Kentucky: Get Excited For The Bowl Game

Leave it to Pitt to take the esteemed BBVA Compass bowl and find every possible way to make it as unexciting as they can – but I refuse to let my enthusiasm dwindle.  With everything that has been going on around the Basketball program lately (from Enes to Daniels to the start of SEC play,) the upcoming bowl game has done a pretty good job flying under the radar.  No, it’s not the sexiest of bowls to play in, and dag gummit if Birmingham is where I want to spend the weekend,  but it’s Kentucky football.  And honestly, there are quite a few things to get excited about for Kentucky fans.

1.) — Rick Minter and Steve Pardue.  But mainly the Nuclear Minter.  It’s no secret that the Kentucky defense was woeful at best this season, and many fans got part of what they wanted with the introduction of Rick Minter to the coaching staff as co-defensive coordinator.  While it’s unlikely he will have made any huge changes between the Tennessee game and the bowl game, it certainly won’t stop us from giving him credit everytime Winston Guy tackles somebody.

2.) — Mister Cobble.  Aside from having one of the best Kentucky Football names in history, Cobble came out of last season receiving tons of praise from his coaches for his performances on the Scout team.  Sadly, after being tapped an up and comer to watch, Cobble had to sit out the season due to academic problems.  To borrow a line from Bledsoe, Cobble then went and got sh*t right – by studying, refusing to chase women and answering the phone when his mama called.  It will be good to finally see him in blue.

3.) — Morgan Newton and Ryan Mossakowski.  Newton was the name on everyone’s lips going into the season – until Mike Hartline had a pretty solid year.  But with the loss of Hartline, fans will get a chance to see how much Newton and Moss have progressed since last year, and get a glimpse into what next year holds at the QB position.  I’ve heard a lot of positive things about Newton since the Mike suspension, and you know Joker will call at least one play for Moss that has him throwing the ball out of the stadium.

4.) — Derrick Locke.  While his career has been littered with injuuries, when Locke has been healthy he has been phenomenal to watch.  With breakneck speed he became Kentucky’s go to RB after the departure of Rafael Little and has been going strong for a few seasons now.  It’s going to be our last chance to see number 20 tear through a hole for a long TD run – and with the QB issues mentioned early, look for the Offense to get Locke going early and often.

5.) — Randall Cobb.  Cobb hasn’t decided to declare for the draft – yet.  But he is publicly weighing his options, and you can’t blame the kid.  He has been the guy for Kentucky starting his freshman year.  If there was ever anything Randall Cobb couldn’t do at Kentucky (aside from beating Tennessee,) he must’ve missed it.  I would love to have him back for another year, but just in case it’s Cobbs last time in the Blue, gear up and enjoy him while you can.

Look, even Joker has come out and said this season hasn’t quite been what he wanted it to be.  But if you let the game go by tomorrow you’re going to be missing out on a good one for the fans.  It’s going to provide a decent look into what our team might have next year, and a great way to send off some of our favorite players from the past fewyears.

Plus, you know, at least watch it to see if Pitt’s coach stays the same in between halves.

Article written by Will Lentz

39 Comments for Kentucky: Get Excited For The Bowl Game

1. YA BOY
    1:03 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Esteemed bowl game???

You do realize that this toilet bowl is just another way the NCAA is hurting sports in order to make more money?

Eliminate these toilet bowls and institute a playoff system… oh, and FREE ENES!

2. Ciggy
    1:37 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Try as i might, i just can’t make myself care about UK football.

3. tdogg4033011
    1:38 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

UK by 2 TD’s

4. RidgeRunner
    1:41 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

3..Thinkin’ the same.

Leaving in about an hour for B’ham.

5. tdogg4033011
    1:41 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m a UK football fan, but I wasn’t to excited for this bowl game, especially after Pitt lost their coach. Now that Newton is starting for the first time this season & a new D cord on staff … I’m a little more hyped for the game.

6. ACKWELL FOLEY
    1:42 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

BIGGEST GAME OF JOKER’S TENURE. A LOSS AND COBB GOING PRO COULD SPELL OH-NO FOR JOKER. I SEE THE CATS PLAYING THERE BEST GAME OF THE SEASON. THEY SHUT DOWN THE RUN AND MORGAN NEWTON PLAYS GREAT. CATS 33-20. COME MONDAY EVERYONE WILL BE TALKING ABOUT IF COBB COMES BACK THEY COULD WIN 8 OR 9 GAMES NEXT SEASON. HEARD THAT BEFORE, SAID THAT BEFORE. PLEASE DON’T GO RANDALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. tdogg4033011
    1:42 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

4) cool man, be safe ….. enjoy ya trip & root em on !!!

8. Jaws2
    1:43 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m actually more concerned that our defense will be WORSE (imagine that!) if Minter has changed schemes for this game.
    It’ll just give our guys more excuses to say they were “out of position” on the play. We hear that too often as it is. Regardless,
    I took the 3 1/2 for $100. We’ll see.

9. ACKWELL FOLEY
    1:43 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

SEE YA’LL IN THE B-HAM.

10. Rick's Boyz
    1:44 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

If Mister Cobble was a real lady’s man (like BTI) they would be chasing him & not vice versa!

11. RidgeRunner
    1:44 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Yes tdogg and I gotta give support to the guys one last time for their efforts this year. Just glad I found the time & money to go.

