Kentucky is the Talk of the SEC Conference Catchup

Gators-v-Kentucky

Sports Illustrated wanted to catch up with SEC basketball, which basically means that they spent about 700 words talking about Kentucky.  Which is fine by us, really, especially when it’s the sort of talk that’s just super flattering.

While throwing some attention toward Florida, as a potential SEC challenger, and Tennessee, a darkhorse third-favorite, the bulk of the article was overwhelmingly Wildcats.  Among the superlatives?  Player to Watch (Julius Randle), Game Changer, and Current Favorite.  What were the details?

Player to Watch

Julius Randle would be the consensus projected No. 1 overall in practically every season but this one, and many folks wouldn’t be shocked if there’s an eventual debate next spring about him vs. Andrew Wiggins. Even in Kentucky’s loaded freshman class, Randle is a level above the rest of the prospects. That’s how much promise the athletic 6-foot-9 power forward has.

Game Changer

Kentucky bringing in the best recruiting class in college hoops history has been a major national talking point from the moment the buzzer sounded on the Wildcats’ humbling first-round NIT loss at Robert Morris in March. …  It’s one of the most fascinating stories in years.

Current Favorite

Right now, it has to be Kentucky….

SI wrapped up by asking whether we could go ahead and put the “40-0 talk” to bed.  While it’s easy to say that that particular goal is impossible, I’ll also point out that we haven’t lost yet.  It’s like getting a strike in the first frame of a bowling game.   You know you’re probably not gonna get the 300, but the dream is still alive until you leave an open frame.  And it’s a personal dream of Cal’s, so until they drop the first game, who are we to say it can’t be done?

Article written by Corey Nichols

9 Comments for Kentucky is the Talk of the SEC Conference Catchup

1. ukfan
    6:20 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

Mich St.scares me, that’s it. By the time we go to Florida and play we will be clicking so well that I don’t even see it being a close game.. if we played them on their court early in the SEC schedule I may have reason to panic.. but yea, that Mich St. game has me a little bit worried

2. PhilUK18
    6:25 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

Agreed. Michigan State is the one team I would pick out as my number one concern. I would also say though that I’m not particularly impressed by their talent. Payne’s averages last season as a sophomore were just a little better than WCS’s freshman stats, and Harris put up 13 PPG with practically nothing else. I think we win that game on superior talent, by maybe 6-8

3. jezz
    6:26 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

The schedule is way too hard to go 40-0.

Michigan State to start the year is brutal. No actual game experience yet and they have to play a very talented veteran team right off the bat ? I think this is a loss. It just comes too early.

4. ukfan
    6:31 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

2/3. Although I was thinking the same thing about Kansas in 2012 and UNC in 2010.. sometimes talent just flat out beats experience.. hope that’s the case this year with Mich. St as well.

5. sterve
    6:45 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

People keep saying experience like it actually means something. Sure, I’d like to have a senior John Wall over a freshman John Wall, but experience isn’t the word people are meaning when they use it. It’s all about CHEMISTRY. Look at the Lakers. They had all the talent and EXPERIENCE in the world, but without a good chemistry, their season fell flat. That being said, having a backcourt comprised of twin brothers with a will to destroy anyone in their path is a pretty good start to speculation of chemistry.

6. catman
    7:18 pm September 4, 2013 Permalink

We got Walter White over here ^

7. sterve
    12:29 am September 5, 2013 Permalink

Jesse, we have to cook…………………………..Walt Jr. breakfast

8. Megan
    9:21 am September 5, 2013 Permalink

The first frame of a “bowling game”? Corey sounds like my grandmother. “Did that nice Phelps fellow win at his swimming game today?” That’s not how regular people, much less sportswriters, talk.

9. bigcatstanding
    12:19 am September 6, 2013 Permalink

#6 ???? What. #8 bowling is a game swimming is A meet, but I would like to hear how you would phrase it, it’s just one of those things that’s hard to say and make it sound right. lets try this / swim meet / bowling meet hell who knows lol. the thing I think we can agree on is Kentucky will be great this year, & I think they have a great chance of going undefeated. Only problem I see is just like 2010 when we went 0 for 22 from 3 and lost to a inferior opponent, I think it just snowballed and we never could stop it, no reason in hell we shouldn’t have won it all that year but focus is a big deal. I really believe with all my heart that if we are playing someone that is considered a tough opponent, that we won’t have any problem there because our focus will be on overload. Letting someone along the way that shouldn’t beat us get out in front, that could be one of our only losses, but in the NCAA barring a major injury we will not be stopped. The bowling thing is like trying to find a word that rhymes with orange, when Michigan State figures that out that’s when they beat us, so that’s not going to happen we beat Michigan State easily. Their players are either in their 3rd or 4th year, and from experience there’s normally not much growth in those years.