Kentucky is No. 4 in ESPN.com’s “Path To The Draft”

062610_wall

ESPN.com has spent the last two weeks counting down the top 20 schools that have produced the best NBA players in the modern draft era. Coming in at No. 4 on the list in today’s feature is your University of Kentucky Wildcats. The site ranked Kentucky’s top 5 draftees as part of the breakdown of why UK is ranked fourth:

Top Five NBA Draftees Since 1989:

Rajon Rondo (2006)
Antoine Walker (1996)
Jamal Mashburn (1993)
DeMarcus Cousins (2010)
John Wall (2010)

Sixth man: Tayshaun Prince (2002)

You can read the entire breakdown here. It’s a very good read.

And here are the other programs on the countdown…

20.) Syracuse
6.) Arizona
5.) Duke
4.) Kentucky
3.)
2.)
1.)

My guess for the final three spots: (3) UConn, (2) Georgetown, (1) North Carolina

Your thoughts?

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for Kentucky is No. 4 in ESPN.com’s “Path To The Draft”

1. andrew
    4:07 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

I don’t understand… where’s UofL ??? where’s IU?? HAHAHAHAHA

2. DH
    4:10 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

1) I noticed that, too. HAS to be a mistake. E5 and Eric Gordon are tearing it up…

3. duckeastwood
    4:14 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

if they are adding ellis and bradley…gotta add mills and rhodes.

4. duckeastwood
    4:15 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

i overlooked rhodes.

5. Man down
    4:27 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

Huh? Where’s our boy Ricky p’s team. Can’t imagine why his U of lol wouldn’t have made the list. #YouShouldComeBack #PitinoFirstProgram

6. T-Will'sGun
    4:28 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

If they had a list of biggest flunkies to get drafted, I bet UofL would be in the top three.

7. Larni
    4:35 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

I’d put Georgetown #1 over UNC. UNC just doesn’t have a lot of superstar quality in this era. The modern draft era doesn’t include Worthy or Jordan. Georgetown has Mourning, Iverson, Hibbert, Mutombo, and up and comer Monroe.

8. Biglaw Dawgin'
    4:37 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

I agree with that assessment. Especially the part that says UK could be #1 in a few years (once all of Cal’s players mature).

UNC is definitely #1. Vince Carter, Antwan Jamison, Stackhouse. UConn is definitely in there. I’d say you’re right about GTown as well. Iverson, Alonzo, Mutumbo. UK will be at the top of this list in 10 years though.

9. hendousmc
    7:21 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

Certainly isn’t 15 seconds of glory Rick. I’d say G-Town is first.

10. B-town Cat
    7:42 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

All I hear from UofL fans is how great of a developer Pitino is. Yet the only player he has had since being at UofL that has had a sustainable career in the NBA is Garcia. I want to know what’s he developing them into. Because it sure isn’t into having a basketball career after college

11. Takethoseonionsoffmysliders
    7:57 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

But where is LOSERVILE on that list? Don’t they know quick Rick is the best coach ever!?!?!?

12. Sgt Jimmy
    9:08 pm June 21, 2013 Permalink

I’ve said it before and I will say it again, when did BBN become such huge fans of the NBA? Who really cares? Is this what weve become, a basketball factory for the NBA. My two favorite teams of all time were Rupps Runts and the Unforgetables. Two teams that were filled with slow white guys who played their hearts out for UK and the state.

13. understand the moment
    10:17 am June 22, 2013 Permalink

Staggering! That’s what the man said Staggering. Look what is to come. Cal understands