Kentucky Football: Would You Trade A Louisville Loss For A Bowl Game?

Louisville

With football season drawing nearer, most fans remain uncertain about the product Kentucky will put on the field next year.  Honestly, I expect at least a few pleasant surprises as the season progresses, and I think a bowl game and a win over a few key rivals (Louisville and… dare I say Tennessee?) are possibilities.  But since we still aren’t sure what we’ll be getting this Fall – and since a number of so called experts have predicted an end to the Kentucky bowl streak – let’s run a hypothetical by you all.

In this situation you can have one of two options – you can beat Louisville and only win 5 games (we’ll say WKU, Central Michigan, Jacksonville State, Louisville and Vanderbilt,) or you can take a loss to Louisville, win 6 (add Miss State and Ole Miss to the previous list,) and have a reasonable shot at winning the bowl game.  Neither scenario gives you a Tennessee win, but the second does give you a late season three game winning streak – all of which are SEC games.

What do you say?  Is beating your rival worth missing out on post-season play?

For the record – I fully believe Kentucky will both beat Louisville and make it to a bowl game, but that doesn’t answer my question.

Article written by Will Lentz

38 Comments for Kentucky Football: Would You Trade A Louisville Loss For A Bowl Game?

1. Bardstown
    8:08 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

Bowl game. However, the days and weeks after losing to little brother would hurt.

2. TeamPaulyD
    8:09 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

If its like Little Ceasar Bowl against Ball St… Id take Loserville win and no bowl!!!

3. KSR Spy
    8:16 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

No No NO! Always pick Louisville.

If we lose to Louisville and make it to a bowl game…we will hear ALL YEAR LONG that UofSmell was just good as UK and could have made it to a bowl game if their coneference wasn’t so awesome. Considering it will be some crappy bowl…beating Louisville is always better…Always. Unless…it’s the National Championship…then maybe…but I would have to think about it.

4. pji
    8:17 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

Would you trade a day with no KSR if no one ever made a “Would you trade…” post again?

5. macsauce13
    8:17 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

6. wildcat_marine
    8:28 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

Beat Louisville. If we can’t beat those chumps then we’ll be in a junk bowl away.

7. AJ
    8:29 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

How many posts have we had throughout the years asking this or that or would you trade this for this? Just saying, it’s a little tired.

8. Owen
    8:38 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

I’d take a Louisville loss for wins over Tennessee and Florida. As much as the UofL game means to us it really doesn’t mean much to the rest of the country compared to those conference games.

9. Eggs Wilhoite
    8:39 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

Lousville, always Louisville. The bowl games we go to are useless compared to beating Louisville. I would take a loss to Louisville in a 10-2 or 11-1 season with a big time bowl game, but that is not happening anytime soon as we do play in SEC.

10. Owen
    8:40 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

That said, if we beat those teams and weren’t bowl eligible I don’t think it’d matter either and I might still even rather have the Louisville win.
    However, I wouldn’t trade a loss to Louisville for another 6 or 7 win bowl game.

11. Blaineman
    8:48 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

How many times are we gonna do this?

12. JBR
    8:48 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

Always beat Louisville…and I agree with #7…let’s start actually covering football instead of making up stuff about it.

13. bung
    8:51 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

I wish we would stop playing looavul in anything.

14. munderstandp
    9:06 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

dumb post

15. BIG BLUE 502
    9:09 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

Louisville. Always louisvile. I live right outside lou and I hate listening to all the fans. Oh charlie strong this and that. Its ok. He’s goin to THE Ohio state. Lol. Bye bye uncle charlie.

16. tdogg4033011
    9:10 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

15) nahh, Urban Meyer will be the next hired coach at OSU I’d say

17. MtnCat
    9:17 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

I don’t concede an inch, play them one game at a time and win them all.

Beating little brother is getting old, let’s schedule someone significant and let City College go on dreaming. Go Cats!

