Kentucky got Elson Turner’d

If today’s game at Rupp Arena was Texas A&M’s Super Bowl, senior guard Elston Turner is hoisting the Lombardi Trophy high in the air after an unstoppable performance on the big stage.  Book the tickets to Disney World; he is the MVP.  Turner scored 40 points in A&M’s 83-71 upset win against the Wildcats, although the game was much closer than the final score represents.  It was a tie game with four minutes to play before Turner stuck a dagger in his opponents with a three-pointer, his sixth of the game, and took the wind out of UK’s sails for the closing minutes.  It was just too much Turner for 40 minutes and not enough fight in the Cats to contain him or respond on the other end.

The loss means Kentucky is now a bubble team for the 2013 NCAA Tournament.  With zero quality wins through 15 games and very few opportunities to get one on the SEC schedule, the Wildcats can’t afford to drop many more games — and definitely not one at home — for the rest of the season.  There is still a lot of basketball to played, but we could be on our way to a very unfamiliar situation at the SEC Tournament where Kentucky has to run the table to make the field of 64.

Elston Turner’s performance is one of those we’ll be talking about years from now, as an example of how opponents play out of their minds against Kentucky in Rupp Arena.  Move over, Crispin brothers.  Turner just stole your Rupp Arena glory.  The son of Elston Turner Sr., an assistant coach for the Phoenix Suns, hung 40 on Kentucky in the best individual outing by an opponent in Lexington since Pistol Pete’s 64 points in 1970.  He shot 14-of-19 from the field, including 6-of-10 from downtown, and threw in six rebounds and four assists to round it out.  It was one of those days where all you can do as a fan is shake your head in amazement at how your team is getting abused.  It didn’t matter what Kentucky threw at him, who Kentucky threw at him, how many Kentucky threw at him, or where he stood on Cawood’s court; Elston Turner was shooting and Elston Turner wasn’t missing very often.  It was Dwyane Wade all over again.  It was Meeks’ 51 in Knoxville, only we were Bobby Maze and Tennessee.  It was just one of those days.

Calipari admitted to making a mistake by putting Poythress on Turner early and waiting too late to make an adjustment.  “From that point on, he was getting 50,” Cal said of the matchup.  Archie did a decent job defending Turner away from the ball after they switched, but once it was in Turner’s hands, it didn’t really matter who was guarding him.  One play stands out in particular, when Willie Cauley-Stein clapped his hands in the face of Turner after he forced him to give the ball up.  Turner reset, got the ball right back, stepped back a few feet, and drained a three-pointer in Willie’s eye from somewhere near Mr. Kan’s Chinese Food in the bottom of the Civic Center.  We knew we were in for a show after that.

The hardest part in watching Kentucky go down to Turner and A&M is that Nerlens Noel didn’t deserve to lose after the way he played.  As great as Turner was from the field for A&M, Noel was almost just as great in all aspects of the game for Kentucky.  We praise Nerlens for his hustle after every game, but very few compare to the effort he gave in the loss to the Aggies.  Noel recorded his second double-double of the season with 15 points and 11 rebounds.  He set career-highs in assists and blocks with six and seven, respectively.  Kentucky’s four steals?  All Nerlens. Kentucky’s seven blocks?  All Nerlens.  The heartbeat that kept the team alive and in the game when Elston Turner had his foot on their throats?  Nerlens.  Nerlens.  Nerlens.  He played like a Player of the Year candidate and the tape from the game will be Exhibit A in the case for why he should be the No. 1 draft pick in June.  You just can’t say enough about how well he played today.

If Nerlens’ production on the court wasn’t enough to impress you, his comments after the game will have you ready to reconsider your lifelong commitment to an exclusive obsession with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.  Nerlens had strong words about his teammates and what they need to do to turn this thing around.  He said, “It’s time we take responsibility.  Coach Cal has done a lot for us, but I feel it’s time for us, as a team, to start coming around, clicking, and doing what we have to do.”  He would add, “There’s a time, that us as players, have to start taking responsibility and I feel that time is now.”  It sounds like Nerlens is ready to put this team on his back.  We can only hope the others join him in turning it around, and not weigh him down.

