Kentucky is unranked for the third week in a row

Kentucky is absent from the AP college basketball top 25 poll again this week and for the third time this season. ┬áThe Cats received 41 votes — down three from last week — to find themselves at No. 28 for the second week in a row.

Duke is the new No. 1 team in the country thanks to Indiana’s loss to Butler over the weekend. ┬áThe Hoosiers dropped to No. 6, one spot behind No. 5 Louisville.

Calipari still likes his team, though.

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for Kentucky is unranked for the third week in a row

1. Joe
    1:31 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

If ONLY we had that nice Tubby Smith as coach, and 2-3 seniors he recruited, that Mr. Orbzhut Fellow would sure be nice to have, rather than thiese unreliable one and done’s….can we not bring Tubby back and get rid of this under-performing Calipari?
    (/S)

2. Stigall
    1:33 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Maybe a little stronger scheduling???

3. UK Fan
    1:35 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

This team’s ranking is probably appropriate.

4. Joe
    1:37 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Maybe a little stronger scheduling???
    Dood we lost to BAYLOR, at home…our low ranking/non-ranking has nothing to do with schedule it has to do with too many “L”‘s.

5. UK
    1:41 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Rankings matter a lot right now…as long as there is consistent improvement who cares what we are ranked. What matters is being the hottest team at the end of the year. Kind of like the Giants in the Super Bowl last year.

6. asdf
    1:41 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Though there are a few losses as bad as ours by current top 25 teams, I don’t think there are any ranked teams with three losses. Until there are, we don’t deserve to be ranked.

7. rainman
    1:45 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Just our luck, the world is going to end,
    and the greatest Program in history goes
    down unranked!

8. Joe
    1:46 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Just our luck, the world is going to end,
    and the greatest Program in history goes
    down unranked!

Look on the bright side, no one will learn of our poor showing, this year….

9. SexnNursinHomes
    1:47 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

7- At least we will die as reigining champions. I can die with that…

10. KBF
    1:55 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

I thought VCU had three losses

11. UKBlue
    1:57 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

We aren’t good, Cal has been telling us this before the season even started, for some reason people are surprised, we still aren’t good, UL is more than likely going to blow us out, we don’t deserve to be ranked.

12. RaleighCat
    1:59 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

If you actually think we deserve to be ranked right now then you’re a myopic fool and/or you’re not watching much college basketball. This UK team would get HAMMERED by just about anyone in the Top 25. We are nothing special yet and only looking slightly better against woeful competition.

UofL looms large and as of today I think would run us off the court. We have less than 14 days- and one piddling game against Marshall- to prepare for the Cards. Cal has his work cut out for him.

13. UK2001
    2:04 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

We only lost to duke by 7. I think we lose to louisville but it wont be a blowout. If kyle gets his 3s falling we may have a shot to win

14. Will S
    2:08 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Back on top.

15. ReallyRed?
    2:12 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

11 nice try troll. Yeah, the Birds are likely to win, but it won’t be a blowout by any means. You’ll blow us out about like you did Illinois St.

16. H.A.Milton
    2:14 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

@Raleigh Cat, Or you are a DI Basketball coach. They have kept UK ranked…

Also, we didn’t get hammered by Duke,who is number 1.

Not trying to stir sh!&@t, but the Cats are as good as at least half the teams in the top 25, even with the issues…

17. SeoulCat
    2:15 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

#12 and you clearly haven’t watched teams like Illinois and Georgetown play. As bad as we are, 95% of the other teams are just as bad or worse. This squad isnt a top ten team, but it certainly belongs in the top 25. This is a very, very down year in college basketball.

18. Bluecreeker
    2:16 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Guys, rankings or polls? I couldn’t care less about a poll which could only be likened to a popularity contest. Coaches don’t have the time to properly evaluate, and Sports columnists don’t either. UK has 1 “questionable” loss to a Baylor team that went to the Final 8 just last season. There is no shame in losing to Duke (neutral) and Notre Dame at home. Kenpom which is the number 1 predictor of game outcome has UK in the #12 spot which I think is probably just about right. RealTime RPI has UK ranked #11 (Power rankings corrected for early season).

Those who spend time sweating AP and Coaches polls should have their heads examined. And those who think this UK Basketball team is bad probably don’t know what their looking at……inexperienced maybe, but not bad.

UK lost to Duke by about the same margin as UofL did……but UK beat Samford by a much larger margin.

19. R.A. Dickey
    2:16 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Yeah. This season’s a wash. Already looking forward to baseball and warm weather. That’s ok though. There’s always next year. /UK fan, evolving, growing up. Can’t win a title every year.

20. H.A.Milton
    2:18 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

#19 U R.A. Dickey Head.

21. esteban
    2:27 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

how the hell is VCU ranked and we aren’t? weak sauce

22. Rockfield, KY
    2:31 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

2 things to say:

1. The transitive property doesn’t apply to sports. Just bc we beat someone by 10 and another team did by 2 doesn’t make us 8 pts better than them.

2. None of us are D1 basketball coaches or scout so we all need to chill out and let them play the games. None of us know what we’re talking about concerning the team.

23. cdc_uky
    2:37 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

I am ok with us lurking in the shadows right now. We will continue to progress throughout the season. I know this…if UK enters the NCAA tourney as a low seed, no one will want us to fall into their bracket.