12. ReverendBlue
    1:44 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

UK – 34 Pitt – 24

13. ACKWELL FOLEY
    1:45 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

CATS SHIT ON PITT

14. RidgeRunner
    1:46 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

1 more thing to all those driving down…

We all may need to get a loan to pay for the cost of gas! I yi yi!

15. steviesdroppedtdcostmeagrand
    1:46 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Seth Davis Tweeted that the University of Kentucky will find out about Enes Kanter’s eligibility as early as today and by Monday at the latest.

Davis’ Tweets:

Source indicates UK is braced to hear ruling on Kanter’s appeal as early as today, by Monday at latest. Appeal heard via teleconf yesterday.

Everyone is guessing at this point, but it’s clear Kentucky is not optimistic about Kanter’s prospects. Neither am I. There’s always hope.

16. Al's IndiCats
    1:47 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

My money says they’ll change coaches again before the coin toss.

17. Lee Todd
    1:47 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I don’t think anyone gives a shiiit about this toilet bowl game. On the other hand, any fresh Enes news?

18. Logan
    1:51 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

When people have to tell you what to get excited about you know the game sucks

19. Al's IndiCats
    1:52 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

15) with each passing hour my optimism wans

20. RidgeRunner
    1:53 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

18…Point taken. But I love my football Cats & be hollerin’ loud Go Big Blue down in Birmingham!

21. GoGoCatsGo
    1:54 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Cats should win the bowl game by two touchdowns realistically. But all I can think about is Enes (sort of that’s what she said) I am still optimistic that he will be freed no matter what everybody says. I also waited up on Christmas Eve for Santa Claus. So, whatever.

22. Big Blue 66
    1:57 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

19. im hoping that the delay / time to announce the decision is a positive one, im hoping that if the appeal didnt move anyone or create an arguement, they would have said no quickly…….fingers crossed

23. tdogg4033011
    1:58 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

FREE ENES !!!!

24. Bundy
    2:03 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I wish you negative people just wouldn’t post at all. The players and recruits do read this.

Myself, I’m headed down bright and early in the morning…of course I live in Huntsville AL, so it’s only a little over an hour for me…

25. hate to say it
    2:04 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Is anyone else feeling like it is going to be a tough day for UK? Daniels to Kansas and Enes not freed.

26. 78 NCAA Champions
    2:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Heading to the game within the next couple of hours. Go Big Blue!!

27. Dick10,000
    2:10 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

AMEN 25

28. Dick10,000
    2:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Sorry I meant 24

29. Hard Hittin' CAT
    2:14 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I’m freakin’ pumped for the bowl game. #1 it’s my boy D Locke’s last game, and then also Turtle’s last game, Matthews’ last game, and most likely
    Cobb’s last game. I’m holding on to hope that Danny ‘The Beast’ Trevathan returns next year. I just don’t want to say goodbye to his hard hitting
    attitude. Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. #2 our team needs to finish strong this season to hold some momentum going into next year.

Go get ’em CATS! I’ll be rooting loud enough from Frankfort that you may be able to hear
    all the way down there. Basketball can hold off for now.

CATS by 14, 31-17. GO CATS!!

30. Don
    2:14 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Anyone going to be in Athens for the basketball game? If so, any good places to watch the bowl game?

31. Marc Maggard
    2:19 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

My inside sources tell me that Mike Hartline won’t be playing during this game. Subscribe to my website for more insider information.

mm

32. BigBlueOne
    2:23 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

This is Joker’s game to showcase Newton not only to the Kentucky fanbase but also to a certain wide receiver that will probably be putting quite a bit of weight on who is actually going to be throwing him the ball next year (if he stays).

33. JackNicklaus
    2:23 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I just hope Joker frees Newton and lets him throw the ball and make some plays. Do not want to watch a hand-off fest.

Oh yeah….I hate the NCAA. If there is a more arbitrary, hypocritical organization, I certainly don’t what it is.

34. BigBlueOne
    2:26 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Heading down tonight myself. Plane from STL to Charlotte then back to Birmingham (WTF???). For those of you ranting about toilet bowls, etc. have fun on your couch. The Bowl games are always fun and this one will be no different…

35. thisusernamestinks
    2:38 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

Plan to watch both games from the couch, everyone have a safe trip.

36. bearded gnome
    2:54 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I say Joker will be more agressive on offense and defense. I don’t expect the punt on 4th and 1 like past games. Surely he knows the fan base will bemoan this type of call. And defense will show up in the 1st half. If I’m wrong, well Joker its been nice…

37. yesterdays
    3:06 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

I love KY football, always support it and have had season tickets for years. Its just tough to support a program that consistently plays “not to lose.” The results of these fringe bowl games are highly over-valued. Who really cares if we win this game???? I dont think any of our bowl victories have really made a difference in the following season or with recruiting. A kid doesn’t say “hmm, they lost their BBVA compass bowl, so im not going there.”

I do think Minter is a step in the right direction. As conservative as Joker is, we will need a good defense. It certainly cant get any worse than Steve Brown’s Bend, bleed and gash defense. Hopefully Cobb comes back and Newton takes us to the next level.

38. Ciggy
    3:11 pm January 7, 2011 Permalink

So, if i’m not kissing your ass, i shouldn’t post. Point noted and laughed at, thanks though.

39. L-ified Troll