Kentucky Pickers: Your own piece of Rupp Arena

kentucky-pickers

If there’s one thing Kentucky fans love more than their teams, it’s the stuff they can buy to support them. KSR wants to see your odd and unique UK memorabilia. No, not just your run of the mill UK flag or t-shirt collection. We want the weird stuff. Have a stuffed Wildcat eating a cardinal? Send it in. A portrait of John Calipari made entirely of popcorn? Send it in. The odder, the better.

IMG_20130501_184647_681

How many of us have dreamed of playing on the Rupp Arena court? Todd Baldwin gets to play on it everyday, in the comfort of his own home. When UK replaced the old floor at Rupp back in 2000, they auctioned off parts of the old one. Todd bought one of the old free throw lanes and installed it in a metal horse barn in his backyard. He says still plays on it two to three times per week with his friends.

What about a Rupp Arena clock?

ruppclock

Ralph Halcomb bought this clock that used to hang outside Rupp on eBay six or seven years ago before it was replaced for renovations. It’s 10′ x 3′, fully functional, and displays the temperature and time. Ralph calls it “the centerpiece of my mancave.”

BONUS: A piece of the 1996 Championship floor from The Meadowlands. Submitted by Jeffery Grubb.

photo

Think you can do better? Send us a picture of your unique “UK junk” along with the story behind it and we’ll post the best ones on the website. Email pictures to [email protected] with the subject heading “Kentucky Pickers.”

6 Comments for Kentucky Pickers: Your own piece of Rupp Arena

1. busterqbundy
    10:22 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t this the same post from last night?

2. Cal'sMilkMakers
    10:56 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

Here are some quotes from Matt Jones straight from his website that he made in April,2008.

“Kansas vs Memphis….it is time for Kansas to win another. Memphis is a great team, but I simply cant pull for Calipari and the way he runs a program. Rock Chalk Jayhawk….”

Matt Jones Says:
    April 6th, 2008 at 12:01 am
    All the while running one of the dirtiest programs in America….

Matt Jones Says:
    April 6th, 2008 at 12:57 am
    “I am not going to make a post on the subject. But travel in recruiting circles and you won’t find anyone who thinks that program is clean. You are free to have any feeling about Calipari u wish but I am not a fan of his tactics on building a program.”

“You just knew it was gonna happen deep down. Karma is a weird thing and it strikes at weird times and you just couldnt imagine that Memphis would really be allowed to win a national title. With a team full of players that had run-ins with the authorities, after the fight earlier this season at UAB, after their constant problems with free throw shooting and Coach Calipari’s mocking of it as an issue and the coach’s less than stellar reputation with the NCAA, you just HAD to think that it would catch up with them.”

“As for Memphis, you just knew this would happen. All year, they have laughed in the face of those who said you didnt need to hit free throws to win, and it was those free throws that lost the game. I make jokes about this Memphis team and I do have some problems with how Calipari runs his program.”

3. Control-c Control-v
    11:54 pm May 15, 2013 Permalink

@2 – While I respect your mastery of copy & paste, I’m at a loss concerning what, if any, point you are trying to make. I believe Matt Jones has stated numerous times on the KSR show and in blog posts how he feels about Calipari now that he has seen first hand how Cal runs his program. If you wish to expound, but are considering saying “Cal cheats, Cal just rolls the ball out, UK players don’t go to class, etc”, please be so kind as to provide documentation and to compose more than one sentence in your own words.

4. Evden eve nakliyat
    3:23 am May 16, 2013 Permalink

My brother recommended I would possibly like this web site. He used to be entirely right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t consider simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

5. Holy cow. I would pay money to play just 1 pickup game on each of those courts. Kudos to you guys for having the $$$ to buy such great pieces of championship memorabilia!!!

6. Oh, and I did order a blue piece of the Rupp floor on a plaque when they sold it off, and it is proudly hanging on the wall of my office. However, it in no way compares to having those free throw lanes and such! Just think of all the UK greats that tread those wooden planks!