Ken Pomeroy rates the Cats #1

This is Ken Pomeroy. He is smart.

Ken Pomeroy’s first college basketball ratings for the 2012-2013 season are out and the Cats come in at #1. Here’s the top ten, with their respective “Pyth” ratings (pythagorean calculation for expected winning percentage*):

1. Kentucky (Pyth: .9426)
2. Ohio State (Pyth: .9377)
3. Indiana (Pyth: .9358)
4. Michigan State (Pyth: .9274)
5. Wisconsin (Pyth: .9235)
6. UCLA (Pyth: .9086)
7. Syracuse (Pyth: .9058)
8. Louisville (Pyth: .9034)
9. Duke (Pyth: .9027)
10. Kansas (Pyth: .8992)

Kentucky’s spot atop the ratings contrasts almost every other preseason ranking we’ve seen so far, in which the Cats are ranked anywhere from third to fifth. Also, what’s up Louisville? How’s the eighth place rating feel for a change?

*I would try to explain the Pyth rating to you, but it is way over my head. Read about it here.

15 Comments for Ken Pomeroy rates the Cats #1

1. Syrin
    10:03 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Wow, 4 of top 5 in the Big Ten

2. bluefan
    10:21 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

I don’t have to understand this to love it!
    Hard to believe the Big 10 will be that good though.

3. Big Whoop
    10:29 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

I don’t get his love affair with Ohio St. since 2010. Indiana will be better than the Buckeyes. As for UK being number #1, I don’t buy into that, although I love it as much as any fan. Going into the season, I would say maybe # 20 – 25 with us moving up as the season wear on is far more realistic. I’ll bet IU and UL fns are howling right now. LOL

4. CatsfaninFL
    10:36 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Big 10 will continue to be a joke to me… dominate and beat up on each other in regular season then tank it in the post season. Too many friends from that area and I get tired of hearing them flap their gums. Since the last Big 10 team won it all, SEC has won 3, ACC has won 5, Big 12 has won 1, and Big East has won 3.

5. Musehobo
    10:44 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

3) He doesn’t rank them based on who he likes. He has an insane mathematical formula that includes variables most polls don’t consider. He has by far the most accurate rankings every year. But I gotta think the system is off on this one (hope I’m wrong), but this team is not last years, I have a hard time seeing us #1, even at the end of the year.

6. iMac
    10:54 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Is it weird that I always pictured ken to be Asian

7. BLUE BALLS
    10:55 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Who the Hizzzelll is Ken Pomroy??

8. CAYUTS
    11:49 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

I made a killing using pomeroy’s lines last year in the tournament. Even picked the Lehigh-Duke upset based on his numbers. He’s amazing, but with stats these ratings don’t start to solidify until week 4 or 5 into the season. His algorithm always loves Wisconsin and some B10 teams because they slow the game down a bit, leading to defensive efficiency as their opponents are usually held to a smaller point total. But kenpom is legit, I recommend everyone buy a subscription (www.kenpom.com)

9. SoCal Will
    11:52 am October 30, 2012 Permalink

Might as well be on top in a pything contest….

10. Duke Sucks
    12:50 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Easy people. We are not as good as last year, but neither is anyone else. IU will be strong with zeller but every one else is about equal at the top. IU will be the hunted not the hunter will see how they do with the pressure squarely on their shoulders all year. This year is simple if IU can handle the pressure they will win if not it will come down to who gets hot at the end.

11. rainman
    1:48 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

As usual in these type rankings, big ten over rated!

12. stmlax03
    1:49 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

I think people are even underselling this team

13. Bob Sugar
    5:10 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Indiana was not that good last year. Indiana can’t guard their shadows. Louisville was not that good last year. Louisville can’t score. Teams in the NCAA are no where as good as last year’s best teams. This UK team is a favorite hands down by far sight unseen.

14. yestroy
    5:42 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

Don’t get too excited. “A problem here is that I applied the final ratings retroactively to the last season’s results, so it’s a little high for predictive purposes. This will be revisited eventually”- Ken Pomeroy. From his explanation about this year’s ratings.

15. Dr. Funke
    5:46 pm October 30, 2012 Permalink

These rankings are based on last season and are useless. Ken pom rankings shouldn’t be used for anything until it has enough data from this season to be unbiased.