Kansas’ Kevin Young is not impressed by Anthony Davis

I love me some good bulletin board material.

On the heels of Thomas Robinson saying that Anthony Davis “isn’t Superman,” Kansas reserve forward Kevin Young went even further, telling reporters Davis doesn’t impress him much:

He’s got a nice little highlight reel out there, I guess, but it doesn’t really impress me that much,” Young said. “I’d say that for any opponent. I think we have just as many highlight reels in here as they do or any other team in the country.”

#AnthonyDavisSaysShutUp

73 Comments for Kansas’ Kevin Young is not impressed by Anthony Davis

1. kyle heavy
    12:01 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Darius Miller is now tied with Wayne Turner for the most NCAA games played with 151.

2. KY99
    12:02 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

He will get to see our “One Shining Moment” highlight reel very soon! Thanks for playing Kevin

3. UKFanInCincy
    12:02 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Are you kidding me?? This guy has been smoking something good down on Bourbon street.

4. Yikes
    12:02 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I hope this kid gets put on Davis highlight reel

5. Chicago Chris
    12:04 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I actually like Young’s play at Kansas but the thing with Davis, complement him or taunt him, IT HAS NO EFFECT!

6. crazycatfan
    12:04 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

WHAAAAT???? Who are these guys and have they been living underground???

7. bmac
    12:04 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m about to sum this scenario up nicely by way of an honest question. Who is Kevin Young?

8. RICH
    12:05 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

What would you expect him to say….not bulletin board material. If he has said that AD was garbage etc….that’s bulletin board material. Plus, the Cats don’t care anyway. If you need bulletin board material to motivate you for this game, you will lose anyway. GO CATS

9. Don
    12:08 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Let ’em talk…We’ll talk on the court.

10. MammaKin
    12:08 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

LOL,…’I Guess’….LOL

Stupid Kid is all he is…

..Don’t give the other team more reason…

UK 102
    KU 78

AD: Pts – 28 Reb – 13 Bcks – 11

11. NBA league pass
    12:09 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I think he is trying to say KU isn’t in “awe” of our team. I’m ok with that. Like 8 said, who needs bulletin board material for the championship game? Not Anthony Davis I imagine.

12. Han
    12:09 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

He’s just boasting for the sake of their team mentality. If they go in thinking Ant Davis is the best player in the county, they won’t shoot against him. I think we can all agree we hope he shoots against him.

13. hooch
    12:09 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

If our guys were saying similar things about the other team (they wouldn’t, but if they did), we’d be lauding them for not being scared, etc. This is nothing. What do you expect him to say?

14. Guest
    12:10 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Colin Cowherd just ripped a caller that criticized the talking heads for picking Kentucky. The caller said anyone could pick Kentucky and that doing so was not bold. Part of Cowherd’s response: Bold isn’t playing tonight, Kentucky is.

15. Dominion
    12:13 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

…is that a baby fro’?

16. GoCats2
    12:14 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

THe highlight reels for Kansas all involve Thomas Robinson teabagging someone. Can someone put a Youtube clip of all the Kevin Young highlights that are out there?

17. John Ellis
    12:15 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think Young has a highlight reel, but he did get some pixel, didn’t he?

18. Gilchrist on D
    12:15 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Jared Swopeshire in a Kansas jersey is about to be on the business end of one of Davis’ nice little highlights tonight.

19. coal miner
    12:16 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

AD is about to shit on the Jayhawks.

20. UK
    12:17 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Who is Kevin Young?

21. BigBlueCats
    12:19 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I love it. Once again the opponents players are talking ‘crap’ if u want to call it that and UK players are probably laying back chilling right now. Some talking heads are saying this will be close but I think it will be a game where UK goes on a 20-5 run similar to the Baylor game. All u need to know about Young is he is a crybaby. I watched quite a bit of their game saturday and he whined about every call and was still crying on the bench. Once again it will take the Cats having the worst game they have had all year for them to lose. The best part is that UK doesnt rely on the 3 like Oh. St. did and it cost them. This team will play their hearts out and leave everything on the floor because for most of the UK players it will be the last game of their college career. Plus KU doesnt have MKG. His final game in H.S. was a loss in the state title game and I believe he will do enough to will this team to a win by his self if needed

22. bluefan
    12:26 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m betting he’ll be impressed by midnight!
    Go CATS!!!
    One more.

23. stevie
    12:27 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

It has a lot to do with class. If one of our players made a comment about KU’s players I would hope that it would be positive, and I would not like it if it were negative. There is no dishonor in giving compliments.