I do wish that UofL was more than 1 game away. We will be far from ready to play them. Someone mentioned Wiltjer being on and we have a chance. Wiltjer will not be able to get his own shot against Pitino’s D and we do not screen. Let’s not hang our hat on him…

24. bluecreeker
    2:38 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

#22 Transitive property? this is a sports site last I looked. Although I agree with your comment, it was not a literal comparison. I know a lot of UK fans out there are sweating the UofL game coming up and I don’t agree with the sentiment. I have watched UofL struggle this year against mediocre competition. UK has played a much tougher schedule to date.

25. Big Whoop
    2:50 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Actually, we statistically match up fairly well with UL. They are the better rebounding team, but we shoot better than they do. If we don’t defend the 3, we lose. If we send them to the line more than they do us, we lose. For UK, defense is going to have to be at the best we’ve been so far this year.

JFWIW, there is only one poll than counts for anything and that one comes out after the Final Four.

26. Chuck Scott
    3:08 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

man i see my picture everywhere…i’ll never live that down

27. Joe Mama
    3:14 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

26: thats you? wow you should probably punch yourself in the face for me.

11 & others: Louisville game is winnable only because Dieng isn’t there and they have NO size without him. I don’t think we have anyone that can stay in front of Siva though hopefully our shot blockers won’t go for head fakes the whole game and stuff his shots.

28. St. Paul Raiders
    3:17 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Both these polls are essentially products of pure opinion, made up of biases for and against certain programs, players, etc. I only concern myself with Ken Pomeroy’s rankings. They may not be perfect, but at least they’re based on an objective formula.

29. UKBlue
    3:28 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

#27 Dieng will be back before the UK game.

30. FatBlueKid
    3:30 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

What a joke. I think we are a top 10 club. Who has the kind of talent we do? NO ONE! Pomeroy has us at 12 which is about right. I’ll say it again about Uavell. THey are way overrated, to me the most overrated team by a mile in the country. There is zero NBA talent on that team. I will be very disappointed in our guys if we don’t win by 10-15. Especially without Dong playing. How is Mizzou ranked so high?? Maybe I am crazy but in my mind this should be a very easy win. There is not one position on the floor where we don’t have a clear advantage. Siva and Harrow is close but everyone else we are miles ahead at.

31. Chuck Scott
    4:07 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

#27: yeah thats me…i can’t get away from it lol it’s everywhere i go

32. RaleighCat
    4:18 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Coaches polls are worthless. Being 19 or 20 or whatever isn’t much of an endorsement, is it?

I’ve watched this team and am very unimpressed. Your opinions may vary. They’re soft and have very little basketball IQ. It hasn’t changed much from when ND and Baylor pushed us around like a JV team. If you’re ready to rank us based on Samford/Portland/Lipscomb then go right ahead.

@UofL is all that matters right now. Then we play @Vandy on 1/10. We’ll all know what this team is made of on January 11th.

33. H.A. Milton
    4:41 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

@Raleigh, Vandy? who lost to Davidson and Marist, and Villanova at home? Whats that ish you smoking?

34. Joe Mama
    4:41 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

29: Well then I would put our chances much lower than, as Dieng gave Davis a hard time last year and I think he can take both our rookie centers to school. I really don’t care for the guy much though, feel like he should be out in the bush hunting with a spear but that’s mostly cuz im racist.

35. CardsFan99
    4:54 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

UK is un-ranked….shocker.

36. katzrjamers
    5:16 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

if any naysayers can remember past yesterday, in 2011, the seeds in our bracket were 1)Ohio State 2) North Carolina 3) Syracuse 4) UK.

We came out OK. Let’s wait till the SEC schedule starts, then worry. Oops, just remembered I was pretty worried after that late season road loss to AK, things worked out OK, though. We’ve got the best year to year program in recent history, I’m proud to be to be a Cats fan, my sympathies to you if you’re not.

37. Rae
    6:20 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

33. Vandy always plays us tough. Even last year, our games were close and we even lost one. Even when they suck, they play us close. Mississippi State is also usually a tough one, but they are horrible this year so who knows?

38. kingrex
    6:32 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

I think we are not a top 30 team right now. I personally think it is the utter chaos we seem to be in perpetually out on the floor which accounts for the ranking as much as losing two straight games. Baylor is not a good team and we lost at home. We do not guard anyone and Noel leaves his feet multiple times per possession. I love his energy but it takes him completely out of the play and leaves him vulnerable. Goodwin is a train wreck as a PG and Harrow was nowhere to be seen until a week ago. There is no good reason to put us in the top 20. I think when people are talking about the total lack of hustle/effort from more than a couple of our players (especially Poythress) then it really is different from simply looking at losses by themselves. What this has also done is rung the dinner bell for the other SEC schools. They hate us and everything we stand for and now they see us as vulnerable for the first time since the worst hire in modern college basketball history (BCG). Not only are we still the biggest game on their schedule, but now we look weak and chaotic.

39. JJ Reddick
    6:37 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

D
    U
    K
    E
    #

40. Rick Pitino
    6:38 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

My Cards are Gonna DESTROY you…in under 15 seconds.

41. 13th. Grade
    7:32 pm December 17, 2012 Permalink

Remember who was ranked #28 this time last year? Me neither. Check back in March.