Kelly Oubre has a scholarship offer from the Cats

7_924468

One of the players Cal is watching today at the Peach Jam is Kelly Oubre, Rivals’ 19th best player in the 2014 class. Oubre is a 6’7″, 200 lbs. shooting guard from Richmond, Texas who posted 20 points, six rebounds and four assists in his team’s win over Malik Newman’s Jackson Tigers this morning.

Afterwards, Oubre told Adam Zagoria that Cal recently offered him a scholarship over the phone:

“I started hearing from them about a week ago, two weeks ago, before Peach Jam started,” Oubre said.

“I talked to Coach Calipari and Coach Orlando [Antigua] on the phone, so it was great. They did offer me [to play] shooting guard, three man, it doesn’t matter.”

He added of Kentucky: “[Calipari] just kept it straightforward. He was like, ‘If you come to my school, we going to produce you. Only the best come to my school. If you come in and compete, you’re going to compete every day.’”

Oubre says that after the Peach Jam, he will narrow his list, which currently includes Louisville, UConn, Kansas, North Carolina, UCLA, and Florida.

19 Comments for Kelly Oubre has a scholarship offer from the Cats

1. stanley johnson
    12:04 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

Not feeling good about me?

2. Andrew
    12:09 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

1.) Stanley is a SF, this guy is a SG.

3. stanley johnson
    12:11 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

2- thats bad i don’t even know my own posistion

4. bob
    12:13 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

and you can’t spell position

5. mike
    12:13 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

cal has offered more players at this point in the 2014 class than he has with any class before..got a feeling 2014 might not be a very strong recruiting class for kentucky..*sigh*

6. greg
    12:18 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

I figure we still get a few studs. I like were we stand with Mudiay, Booker, Johnson and we are strong in contention for many others. I don’t see us getting jones and Okafor though.

7. andrewh
    12:25 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

that hair is goofy looking

8. Sam
    12:29 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

Based on his quote, I don’t see that a scholly was actually in fact offered. The kid could have just had a poor choice of words. “Offered me shooting guard”? Cal’s comment could have been just “we’re looking at you as a shooting guard,” but perhaps no offer has been made.

Just saying.

9. Pimp
    12:30 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

Is she any good?

10. RUPPS_rhetoric
    12:48 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

5.mike) And by “not strong” I’m assuming you mean he might only have a top 3-5 recruiting class instead of 1-2. Oh how the mighty have fallen ..*sigh* It’s like a Louisville fan whose class is ranked around 8th saying “Ha Ha UK your class sucks! It’s only the 3rd best class in the country!” God forbid Cal doesn’t land the #1 class for the 5th year in a row.

11. Hello from Houston
    12:59 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

This guy hand some battles with the Harrison twins last year. They were district rivals. Oubre’s team won the season series, while the Harrison twins won the playoffs while on their way to the state title. Maybe the Harrison twins will help get this guy to wear Blue. I remember being really impressed by him, he held his own against the twins. Very athletic, good handle, and decent jumper. He had 30 (~18 from Ft line) or so the game I saw.

12. All I Want is #9
    1:05 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

If he feels good about Vaughn, Booker and Johnson why did Cal offer him?

13. C-Bone
    1:09 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

When did Rufio from Hook start playing basketball?

14. Barber
    1:36 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

Good. Now may be someone can give him the name of a good hairdresser or barber!

15. david lynch
    2:39 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

eraserhead anyone?

16. Boy George
    3:16 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

Offer from the women’s or men’s?

17. eric
    3:38 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

He looka like a poodle.

18. RahRah
    3:47 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, let’s all make fun of the kid – that’ll bring him to Lex! Come on, guys. Who the heck cares about his hair?

19. Mark
    4:47 pm July 11, 2013 Permalink

You all are funny. We have had some different hair cuts. It really doesn’t matter as long as he can really play. Look, I think Cal is offering a bunch of people. I blows me away when a high school kid is narrowing his choices down to 25 teams. Either they want to come to Kentucky or not. I got kinda burned out on Wiggen’s trying to make his quiet mind up. It just wasn’t meant to be. Maybe with these offers, we will know what we have befor next June? Ya think?