Karl Towns to play high school baseball next year

That’s the face of a scary person.

That's the face of a scary person.

This dude is going to play high school baseball. Not. Fair.

I recently watched on old episode of Entourage, and Mike Tyson was in it. I can’t remember exactly what he said –something hilarious about pummeling Ari’s face in, basically– but at that moment, I just remember thinking: yep, that’s my worst nightmare. Having Iron Mike crush my skull with his fist would literally be the worst thing imaginable. In fact, I’m pretty sure the order of my top 3 irrational fears would have to go: 1. Tyson-fist-to-face 2. Shark attack 3. Knocking all my teeth out on the bottom of a swimming pool.

You know what would be up there if I were still 17-years-old though? The thought of having to step into the batter’s box against Karl Towns. I mean, the kid is 7’1, 240 with freakish athleticism. What’s the game plan there? And how certain would my death be?

Unfortunately for all the young baseball players in the Greater Middlesex Conference of the NJIAC, that completely irrational fear just became very, very real. According to Adam Zagoria, Karl Towns, Jr. will be playing baseball his senior year at St. Joe’s. And he plans to pitch. The last time he was on the mound? In 8th grade… at which point he was already throwing in the high 80’s.

Word of advice to high school baseball players in New Jersey: Quit. It’s not worth it.

@McCarthyKSR

Article written by Andrew McCarthy

11 Comments for Karl Towns to play high school baseball next year

1. JPhelps
    8:58 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Am I the only person who thinks this is a bad idea? I mean, I understand, the kid’s young, he’s gotta live his life. But pitching? Please God, no liners up the middle. He’s a big target. Could we put him behind a pitcher’s net?

2. UK
    9:28 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

1) Im with you. Also we saw what happened when WCS focused only on basketball. If you are a high level basketball prospect that’s what you should be doing.

3. Bomb
    9:32 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

JPhelps. I agree with you, but for a different reason. Pitching is pretty tough on your rotator, labrum, elbow etc. Combine expected shoulder wear with potentially suspect mechanics (i.e., the kid is 7’1) and the fact that he has not pitched in years, sounds like a recipe for an injury. While he might not fall victim to an acute injury, risking a long-term shoulder wear could come back to bite him.

4. Megan
    9:32 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

It’s not the come-backers that concern me. It’s his elbow. If he hasn’t been throwing a baseball for the past few years, this IS a bad idea. Hope they have a pitching coach who knows how to look after him.

5. lol
    9:58 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Have any of you played baseball? This is high school and he wouldnt be pitching every game there are rules to how many innings a week they can pitch. Get a grip you losers it doesnt matter what you think about him playing.

6. CCC
    10:14 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Leave him alone. He is a kid. Probably get rocked anyway.

7. BNClay
    10:15 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

If the kids wants to play baseball more power to him. But the reason I wish he wouldn’t is not because he could get hurt, but because he could be awesome. Many many a Dominican kid has smoked some 96mph fastballs by some high school hitters and been drafted to play in MLB. He is a exceptionally gifted athlete and it wouldn’t surprise anybody for him to excel at baseball as well. It would get him a quicker paycheck and Dominican Republic baseball is much bigger than basketball.

I want him to see him scoring for the Wildcats not getting strike outs for the Legends.

8. Kevin C.
    4:35 am June 3, 2013 Permalink

Karl Towns, A.K.A. The Big Black Unit.

9. Scott
    9:07 am June 3, 2013 Permalink

I remember our center was out of school with “an upset stomach” when we faced Rex Chapman and Apollo. Don’t blame him either.

10. Adam
    1:36 pm June 3, 2013 Permalink

Not sure what you’d be so worried about. Are you even sure he can throw? I’ve seen plenty of tall dudes who can’t hit 80 on the radar gun. I’m more worried about him hurting his own arm.

11. joe j
    3:43 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I live here in new jersey and played against him in little league. he couldn’t throw high 80’s and wasn’t even a top player on his own team. this is just Karl being Karl. there’s a lot of stuff you all don’t know about him because you only see the basketball highlights and recruiting stuff. but he also told people he was a 4-handicap in golf and I know for a fact he’s never broken 90 on a golf course. he also claims to be 7-foot-1 and a half even though at the Nike Hoop Summit last month he measured an even seven feet. why lie about the extra 1 and a half inches? it’s just who he is and more importantly it’s who his father is. you all heard the story about the supposed “quadruple double” from this past season for his high school. I was at the game and have a dvd of the game. karl had 5 assists in that game. period. his dad was the one claiming he had double digit assists. karl is a great basketball player. not a great athlete by any stretch of the mind.