24. bluebloodtoo
    12:28 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Ok, Thanks Kevin. I’m sure you know way more about college basketball than all those retired coaches that voted for the awards that AD got this year. I don’t know why you are even playing college ball. You should be sitting on the all the panels that vote for those awards.

25. Holmes Hall Alumni
    12:29 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Someone please tell the lead singer of Digital Underground to STFU. I think I heard this kid is from Chicago also – AD musta stole his girlfriend.

Davis > kev young

#8

#lafamilia

26. Laker Cat 18
    12:29 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

When this is all said and done, Anthony Davis will be remembered as one of the greatest players in not only UK history, but one of the best players in NCAA college basketball history. Kevin Young will be remembered as pretty much what he’s known as right now. And by that, I mean I have no idea who Kevin Young is. Kansas is defined by Taylor and Robinson. No one knows anybody else on that team.

27. RD
    12:30 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Yeah UL players weren’t that impressed either until AD laid the smack down on them. Kevin what would you like for your consolation prize? An autographed AD poster perhaps…..?

28. Jayinthemiddle
    12:31 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

SEVEN!!! blocked shots…6 for 8 shooting…14 points…6 rebounds

Anthony Davis stats from the first beatdown of Kansas.

That came in only the SECOND time Davis had every played in a college basketball game.

29. Derp!
    12:31 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Baylor said the same thing. Anyone else catch the first half of THAT game where Baylor looked starstruck? Oh yeah, Kansas will be impressed tonight.

30. catsfan90
    12:33 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Dead serious, I’ve never heard of Kevin Young…

31. cristoforouk
    12:40 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

One thing to remember is that KU probably feels like Robinson deserved some of the POY awards. Has less to do about Anthony Davis and more to do with them standing up for Robinson.

32. Real Cats Fan
    12:42 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I doubt if it will affect our guys one way or another, even if they hear about it. They might get a chuckle out of it, but they will not change the way the play because of anything the other team says. They are focused on one thing and one thing only: bringing home #8!

33. Jayinthemiddle
    12:43 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Kevin Young statline from the first game: 2 minutes played (WOW), 0 for 1 shooting, 2 rebounds (a machine), 0 assist, 0 blocks, 0 steals.

I can see how he would be so unimpressed with someone like Anthony Davis.

34. Mike
    12:43 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Hopefully Young and the rest of his goons will get heavily Browsed.

35. Michael Kidd-Langford
    12:44 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Somebody tell this kid the Nappyboy haircut is SO November 2011.

36. Seriously...
    12:45 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

How could you NOT know who Kevin Young is? He’s averaging 3.2ppg during the Jayhawks’ tourney run. Not to mention, he scored a total of 2 points between the North Carolina and Ohio State Game. He’s deceptively ineffective. You’d look at him and think he may be a factor, but that’s where the trickery lies…he actually does nothing.

37. Blue_Cat75
    12:45 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Davis will tell Young that he is in denial while giving him a denial.

38. Jayinthemiddle
    12:46 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

That’s a rebound a minute. He’d have like 40 if he played a full game.

= sarcism

39. Maxbps8
    12:47 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Perfect! Precisely where and how we want them: clueless. Just like Baylor coming in with as much talent and athleticism as any team in the nation. And what happen(s)ed? KentuckY shined! This is NOT going to be an easy game by any stretch nor are any fans or players thinking it will be. I would, though, LOVE to see KentuckY come out of a tied 2nd half and play THEIR BEST game yet. And make it a no-doubter: not even if DStrickland & KMarshall OR Fab Melo or anyone else would have played…at at their best…would not….WILL NOT matter. GO KATS!

40. mgcat
    12:47 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Hmmm – sounds like the same kinda smack Chris Smith was spouting on the Friday before the UK – UL matchup. And we KNOW how THAT worked out, now don’t we?

41. Jayinthemiddle
    12:48 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

How did this guy Kevin Young not get some POY love?

42. KDSMITH
    12:49 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

KU is playing the disrespect card here. I would almost bet that Self has been playing this up to them since Saturday night. The David vs. Goliath match up to try and motivate his players. It’s bad enough that they let a 15-3 lead slip on us in Madison Square Garden and were down by as much as 17pts but now you have AD winning all the POY awards that were once thought to be Thomas Robinson’s hands down. If the CATS come in a take care of business on the defensive end like they’ve done all season from tip off I don’t think it will matter but if they come into the title game bewildered by the stage then we may be in for a long night. I don’t think it will happen and will be devastated if it does. CATS by double digits. GO BIG BLUE!!!

43. Maxbps8
    12:52 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

#36…He rebounds, mostly his own shots, but he can rebound and put the ball back up against the back-board and go and get another rebound. (On one possession against tOSU, i swear he had four-offensive-rebounds and KU STILL did not score. That ain’t gonna happen against these Kats in this game.)

