altering shots, etc.

Once again there was a bit of late game controversy following a should-have-been-called foul against Julius Mays, which set up for a flagrant offensive foul on Julius Mays. With an assist from the Rupp crowd, Tennessee missed both free throws.

Kentucky found themselves in what felt like a must-win situation against a struggling Tennessee team. The Cats made enough plays down the stretch to walk away with a 75-65 win. Kentucky moves to 2-1 in SEC play.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

86 Comments for Kentucky pulls away late to secure a 10-point win over the Vols

1. Juice7
    9:21 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

CATS! Game ball to Wiltjer

2. Mike
    9:23 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

How do u figure Wiltjer out but glad he brought it tonight. A feel good win??..not..about as good as the W against Vandy. Time to move on to IU where we might see a real time play up to its ability.

3. SevenT
    9:24 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Congradulations to Tennessee on another “Moral Victory”

4. kyfanalways
    9:25 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin on the bench = ky win. Ball hogging little punk fouled out. He does more damage to uk that good. Wish he would leave.

5. JB95Jeep
    9:26 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky is their own worst enemy. They will end up as a mediocre team that only plays the first weekend of the NCAA tournament unless they start playing together as a team and stop making the mental mistakes that allowed Tennessee to stay in the game.

6. Random
    9:27 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

And if Goodwin is directly responsible for a win this season I’m sure 4 will be the first one on here praising him.

7. JB95Jeep
    9:27 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin is a ball hog that plays street ball (think Rodrick Rhodes) but, like it or not, he is our best scorer.

8. We Played Better When
    9:28 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Archie Goodwin fouled out. He should come off the damn bench next game.

9. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    9:28 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Way to compete tonight Kyle, keep it up!

10. Duuuuuude
    9:28 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

It seems like the team never shows up to play. It is usually one player steps up per game while the rest disapears. Last years team usually had at least 4 players showing up each night. Besides Nerlins, you can’t count on anybody here, even though each one is capable.

11. Ryan Harrows Flu Bug
    9:30 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Any post game show from Matt and crew?

12. kyfanalways
    9:31 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

5 you are right. They dont talk and allow each other to run into pics and screens. You can see goodwin trying to pad his stats. Noel is playing his butt off. Wiltjer is wiltjer. You never know who you are gonna get. If they dont come together soon they may miss the tournament. I hope that dont happen. These kids just dont seem to get what playing for ky means. They hurt their pro careers every time they do that stupid crap and missing free throws? Are you kidding me. Not even as good as my eighth grade team.

13. seriously
    9:31 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

at least archie had that one play where he slowed the eff down on the break and made a good pass to mays…now if he could only make that a habit

14. kyfanalways
    9:32 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I wont be praising him. I never have. I dont like his play. He is our number one scorer because he takes 40% of the shots. He is a punk who is not worthy of playing for uk. Transfer and I will say something good about him.

15. david
    9:32 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Back off Goodwin! this isnt last years team they are less mature and seem to have less basketball IQ. I still feel like they can get it together. Relax have a beer and watch IU blow one in Bloomington

16. MemphisCat
    9:33 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Baby Steps and a Win is a Win, is better then a loss any day.

17. Crizzle
    9:33 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

It’s a shame that these kids probably put thousands of hours of work into basketball over their lives to get to this point and now that their here they can’t play the way they should for 40 minutes.

18. 8in2014
    9:33 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

That was another pathetic display. If we played a team that was ranked in the top 75, that is a loss. We will likely lose at UT. This team is just not good.

19. MemphisCat
    9:34 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

This team could be call “Box of Chocolate’s” (you just don’t know what your going to get)

20. crazycatfan
    9:36 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

GOOD FOR KYLE!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope he realizes how good he can be when he just goes for it!!!

21. Big_Duss
    9:36 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Wow, tough crowd….

Stokes fouls out, Kyle, Ryan and Nerlens play well, and Vols lose….again. I’ll take it.

22. UK#92013
    9:36 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin is the cancer on this team, it was obvious tonight.

23. relax
    9:36 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

hey kyf anal ways calm down

24. So basically
    9:37 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

When wiltjer is a factor and Goodwin is not charging we’re good? Shocking

25. Steve
    9:37 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer player of the game on radio despite what he said under his breath about Cal.

