May 12th is the birthday of the one and only Keith Bogans. The former Cat has had his moments in the NBA, but there’s probably no player who receives the ‘what if’ tag by UK fans more than Bogans. Had he not injured his ankle in a Sweet Sixteen win over Wisconsin, would the Cats have bested Dwyane Wade’s Marquette Golden Eagles. Bogans showed flashes in the professional circuit, but he isn’t currently with an NBA club after being waived by the New Jersey Nets. He’ll always have a special place in the hearts of Kentucky fans, though, so show him some love on his 31st birthday.
– ESPNU is airing a 30 minute special on the Cats’ trip to the White House starting at the posting of this. I don’t know what’s left to see or hear or read about that trip, but you might as well check it out. You know, if you aren’t doing anything on a Friday night.
– Tomorrow morning is the LAST CHANCE TO AUDITION FOR THE KSTV CASTING CALL. We are afforded so few opportunities to be great in our lifetime. Don’t let allow this opportunity to escape your grasp. Get to Sam Swope Honda World in Louisville tomorrow morning for registration from 8:00 — 11:00 a.m. Thank me later.
– The big news of the day is that former Cat Sean Woods is leaving his job at Mississippi Valley State to coach the Morehead State Eagles. Welcome home, Sean, and congratulations for being a part of the biggest news of the day. Yes, the biggest news of the day.
– John Calipari said on his website today that he has accepted an offer to coach the Dominican Republic national team at the 2012 FIBA World Olympic Qualifying Tournament. The last-chance qualifier, which features 12 national teams, takes place July 2-8. The top three teams earn a spot in the 2012 Olympics in London. The team will scrimmage the U.S. squad in Las Vegas on July 12th. The Olympics begin July 27th. Keep in mind that the Fighting Dominicans have never qualified for the Olympics and if Cal could guide them there, then he’d automatically be elected as the country’s premier.
– LeBron James will be named the NBA’s MVP for the third time tomorrow and whether you like the guy or hate him, it never hurts to have a guy that actively supports the Wildcats being lauded as the best player in the league. Keep doing your thing, LeBron, and by ‘your thing’ I mean rooting for UK.
– Billy Joe Murphy and Taiedo Smith have been signed by the Cincinnati Bengals today. I am a huge Bengals fan and I love nothing more than when they sign UK guys. I loved when Glenn Holt was playing for them a few years back. The Bengals have made an effort to shore up their offensive line and secondary this offseason so both guys will have a lot of competition but it’s great to see them get the opportunity.
– The UK men’s tennis team won their first round meeting with Radford in the NCAA tournament and that means they’ll now face the Indiana Hoosiers who bested Louisville in their first round meeting. Apparently the Louisville players were crying after their first round loss so if you’re the kind of person who enjoys hearing about Louisville athletes cry then that’s for you. The sixth ranked Wildcats need to beat the 27th ranked Hoosiers to advance to the Sweet Sixteen. UK has already beat the Hoosiers once this season. Also, the Louisville players were crying.
I’d like to tell you that we’ll have more tomorrow, but I just don’t know. Just kidding. We’ll have more tomorrow. Love you guys.