44. Wildcat Josh
    12:52 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Good afternoon. Good afternoon. In less than nine hours, Wildcat fans from here will join others from around the nation, and you will be launching the largest battle in the history of college basketball. Basketball, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it’s fate that today is 8pril, and you will once again be fighting for our prestige. Not from randomness, hate, or doubt, but from jealousy. We’re fighting for our right to be supreme, to be the paramount, and should we win the day, 8pril will no longer be known as an Kentucky holiday, but as the day when the Big Blue Nation declared in one voice, ‘We will not go quietly into the lights! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to press on, we’re going to endure.’ Today we celebrate our NUMBER 8! – Josh

45. Kyle Almek
    12:53 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

40 – EXACTLY. “It’s cake.”

46. 140.6
    12:54 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Hopefully when Mr. Young goes pro in something other than sports it’s not a career that requires evaluating data and making decisions based on on objective information!

47. Reader
    12:56 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m really kinda interested in what the context of this quote was. Specifically, I wonder if he was asked “have you seen some of the plays on the highlight reels?” Or “how do you combat their highlight reel style of play?” Something where the question involved the phrase highlight reel. It’s just a really odd quote if it was unprompted. But like others said, what do you expect him to say? Of course they think they can win. That’s what gonna make the beat down so much more fun to watch.

48. BBN
    12:57 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

AD has more hair on his brow then Young has on his chest. #AnthonyDavisSaysManUp

49. Mudcreekmark
    12:57 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I guess we should be impressed by Kevin Young. He with his 3.6 ppg 2.7 rpg and .6 assists per game.I’m sure Kansas does have a nice highlight reel but I doubt that Kevin Young would be on it very many times.

50. Bulldawg
    12:59 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I know of Tyshawn Taylor, Thomas Robinson, Jeff Withey. I know Kansas’ best players. Who is Kevin Young? Does he play for Kansas this year?

51. PassionoftheGilchrist
    1:02 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

That looks a tad like Cheryl Miller…..she could ball

52. Kevin Young
    1:06 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I may only average 3.2 a game, but my GPA is 2.1.

53. Josh
    1:06 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Who’s Kevin Young?

54. Ciggy
    1:08 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Pay no attention to what is said before the game. Speak on the court. AD has been doing that ALL year long.

55. Nick Sabantooth
    1:08 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

The team that talks the most trash usually loses. Kuck Fansas

56. Al's IndiCats
    1:12 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

…..My guess is when Young leaves the KU campus, Enterprise Rent a car will give him a job. After all, most of them played sports. GO CATS!!!!!!!!

57. REAL BLY
    1:14 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

We already beat this cake team!!!!! NEXT TOPIC!!!!

58. Cody Zeller
    1:26 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Everyone knows I should have been POY.

59. jaws2
    1:26 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

He starts for Kansas; says enough about tonight for me. Cats by at least 14. Let the fun begin!!!

60. V
    1:35 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I guess Self really want his players to say some very outrageous things to get into our our freshman’s heads but these kids are not going to buy it. I think UK will play our game and bring home #8 tonight.

61. JWH
    1:39 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Hey Mr Young… You are no Jimmy Chitwood!

62. TrueBlue
    1:45 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Kevin will get posterized tonight by Davis, and that memory will stay with him forever.

63. Kwildcat
    2:02 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

wow we’re impressed with this bencher……..Cat’s please put it all together tonite in a laugher…..I wanna see Polson rain threes !!!!!!!!!

64. Wildcaton3
    2:13 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

The scoop from the Kansas side. Sources tell us that Kansas will use Taylor to trash talk and try to get in A.D’s head. Double team AD and create chaos.
    Good luck with that one!

65. KnightIsFruity
    2:51 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Taylor better be happy getting his free t-shirt.

66. nomsayin?
    2:58 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

@ #24

Allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there.

67. bigblue4
    3:03 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

“Who the f*#k is Kevin Young?” – AD while eating breakfast.

68. Brian Long
    3:09 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m just not all that impressed with this Kevin Young dude

69. Laughter Ensues
    3:14 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry…who is Kevin Young?

70. Stan
    3:24 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

Wow, Kevin Young……….who the hell is that????????????? Any kin to Steve Young, the old quaterback with the niners?????? Kevin Young,………who the hell is he?????????

71. josh
    6:08 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

never hear of this guy

72. Blueswade
    7:26 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

66 funny stuff…I see what yore doing there.

73. catfan38
    7:44 pm April 2, 2012 Permalink

You don’t have to be impressed when you ride the bench!!! Go Cats!!!