26. kyfANALways
    9:37 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

@4 and @14 calm down and yell at your wife to bring you another busch light

27. agreed
    9:37 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more with #4. Goodwin is a joke. He can’t do anything right and we are a better team without him. Can’t dribble, never passes, and throws more crap directly at the backboard than anyone I have ever seen. Bench him.

28. Rex Chapman
    9:38 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Looks like we could stand to lose a few fans that are unclear how what makes a team more formadible. If Archie Goidwin sits there is ZERO perimeter defense left on the court. As out of control he may seem, he still keeps opposing teams honest on defense with his driving ability. All this still on the bandwagon can tune off the constant negativity or just join us back next year, you know that’s what you really want to do.

29. Claw
    9:38 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Be funny if Noel is the only one going pro next season and Cal talks everybody else into staying another year that can. Talk about loaded.

30. yokyle
    9:39 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

What did wiltjer say under his breath?

31. Big Daddy
    9:40 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think Goodwin is a punk or bad teammate but he forces it way too much and never met a shot he didn’t like. I think they are all playing like freshmen and really need a good veteran out there. Long way to go though and their ceiling is high.

32. Jerk
    9:40 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Anybody else see Goodwin not pass the ball ahead so he could drive against two TN players. Hope he fouls out much earlier in the next games! This is the reason this team can’t come together and I don’t understand why Cal let’s him keep up the circus shots and wild drive to the basket, where is the coaching? I have said it since the very first time I saw him play, ballhog, crazy!

33. WTF
    9:40 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

This team just seems to make EVERYTHING look difficult!

34. KeepingItReal
    9:40 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

The Vandy game and this one should count as bad wins. If either of those teams could walk and chew gum at the same time we lose. This uk team could not make the NIT final 4. Goodwin has a very low basketball IQ. Reminds me of that sosa kid for the tards. All either cares abouy is getting their points.

35. this is the last time I read coments on this site
    9:41 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

What a bunch of sad fair weather fans posting on this site. It used to be fun to read coments, but now it is not. I will not waste any more time reading what some cry baby dumb ass has to say about my team.

36. mudcreekmark
    9:41 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

26)You mean Shlitz.

37. yokyle
    9:42 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I know what makes a team more formadible. Its sharing the ball, busting your ass on defence and offence. Talking to your team mates and helping them know whats happeneing. Its about TEAM not yourself. Goodwin is all about goodwin. Not putting the young man down but he isnt a team player. Lost with five guys busting their asses and let him get his glory at another school. Western ky maybe but I like them and would hate to see him mess them up.

38. UKAlum
    9:42 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Why didn’t anyone want to storm the court with me???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

39. cognitive harmony
    9:43 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

hey look everybody! kyfanalways played ball in the eighth grade. he must be an expert.
    seriously much better energy on defense tonite. not always in the right place but much better energy. apparently it is a foul to breathe on mcrae.

40. Archie Goodwin
    9:43 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I got my points. That is all that matters. Got to keep my draft stock up.

41. Lawdog
    9:44 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer told Harrow “F him”, referring to Cal at the 12:00 min mark. Wiltjer got caught on National TV cussing our Coach. That is disturbing.

42. Jerk
    9:45 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

What did wiltcher say?

43. LoganBleedsBlue
    9:45 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer had the game of his life! Mays with 2 huge threes. Glad to have these 2 guys back on board. Had Archie hit that dunk they would of been talking about it all night long on espn. All and all a good win and a great crowd in Rupp. Go Cayts!!!

44. yokyle
    9:45 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

39 I played ball past the eighth grade. The point was I could whip goodwins ass then and he could be his little freshman ball hog. I could piss a better game than you could play. Jerk trying to be funny. Well if you want a laugh show your lady your pecker

45. Holler Baller
    9:45 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I think the free show shooter on the flagrant was rattled by a couple of snoring blue hairs near court side. UT will probably file NCAA complaint.

46. Mike
    9:46 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

If I was the Calmeister and was smart enough and good enough to have developed a decent bench, I would be very tempted to bench both Poythress and Goodwin for a full game. We go on the road for next 4-5 and that could get real ugly. This team can be diagnosed as having a cancer and these 2 dudes are the main reason.

