Kentucky among selection committee’s five most difficult decisions

Over on Yahoo Sports Jeff Eisenburg runs down his list of the Selection Committee’s five most difficult decisions as they select the teams that will play in the NCAA Tournament. In the article Eisenburg weighs the pros and the cons of the Cats making the tournament before comparing them to a few other teams:

Does Kentucky belong over an Ole Miss team playing for the SEC tournament title today? Or over a Saint Mary’s team whose only losses since Christmas have been to Gonzaga? Or over a Boise State team with RPI top 30 wins over Creighton, UNLV, Colorado State and San Diego State to go with a four-point loss at Michigan State? That’s what the committee must decide, but I’d lean toward no.

Time to perform a quick check of those four team’s resumes:

Kentucky                RPI:  56                      SOS 67                 VS Top 50: 3-4

Ole Miss                  RPI: 51                        SOS 127                VS Top 50: 2-3

Saint Mary’s          RPI: 32                       SOS 96                   VS Top 50: 1-3

Boise St                    RPI: 42                      SOS 46                   VS Top 50: 4-7

To me St. Mary’s hasn’t beaten anyone (1-3 vs top 50) and they haven’t played anybody (SOS 96). Their RPI is high from playing a week schedule and does not merit them a spot in the big dance. I think Ole Miss is only going to get in if they find a way to beat Florida today. So for once cheer hard for the Gators. Boise State has one more quality win than the Cats but I don’t consider Creighton, CSU, and San Deigo State exactly murderers row.

All of the teams on the bubble have a strong case for or against them. I’m still holding out hope the Cat’s case is stronger than the rest of them as the committee faces some difficult decisions.

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

93 Comments for Kentucky among selection committee’s five most difficult decisions

1. Rei
    1:05 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Remind me why Boise State is above the other 3 in Dumbardi’s brackets?

2. UK19
    1:07 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I don’t see what’s so difficult. We are out.

3. ColoradoCat
    1:07 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

He fails to mention La Salle, Virginia, MTSU (and possible Oklahoma) who are in many projections, but we stack up much better against them. Yes, Boise and Mississippi should be in. But I still contend we’re more deserving than St. Mary’s, La Salle, Virginia, and MTSU

4. Lance
    1:08 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Why all the talk about Kentucky getting in or not. I’m not sweating it today. Why? Because they dont deserve to be in and I don’t want them to make it. These kids have done nothing to deserve to play in the tournament, and I will not watch them one way or the other. Put this season to bed and be done with it. This team isn’t worth my time, so I will enjoy a lazy Sunday before going back to work tomorrow.

5. Litig8tr
    1:12 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I was going to post my comments, but Lance said it all for me.

6. Kevin Sparks Janeway
    1:14 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I think what this will come down is this..Does the committee believe that UK is as good if not better than these teams without Noel? Simply put..Are the Cat’s better than those teams with without Noel? The Noel factor could enter into the picture. Also the BBN factor could enter into the picture. If all things are equal. BBN can make a difference. After all it still is a business.. Also noted.. UK SOS is based on it’s whole body of work including Noel. I hope that they think that UK is better than those teams and is capable of at least a Sweet 16. If they do then they will be in..

7. sunnycat
    1:18 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

UK has 3 quality wins and almost all of the losses are bad losses against teams that will not make the tourney. This team will just embarass themselves and UK with a tourney bid. And UK should turn down an NIT. DO NOT REWARD MEDIOCRITY.

8. oldschool
    1:18 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

1 – look at the numbers – Boise State has a better RPI, has played and beaten more top teams and has a significantly tougher schedule.

9. Cawood2Cal
    1:18 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I think we get in and win one game. Wouldn’t we be favored by 8 to 10 points over Lasalle in a play-in game? C’mon, BBN. Everyone saying that we should want the season to end out of fear of embarrassment or losing needs to shut the hell up. We have the most victories in the NCAAT – 113. N. Carolina is nearest at 108. We must keep the advantage, because we are the KENTUCKY BLUE, not that pale blue. Let’s say the committee wrongly decides to leave us out, playing devil’s advocate. We should play in the tournament that I will not mention, knock on wood. We have a 20 game winning advantage over Kansas and a 25 game advantage over those pale blues in Chapel Hill. Every game we win adds to our lead in all-time wins. I want in. I will continue to support our team regardless of circumstance. GO BIG BLUE!

