Kentucky dominates the Jordan Brand Classic

uk-fans-jordan-brand

(via @NextCats)

Tonight was an important night for the future of Kentucky athletics. The football program made its first step towards a rebirth on the gridiron, and the Big Blue Nation finally got its chance to make a visual display of the support surrounding the new-look program.

On the hardwood, the 12th annual Jordan Brand Classic tipped off Saturday night in the Barclay Center in Brooklyn, New York. It seems fitting that six future Cats play there before next season when Kentucky travels north to play Providence in early December, 2013.

As you might expect, the six Kentucky signees stole the limelight. Andrew and Aaron Harrison, and Julius Randle suited up for the East, while James Young, Dakari Johnson, and Marcus Lee were playing for the West.

Andrew Wiggins was playing for the East as well, and it looked like he was having a good time playing alongside the future Kentucky guards.

But the players on the court were not the only “Kentucky” in the building. Dozens of media members in attendance commented on the vocal Big Blue contingent in the Barclays Center. Well played, guys.

In the end, it was an all-star game where defense is optional, so somebody had to lose. It was the West that pulled away once it was all said and done, beating the East 102-98.

It seemed every time you turned around a Kentucky player had its hand in a play, whether it was the Harrison’s throwing lobs or Randle muscling to the rim, Kentucky was plastered all over this game.

Randle was named Co-Player of the Game and finished with a game-high 19 points and 6 rebounds. All things considered, he looked like the most impressive and polished player on the court. He played with a confidence and swagger that will fit perfectly next season in Lexington.

Andrew Harrison posted 6 points, and Aaron Harrison finished with 6 points and 8 assists for the East.

On the other side, James Young scored 10 and collected 3 steals, Dakari Johnson poured in 8 points and hauled in 4 rebounds, and Marcus Lee dropped 6 points for the West.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

20 Comments for Kentucky dominates the Jordan Brand Classic

1. kyauthorsd
    10:38 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

I can hardly wait for October!

2. Kentuckrazy
    10:39 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

The Kentucky guys coming in next year will dominate playing time. Even WCS has his hands full with competition from DJ. Get ready CAT fans, we are going to have some competition at practice which will give UK the toughness we lacked last season.

3. mlvei
    10:47 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

Next year will be so TOTALLY different from last year! First, we will have an extremely deep, talented team. Outside shooting should be no problem. We will have two good players at every position, even point guard. And, even if we don’t get Wiggins, which we still may well get him anyway, Randle is such a tough, driving player that with everyone else, I don’t think it will really matter. This coming season should be one to really remember. I’ve already ordered final four tickets and didn’t see anything except encouragement from tonights performance.

4. John Ellis
    11:24 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

The difference next year will be anyone who isn’t mentally tough will sit until they are. That includes the wonderfully talented Poythres who could disappear for entire games. I think he’s ready to get focused, or he wouldn’t have come back. Randel, the Harrisons, all of them tonight had lean and hungry looks. Can’t wait til they chew up Vandy.

5. BBG
    11:24 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

And how many points did the Louisville recruits get?

6. Caftan
    11:53 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

Randall, #1 draft pick 3 years running, behind Davis & Noel. Mark it down. #Alpha Dog.

7. Caftan
    11:56 pm April 13, 2013 Permalink

#Alpha Cat

8. #9inline
    12:01 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

9. mashburnfan1
    12:42 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

Twins, Randle and Wiggins played together with the CUSE pg for last 5 minutes. Were up 2 or 3 when they all started together and ended up losing by 4. Some of it was showtime playing, which really bothers me in a tied game with less than 2 mins to go. But still they lost lead and game against people their own age.
    On plus side if they get to work together for 35-40 games they will be SCARY good in tourney, with or without Wiggins. Can’t wait till we see em all in KY Blue.

10. mark
    12:48 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

James Young hit 3 three pointers and 2 regular field goals ,box score should show 13 points.

11. Kevin C.
    2:43 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

Tyler (P)Enis botched what would have been the play of the game, between Harrison and Randle.

12. CatTough
    7:15 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

#5 same as me.

13. Jabari
    7:25 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

I am actually the more polished player. However, I don’t have Julius’ motor, will, or beast mode option. I, like Aaron Gordon in the McD’s game, got some of my points by walking back on D and getting big outlet passes for wide open jams. I’m Duke Smart like that. Can’t wait to slap some floors next year.

14. Jabari
    7:38 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

Damn I’m glad we got Randle. That dude is an absolute beast. No way Poythress sees the floor at the 4 spot. Julius will play 30mins a game next year on the most talented team in the nation.

15. LuvDaCats
    7:45 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m lining up for Midnight Madness today!

16. fish on
    8:06 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

don’t forget about the return of WCS! him and Randle will be an unstoppable LOAD next year, and we got Dakari and Marcus Lee probably backing them up. poythress and wiltjer also wow!
    gotta wonder what Chris Walker ( I think that’s his name, 6-10 going to fla) did to piss Coach Cal off because he is awesome! maybe the best player I saw last nite

17. harry
    9:23 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

I see all commentary regarding highly talented team we have coming in, I want to hold judgement till December. There so many factors to be weighed in till then! but i am very hopefull

18. barn
    9:47 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

does anyone know of any good places for cats fans to hang out in dallas?

19. Teachable Mo'
    10:33 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

#18 In the park around White Rock Lake

20. Mc
    10:58 am April 14, 2013 Permalink

My favorite play was when Randle hammered that guy that blocked him earlier in the game while going up for a dunk. Love that toughness. #16-In term of Chris Walker, I think Cal had his eyes on Randle and Gordon and that could be about it. I’m not sure how Walker is as a teammate, and whether he’s “me first”, or how he is as a shooter, but he’s withouta doubt very athletic. I’d still much rather have Randle, and think when we play Florida you’ll see why when they match up.