Karl “Manchild” Towns getting even bigger and stronger

towns

UK’s lone 2014 commitment Karl Towns doesn’t believe in summer vacation. Towns is spending most of his summer in the gym, getting even bigger and stronger. Tim Casey profiled Towns for SportsOnEarth.com yesterday, and reports that the 7’1″ manchild is spending at least four days a week in the gym with Andrew Silber, a trainer and former wrestler, and speed guru Armando Sanchez, working on conditioning and adding muscle to his already big body. How’s he coming along?

When Towns started the program last spring, he couldn’t do a pull-up. Now, he can do several with 20 extra kg attached to his body. Towns is 7-feet and 245 pounds, but Silber and Sanchez don’t want him to add much more weight because the heavier he is, the more impact his knees will endure, which could lead to injuries.”

He’s also working with his dad on improving his mid-range jumper and low-post moves, and gearing up to play with the Dominican Republic National Team under head coach Orlando Antigua later this summer.

Check out Casey’s piece, which includes some great details about Towns and his family, including why he chose Kentucky (hint: apparently our Kinesiology program is the bomb).

[THE EDUCATION OF KARL TOWNS JR.]

12 Comments for Karl “Manchild” Towns getting even bigger and stronger

1. Thompson's Tyler
    9:25 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

2. Al/in/Indy
    9:29 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

Kick some ARSE Karl!!!!!!

3. Marv
    9:53 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

Can he suit up now? He’s going to be UK’s all time recruit in the history of Uk. Wall, Davis, Gilchrist, Issel, step aside. Please let this kid play. Phenom, NBA ready.

4. Hmm
    9:55 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

Best of luck to him, but,seriously, he couldn’t do one pull up? I’m 5-11, 200 pounds and can do ten pull ups with a 45 pound plate on my belt. Never thought I’d feel stronger than a UK commit. #inspirationtokeeplifting

5. M
    10:07 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

Probably a little harder with longer arms. Plus, a lot of players aren’t in the weight room training hardcore. They’re in the gym working on their game first. Still, congratulations to you.

6. haters
    10:22 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

whats with the colleges still calling? give it up

7. Ben
    10:29 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

@4 first 45 lbs is only one more pound than 20 kgs, he also wieghs 45 more pounds than you and he arms are longer making it harder for him. #simplephysics When you can dunk on him, you can talk about how you feel superior. #Napoleoncomplex

8. Ben
    10:30 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

*his arms

9. Hmm
    10:38 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

@Ben: I think that very few people of slightly above average height suffer from Napoleon complexes. My point was, I’ve worked out for a while and have never seen something that would make me feel physically stronger than a UK basketball player. This isn’t a question of basketball skill. It’s a question of strength, and my only point was that I found the news to be inspirational. Also, it’s spelled “weight” not “wieght.” You can remember it with a little poem “I before E except after C unless it sounds like an A like in neighbor and weigh.” #schoolboymistakes

10. k2da
    10:50 pm July 2, 2013 Permalink

I see why our players are One and done…..we. follow them 3 yrs before they get yo school!

11. Mack
    12:53 am July 3, 2013 Permalink

Hire these guys to work out Wiltjer during his red shirt year.

12. twnky