10. BigBlueFan
    1:19 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

To 4 and 5 you are not true fans. Even if these guys don’t make it in I will still cheer for them. And for saying u wont cheer for them if they do make u guys are not deserving to be part of BBN

11. sunnycat
    1:20 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

6. A Sweet 16? LMFAO.

12. James
    1:21 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky had a chance to quiet the naysayers. Then VANDERBILT happened. End of discussion.

13. Wildcats Dominate
    1:22 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Everyone seems to forget that every year teams that are close but are projected out by the “experts” at CBS and ESPN will get in. There’s always that one team that fits this category, and this year it COULD very well be the Cats.

Now, that said, do they deserve it? No. But i’m too much of a fan to say that I would rather watch an NCAA tournament without UK. If I have to choose, I take a first round loss in the NCAA over a first round loss in the NIT.

14. oldschool
    1:22 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Turning down an NIT bid would look petty.

Cal should accept the invitation. Play the potential lotto pics in one half and instruct them to go out an play like it’s an AAU game so they can put on a show for the NBA scout. After all – players first.

Let those who are considering transfers (Hood, Wiltjer and maybe others – to play the second half so they can showcase their games to potential schools they could attend next season.

Sprinkle in several minutes of playing time for the walk-ons who worked hard in the classroom to boost the team’s GPA this year and who endured that grueling Camp Cal but never were rewarded with any minutes even in 30-point romps against Montana Dental Tech.

Come on Cal – it’s for the players!

15. crackerhillbilly
    1:23 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Why is anyone thinking there is still a question here? Cats are out. Wonder if they will even bother to gather to watch the selection show.

16. chris
    1:24 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Please someone tell me why Mizzou is a lock for the tournament. This is not an argument for UK to be in but as to why Mizzou is a lock. Makes absolutely no sense to me

17. sunnycat
    1:25 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

10. Just becasue you think watching a team with no heart, hustle, energy and the list goes on and the next guy chooses not to doesnt make you a bigger fan. Its “fans” like you who look through Big Blue Blinders that are satisfied with the mediocrity that was ten years of Tubby.

18. NIT
    1:26 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

People stop saying to turn down a NIT bid. UK can not turn down a bid. Before the season starts, all team are contacted to see if they will accept a bid, UK said yes.

19. oldschool
    1:29 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Yes, I am an idiot.

20. seriously
    1:30 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

it’s “murderer’s row” not ‘murders row’…..might be a good idea to only use idioms you are familiar with

21. burl
    1:31 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

14 . hey oldfool, if you knew half as much as you’d like us to think you do, then you’d know that in order to turn down an NIT bid, you have to do it before the start of the season. You cannot turn down a bid at this point.

22. sunnycat
    1:31 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

WRONG. NIT bids are pretty much last minute.

23. seriously
    1:32 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

?

24. NIT
    1:34 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

25. burl
    1:34 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

22. wrong

26. harry
    1:34 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

whats the point anyway for making a case?

27. Mr. Reflection
    1:39 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

This season has made me realize that I waste to much time on stuff that really doesn’t impact my life…the 2012-2013 wildcats had their chance Friday and absolutely F’d it up! This years team has no business in the dance and hopefully this players first bullsh!t wil come to a screeching halt and get back to a UK first program. On a side note I wonder if Cal still likes “his team”?

28. SUPREMECATS
    1:41 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

no NIT bids are not “pretty much last minute” – hahahaha, what the hell does that even mean???

29. James
    1:41 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Note to UKAY fans. If you want to keep your slight lead as the all-time winningest program over an ever-catching-up Kansas team, you might want to go to the NIT and actually play some basketball.

30. Hoosier Mania
    1:41 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

@ 21…what planet are you from…N.I.T. bids are made after the BIG DANCE brackets are revealed. It’s not like you say, there is a choice of YES or NO made before the season starts. Now get back to your trailer & beat your wife.

