K-Wiltj and Team Canada Take Down the Red, White, and Blue

Kyle celebrates with his teammates after the big win in China.

Kyle celebrates with his teammates after the big win in China.

Kyle celebrates with his teammates after the big win in China.

Kyle Wiltjer is living it up in China. His Canadian Junior Men’s National team just stole a surprise 2 point victory from Team USA. Despite my love for our great nation, my allegiance lies with the best of the best, the Big Blue Nation.

Congrats Kyle, keep on shufflin’.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

22 Comments for K-Wiltj and Team Canada Take Down the Red, White, and Blue

1. Larry Clapper
    12:05 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Since when is Wilcher a forener

2. me
    12:10 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Would it be too much to ask for his stat line?

3. Cat In The ATL
    12:12 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

1. Do you mean Wiltjer? Do you mean foreigner? He’s not, but why does that matter? His parents are from Canada.

4. pfife
    12:13 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, uh, I root for the US in every sport. Even if the 7th player off the UK bench is canadian.

5. 1% of the Fans
    12:25 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Why isn’t KW with the other UK players this summer? I understand he will only get 5-8 minutes per game this season, but he should be in Lexington with the other player working out with Cal. Is this too much to ask?

6. cousin it
    12:26 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Guess he finally found his niche…

7. UK
    12:28 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

This US team isn’t officially a USA basketball team. It’s something called the netscouts USA all star team. Call me when Canada can beat the real team USA.

8. Beavis606
    1:07 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Who is on this USA team? Why knock Wiltjer? He could make their Olympic team. Good for him and I’m usually a dick

9. Cal
    1:17 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

#5, as I recall, Coach Cal encouraged him to go when the opportunity arose. He will be a Junior, He doesn’t exactly need to learn his way around campus or get used to taking a few classes in summer school. The supervised time during the summer (when coaches can be present) is, I believe, only 2 hours/week during the summer. So it is to Kyle’s benefit to get in many hours of practice and competition against experienced players as possible, vs playing video games in a dorm.

10. linebeard
    1:38 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Where are the details???? Who played team USA? Stats? Anything else other than a picture?

11. I shoot 4s
    2:03 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Team “USA” roster:
    Net Scouts’ participation in the Four Nations Tournament is the result of its International Recruiting Service for collegiate and international U20 players. Included on this Team USA roster are PG Derek Needham (Fairfield University); G Oliver McNally, G/F Devin Sweetney, C Isaac Butts (Moncton Miracles); PG Derrick Rodgers (University of Portland); G Mike Moore (Hofstra); G/F Robert Crawford (University of Central Arkansas); F/G Roger Franklin 6’5; F/G (University of North Texas); F Jonathan Morse (Metro State); C Mike Davis (Atlético Cordón) and C Jason Conrad (Chico State University).

12. bigbluetrue
    2:49 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Team USA’s best players are spending the summer in Lexington getting ready to win a National Championship!

13. STATS
    3:00 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Stats???

14. Mr. E
    3:15 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t see a boxscore but sounds like wiltjer had a great game:

The DMNT continued to play well in the third quarter and pushed the lead to 58-48 with strong play at both ends of the court. Team USA showed character and resolve in making a late run to challenge the Canadians and knotted the game at 73 to set the stage for some late-gamer heroics from the Red and White. With 0.05 seconds left in the game, a determined Kyle Wiltjer was fouled and sent to the line. He calmly made both free throws to earn Canada the win.

Wiltjer led the Canadians with 17 points, including a perfect 5-for-5 performance from the line. Powell finished the game with 16 point and added four rebounds. When asked about playing their North American rivals, Wiltjer said, “it was a great team effort tonight. For me, it is always fun to play against the USA since I live there. The guards did a good job of making good passes down the stretch and finding me when I was open. We got some good calls down the stretch which also helped.”

He believes the Canadians put together a strong effort, but sees the opportunity for growth. “The good thing about this game is that we are getting better, but there is still room for improvement.”

15. stats
    3:29 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

16. thenamerobdigity
    3:29 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Alliance with Kyle Wiltjer over America…? Check your priorities

17. stats
    3:30 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

18. dahshiki
    3:56 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

I thought Wiltjer was an american?

19. stats
    3:59 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

He has dual citizenship in the US and Canada.

20. W.W.B.B.N.D?
    7:59 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

#14 Thanks for the update. I hope Kyle uses this as a growing experience.

21. ok-cats-computer
    11:58 pm June 9, 2013 Permalink

Good for Kyle. I’m glad he is getting to travel and have some fun while working on his game.

22. bart edwards
    12:52 am June 10, 2013 Permalink

(A) I fully agree with those who say America before any college or player.
    (B) Kyle is an American citizen as well, but knows he will never make the US Olympic Team, so…
    (C) Cal encouraged Kyle to play on the Canadian team for high level, real world game situations.
    (D) I will root for Kyle to have a perfect game every game, and lose to the US by one point each time.

I love that it was Wiltjer on the line to ice two free throws to give his team the win.