Despite what Calipari said about his defensive effort on Turner early, Poythress played a pretty solid game.  I think it’s time we accept 12 points and six rebounds from Alex, rather than continuing to place unrealistic expectations on him.  He still looks like he’s out there giving minimal effort, but the constant criticism from fans and verbal abuse from Calipari, which we saw a lot of today, hasn’t made a difference thus far so I don’t know see a reason to keep putting the pressure on him.  Sometimes I worry Cal is being too hard on Poythress during games.  Then again, Calipari gets paid to coach and evaluate these players and I get paid to photoshop pictures of Alan Cutler, so my opinion holds very little frozen yogurt.

I did notice a couple of instances when Poythress’s teammates would go out of their way to give him a shove after big plays.  All four guys got a pretty powerful shove in following a dunk, like they were asking him to shove them back and show some emotion.  They’re certainly trying to get the excitement out of him, one way or another.

Calipari praised Willie Cauley-Stein during his postgame radio interview, but not for his hustle or defense, like you’d expect.  No, Cal was proud of the way Willie stood up for himself when the A&M players tried to bully the UK freshmen while holding the lead.  Cal said, “What I liked, is the guys got up in Willie’s face and talked trash, and he talked back.  You’ve gotta stand your ground.”  The Aggies were talking a lot of trash and, like Cal said, Kentucky didn’t hesitate to fire back.  No one likes a team that talks too much, but no one wants to see their team backpedal when it happens to them, either.  I noticed Harrow jawing a couple times with his man too.  Unfortunately, their wasn’t enough fight in the Wildcats’ game to keep up with their verbal assault.

After losing the rebounding battle to Vanderbilt, the worst rebounding team in the conference, the Cats came out and lost on the boards again.  Texas A&M out-rebounded Kentucky, 35-30.  Be ready to hear the same spiel from Calipari on Monday about his team not wanting it more than their opponents.  “They have to fight for those balls.”

The real loser in all this?  The Tennessee Volunteers.  It’s hard to imagine Kentucky not coming out and beating the brakes off the Volunteers on Tuesday.

Before we go, I’d like to give a shout-out to Rose, one of our favorite radio callers, and her husband Chubb.  They were given two seats to the game for the role they played in making the West Liberty fundraiser happen.

“Give me a thumbs up with your broken wrist if you think Turner needs to quit shooting.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

86 Comments for Kentucky got Elson Turner’d

1. Ruppeat Offender
    8:12 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

According to Joe Dean, David Robinson scored 45 on the Cats in Rupp. That would be better than 40, but not as good as 64.

2. Mr. Obvious
    8:14 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

When are you going to hold Cal accountable for this mess??

3. Hey Drew
    8:15 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Get your head out of A&M’s lap

4. Drew Franklin
    8:16 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

3. — Hey “Hey Drew”, respect what Turner just did to Kentucky.

5. The King
    8:17 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I’m going to say it before other people become pompous d-bags about it. I’m sure it was a typo, but Meeks had 54. But it’s cool, he had so many 3’s it’s easy to lose count.

6. Mr. Obvious
    8:20 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

The recent past means nothing. A national championship pales in comparison to the grievous sins Cal has comitted this year. He needs to go. Are you all with me or again me?

7. fakinnomah
    8:21 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I beleive this team may be Cal’s first UK team that is just okay. They have all the talent in the world, but they are still all young kids. I’m not in anyway mad at this team just a little disappointed. I feel like this team can be great they just haven’t realized it yet. There are better days for this team this year and for whomever sticks around for next year too. Just keep playing and this team will get better every game. Drew the only thing I disagree with in this post is watching this team the last two games I don’t feel confident saying this team will come out and beat the brakes off of any one. I would love to see it but it just hasn’t happened YET!!!!!

8. Mr. Obvious
    8:22 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I am beyond reproach in all I do. But others are not. Especially Cal. Get him out of here. Now! Or I will not post here again! And we don’t want that, do we???

9. UKGrad04
    8:22 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

If this UK season were a movie, this is, I believe, the point where Gordon Bombay ties a rope around them and tells them to skate.

10. jymbo
    8:22 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I agree Drew Alex had a solid game 12, 6, and 0 turnovers.
    Good goes 3 for 15 one game, 6 for 16 this one , won’t pass the ball to save his ass, and always has 4 or 5 turnovers. He is not a team player, but he gets no yelling at from Cal. IMO he should set more and Mays is useless.

11. UKGrad04
    8:26 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

10. I’m actually okay with Archie not passing; he’s the only player on the team (besides Poythress) who can really attack the rim.