31. bubbashine
    1:43 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Any man saying he don’t want in the Dance must be put in the stocks in the town square. It’s a State Law you idiots.

32. chromium
    1:43 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I can’t help but wonder. How do some think UK will have 3-4 players drafted off of an NIT team. I see Nerlens, but c’mon, as Dickie V would say—-are you kidd’n me?

33. skillz
    1:44 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Yes Boise has one more top-50 win than KY (4-7 vs 3-4), but they also have three more losses against the top-50. Just saying.

34. bubbashine
    1:45 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

sunnycat, I’ve seen your foolish comments going back to Tubby. You are the dumbest person in Florida.

35. lonnieb
    1:45 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I love how people get on here talking about how they will not watch another game and the cats are a waste of time…….yet they are on the cats website being negative on a sunday…..SMH hypocrite losers

36. burl
    1:45 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

30. Hoosier mania—See the link in 24, then come back and we’ll talk.

37. crackerhillbilly
    1:46 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Jeez, people. Teams agree to accept an NIT bid at the start of the season. All SEC teams said yes, so like it or not this sorry team will lose one more game this year – and likely against an 8 seed you have never heard of.

38. GoodChicken
    1:47 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I hate all of you fair-weather fans. I also hate all of you hoping they don’t make it to the tournament. There was good and bad this year (mostly bad) but I still enjoyed watching the cats its just been tough. Lose your best player with 8 games left tough. I’m honestly suprised they were in the position to beat florida and missouri and I would take that over an expected loss to them with wins over teams like georiga and arkansas.

39. burl
    1:47 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

30, sorry, there for a minute i forgot you apes can’t read.

40. Hoosier Mania
    1:47 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

@ 36……I stand corrected, my mistake!

41. sunnycat
    1:47 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Every March teams are asked if they will accept NIT bids IF they get an invitation. A few years ago it was UNC I believe who was saying they didnt know if they would take it or not. Being obligated is a kind way of saying UK should take the invite NOT that they HAVE to take it.

42. Hoosier Mania
    1:49 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

@39…..Now are you going to watch the NIT with your teeth in or out. I know a couch burning is in order.

43. burl
    1:49 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

41 incorrect.

44. bmt22033
    1:49 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

@4 – I couldn’t agree with you more. As much as I hate to say it, this team doesn’t deserve to play in the tournament. You can’t play the way that this team did throughout the season and expect to get in the tournament because of the name on the front of the jersey. IMHO, the NIT is an appropriate reward for the collective effort put forth by these guys on a regular basis.

45. burl
    1:50 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

42. we’ll see how long the Loosiers last, i hate to break it to ya, but none of the games are at home.

46. GoodChicken
    1:51 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

with that said I dont see some of these players trying in the NIT because its probably ‘beneath them’

47. NIT
    1:51 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Hoosier Mania, the reason the NIT ask before the season is just in case the team does not make the NCAA. Notice tonite, after the NCAA selection, The NIT brackets will be announced within an hour or so. The NIT no longer has to invite then select.

48. bmt22033
    1:52 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

@42 – shouldn’t you be busy building a shrine to your dominating performance in the Big Ten tournament? Or maybe having some popcorn boxes print commemorating your wins over Wisconsin? 🙂

49. bmt22033
    1:54 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

@46 – by that rationale, some of these players must have thought that the NCAA tournament was “beneath them”, too… 🙁

50. bubbashine
    1:54 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

41. Hey knucklehead, C. M. Newton said teams must decide at the start of the season on the NIT. He knows. He is on the NIT committee.

51. BIG RED PLANET
    1:55 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

We don’t move the needle…We are the needle! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA… NOT!
    They don’t want to beat us …They want to be us! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA…NOT!

Yeah let’s go N.I.T.ing with Cal since we want to be the needle & be them. HAHAHAHHA LMAO all the way to the BIG DANCE!