47. UK#92013
    9:46 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Goodwin should be on the bench, then maybe we could play team ball. I blame Cal, not Goodwin. Turrible.

48. why
    9:47 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

41. Why is that disturbing? So what, I would say it too it he pulled me out of every game 12 times even when I am the only one who can create offensive

49. yokyle
    9:47 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

47 you are right. Cal is to blame for 99% of this years team being so sorry. He is the coach. Somebody call him and tell him

50. mudcreekmark
    9:49 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I will keep repeating this after every game until the end of the season. If UK is to become a factor in this years tourney, Kyle Wiltjer has to be our leading scorer.Cal has to stop the Poythress experiment and give Wiltjer the green light and quit playing him 20 minutes a night and playing Mays 32. You saw at the end of the game when we ran our offense thru Kyle how much more of a flow we had to our offense.Very good BB I.Q. Mays hit a three from the corner, what does Wiltjer do next time down, get it to him in the same spot and pick his man off him for another three that broke their back. Before Goodwin fouled out, it was pass to Goodwin, Goodwin drives, Goodwin is triple teamed, Goodwin falls, turnover or missed shit shot. Goodwin has zero BB I.Q.

51. asdgafh
    9:50 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I just want to get in a huddle with them and make them get pumped up.

52. Jerk
    9:51 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

🙁 I am sad, wiltcher finally stood up to big mouth Cal, really sick of listening to hi
    Yell, tell him to shut up Kyle !

53. Guest
    9:52 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Really, kyfanalways? I understand criticism, but why is Archie a “punk”? How hateful do you have to be to want a kid to transfer because he’s struggling? He’s not playing great right now, but it’s not coming from a place of not caring. I hope you transfer from life.

54. Bottom Line
    9:53 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

This team flat out sucks. UT is horrible, they scored 40 in two different games. We will get prison raped against a decent team. Heck, we will lost to Auburn. We have at least 4 draft picks and we still blow.

55. oh
    9:53 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

kyle can’t guard the water bottle, but he has help inside and he is more valuable on the court than on the bench

56. WOW!
    9:53 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

You guys are really dumb!

57. Claw
    9:54 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

These guys aren’t NBA players, they were in high school last year. Give em a break. Big transition. Geez, I watched the game on the computer and thought they showed flashes of brilliance at times. Only second game I’ve seen this season, other one was the Louisville game. Just decided not to obsess this season. Cal will figure it out.

58. Some Guy in Kentucky
    9:55 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

41 I am glad Kyle showed some toughness tonight. If says F– someone and plays that hard, I will take it. He competed the best I have ever seen him.

59. Jerk
    9:56 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Need to put Goodwin at the end of the bench ! Last player in after every other player on the team has fouled out, wish he wood go pro now, he will last about as long as a fart in a whirlwind in the NBA

60. troll
    9:56 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

i wish that i was as smart as all the other trolls on here that pick a ukfan name and bash the kentucky players. i know that a uk fan wouldn’t do that, so all you people acting like you are uk fans keep it up.

61. STEVE!
    9:57 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I just don’t understand Cal. He is with these players for hours every day, but several posters on this board know so much more about the character of the players – and how they should be handled – than he does. I don’t know how he has been able to win over 500 games and take three different schools to the Final four. He even trusted Goodwin enough to have him try to guard the other team’s best perimeter offensive weapon the past few games. He must be a total blind buffoon.

62. cognitive harmony
    9:57 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

yokyle – i played in the eighth grade too. so what. minor part of the rest of my life.

i will tell you this – go watch film of jordan playing as a freshmen and then watch archie. almost scary how similar they are at similar points in their development. the kid is not selfish he just hasn’t figured out when to attack and when not. when he does he will be amazing. i hope it happens while he’s still in a UK jersey.

sorry you peaked in junior high.

63. Isaac in Long Beach
    9:59 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

This comment section is a total shitshow. You “fans” can all eat shit, stop trashing our players, and enjoy a win as ugly as it might have been. You all make me sick. Guess I’m going to the Rivals board from now on, at least most of the posters there can out together a coherent thought without calling an 18 year old kid “cancer.”

Matt Jones, you’re great, but this site is so much better when you require registration.

