Kentucky drops to No. 3 in the Coaches Poll

That’s right, Doron. You’re No. 3.

The ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll just hit shelves and the Cats dropped two spots to No. 3 in the new rankings. Undefeated Syracuse is the top-ranked team followed by Ohio State at No. 2.

Behind third-ranked Kentucky is (4) Louisville, (5) Duke, (6) North Carolina, (7) Baylor, (8) Missouri, (9) Xavier and (10) UConn.

The AP poll will be released shortly.

Cayts.

Article written by Drew Franklin

34 Comments for Kentucky drops to No. 3 in the Coaches Poll

1. Neil
    12:31 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Glad to see we are still ahead of Loserville. All their fans were thinking they would be ahead of us. Ha ha

2. blade
    12:34 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

one loss does not a season make. the final game in march is what counts. to do that the team must learn and grow, teague is not in a class with wall or knight yet. jones has to come alive after ind. game. just getting better for the rest of the guys. being consistent,\.

3. afidler
    12:37 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

I know OSU was without Sullinger, but the fact OSU didn’t drop at all is questionable.

4. HilljakLinbeard
    12:40 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Every caller on Deener 790 show was trying to falsely justify being ranked higher than UK, looks like coaches are smarter. However, I doubt the AP reflects this as there are too many idiotic writers voting in that thing. Suck It Cards.

5. AylortheImpaler
    12:40 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

#3. Agreed.. how are we behind OSU?? It should be UK #2, OSU #3.

6. roydillard
    12:41 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

I can not find this poll….

7. Walter Sobchak
    12:42 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

4) I think it’s just because they lost to ranked kansas and we lost to unranked indiana. and they have more quality wins than us right now. i’d say they should be ranked ahead of us.

8. Hoops McGee
    12:42 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Its laughable that UofL is even in the top 15. They aren’t very good and haven’t played a decent team this year.

Their best win was @ home against #19 Vandy who didn’t have their best player…and they needed overtime to do it!

Lessons learned from UofL’s ranking:

1) Play nothing but tomato cans until January.
    2) Don’t leave home until the conference schedule forces it.

Honestly, could anyone who has seen them play REALLY believe this UofL team is one of the top 10 in the nation??? Come on!

9. Jones Returns
    12:42 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

How can OSU not drop and ESPECIALLY not drop below Kentucky…We beat KU by 10 and KU beat OSU by 11…WTF?!? That’s a 21 point spread. Sullinger is averaging 19.1 points per game so don’t give me the lame excuse about him not playing. No doubt UK would drop, but there’s no way anyone can justify OSU being ranked higher than UK.

10. Peoplewhowork
    12:45 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

#3 I am sure we will hear that OSU lost to a ranked opponent as UK lost to Hoosiers. Both losses were on the road. The only ranking that matters is the one at the end of the season anyway.

11. OSU SUCKS
    12:45 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Unbelievable, OSU got wrecked and they don’t drop??

12. Bubba Hotep
    12:46 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

I wouldn’t cry too much about rankings this early. Still in great shape to get a 1 seed come tourney time. So no need to waste time crying over rankings now. Still a lot of basketball to be played.

13. Mr. Obvious
    12:46 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

#2-I hope our final game is not in march!!!!!!

14. Kwildcat
    12:46 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Cats should be 2 , OSU 3 and Louisville ???? why the hell are they a top 5 team????? Farleigh Dickinson has 1 win. Glad we are 3 though!! GO CATS, let’s move on and get behind this team, no more hatin.

15. Jones Returns
    12:47 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

I garuntee UL will lose to Memphis… I’ve watch UL live…they’re horrible. Memphis who was #20 just lost to Murray State University on Saturday. So Murray St.will be the only undefeated team in the state…wow. How are they not in the top 20? I’m still insanely pissed about the IU game and i’m even more pissed about our next stretch of games.

16. Rankings
    12:48 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

I actually dont think the AP will have the Cats much worse. AP is actually the voters that moved UNC UP in the poll after UK beat them. They seem to be more accurate usually, but you never know with these things

17. RickBozich
    12:48 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

At least we know the ‘Cats got a first place vote in the AP…

18. Catsantonio
    12:48 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Everyone needs to RELAX. It’s December, all that matters is a #1 seed and we are almost certain to get one of those in March.

19. 3 goggles and Flexing
    12:51 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

maybe we will cut that ish out and start handling our business like we have something to prove.

20. Carl
    12:51 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

I was kinda hoping UL would be ranked higher than us when we play them. Will provide more motivation for the players. I agree with the sane commenters, it doesn’t really matter in December, let’s learn from it and move on. Lots of basketball to be played.
    GO CATS!

21. Hoops McGee
    12:52 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

#3 – So what? We were without Jones.

Wait…too soon?…

22. Chris
    12:54 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Hilarious! No one even comments on the UK ranking, everyone just wants to keep talking about the CARDS….again! Hahahahaha

23. In Your World Horatio
    12:58 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

#22-Did I miss the joke? Is that funny? Talking about the cards in a negative sense for their sterling schedule and the courage to play zero road games? I think not…

24. RickBozich
    1:04 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

AP has same top 4. SEC (2012-13 version) has 7 out of 25 top teams in both polls!

25. BuckeyeFan98
    1:09 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Cats Fans calm down it only one spot. Sullinger didnt play cant tell me BBN wouldnt be blowing the same excuses out of their asses if Davis or someone didnt play.

26. RidgeRunner
    1:12 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

25…umm…Jones didn’t play for us.

–sorry ya asked for that 1.

27. BBN
    1:27 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

I am more concerned about T. Jones quitting on his team against Indiana than our position in the polls. His attitude is a much greater concern as the season moves on…

28. RidgeRunner
    1:28 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

27…no comment.

I have fellow BBN guys about to strangle me.

29. Derby_Demon
    1:43 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

#26–BOOM!! Absolutely terrific!!

30. 3cats
    3:13 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

3 is better than 4…. right? Go Cats!

31. BBN
    3:15 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

??,

32. Flippy23
    3:29 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

I’ll tell ya what…..I want no part of Baylor…..have you seen them at full strength yet ?? My god……

33. Love the cyber day special!
    4:05 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

25/ 62-60 beeeeaaacchh!!

34. Paducahfan
    4:28 pm December 12, 2011 Permalink

Why even play games before the tournament ?