FAMOUS QUOTES FROM THE ANOINTED ONE..AKA COACH CAL…WHAT A CUM DUMPSTER
    🙂

52. Brandon
    1:56 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

“I don’t consider Creighton, CSU, and San Deigo State exactly murderers row” Creighton is a top 30 team, only 3 of 8 of CSU’s losses were in double digits, and SDSU has been ranked almost all season as well. Boise State BEAT these teams, and has 4 double-digit losses on the year. UK LOST to T A&M, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas and Alabama, and has 8 double-double digit losses. Our average margin of victory in league play was 11, only thanks to 20+ point whompings on Auburn, S. Car., and Miss. St. Minus those, and it’s 6.5 points. Whereas our average margin of loss is 14.33 points, including double-digit losses to Georgia, UT, and TA&M. We don’t deserve to be in. We really don’t. If we make it in, I’ll root for them as hard as if they were a #1 seed, but we can’t honestly think they deserve a spot.

53. Bender
    1:57 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

38) I agree!

54. bmt22033
    1:57 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

@51 – Roses are red, violets are blue, we got 8, ya’ll got 2.

55. bubbashine
    1:57 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I bet Indiana still cut down the nets after losing to Wisconsin.

56. bosshog
    2:00 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

When Alabama won the last title in football-3 in 4 years-Nick Saban was asked the same question he’s always asked-“You don’t celebrate much, do you?” And he answers, “Yeah, we’ll enjoy it for a day or two, and then back to work.” I think that’s the attitude that makes for greatness year-in and year-out. I think this year’s humbling will help Cal and the team grow, understand what it takes to repeat and make them hungry for next year when we should have tremendous talent.

57. sunnycat
    2:00 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

43. Why all the hoopla Billy G’s last year if UK would turn down a bid? Because a yes is NOT set in stone.

58. burl
    2:04 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

57. because as usual, the “hoopla” was from a bunch of people who don’t/can’t read, and don’t know the rules.
    must i refer you to the link again?

59. Drake
    2:04 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Cal just fitted me for my NIT ring. I’m pumped.

60. crackerhillbilly
    2:05 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

For once, thank God we have football to look forward to.

61. sunnycat
    2:05 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Bubbashine you were probably a BCG supporter who thought he needed more time to build his team.

62. Reality
    2:06 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

We have 5 burger boys on the team, plus stein. this team and the coaches have been a disgrace. How in the world was Wiltjer an all-american and a guy like Montrezl Harrell rated in the 80’s. What a joke.

63. sunnycat
    2:07 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

59. Epic waste of time. They dont issue those for a first round loss.

64. sunnycat
    2:16 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

This team just isnt good Cal has spoiled us in his short time in Lexington and for what ever reason this team never clicked on the court. All the McD’s AA mean nothing until they hit the court. I will take a down year like this for the results of the last three. 2012 NCAA CHAMPS, FINAL FOUR and ELITE EIGHT.

65. Matt Jones
    2:17 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m so nervous. I have beat my pecker into submission all day. I have nothing left in the tank so to speak.

66. Big RED Freight Train
    2:21 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

@ 54…
    Roses sre Red…
    Violets are Blue…
    Were going to the BIG DANCE…
    How about you…

67. Matt Jones
    2:25 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Drew’s butt cleavage is to die for.

68. Laker Cat 18
    2:25 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

We better be cheering for Ole Miss. Whatever slim chance we may have hinges on this automatic bid. Just thinking positive and holding out whatever little hope may be left. Let me grieve in peace.

69. What?
    2:27 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

69) You mean we want Ole Miss to lose, right?

70. Common Sense
    2:28 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m as big a Kentucky fan as the next guy, but anyone that thinks this team is deserving of an NCAA bid is just completely ridiculous, and the kind of fans that give others reasons to hate our fan base. With Noel, it seemed they were just starting to turn the corner when he went down at Florida. Before that, our best win was MARYLAND! We lost to Texas A&M AND Baylor… AT HOME! Since Noel’s injury, yes we’ve beat Florida and Missouri at Rupp, but on the road we’ve lost by 30,13,10, and 18 to Vandy in the SEC tournament. Kentucky has no business in the tournament. Period.

71. Laker Cat 18
    2:28 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

70. Yeah sorry. I’m obviously a bit incoherent. I’m not a fan of selection Sunday when our fate is in question. LOL.

72. out
    2:29 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

We are out. We don’t deserve to be in. We blew every big opportunity we had.