12. KY Realist
    8:28 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I told you simpletons he is a pathetic coach. He needs 5 to & NBA players to mask his [email protected] coaching. He has 4 NIT’s at Memphis to back me up. He is a fraud. Cal would have won 13 games with uofl’s squad last year. Cal had 2 future all-stars and a total of six pros. Rick had zero. Yet, it was anyone’s game. Wake the F up hilljacks. Uncle Wes did not buy Cal enough pros. It is his fault.

13. Truth
    8:32 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I put a booger in every seat of TAMU’s bus before they left Lex.

14. ryan
    8:33 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

A what?? “We HAVE to see a” what??!

15. Cal'sSweatyNipples
    8:34 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Raise your hand if you are posting from a single wide. Everyone is laughing at you. Your coach [email protected] He acts like a complete [email protected] on the sidelines. Plus, he looks like he is one cheeseburger away from having to wear velcro shoes. Wonder if he can even see his feet?

16. 3 fan
    8:35 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Wow, the trolls are out! This year shows why Cal wants 8 players for next year. With depth, you can bench a Wiltjer. This year he just can’t.
    Still the defending champs!

17. Lip set
    8:36 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

And we will still have a million people saying we will go undefeated next year with all that talent coming. ONE MORE TIME…..smarts and team play wins games, not streetballers! How’s that talent working for the lakers? Who would trade this team for all those slow unathletic duke boys that you all love to criticize….

18. One&DoneisaFraud
    8:37 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Dribble drive = roll the ball out there and watch all your knuckle dragging players try to make a play. Cow does not have the players to play playground basketball.

19. ak400_99
    8:39 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

i love Rose!! she looks just as sweet as she sounds!

20. Rised
    8:43 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Just accept the fact that we suck. We don’t have he heart and passion to compete.

21. Mr. Obviously Stupid
    8:43 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

@2 & 6…..we just won a national championship last year, have the best college basketball recruiting class in history coming in next year , and still have potential with this swuad come March….I hope your a troll, because i don’t think any single member of the BBN could be that retarded.

22. Frew Dranklin
    8:44 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Poythress laid an egg again. The stats don’t always tell the story.

He got work at the rim by a rec league walk on.

23. Jerry Maguire's Memo
    8:44 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

10. Wiltjer is the one who is useless. Goodwin seems more interested in making ESPN Top Plays than winning games. Mays is what Mays is, a mid-major college player with some experience, but looks shell-shocked sometimes.

UK can’t-
    Defend the 3
    Shoot the 3
    Rebound
    Run any motion in the offense
    Score
    Finish at the rim
    Keep from getting rattled against physical teams
    Put their, “I’m gonna get mine” AAU style down and be a team

NIT

24. KY Realist
    8:47 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I tend to take a preaching style, I know. For that I apologize. But you must understand when you know as much about basketball as I do, you have the right to spew the invective that I do. And I am perfect. Please pay attention to me. Please. I don’t get much attention from my Mommy…

25. Dub c
    8:48 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

We stink, no excuses. One and done isn’t the way

26. UKGrad04
    8:49 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

UL’s best season in most of their fans’ lifetimes and they’re all in here after the game. #LilBro

27. DT in DC
    8:51 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I’ve said this all year, and I will continue to say it. This is one of the most painful teams to watch since the Tubby Smith years. And I’m not a fair-weathered fan. I never missed a game and cheered my a$$ off during the dreadful BCG years. Just something about this team makes me just want to turn the channel. Maybe I was spoiled by last year’s group of guys. I dunno. And are people still saying so many of these guys will go in the top 20 in the draft? I just dont’ see it.

28. HAHA
    8:52 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Denver went farther with TEBOW, HA HA, HA HA

29. SurpriseinmyLevis
    8:52 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

If Cal had a set on him, he would bench Pussoythress. He scored on a walk-on with one leg. Also, he should demand Nerlens cut that ridiculos hair. He looks like an idiot. He and Hood would make an all ugly team.

30. Reality Check
    8:55 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Davis was a once in a lifetime player. Last year’s team had 6 pros. Yet, we are an elite 8 type team without Davis. Cal needs to chill on the sidelines. He makes himself look like an [email protected]

31. mashburnfan1
    9:03 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think UT will beat us but also don’t think we can ever assume this team will beat the breaks off anyone in the SEC based on our first 2 games vs a very bad team and a bad team

32. katzrjamers
    9:03 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Hey Rose, Hey Chubb. Nice picture, hope you have a safe trip home. Sorry we lost tonight, but you’ve survived worse. So has UK basketball. Keep smiling.

