Kentucky leads the nation in basketball attendance (again)

wcs-florida

For the 17th time in 18 years, the University of Kentucky led the nation in attendance. Check out the Big Blue Nation atop the NCAA’s list of average home attendance for the 2012-2013 season, which is pretty impressive considering last season’s woes:

2013 Division 1 Average Attendance Leaders

1. Kentucky 23,099
2. Syracuse 22,439
3. Louisville 21,571
4. North Carolina 19,350
5. Indiana 17,412
6. Creighton 17,155
7. Wisconsin 16,843
8. Tennessee 16,635
9. Ohio St. 16,524
10. Kansas 16,438

I think Al McGuire’s famous quote about Kentucky is particularly appropriate here:

“They had it before you, they had it during you, they’ll have it when you’re gone.”

28 Comments for Kentucky leads the nation in basketball attendance (again)

1. curiosity
    7:10 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Who had the highest average the year we didn’t, and where did we fall that year? And while we’re at it, what year was it?

2. Louisville1Cal4
    7:24 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Pretty sure it was Syracuse in 2003 when they had Melo. I think we finished second then, not sure though.

3. RJ
    7:31 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Duke sucks.

4. Mr. obvious
    7:42 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

In other news the sky is blue and Louisville sucks balls.

5. brain
    7:54 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

In other news the sky is blue.

6. KCCO
    7:56 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t know Willy could levitate?

7. NCAA Statistics
    8:02 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

8. Nailed it
    8:02 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

#2 is correctamundo!

9. HillbillyInBC
    8:09 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Rumour has it that Syracuse is looking into a full-stadium setup for Duke’s first visit to the Carrier Dome. I wonder if that would push their season average higher than ours.

10. Didn't kno
    8:26 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Creighton at #6? Wow

11. KadizKat
    9:07 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

No UT fan but them getting 16,000+ is a surprise.

12. Zoso
    9:13 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

So this craps on that silly study from a few months ago saying UL had the best fan base right?

13. rockatao
    9:17 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

UT must have been counting women’s bball attendance

14. Chris
    9:58 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

#4 and #12 This is a post about us (FINALLY) and you all have to bring up UL. It’s ridiculous how much this site and the commentors talk about UL. Using the name Lil Bro looks stupid because of people like you.

15. Ben
    10:16 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Actually, if you take into account the capacity of the arena, and the percentage of capacity filled, Kentucky comes in 3rd (98.2%), after Kansas (100%) and Indiana (99.7%).

16. Chris
    10:26 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

#15 Shhh. We believe everything lord matt tells us. Don’t ruin it for us pawns.

17. Ruppeat Offender
    10:41 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Funny that every time I watch a Louisville game at the chicken bucket, the place looks about 2/3 full – but the announcers call it a sellout.

18. Deacon
    10:48 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

Build a new 30,000 seat arena. Seven thousand (7,000) more seats a game x $50.00 per ticket (including k-fund contribution) x 18 games a year = 6.3 million extra per year. In 20 years that’s an extra 126 million which would pay for it., ( a significant portion of it).

19. Dub Standard
    11:16 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

#17 UK had about 14,000 at a football game last year and reported 50,000+. Don’t say shit just to say shit. You look like a retard.

20. Dee W.
    11:44 pm August 14, 2013 Permalink

15 – your only point might be with Kansas if it was consistently at 100% capacity and you could prove that with a larger arena they would have had higher attendance than Kentucky’s average, but that is not possible to determine. The others mean nothing at less than 100% in comparison to Kentucky’s attendance numbers – lower numbers of fans are lower numbers of fans, regardless of the capacity of the arena. If our Arena was expanded to 60,000 and consistently had “only” 50,000 show up you would argue the attendance is actually lower due to percentage? Doesn’t wash.

21. #20
    12:07 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

I will do anything and everything to spin any and all stats my way. I have a ridiculously over inflated sense of self worth because I attach myself to a university that I never attended (I only have my GED, but Terrance Jones is my boy). Sorry I have to go, my cousin wife just got my welfare check.

22. Random
    4:04 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

If you’re gonna troll, at least be creative or funny. And oh yes, a proven number from the NCAA sure is spinning the stats our way.

23. Average UL Fan
    4:11 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

Dur, my team just won our first championship in nearly 30 years, but here I am in the middle of the night trolling a UK site because it’s the only thing that makes my life fill worthwhile. Oh and lol, did you hear that the KensUcKY Kayuts lost to Robert Morris in the NIT? I’ve already tweeted it to Matt 78 times since I woke up. #L1C4 Paypal Cal’s a cheater, world wide wes, NIT, blah, blah, blah, we won it the right way, one and dones, if I tweet about this kinda stuff 7,000 times a day maybe I’ll actually start to believe that Louisville basketball is superior to UK. #Cardsohard #HashtagsThatOnly11YearOldsThinkAreCool BRB whitetrash inbreds, I’m gonna go drink some Crown Royal, and post on a few more Kentucky message boards about how great the Cards are. 3 > 8 Louisville Math.

24. AnthonyBBN
    6:06 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

#15, let those schools build bigger capacity arenas and then see if they fill it up every time. Then they can be considered for top attendance.

25. Kentucky Effect
    7:25 am August 15, 2013 Permalink

But what does it mean if it’s 50% Blue Hairs that can’t even stand up or clap their hands beyond a gentle pat? The best arenas are the smaller one’s that get seriously loud (Cameron Indoor).

26. Dave
    1:24 pm August 15, 2013 Permalink

Yeah Ricky P that means you!

27. bigcatstanding
    2:51 am August 16, 2013 Permalink

Ya it’s not even close Kentucky will get more fans to show up for game day then the rest of CBB will get to come to a regular season game against a rival. Can’t wait to get this show on the road, it’s going to be like winning the lottery having Christmas early and having someone giving you season tickets penthouse seats for life to UK home games. BBN OWNS YOU YA YOU $$$$

28. bigcatstanding
    3:19 am August 16, 2013 Permalink

#23 ya you best get them in while you can. I hate to bring this up but Louisville Athletic had there best year in long as i can remember but still in the 32 in fan support from memorabilia sales. And Kentucky is 5th on there worst year I can member in a long time. Hate to bring this up also but even in a year we’re Louisville just came off their best year in a hundred years, still can’t even muster up a game day. like the article says no one outside of Louisville would care that they had that game, Florida on the other hand have 6 game days. Kentucky with 8, Louisville with none. so no matter how relevant you think your team is they carry no wait outside of Louisville. Kentucky having a fan base throughout the country, proof of that is money spent on memorabilia, 80 percent of which is basketball, and Kentucky finished fifth overall while Louisville is 32nd. No matter what your therapist says saying Robert Morris a million times won’t help when Kentucky vs Louisville it will be a mascara UK. 107. UofL 71. so don’t forget your tissues. BBN OWNS YOU