18. bigcatdaddy4263
    9:26 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

I would trade a Louisville Victory for a Tennessee Victory, but other than that, HELL NO

19. Cat's Balls
    9:29 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

It would have to be an embarrassing defeat of Louisville to be worth sacrificing a bowl game. I mean crippling. Bad enough that serious though is given to discontinuing the series. Bad enough that Papa Johns asks Louisville for their sponsorship money back. Bad enough that Charlie Strong tapes a resignation letter to the AD’s door then moves back to Florida in the middle of the night. Bad, dammitt, bad.

20. KD
    9:32 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

Who cares about a bull crap bowl sad we are happy for low bowls no team thats 6-6 or plays lower division one teams should even be in a bowl to be honest.

21. I am Awesom-o.
    9:36 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

Will Lentz: Would you rather live or die?

22. RIchard Patini
    9:42 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

Seriously, there are a lot of things I would take over a bowl game. And have. I thought I was going to have a bowl game with Karen, but we found that Doc in Ohio. We at least avoided the “plunk” that comes with a bowl game.

23. Kyle
    11:08 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

If it is the Compass Bowl again … UL win > Bowl.

If it is Peach or Outback … Bowl > UL win.

24. Football Man
    11:47 pm June 14, 2011 Permalink

I’d give it all up for a Tennessee win! It’s time we made that job 1! I mean come on, that # of points they beat us by was stupid! Come out and say it “I hate Tn” and by God we are beat their ass!

25. Jdubs83
    12:01 am June 15, 2011 Permalink

We should never settle for a loss to our rival just for the sake of a bowl game. We are Kentucky we shouldn’t except anything else. Seriously we should make it our goal to beat Louisville every year and get to a bowl game. However it would be nice to actually win one of those said bowl games for a change.

26. barn
    7:03 am June 15, 2011 Permalink

tony woods???

27. HackRichards
    7:35 am June 15, 2011 Permalink

no…..HELL NO!

28. longtermmemory
    10:19 am June 15, 2011 Permalink

This post causes me to think about 1994, when everyone was saying “I don’t care if we win another game, I just want to beat Louisville”. We did beat Louisville, and we didn’t win another game. I’ll take the loss to U of L and a trip to a decent bowl game any day.

29. The Realist
    10:32 am June 15, 2011 Permalink

#20, KD, well said.

30. Unboltedharp
    11:43 am June 15, 2011 Permalink

I would never trade a loss to the vile for anything.

31. UK_Football_Fan
    12:44 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Going to a bowl. If we go 1-7 in the conference and miss a bowl game at 5-7 everyone will be calling for Joker’s head. A Louisville loss will sting, sure, but recovering to go 3-5 in the SEC (something we’ve only done once in the last 3 years), sweeping the Mississippi schools and getting an extra month of practice would be too good to pass up.

32. Vince
    2:30 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

I’m guessing all of you who said “beat Louisville” live in Kentucky? Seriously, as an out-of-state UK die-hard, this question is a no brainer: bowl game. But then again, I don’t have to listen to all of the U of L fans all the time.

33. SD
    2:39 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

No way would I trade a win over UL for a bowl game!! The best we get is Music City or Liberty!!! Give up UL for that? No way!!! Outback Bowl and we can talk.

34. SD
    2:41 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Vince,
    I live way out of Kentucky I might add.

35. CA UK FAN
    3:13 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Losing to Louisville is never an option.

36. Czech KY Fan
    3:47 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

If its a REAL BOWL…

If it’s one of these stupid 6-6 record but you still go to a bowl game, Bowls?

No way.

Lets just go 7-5 first before we start talking, musing about making a Bowl game. Beating Louisville is a step to that.

37. Teacher Dave
    4:14 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Of course we all want to see Louisville lose at anything, at anytime, in any sport. That’s a given. But while a win over Louisville is a tasty victory, it is also small compared to the big picture of the athletics department. Going to decent bowls helps the program more for recruiting. Losing to Louisville doesn’t help that, but more potential recruits would be more likely to pay attention to bowl games than besting personal rivals. I love to see Louisville lose; it makes my week, nay, month. But because I love UK so much, if given that choice, I have to go with the potential to better the program; which would ensure a UL loss later.

38. mark p
    11:00 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Beat the f… out of Louisville. Go the a bowl game that matters by going at least 8 and 4, one of those wins over UT. I choose to ignore the question by the way.