33. Big Blue 66
    9:03 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Cant defend the perimeter, cant knock down shot….when you cant do those 2 things, you dont win much. These guys thought they could waltz in here and since they had UK on their chest, they would be last years team…..gentlemen, at this level you still have a long way to go and you better work harder than ever.

34. Mike
    9:03 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

11. UK Grad 04…Poythress can only attack the rim if he is 2-3 steps away from it..otherwise he is a charge machine. He is still more dud than stud.

35. harry
    9:08 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

night of too many haters, whats up with that? a year ago cats won the championship, trolls claimed cal is dirty, tonight they claimed he is a bad coach. as if tonight never happen to what ever team they support. indiana, louisville, etc. i guess haters gonna hate.

Now to the loss tonight, it is a cause of concern this many games into the season and we trying to find answers. i like the team long enough to forget about it, i.e next season.

36. KO'd
    9:09 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I haven’t seen Kentucky get knocked out like that since Sammy Scaff.

37. Editor
    9:10 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

1) You must’ve forgotten about David Robinson’s Navy game in Lexington

2) Jodie scored 54 points

3) It’s been a long day for us all

38. Uncle Wes
    9:11 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

My bad guys. I didn’t realize 5 burger boys was not enough for Coach Cal. I’m all over it. I plan on purchasing at least 6 or 7 five star players. It’s my fault and will buy as many players as possible for next year.

39. Rae
    9:11 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

@KYRealist- Look at Coach K’s beginning record. At Army, he went to one NIT. Nothing else, at least according to Wikipedia which may not be 100 percent accurate. It took years at Duke to make the Big Dance. Roy took UNC to the NIT immediately after their NC, and they might end up there this year. At least we have a championship and 2 FF’s to look back on. They have 2 Elite Eight appearances between rebuilding years.

40. harry
    9:11 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

42 & 43, you’ll make a cute couple.

41. Pompous d-bag
    9:12 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Damn 5, you stole my thunder!

42. Turd Furgeson
    9:13 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

This is some of the dumbest shit I’ve ever read.

43. harry
    9:14 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

cal has too many problems this year, too many to fix. he is just a human!!!

44. pure comedy
    9:15 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

One of the main reasons I love KSR. Nerds having word fights in the comments section. This is awesome. Whoever monitors the site on nights like this must be laughing their ass off.

45. Tipton's Wet Dream
    9:20 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I never could have imagined that I would be able to get-off on this year’s team in such a fashion! I got 5 rounds during that game…each better than the last!

46. theSkinny81
    9:22 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

12 – Newsflash! Pitino has been to the NIT 4 times as a head coach too.

47. PopcornFart
    9:25 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Playing two centers at the same time is beyond moronic. Cal jumped the shark on that one.

48. UKGrad04
    9:26 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

34. That’s a fair point. I just mean he and Goodwin are the only ones athletically capable of it. But you’re right he does charge and/or walk a lot.

49. Elston Turner
    9:29 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I pulled my [email protected] out and slapped your entire team in the face with it.

50. TShlew
    9:29 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Anyone know if there were chants for some of the football recruits at the game tonight? I know they were expecting them.

51. Isaac in Long Beach
    9:30 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

44. Totally agree. It’s really entertaining. The best part though is that the trolls are out in full force this year. They’re completely aware that they need to get it in while we’re down, because we’re not gonna be down for long.

52. Fall semester
    9:32 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

So when does football season start? I hope stoops didn’t take the football recruits to the basketball game.

53. Mustang at
    9:34 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Can we get some football recruiting news. Please.

54. Oneanddone
    9:39 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

So are we stuck with these kids next year also? Noel is the only good ball player on the team. Can’t go to the nba if you aren’t any good. Cal needs to start recruiting 1 or 2 mediocres instead of all walk-ons & 5 stars. So billyclyde years don’t happen.

55. [email protected]
    9:39 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Elston Turner was the man today. As for UK, Noel is the only sure NBA lottery pick. The rest of these guys could end up in the D league or playing in Japan or China. Hard to imagine NBA teams taking Poythress as the overall #8 pick and not even drafting Turner after he looked like Michael Jordan out there. This will be a rough year and it may be the NIT this year. Of course we need about 6 more wins to get into the NIT and that might be a challenge.

