Kentucky Pickers: The Mighty Wildcats

kentucky-pickers

If there’s one thing Kentucky fans love more than their teams, it’s the stuff they can buy to support them. KSR wants to see your odd and unique UK memorabilia. No, not just your run of the mill UK flag or t-shirt collection. We want the weird stuff. Have a stuffed Wildcat eating a cardinal? Send it in. A portrait of John Calipari made entirely of popcorn? Send it in. The odder, the better.

MightyWildcatsLP

Today’s treasure comes to us from John Evans, who stumbled across a record called “The Mighty Wildcats” at a Greensboro, North Carolina record shop. The record cost him a quarter and contains “nothing but country songs about how awesome Kentucky sports are and how the rest of the SEC sucks.” Aside from the fact that it was recorded in 1981, John can’t find any more information about it on the internet. He uploaded all of the songs to a drop box, which you can find here.

Too lazy for that? Check out one of the tracks on YouTube:

Think you can do better? Send us a picture of your unique “UK junk” along with the story behind it and we’ll post the best ones on the website. Email pictures to [email protected] with the subject heading “Kentucky Pickers.”

12 Comments for Kentucky Pickers: The Mighty Wildcats

1. Axe Cop
    10:07 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

That’s awesome, I would frame that.

2. BigBlueKermit
    10:21 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Oddly I enough that song really entertained me

3. It's terrible to listen to
    10:25 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

I have Joe B. Hall’s record.

4. Chocolate balls
    10:45 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Please close the comments. This contest is over. John Evans is those white bald guys. From Prometheus and we are the old men that get slapped down. I apologize for being in your way John. Please Bo Jackson me like I were a young Brian bosworth.

5. Bobbum man
    10:50 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Here’s a question…. Why are all my freaking comments awaiting freaking moderation when I say nothing bad at all in any of them but then the trolls are just running wild!

6. lesigh
    11:05 pm May 13, 2013 Permalink

Man what a pal! Uploading these gems on Dropbox is a nice offering! These are awesome! Take note, YouTube UK tribute musicians. Matt needs to use these to bridge his Conway and UK obsessions.

7. ribin
    6:00 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Hilarious — go CATS

8. Duuuuuude
    6:35 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

#5……. Wondering the same thing.

9. Flupert
    6:58 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

Wow. Just wow. I ain’t never seen the beat!

10. ComeOn
    8:13 am May 14, 2013 Permalink

This is amazing!! Thank you so much for the dropbox link – now I have new gameday music! These need to be added to Rupp’s playlist…

11. I had a GREAT UK sweatshirt with that same Wildcat image in velvet, green eyes & red tongue and nose. Actually bought it at a sporting goods store at an outlet mall in Valdosta, GA back in the 80’s. I wish I still had it. My favorite UK shirt ever! The only thing that would have made it nicer is if it had listed all the championships up until that time, which would have been 5.

Too bad John couldn’t find info on that on the web. Thanks for uploading the songs! Also, I love Dropbox & use it all the time!

12. Tyler and/or John,

I just looked more closely at the record cover. I would think if you asked around, maybe you could find an owner and/or manager that has been at a NAPA store in Kentucky a long time, and maybe they would know more about the record?

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the tunes! I now have them in my Dropbox!