64. Indianacat
    10:01 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

and I thought the team won tonight. I guess now UK has to win the way we want them to win or it isn’t good enough.

65. I Say
    10:01 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

#57 That just means your not a true fan. Two games? Really?!

66. cognitive harmony
    10:01 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

63 – amen!

67. Don't ruin my dream
    10:01 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Please tell me Goodwin will go declare for the draft this year??? I have a terrible fear that he comes back and screws us next year with his “team” cancer style of play

68. Isaac in Long Beach
    10:02 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

My tampon is real bloody right now.

69. I Say
    10:02 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

You’re*

70. Isaac in Long Beach
    10:04 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

68 – That’s super classy, man. Keep it up, you’re a great representative of the state of Kentucky as well as the University.

71. bigblueincincy
    10:07 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I think this team showed me that they toughed it out in the last 6 minutes. I havent seen that all year. Goodwin is the only guy that can play perimeter defense, yes he plays out of control but he is not mature enough yet. He will get better. Poythress surprised me tonight by getting alittle excited when noel blocked that shot into the stands, havent seen that all year. Wiltjer had a good offensive game but his defense is still horrible. This team will take time but I still think they can be very dangerous.

72. Real talk
    10:11 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I really think cal should try having Goodwin be the sixth man. The offense is more fluent when wiltjer is a factor. And Goodwin can come on as an instant spark with his athleticism and length

73. Hoodie an the blowfish
    10:14 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Watching Archie Goodwin attempt to play… Makes me projectile vomit
    I hope he leaves for pros… I can’t take it..

74. coldspringmike
    10:16 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

So he used the “F” word. So what, Cal is the boss, how many times have some of us used the “F” word under our breath towards our boss. No big deal, the sun will come up in the morning.

75. ULFan22
    10:18 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I hope no one realizes that all my friends and i troll this site and leave comments with the word “cancer” and “ball hog”. So far I think we’ve fooled them all. Lol, we’ve made them angry about a win. All is going according to plan. Mwahaha!! *sarcasm btw

76. Bluehaze
    10:18 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Wearer over blessed with stupidity !!!!

77. IQ test
    10:22 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I should be required to have a result above 47 before a troll is allowed to post on these forums. Probably 75% of the negative posts coming from the same two or three pimply faced adolescents.

78. Pass the ball Goodwin
    10:24 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Pass the ball

79. Darrel from Singapore
    10:26 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Why would someone from U of L call Archie a ball hog? I believe people from Louisville and fans of Louisville.. Are smart enough to shut up and zip it .. They probably praying Goodwin comes back..

80. spencercatfan
    10:30 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

I can’t believe this crap some of your are saying! You b-tched when we had Tubby and now a year after we win a championship you are b-itching again.You all talk really good smack on a message board but I bet you would not call one of these players a “Punk” to their face or probably anyone else for that matter. Leave the players alone or go root for another team! I am sick of all your complaining!

81. ULfan22
    10:41 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

Darrel, are you kidding me? You think people from Louisville and fans from Louisville are smart?

82. G
    10:45 pm January 15, 2013 Permalink

@80 – why do you think the rest of the world looks at Kentucky fans as obnoxious little children?

83. CaliCat
    12:33 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Isaac is right about not trashing players. I’m frustrated by the way it looked too, but those young guys got your team a win tonight. Go Cats!

84. Wildcatsteeler
    3:32 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

We actually look better in loses to good teams to these close wins over scrubs.

85. lou
    9:48 am January 16, 2013 Permalink

Here is the deal with Goodwin. Anyone who understands talent knows that he is the most talented overall player on the roster period. Cal needs to tell him “don’t shoot tonight” and just lock down the opponents best offensive player. We must have a lockdown defensive player to move beyond round one in SEC tourney…if we are even invited! He is simply playing out of control and Cal is responsible in the end. Once he learns defense and loses some energy then he will be able to play better offense. Right now he in one mode and that is score, score and score some more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

86. fatcat
    3:36 pm January 16, 2013 Permalink

If wiggins doesn’t develope an outside shot between now and next year, he will look just like goodwin. Teams will sit back and wait for him to drive the lanes. Thats why archie looks so bad, hes not a outside threat.