Karl Towns makes the NBA Top 100 Camp roster

towns-commit

Congrats to 2014 UK commit Karl Towns, who was named to the NBA Players Association Top 100 camp roster, which also features several 2014 players the Cats are still pursuing, including Rashad Vaughn, Devin Booker, Josh Perkins, Jalen Lindsey, Craig Victor and Skal Labissiere. The event starts on Thursday in Charlottesville, Virginia and runs through Sunday.

SLAM Magazine caught up with Towns recently and asked him if he’s ready to take the responsibility and spotlight that all of Calipari’s freshmen are expected to embrace. I think you’ll like his answer:

“I’m a big-time demander. I demand you to do something. I think I have something like a potent attitude where I really need my teammates to do what I want them to do. If they don’t do it, then I’m gonna be really upset and I’m gonna make you do it. St. Joe’s people know how I am. The team knows how I am. I’m very demanding and I expect the most of everyone. If you don’t give me the most, then I want you to sit down and not play.”

What will he say to his fellow 2014 recruits this weekend about coming to Kentucky?

“I just want players to come to Kentucky if they want to win. I want to win a Championship there. If you wanted to get recruited to Kentucky, know that I’m going to be there and I want to win.”

How can you not love this kid?

9 Comments for Karl Towns makes the NBA Top 100 Camp roster

1. Boogie
    12:08 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Personally, I think he’s the best player in the 2014 class. I’m not sold on Okafor yet. Seems to overpower people which wont work in college. Karl Towns can do it all.

2. SweetCheeks
    12:11 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

I know KT can back up what he says, but when he says “I’m gonna be really upset” the mental image is a snarling teddy bear. Hope he can get some recruiting done at the camp. Go Cats!

3. I Say
    12:20 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Towns will for sure be a top 5 player in the class either after the summer AAU circuit or after the high school season is over. He would be ranked higher had he not reclassified. I find it hard to believe that there are 11 players better in the 2014 class than the previous number 1 overall player in the 2015 class.

4. bdown
    12:49 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

He has all of the things you want in a college player. I love his attitude and he is definitely saying the right things. Excited that we got him to come to UK!

5. El Pollo Loco
    12:51 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

I realize these quotes are somewhat out of context, but there’s a fine line between being a leader who demands the most out of teammates while following the guidance of a coach and a guy who believes his way is the right way and everyone else has to be that way. Obviously, Cal will be at the reins and I believe Karl to be a good kid and teammate but some (especially other players) could take these the wrong way.

6. 2014 recruit
    1:15 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

Why would i wanna play with a doushebag already trying to demand shit…

7. Ashland
    1:34 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

6.) Because, he may actually teach you how to spell. Douchebag!

8. Karl Towns
    1:36 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

6 – It’s okay. You can’t even spell ‘douche bag’. We don’t need you.

9. Scooby
    2:33 pm June 11, 2013 Permalink

I will stick by my guns, Karl Towns is your true #1 player in 2014. He would make Okafor and Alexander look like fools!