Kentucky Fans Aren’t the Only Ones Anticipating Monster 2013 Haul

I look for any opportunity to use this.

After the Peach Jam, Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog is starting to gain an appreciation of what Kentucky fans have suspected for several months: the 2013 class could be Kentucky’s best ever.  With literally at least half of the top ten considered mild- to heavy-UK leans, Calipari has a chance to earn himself quite a few cakes over the course of the next year, even though he’d probably prefer “birthday cake” frozen yogurt at Orange Leaf.  But with the pieces getting closer and closer to falling into place, Zagoria took some in the above article to examine exactly where Kentucky stands with the best players in the country.

He also had some time to talk to a few of the recruits about the school.  When asked what it would be like to get a group of top-ten 2013 players together, James Young and Julius Randle had some interesting remarks:

“Great class, I don’t think we can be stopped,” Young, a 6-7 wing from Troy, Mich., told SNY.tv at the Peach Jam. “Honestly if we get that class together, I think we’ll be tough to beat.”

“I think it could be the best class they’ve ever had,” the 6-foot-9 Randle out of Plano (Texas) Prestonwood Academy said at the event.

I particularly like Young’s use of the word “we” in his brief statement.  Although he hasn’t officially signed, it seems like he’s already mentally preparing himself to be a Wildcat, and is used to the idea.  I think it really is just a matter of time for Young, and the only reason he wouldn’t sign is because of a potential clutter at the wing positions.  That said, I hope to see him in UK Blue next year.  And Randle, in acknowledging that it could be the best class UK has ever had, has to realize what the last “greatest” class did at the school.  Surely that’s more than a slight temptation.

Interestingly, Zagoria thinks the Harrison twins could be “the first domino to fall.”  While they seem to be a slight UK lean over Maryland, the next-closest school, they haven’t been nearly as vocal in their UK adoration as James Young.  Then again, we remember how excited Quincy Miller was before he ultimately signed with Baylor.  I hope the same thing doesn’t happen with Young, but we’ll see.  If people think that the Harrisons could be the first to pull the trigger, though, then that’s perfectly fine with me.  Those two are an instant backcourt: just add a ball.

With so many on the list, however, common sense shows that there simply isn’t room for everybody:

Of course, Kentucky won’t likely get all of these guys — but they will get some of them.

With four or five of those guys, I think Kentucky will be absolutely terrifying (consider that we’re casually throwing out terms like “four or five” in regards to the nation’s top ten players; how times have changed since BCG).  Throw in a few from this year’s roster who will have some time in the system, and experience in big college games, and you’re looking at a fairly dominant team.  And all this is, of course, not taking into account the possible reclassification of Matt Jones’ new golden child Andrew Wiggins.

Wiggins could turn out to be the Nerlens Noel of this year, in the sense that he might not decide to reclassify until the spring…and then he could pick Kentucky over Florida State, where his parents attended.

Any comparison to Noel is a good one, in my book, although I think I’ve convinced myself that Wiggins would be a better fit in 2014.  Still, no matter what year he graduates, I think all Kentucky fans want Cal to get him on the roster.

So while the article doesn’t necessarily contain any brand new information, it’s a great summary on where UK stands, and is worth a look.  It’s always good when someone outside the fanbase recognizes that something scary is going on, and appreciates the work that Cal has been putting in.  Now we just have to wait and see how it pays out in the coming months.

Article written by Corey Nichols

23 Comments for Kentucky Fans Aren’t the Only Ones Anticipating Monster 2013 Haul

1. OoogieBoogie
    9:08 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Young AND Wiggins doesn’t seem likely. But however it plays out it sounds good.

2. bluesince66
    9:09 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Someone to come on and bitch about this post in 3,2,1

3. DB11
    9:10 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

I believe my reputation has preceded me ^

4. UK
    9:15 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Cal stopped recruiting Quincy Miller once we had Wiltjer. Don’t see us adding another PG or SG before trying to lock up the Harrison Twins.

5. Will S
    9:20 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Randle is going to UNC, Duke or NC State. Jabari Parker to Duke. Troy Williams to UNC. UK gets Gordon, Young, Harrison Twins. Wiggins stays 2014. Just my humble predictions.

6. Matthew Hays
    9:20 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Other than the incorrectly listed class years (which seems to be par for the course now at KSR), that’s a pretty decent recruiting post. Our 2012 class could be one for the ages if Cal manages to snag everyone from this list. Go Big Blue!