56. Beavis
    9:42 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

The D is the problem,,,,will be as long as we continue to switch on every screen. Take Wiltjer,,,his mans screens for a guard,,,Wiltjer ends up defending a guard 20 feet from the basket. You can not expect him to keep a smaller quicker guard in front of him. If you are going to switch,,,,you are going to have to play smaller quicker people. Maybe play more zone to protect Wiltjer and Stein.

57. NIT
    9:51 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Hope I’m wrong, this is starting to look like an NIT team. If we drop a couple ganes to teams like Bama and Auburn, we are toast.

58. CardFan
    9:53 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Obviously UK is everyone’s superbowl and this is the reason they are losing..

59. Truth
    9:57 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Vandy got bent over by a horrible Arkansas team. Thank God the refs handed us the vandy game.

60. BBN
    9:58 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I love getting big time recruits but I really wish Cal would recruit a few 4-star players that can stay a four years so we can have a leader or at least someone with experience during years like this…

61. ChokeCal
    9:58 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Dude put up 40 in Rup?? lol UK sucks!

62. Truth
    10:01 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I am so witty. What would this Board do without me? Don’t worry; you won’t have to find out unless UK starts winning. Then I will disappear like a roach when the lights come on.

63. CatFan4444
    10:03 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I mean A & M had a frikin answer for every UK lead. Ive never been so frustrated at a team than this afternoon. My wife was ready to kick me out of the house due to cussing, throwing things and the like. This team just irks the crap out of me!!!!!!

64. Oddthomas
    10:04 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

On what planet do you applaud a guy coming out of the game who just put up forty to beat you at home. I can understand if they had lost, but come on. Do u think they applauded meeks in knoxville

65. Mack
    10:07 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Houston online newspaper noted the fact that the UK fans gave him standing O.

66. JBR
    10:11 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Cal is starting to sound like Joker…weak and making excuses to dance around what the problems really are. Matt got all upity on his call in show on some guy and showed his “personal attachment” to the team, thus really showing he cannot be objective. He wants to throw down reality when he needs defense, but emotions the rest of the time. I think Cal is the best coach we could possibly have…but we have to call a spade a spade…he REALLY IS a “roll the balls out and let’um play coach”. He is proving that this year, as he has made NO progress with this team. But as Matt stated on his show…every other year, that is all Cal should have to do for a title, so we can accept it…but call it what it is, and don’t act like it isn’t happening. Cal has no idea what to do with this group.

67. pro scout
    10:17 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Now maybe a few more of you will agree with me. I have said since the loss to Baylor that UK won’t make it to the NCAA tournament this year. Some ‘sports writer’ even said before the Vandy game that UK would get to the Final Four. I made fun of him then and I think more of you will agree with me now, UK will NOT be in the Final Four and will be LUCKY TO EVEN MAKE THE NCAA TOURNAMENT…PERIOD! It ain’t gonna happin people.

68. KY Realist
    10:17 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

This program has gone nowhere but down hill since Cal took over. We have nothing to show for it at all. We’ll never win with Cal at coach.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go shove my Tubby bobblehead doll up my ass.

69. davefromdagap
    10:19 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Fact is we might as well stop looking at these kids for what they are supposed to be. Poythress has no motor and appears to get lost. Goodwin is out of control. Ive seen 8 th graders that make better decisions. Wiltjer is a spot up shooter who cannot create his own shot and a defensive liability. Noel and Harrow are the only dependable players on the team. Our best offense is in the post and we seldom go there. It is what it is. I dont think this teams ceiling is high at all.

70. BuD LiGhT
    10:26 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I would like to express my sincere thanks to the refs of the Vandy game. Without your help, we would be 0-2 in SEC.

71. just saying
    10:28 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

When is the last time a NIT team had the Number 1 overall draft pick and 3 others projected to go in the first round? Either the NBA draft is a total joke, or the coaching of this team has failed. Cal tried to throw together a team, he had several chances to get good-4 star guys but held back back because of the bright lights of next years class. So he didnt recruit a PF (Bennett was a recruiting miss), no true wing player (another recruitng miss is Mohammad) and he didnt bring in a PG for fear the Harrisions wouldnt come. This is the product of the one and done, everyone leaves, try to reload. But MKGs and ADs dont come in every, or hardly ever, recruting classes, and guys like Poythress, Goodwin and Noel are NOT guys that can “put a team on his back”. They simply do not have it.

