Kentucky High School Basketball Makes National News

They spelled ‘Murica wrong. Dummies.

Kentucky high school basketball is getting national attention… for exactly all the wrong reasons.  Instead of folks talking about recruits, or coaches, or big plays, or things you might otherwise associate with teenagers playing ball, people are just paying attention to the (admittedly hilarious) antics by a few folks in Louisville.

You might remember the video posted yesterday with a mascot fight between Manual and Male.  Everybody loves a good Furry fight, and basketball fans are no exception.  In case you missed it, or want to watch it again, just click play:

Looks like a lot of fun, right?  Well, not happy with just making it to our front page, the video found its way to both Yahoo! and NBC News.

What did they have to say about it?

Yahoo!:

Male won the contest by a score of 63-45, with D.J. Lambert scoring 13 points for the Bulldogs.

Unfortunately for Lambert and his teammates, that performance will almost certainly be superceded in the historical accounts of this game by tales of the mascot melee that unfolded before the third quarter even began.

“Tales” of the mascots?  Very clever, Yahoo!.  I see what you did there.

NBC:

Kudos to the Louisville Male High Bulldogs and the DuPont Manual High Rams for some pretty good mascot costumes … most high schools barely even try in that department. And boy, do they take their high school basketball seriously in Kentucky.

Features of the video below include:

• Kung-Fu Ram flying leg kick.
  • Crowd screaming with delight as combatants wrestle each other to the floor.
  • Adults running in to break up a mascot fight.
  • Fans rushing the floor.

First the campus police video that went viral (and got a cop fired), and now the mascot fight?  Kentucky is getting all kinds of hilariously bad publicity lately.

Article written by Corey Nichols

35 Comments for Kentucky High School Basketball Makes National News

1. NotSoFast
    9:05 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

clearly obama’s fault

2. catfan55
    9:12 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

one game suspension just “cuz”

3. Kazikat
    9:22 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

People are just getting too angry lately. Especially Republicans, UK basketball fans, former Petrino to UK supporters, Syrians, Israelis, Palestinians, campus cops, mascots, Boogie, old-school, KSR grammar correctors. Makes for very exciting times.

4. Trail markers
    9:27 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I just read this post while sitting on ye-old-pooper. As I do most of the morning post.

5. BigBlueBear
    9:29 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I feel pretty bad for that cop that fired. I guess he shouldn’t have done what he did, but that little punk ass was asking for it. There is a way to understand your rights and stand up for yourself and that kid didn’t do it at all. His constant taunting, profanity, and hateful slurs should not be celebrated. I read that the cop had been on the force for 6 years without incident, and to lose your job because you let someone get the bette of your anger just sucks. i hope that man didn’t have a family relying on him. I just hate seeing that type of behavior celebrated as “standing up for yourself.” There should be some backlash for that kid.

6. MJ4UK
    9:31 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Bad Publicity is still Publicity.

7. AllmylifeIwannabeabulldog
    9:34 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I can tell you as an alum of one of these schools and having seen the rivalry personally, I was not surprised to see this. I expect harsh punishments for any students involved from both schools as these are not the type of schools where you can get away with this kind of nonsense.

8. Dusten
    9:42 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I’d say you’re reading a little too far into this. Gotta right about something i suppose.

9. VinceMcMahon
    9:44 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

THis started off as a staged fight and a play to the crowd. Not sure where things went wrong. They have done it several times over the years.

10. Simon
    9:51 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

5…..Yea I agree it is a shame to lose your job over someone acting a fool. However at the same time, that officer was paid a salary specifically to handle situations like this and to be the “better”, more “mature” man here. I have not seen the video I am only going by what I’ve heard on the news and from my friends. Bad deal regardless, and who knows why the student acted the way he did, I very well may be wrong, but somethin tells me that kid probably doesn’t know either.

11. Bring Back BTI
    9:53 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Seriously, this site is terrible now that BTI is’t contributing any longer. There’s no actual statistical analysis any longer that is worth anything and the writing is astonishingly bad. I used to look forward to the 9AM posts because I knew there’d be something there that would really be thought provoking, but not any longer. Instead we’re given stories about mascot fights or the ever so thoughtful sexually driven double entendre. You guys really need to bring BTI back and give yourself some credibility.