7. We-Just-Don't-Know
    9:33 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

None of us knows where anyone is going. No one knows where Randle; Williams; Parker; or the others are going. We just don’t know!!!!!! There is no need to pretend that we do.

8. Corey Nichols
    9:45 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

5 – I think Randle is more likely than Gordon, but I agree with Parker, Williams, Young, and the Harrisons.

6 – Exactly which class years are “incorrect?”

9. Go Cats Go
    9:45 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

6. Seems ironic you’re bashing KSR for their mistakes when you said our 2012 class could be one for the ages.

10. OlD_ScHoOl
    9:56 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Calipari is the devil! we will never have a senior on this team again! this team needs 5th year seniors with short shorts, tube socks and underhanded free throws! dagnabbit. i hate change. except for my diaper. it needs changing. just the other day I went out to buy a sarsparilla and it cost me $1.50! wtf! i don’t even know what wtf means! help.

11. Matthew Hays
    10:00 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

#8… basically all of them, but as I said before this isn’t exactly a new thing for KSR. These kinds of slip ups are exactly why I decided to take my talents to a “rival” site in order to provide the most up to date and accurate recruiting info. Feel free to check this out as a sample of my work: http://imgur.com/Ue3lM

12. Smyrna_Cat
    10:02 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Very nice blurb, Corey. Very nice.

13. Jax Teller
    10:03 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Nice to see you having success elsewhere Mathew. I always enjoyed your work here – keep up the great work @ Rivals!!!

14. Mark
    10:13 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

Matthew, why are the years listed in the post the same as the ones on your “rival” site? http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2752/2013;_ylt=AtdOqxeVd2ZR7KLSuuiw8OHVO5B4

15. Corey Nichols
    10:15 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

11 – Please don’t let me interrupt your trolling, but I think it’s only fair to illuminate to other readers that you are not, in fact, Matthew Hays. I admire your commitment to the joke, though. Feel free to continue.

16. Lcat
    10:18 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

We could strike out with a lot of these recruits. Cal is trying to recruit guys from the West coast and Texas. Randle and the twins could stay in Texas-they all like Baylor. Parker is an MSU guy and and the kid from CA lists only one school outside the West Coast,UK. Our best bet is james Young. Why did we not offer Chris Walker a scholarship? He is on the East coast and he liked UK. Maybe he has some problems Cal was aware of, but he was a bird in the hand and has a lot of talent. I cant figure out why UK passed on him.
    Cal got a little lucky this yr with the reclasification of Norlens. Without him reclassifying we still have a good class but at the bottom of the top 10.I do not think UK should get to “uppity”in recruiting. A lot of schools have expanded their recruiting efforts because of Cal, and will likely be successful.

17. Musehobo
    10:19 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

11) I guess it’s perspective. The class of 2013 is what they will say when reflecting on high school. Technically they will be Kentucky’s class of 2013-2014, which we regularly consider the 2014 year. (UK won the championship in ’98, which was actually the 1997-1998 year).

So when we talk about a recruiting class, are we referring to they year they graduate high school, or the first year they have with us?

18. Corey Nichols
    10:24 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

17 – He’s trying to capitalize on an error Matthew Hays made in a post a couple months ago, wherein he improperly listed a player as being from an incorrect class. It’s just some dick; not actually Matthew.

19. Corey Nichols
    10:26 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

17 – And “Class of ____” refers to the year they graduate high school, not the date they finish freshman year of college. Currently, these players listed (except Wiggins) will graduate next May, in 2013. Therefore, “Class of 2013.”

20. Concerned
    10:27 am July 24, 2012 Permalink

18) I don’t think it’s appropriate to bash Mathew just because he’s no longer under the KSR umbrella.
    He’s doing an amazing job over at Rivals.
    Have a little class.

21. blueinmephis
    2:05 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

I stopped reading at “literally at least”.

22. jughead
    2:31 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

You mentioned BCG’s recruiting in negative terms. Did you forget the Tubster’s last years as a recruited at UK. Seem’s like BCG’s class of Liggins, JORTS and Miller did pretty darn well at UK. Oh year, Tubby did bring Bradley and Crawford and those other great players who go us all the way to the NIT. The Tubster shouldn’t even be allowed to sniff one of Calipari’s old jock straps.

23. kybigblue
    3:32 pm July 24, 2012 Permalink

UF has a commitment from two of the top 10 recruits in the country for 2013 so UK may not have clear sailing even in the SEC in 2013.