73. What?
    2:30 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

72) Haha, I hear that.

74. Matt Jones
    2:31 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I love milking Drew’s Man Boobs when he is Lactating…..It makes me “Moist”…

75. Matt Jones
    2:35 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m taking next week off and Drew and I are going to troll every gay bath house in the state. We bought matching [email protected] chaps when we ere in Cali. Drew’s rumpshaker looks like a tight little apple in them.

76. Bigcat4453
    2:36 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Looks like Miss is trying to take our spot in the tourney even as we speak.

77. sccat
    2:36 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

montrezl was aveaging 5 pts and 3 reb a game for the season so what ..he got hot and took opportunity of a weak front….

78. Big Blue Fan
    2:40 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I can’t believe we are on the bubble..We have played an awesome schedule & play in the toughest league in the country. It gets old every yesr everyone is out to get us. We are as good as any one in the country. Coach Cal even said if we got in that he promised we would play better, my God what else do they want.
    Have they forgot we are the needle everything is judged on. They just want to be us not beat us. Maybe Matt will have an answer, he knows everything else… Just really feeling down today…think I’ll go beat my wife & burn my couch. Hopeless in the Hollar!

79. NKY Cat fan
    2:44 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

God Marshall Henderson is such a PUNK!!

80. What the
    2:44 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

79. The toughest league in the country? I dare you to find one expert that believes the SEC is the toughest basketball league in the country this year.

81. KYStout
    2:48 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Wow the comments section continues to be an unmoderated cesspool.

Matt? Drew? Why do you let the sickening comments remain? Are hits that Important?

82. Al's IndiCats
    2:50 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

You know what I love? I love all these TROLLS living either under the bridge or in their Garnny’s basement giving all us UK fan SH!T. Really guys? First off KSR was made by a fan, and you azzwipes don’t even have a fan who’s smart enough to start a Uvell or Hosier blog page. Hell you all keep yapping those 4 teeth you actually own because after you find yourselves bounced. NIT sure, I’m sure if invited UK will except, but guess what? We have more wins than you two COMBINED, We have more NCAAs than you. LMFAO both of you will fold like a dealer on crack because you cannot get there. Have your fun this year, because everyone knows that Morehead and IUPUI have out recruited you BOTH this year ha ha ha ha….Now go make a popcorn box on that one IPOO

83. Matt Jones
    2:50 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Drew & I are going to frequent that Chinese place again tonight. Tonight we will be having the #7 on the menu, FUK-MI-SLO. We have to have it tonight because its not available on school nights.

84. Big Blue fan
    2:53 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

God I love going down on my dog before every game. The only thing beter than that,is having an IU fan watching.

85. BIG RED PLANET
    2:55 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

How does a UK fan get a hunching dog off of his leg?????
    He picks him up & sucks his dick..

TRUE STORY…

86. Matt Jones
    2:57 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m going to put clothes pins on my nipples as I watch the selection show. Should give us good luck.

87. Cal'sFrontButt
    3:00 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Marshall Henderson is about to jam his entire fist up all the Cayut’s fans collective asses.

88. MRW_BBN
    3:19 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Well guess what…..Ole Miss found the way to beat Florida. It was called HEART!!!

89. BIG RED PLANET
    3:27 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I love when me and my grandmother gets it on, when she takes out her teeth she reminds me so much of my dear old mom!

90. BIG RED PLANET
    3:32 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

Nothing sucks like a grandmother in a trailer down on the Hollar…

91. Taco
    3:37 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

No way we get too dance with our week non-conference schedule, not too mention losing four games bye double digits in the last four weaks of conference play.

One word sums up this team “WEEK”. There mind is week, style of play is week, there attitude is week and they are always taking one step forward and two steps back each weak.

I would love too see MKG, The BROW and Teague take on this team 3 vs 5. I would bet the farm on the 3.

92. monitor
    3:45 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

NCAA may or may not rank UL #1 in the tourney, but the NEA just downgraded the Jefferson County public school system to 194th in the state.

93. mandyreed
    6:43 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m a UK fan and always have been. We had a bad year this year. I knew we weren’t going to make it in the tournament. But that’s ok. We will get them next year.