Just when you thought the NCAA couldn’t get any dumber…

10985-amrita-arora-washing-the-car.jpg

…they go and fine a golfer for washing her car with the university’s water and hose. Seriously.

Portland basketball coach Eric Reveno tweeted about the violation yesterday, which he heard during a conference meeting. An unidentified West Coast Conference school had to self report an extra benefits violation to the NCAA when a university official caught one of their women’s golfers washing her car on campus. The NCAA ruled it a secondary violation because technically, the water and hose weren’t available to regular students, and the girl was forced to pay the school $20, or the estimated value of the water and the hose.

Keep on keeping on, Emmert.

34 Comments for Just when you thought the NCAA couldn’t get any dumber…

1. Bigger fish to fry
    11:24 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

….makes sense to me!

2. Reddit
    11:26 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

I kind of agree with him on this. Why should athletes get free stuff?

3. Kentuckyhome99
    11:27 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

Wow they know no bounds!!!!!! What a bunch of wankers!!!

4. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    11:27 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

Just when you think the NCAA can’t get anymore ridiculous…

5. nookinpanub
    11:28 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

NCAA, smarter by the day. police state, to the extreme .

6. NCAA is ridiculous
    11:29 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

The NCAA is a joke, they don’t care about the student-athlete, all they care about is the $$$ and their rules only apply to certain colleges. They have their own agenda against programs such as UK, KU, ect. but let the likes of Duke and UNC get off free. The NCAA is about as corrupt as the government, which is what they are a governing body of people. The NCAA should be forced to rewrite the rule book or else every college, like Cal said, should split apart from them and form their own governing body. Of which should include Jay Bilas as the president.

7. uk3k_J
    11:29 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

They also cited her for drinking too long at the water fountain. The NCAA’s days are numbered if they keep this up.

8. karensypher
    11:34 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

Why was Lousiville not given a secondary violation when I used the Coaches hose to wash his leg?

9. NotSandyBell
    11:35 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

5-the water fountain was available to ALL students. How hard is it to understand this rule?

10. daniel
    11:38 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

I would take the hose with me!

11. If-It-Was-Me
    11:38 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

I would have made darn sure that I took that water hose home, spray nozzle and all, after having to pay for it.

12. tltaworl
    11:38 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

I agree too. If this was not available to everybody why did she get access?

13. FlamboOzaldid
    11:39 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

A mockery of the sole governing body over all athletics. The authoritarian needs to change.

14. Han
    11:44 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

Meanwhile, Duke student-athletes wearing tons of bling, and UNC athletes have degrees in AFAM without even knowing where Africa is.

15. Self Report!
    11:47 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

More importantly who is the dumb ass who reported it to NCAA?

16. kadizkat
    11:54 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

If she (above) was the student, I’d gladly pay the $20 and more.

17. Michael F. Jox
    11:57 am May 30, 2013 Permalink

“…had to self report an extra benefits violation to the NCAA when a university official caught one of their women’s golfers washing her car on campus.”

This clearly had to be a female official. No man that stumbled upon a female college athlete washing her car on campus would do anything but be pleasantly surprised.

18. mirv
    12:01 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

Out of curiosity because I genuinely don’t know, who is Emmert s boss or who is he accountable to.? I think that is the key to whether change happens sooner or later. Seems if enough fans wrote well thought out complaints to Emmert s superiors that it could have an impact.

19. Jeremy R
    12:03 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

Wow, bust a kid at a WCC school for washing a car, but over 100 athletes take a fake course at UNC or get a line of credit at a New York Jeweler when you play for Duke and the NCAA doesn’t blink an eye?!? Rules are rules until it happens to an NCAA darling, huh.

20. Emmert
    12:05 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

$20 for hose rental and water to wash a car seems a bit high. I think the NCAA needs an internal review of this matter.

21. CatGrad7072
    12:11 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

What #19 said.
    Since the NCAA was OK with the fake classes at UNC as well as the 60k credit line at Duke, it stands to reason that these perks were available to all students at both schools. QED.

22. Sports Motto
    12:36 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

You could call the NCAA a joke, except their silliness just isn’t funny.

23. J in Orlando
    12:43 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

The NCAA has a lot of car wash investigating to do, leaving them little time to investigate little trangressions by Roy Williams, Duke players, Clint Hurtt, etc.

24. J in Orlando
    12:44 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

15 My guess would be Richard Pitino

25. tom
    12:49 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

What is wrong with this enforcement??? Athletes should not be given special privilages not available to regular students. I think you folks at KSR are ready to leap at anything.

Mrs. TT…please explain:

1) why this is news
    and
    2) why you feel this was unjustified by the NCAA

I’m interested in your view.

26. jhnny
    12:54 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

This post doesn’t seem right without a picture of the girl from Cool Hank Luke washing her car…

27. Mack
    1:16 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

Just like drugs it starts with a gateway car wash, first she washing her car next her boy friends car and on and on ……. one thing leads to the next and before you know it you have a College car wash.

28. CatSinceBirth
    1:40 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

It’s probably available to others also, but they’re to lazy to wash their car. Mom and dad will pay for their car washes. The way I see it, the hose belongs to the young lady, no questions asked. How in the world Emmert is able to hold his job is beyond me. Just the negativity along is enough to send him to the wood shed.

29. jpcatman
    1:43 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

25…REALLY!!!!! your a tight ass man go away

30. bung
    1:46 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

I aint sure…this hose faucet thing isnt available to non athletic students and the athletic students cant use it…so…

31. tom
    2:12 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

29. hey jp. don’t understand your objection. pls explain if you have the time. thx

32. GUYS LISTEN UP
    2:35 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

I’m gonna break it down for the people having a hard time understanding why this is frustrating. You have a “governing body” that is supposed to enforce set rules. Which I will agree was done here, but where it is a joke is because the NCAA will go after a woman’s golfer for using prob $3.00 worth of water but excuse ACADEMIC FRAUD or how a college kid from NC with no job got $30,000 line of credit in NY .. How about denying a kid a college education at a particular school because he played overseas but will allow another kid with the same situation to play at another school. Did she break a rule… Yes but until the NCAA grows a pair and decided to run things equally this will be a headline used to point out the stupid bull$hit they are willing to go after. That’s why TT posted it so we can marvel at mark’s absolute stupidly and prejudice.

33. Chicago Chris
    3:12 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

You can’t compare a cut-and-dry (very) minor issue with the complications of academic fraud. I’m sure there are plenty of low-level NCAA officers that award these penalties that would have little to do with the big, broad cases. I’m reminded of my mother’s argument to me when I was a teenager, “How can I trust you to drive a car when you can’t even put your clothes in the hamper.”

34. tom
    4:31 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

32. Hi Guys. Of course, I understand the points you illustrated so well. My feeling is that the small rules need to be enforced as well as the big ones…as you also say. And i agree, there appear to be inequties at times in regard to the ‘pick and choose’ mindset of some NCAA investigators. To my mind as well are the sizable number of archaic rules maintained in Indianpolis by the NCAA. Until that organization decides to enter the 21st century, their days will be numbered.