12. The truth
    9:54 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I betvlouis Coleman and Jesse Jackson are happy that cop got fired. Stand up for yourself and never be responsible for your actions.

13. Houston Wildcat
    9:57 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

When the cop realized he was being filmed and was probably going to lose his job he should have beat that kid you know what. What an immature little punk. He’ll get his.

14. Rock Slyde
    9:58 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

8. You just made my day.

15. What Goes on In Kentucky?
    9:58 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Does this really surprise anyone? Now we just need a horse fight, or another senior-citizen fight at a kidney dialysis center.

16. Know yo rights
    9:59 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Al Sharpton celebrating that cop getting fired. Break the law and get away with it. Pour alcohol out a window and then act like you did nothing.

17. Actors
    10:03 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Those mascots should have played it off like it was ALL an act.

18. Seriously
    10:04 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Thats the worst shot video ever, you can’t see half of whats going on and it keeps moving and is blurry. Seriously a little effort this could have been epic.

19. Simon
    10:16 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Just saw where the student victim released a statement. What an immature little POS. Said he was excited about because the officer got what he deserves. Admitted to egging him on, bragging about how the officer took the bait. Wow, just wow. What maturity and certainly a quality individual there. Again, not condoning what the officer did, probably got what he deserved. But what kind of person purposely does that just to get someone fired.

20. UKBlue1!
    10:23 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Male v. Manuel is a intense rivalry.

21. HicksPickSix
    10:23 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

You’ve been on a decent streak, Corey…

and then today’s post happened.

22. TukStone
    10:39 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Mascot fight is even on ESPN

23. I
    10:55 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Holy crap its a mascot fight, its hilarious. I wouldnt consider this ‘bad’ publicity. Its actually funny and based on the quotes you posted from yahoo and NBC, they too took it in stride. They weren’t disparaging Kentucky. I cant stand your posts lol but I read anyways.

24. hey
    11:39 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

hey truth you from shelby co?

25. what i noticed
    11:42 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

Great rivalry! packed gym, mascotts. ky high school, like no other!

26. DB11
    12:02 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Male students wanted to fight? Color me shocked. As a Manual grad I can assure you that such hostilities would not have taken place had the game been at Manual.

27. DaveB
    12:08 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Effing Louisville! They are constantly making the entire state look like a bunch of inbred rednecks 😉

28. VinceMcMahon
    12:14 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#26) Remove the halo from the Rams head, I am sure both sides were equally guilty. I can guarantee hostilities would have taken place at Manual too.

29. Jughead
    12:18 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Why is this a bad thing? It is representative of the growing lack of class of American society.

I suggest counseling for all, and a gov’t grant program to study why males are angry. All part of the wussification of America.

30. FurdTurgason
    1:03 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

I was there at the Male-Manual game. Not sure what happened, but one of the mascots took offense to the other’s over aggressive tactics and suddenly you could tell they were throwing real punches. That’s when the entire Male student section stormed the floor, and I saw at least one Male student punch the Manual Ram in the face. The announcer told everyone to get off the floor, then the cops had to come make them go back to their section and stay there. After the game I had to walk through a bunch of Manual students who had been cornered and then a bunch of Male badass wannabes. I could tell something was about to go down.

31. Snl1960
    2:23 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Put the student video back on….. Man I hate that guy already. Needs to be expelled ,he intentionally pushed all the buttons then posted to get a good man fired. One day he may wind up in a dumpster for thinking he in invincible .one can only hope. Sorry dude U Are a doushe.allways will be.

32. ManualGrad
    5:44 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

All my life I wanna kill a bulldog! Get you some mascot

33. blueneck
    6:58 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Male has always dominated that rivalry…I hope that college punk gets plenty out of his 15 min of fame – no one would ever hire him for sure. Not sure what he thinks he has to gain and I know any of UK’s grad schools aren’t gonna take him.

34. GoBullDogs
    11:04 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Also an alum of Male and am not surprised either with how dumbass kids act these days. This is the oldest rivalry in Louisville so you have to expect some intensity. But this will not go unpunished and any student involved will pay a price, at least we would if we tried to pull that shit.

35. Donna Fox
    11:09 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

There’s no actual statistical analysis any longer that is worth anything and the writing is astonishingly bad.packed gym, mascotts. ky high school, like no other!