Karl Towns is No. 9 in Rivals.com’s new rankings

towns-davis

One day after Scout.com updated its 2014 rankings, the good people at Rivals.com did the same. The new Rivals150 was released this afternoon and your boy Karl Towns is at No. 9 on the list:

1.) Jahlil Okafor
2.) Tyus Jones
3.) Emmanuel Mudiay
4.) Cliff Alexander
5.) Trey Lyles
6.) Myles Turner
7.) Rashad Vaughn
8.) Stanley Johnson
9.) Karl Towns — committed to UK
10.) Justin Jackson — committed to UNC

Get used to hearing most of those names.

[Rivals150]

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for Karl Towns is No. 9 in Rivals.com’s new rankings

1. fireant
    1:05 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

If KT is #9 then the first eight have to be off the charts. KT is crazy good. I think he is ranked way too low.

2. Scott41
    1:11 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

AD looks like one of the people in the doctor’s waiting room at the end of Beetlejuice.

3. asdf
    1:16 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

def 7′-0″

4. Andrew
    1:20 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

KT> Jahlil Okafor. KT has better athletic ability, better shooting, better dribbling, better playmaking ability, better passing, better defense, better shot blocking. Only thing Jahlil has on KT, as of now, is post moves and rebounding.

5. I Say

Hopelfully with James Young, Marucs Lee, and Dakari left over

7. Mc
    1:31 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

Good one #2.

8. ukfan
    1:32 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

James Young is a beast, he will be gone after one year. I think he will surprise a lot of people by how good he really is.. a think he’s a better version of D Lamb.

9. ukfan
    1:33 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

I think*

10. me
    1:41 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

#4 – post moves and rebounding are gold at the center position. I think KT is underrated at 9-10, but 2014 is a pretty stacked class.

KT is really big, and really long, but he’s a non-traditional center. He’s more versatile than Okafor, and he will probably play a lot of 4 in the NBA because of his shooting ability (think Dirk). He could also play center on a small-ball squad e.g. Chris Bosh and be effective also.

Okafor is not as long as KT, but he’s bigger and stronger. He has a monster body, and can really dominate the paint. I think rating him higher right now is correct.

They both have a big upside I think, but KT has yet to develop his body.

11. Bilbo
    1:48 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

My wish list…mundiay, Towns, Booker Vaughn, black.

What is going on…is Ricky 15 seconds pitino actually recruiting now. If they get lyles that’s a top 1 2 or 3 class.

Please Cal please don’t let Louisville get a better class than us please I will have to move

12. SeaCat
    1:48 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

let Karl play the 3 spot, Trey 4, Cliff 5, Mudiay 1, Stanley 2
    then hang #10

13. YourRealness
    1:49 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

To those who are worried about the Cats not having the #1 class next year… Just look at that list. We will, no doubt, get at least 3 more in the top ten. If that’s not good enough for #1, then I’d like to see the recruiting class that is #1

14. KT is a beast
    1:50 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

Holy crap I knew KT was big but he makes AD look a little small for a big man. Can’t wait to see what this kid can do over the next year or two with some more weight training.

15. Merlin
    1:50 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

Why is Karl Towns wearing my hat?

16. Kentucky Effect
    1:51 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

4) Unfortunately, post moves and rebounding are the most important thing a big man can do. Okafor > Towns.

17. Kentucky Effect
    1:55 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

UK, UNC, Duke and Louisville (arguably the top teams anyway, with Kansas) are going to have the best classes. Probably 75% of the top 25 players will land on one of these four squads.

Duke – Okafor, T Jones, Winslow, Looney, Allen
    UK – Towns, Mudiay, Vaughn, Johnson (Alexander to MSU)
    UNC – Jackson, Berry, Pinson
    UL – Lyle, Lyles, probably someone else?

That’s at least 14 of the top 25 players going to 4 squads.

18. cracka
    2:36 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

who’s #6, myles turner? already on uk’s radar: http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520118

19. Han
    2:57 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

17) One of those teams (us hopefully) could also end up with Exum if he returns for a full year. Could prevent us getting Mudiay, though.

20. Elmer Skaggs
    3:01 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

I hoping Cal is signed Moody

21. Beatle Bum
    3:24 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

Everyone seems to have a bigger head than AD.

22. paducahfan
    3:30 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

2 – I was thinking Men in Black. But he sure can play!

23. jackiemoon
    4:39 pm June 27, 2013 Permalink

Good one #2!I dont think Karl can shave yet.