72. Mc
    10:42 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I love UK. I went to UK. My beef with Rupp Arena, and UK is these old ass fans. I’ve accepted that ticket prices have increased with demand thus keeping a lot of young passionate fans away from the games creating some level of intimidation at home. However, can we at least force some of these geezers to stand up and make some noise more often? Also, I was in the uppers last year and saw fans gets yelled at for standing up to watch the game. I just wish the students had a lot more seating. Rupp has the potential to create a hostile environment. I know we had a huge home winning streak thanks to talent…just wish it had a better college vibe.

73. MattyBangs
    10:45 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Seriously guys, How good is this UL team?

74. Timefor9
    10:53 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

73) I must admit, they are really good. I think they will cut the nets down. Hope I am wrong though.

75. Whattttt
    11:14 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

If any of these players think they are ready for the NBA they are crazy! They will go to the D league and you will never hear from them again.

76. oldschool
    11:19 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

David Robinson had the best game as an opponent in Rupp Arena. I also remember a couple of great games – one by a Villanova guy named John Pinone and then there was Drazen Petrovich, albeit in an exhibition game in Rex Champman’s first game at Rupp.

77. UK Cat Fan
    11:19 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

I hope Louisville wins the title and keeps it in the state of Kentucky and we can follow it up the next year. Look at the state of Alabama with four straight football titles. I sure do not want to see it go to the state of North Carolina or Indiana.

78. bandit
    11:43 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

Turned played like he was possessed by the ghost of Devon Downey. Unfortunately, we couldn’t score at the end of the game. Will be a problem the rest of the year.

79. Sheeeeiiit
    11:56 pm January 12, 2013 Permalink

It sucks to lose like this. But we just won a NC. So I am not going to pop any blood vessels over this year. It looks like this team is not going to be a unique team. They may end up pretty good sort of like the Brandon Knight team. Or they won’t. No point in getting all stressed about it though when we just got #8. It could be worse….we could be in UNCs shoes. They are playing pretty suck too but they are coming off a year where they should have won the title and didn’t.

80. TH606
    2:52 am January 13, 2013 Permalink

Drew I know you are young , but I was there when David Robinson dropped 45 on us in Rupp in 1987 , I was a kid and everybody I’m Rupp gave him a standing ovation even though we won the game, and I was there tonight

81. Jc#1
    3:57 am January 13, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know what game you watched but Alex P.has a lazy streak in him.He would play defence a second or two and give up.I hope he wakes up and starts listening to Cal.I think the whole team just needs to play harder and gain some confidence.

82. usefulijit
    8:19 am January 13, 2013 Permalink

It was bad karma from that Billy Clyde thing

83. CatSinceBirth
    11:00 am January 13, 2013 Permalink

Cal, you have succeeding at breaking this team down. They’re about as low as they can go. Now, let’s see if you have the ability to build them back up. I say you don’t. You have completely lost this team in my opinion. I know, opinions are like arsholes, everybody has one. Win, lose, or draw, let the freaking team play the next game without you acting like you just escaped from a nut house. I’ll be ver surprised if this team makes the NCAA tourney, I doubt them even makinh the NIT. They are in total shambles, and beyond coming back. Wiltjer is cooked. I’d almost bet he won’t be back nest year. I know I wouldn’t were I in his place. I now see why many think Cal isn’t a good coach. Good day.

84. lou
    11:26 am January 13, 2013 Permalink

Whatever tactics Cal has been using obviously are not working with this bunch. It may be time to tell them that they just need to forget all he has told them and simply go out relax and play to what they believe is their potential. THEN he will feel good and they will feel well, good or bad all depending on the outcome. Sometimes players simply cannot respond positively to too much negative pressure about how bad their game is and tend to become more like what they are being told. Alex IMO has been pressured way too much and by now it should be obvious to Cal and everyone else that it is not working period!

85. bills
    2:09 pm January 13, 2013 Permalink

Hey 6 give Barnhart and all of the boosters your name, phone number and address so they can find you and hire you to coach and recruit for UK. I believe in you.

86. Reality
    2:49 pm January 13, 2013 Permalink

“UK will beat the brakes off Tenn” i doubt this team could beat the brakes off a Bigwheel…..

UK will be in a fight virtually every game left this year