Kentucky is a “major player” for Dakari Johnson

According to the mother of Dakari Johnson, Kentucky is a “major player” for the 6-foot-10 big man in the 2013 class.  She told Adam Zagoria that is in part because Johnson spent three years in Lexington at Sayre Middle School.  John Calipari’s track record of creating one-and-done players is also appealing to Johnson.

“I’m sure it’s appealing,” Johnson’s mother told sNY.tv. “One thing it says is that they are preparing for the guys for that next stage. I wouldn’t see why that wouldn’t be appealing…What he’s looking for in a school, too, is his development. Academically, he’ll be fine. He understands what he needs to do. He has a family of college graduates. He knows what he wants to study, he has his head on straight there but he does want to know that there’s going to be some development that takes place and that he’s going to play on a stage where he’s going to be recognized.”

Johnson is also considering Syracuse, Kansas, Florida, Ohio State and Georgetown.  He will wait until the spring to decide.

Cats.

UPDATE: Evan Daniels now reports that Johnson has an offer from UK. That is a big development for a kid that really likes the Cats

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Kentucky is a “major player” for Dakari Johnson

1. Hoss cat
    4:38 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Come on down

2. tennessee wildcat
    4:43 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

He should be Kentucky’s for the taking, and there should be room as Cauley-Stein’s stock has risen through the roof. All I can say is “wow”. We have never had a class this talented.

3. Source Close To Program
    4:43 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I heard that Johnson is going to follow Petrino.
    When Booby makes his choice then Johnson will follow.
    Just a rumor though.

4. St. Paul Raiders
    4:45 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

2- Ha, nice.

5. Go Cats
    4:53 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

This has to make Randle feel better about UK… Now he is guaranteed to play the forward spot and not center.

6. tennessee wildcat
    4:58 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Agreed #4. This could potentially be an epic, 8 player recruiting class. Cal could break is own NBA draft record in 2014 with 7-8 draft picks. Incredible.

7. Rockfield, KY
    4:58 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Seems likes a solid kid from a solid family, which we’ve had a lot of success with. I’ll take him right now.

8. jwild

B – Willis

9. Blue Jesus
    5:05 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

7. Wow

10. Justin Fortner
    5:08 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

UK will not get Randle and Johnson!! Period. lets not get our hopes up. Johnson looks alot more likely than Randle at this point

11. hosier Wlldcat
    5:09 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

The very best part of all the success Cal is having is these are great kids who go to class and make good grades. I have to admit I did not know Johnson was on our list but what the hell he looks like a winner. I personally prefer wiggins over anyone else but we might not get him. Randell and Johnson would be a great pair.

12. Tracey Morgan
    5:15 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Who knew I played ball?

13. bosshogg24
    5:16 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Johnson has been on UK’s list and vice versa since Johnson was in the 7th grade and living in Lexington!

14. Ky99
    5:16 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Wiggins & Gordon options one. I really believe some of these guys have been told by Cal to wait until Spring so he can see who goes pro. I know that’s not always the case but most of the remaining guys seem to have their option a and option b ready once they know if a scholly is available.

15. JimTown Catfan
    5:22 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

@11 – That’s a great post

16. Badams
    5:36 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

9, I disagree. Randle is a pf, Johnson is a center. Plus, Randle knows he will start wherever he goes and like 13 says, these guys are waiting to see who goes pro. Johnson is a true center and Cal will make sure to reiterate that to Gordon and Randle is Johnson decides to jump on board.

17. Brandon
    5:48 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Would rather have okafor in 2014! Just sayin, he is much more agile and seems to be more skilled as well…

18. Justin Fortner
    5:58 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

15, Well Uk will have Wiltjer and Lee already there plus a willis. i dee Johnson as the more likely choice. plus Callie could come back. Lee did not commit to UK to ride the bench, Wiltjer will play plenty as well.

19. njCat
    6:00 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

What we are talking here is an embarrassment of riches. If Witjer comes back I wonder if he ever sees the floor.

20. jpo
    7:23 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

is he reclassifying too??? I thought this guy was 2014

21. Future NBA Grandfather
    7:36 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

This reclassifying is getting out of hand.
    We were blessed with a new Grandson on August 11th of this year.
    Seven coaches, including Cal, visited the Nursery and six wanted him to reclassify to class of 2028.
    Roy Williams suggested 2025 class and African Studies major.

22. Future NBA Grandfather
    7:46 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Recruiting update on “little guy.”

He cried when five of the coaches tried to hold him.

He pooped on Roy Williams, and it nwasn’t ice cream.

He smiled at Cal…if that tells you anything.
    I’m saying a strong lean toward UK.

23. John
    7:51 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Charles Thomas, Kentucky Mr. Basketball out of Harlin, was his individual instructor during Middle School at Sayre.

24. mashburnfan1
    9:15 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Will prooly end up with Johnson and Wiggins which is great…but I want Gordon on this team

25. Blueswade
    9:34 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Dyn-o-miiiiiite !!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Ed has Tickets
    9:55 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m with you #24….Gordon dunks like the rim owes him money.

27. Jones Returns
    10:01 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

Here’s who will return from this years team:

Hood
    Polson
    Harrow
    Malone
    Long (walk-on)
    Wiltjer

That’s 5 scholarships next year that will be taken. Men’s division 1 basketball teams are allowed a maximum of 13 scholarships. That means we had 8 scholarships to offer for the 2013 class. We know that Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, James Young, Marcus Lee, and Derek Willis have all accepted scholarship offers. That leaves 3 remaining scholarships to offer…4 if Wiltjer leaves early and 5 if Harrow also leaves early (very doubtful that either will leave early). So let’s just call it 3 available scholarships to be safe.

Here’s who we’ve offered:

Andrew Wiggins
    Julius Randle
    Aaron Gordon
    Dakari Johnson

With only 3 slots available we had our top 3 guys that we were hoping for…Wiggins, Randle and Gordon. To me, a last minute offer to Dakari Johnson tells me that this staff believes that one of those top three is not going to choose UK. When you consider that Johnson is a center it makes me think that either Randle or Gordon are out. Hope I’m wrong, but I don’t like the implications of an offer to Johnson.

28. henry earl