Just in case you needed reminding, Matt Elam is a beast

elam

John Hardin giant Matt Elam has a highlight reel that will make you wince and scream for mom. Well, not really, but you’ll be really impressed. Click on the pic to check it out:

Screen shot 2013-05-30 at 12.33.12 PM

Elam recently said that it’s a “three horse race” between Kentucky, Alabama, and Louisville for his services. He’s at the top of UK’s wish list, and Drew Barker has been recruiting him endlessly on Twitter. He’s the 24th best defensive tackle in the nation (or according to Nick Saban, the first, along with OJ Smith).

23 Comments for Just in case you needed reminding, Matt Elam is a beast

1. Real News
    4:35 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

RIP to Officer Jason Ellis. Hope your killer is found and dealt with accordingly. Go Cats

2. PhilUK18
    4:37 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

My best wishes go out to Officer Ellis as well, but why the hell would you possibly bring that up on here? Thanks for the irrelevant post of the day, I guess

3. OUCH!
    4:50 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

Wow! This kid IS a beast! Hope we can get him! Keep working on it Drew!

4. yeah
    4:53 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

So.. Im a huge UK football fan. And I really wanted Matt Elam to come to UK. Until watching this video. I have never ever seen a kid play defensive tackle so poorly. He stands straight up out of his stance, if you even want to call it a stance, and just overpowers the much weaker and smaller competition the state of Kentucky offers. If this kid stood straight up like that and didn’t get low with a real offensive tackle, the kid would absolutely get owned. It may be just coaching, and not the kids fault at all. But for Christ’s sake, look at the way he comes off the ball. Stands straight up. And if you’ve ever played offensive or defensive line, that is the first thing they teach you not to do. I didn’t see once in that video any good technique or moves, just someone physically more imposing than Kentucky highschools have to offer. Regardless a good coaching staff can fix these problems. Because Elam certainly has the body of an SEC lineman, just not the skills or technique.

5. jason
    4:58 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

man he has HUGE “HOG TITS”!

6. Woods
    4:59 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

First of all let me start off by saying Mr. Elam is a beast and I really want him in a Kentucky jersey. Now that I have that out of the way I can focus on my disappointment in his ability to stay low through contact. I don’t know if it is because he is so much bigger than everyone else and just doesn’t need to get low, or if he has never been coached to stay low. But in the SEC he won’t be able to stand up offensive guards. With proper coaching and a couple of summers in the weight room the kid will be a total nightmare for other teams.

7. Woods
    5:01 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

@4 you beat me to it. I do however want to see him in a Kentucky jersey. Given time I think he could become one of the best defensive tackles in the country. He just needs some work.

8. Aja
    5:02 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

First move is straight up. Will have to change in SEC.

9. shelbycat
    5:13 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

yea #4 and #6 sabben doesn,t know anything about talent. Like how by watching a video of a few play’s you come up with that B.S.

10. kes
    5:21 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

9. who is “sabben”?

11. shelbycat
    5:26 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

my bad on the typo Nick Saban #10

12. shelbycat
    5:30 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

He is 6’6″ and 350 pounds someone that big can not get that low.

13. yeah
    5:47 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

12. Yes they can. You just obviously don’t know anything about lineman or probably football in general. I understand you want to stick up for the kid. But were not bashing him, were just pointing out the obvious. And it has nothing to do with talent, its about technique.

14. Listen!!!
    5:52 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

Id listen to 4 and 6… I bet they’re quite the chunkers themselves

15. shelbycat
    6:03 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

16. Can not wait
    6:03 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

I would much rather have an 18 year old with tremendous size or speed, than a defensive tackle with great technique who is 6’1″ 260 lbs. Yes you could move the talented, undersized player to DE or LB but as far as DT goes you have to take the god given size that can not be taught. He is very very raw but his size and strength is crucial to success in the sec. Of course size AND technique would be fantastic but those guys are going to Bama, ND, and USC (for now). He is raw at 18 years old but a very rare specimen who WILL be taught technique and he will someday require a double team that will allow Hendrix, walker, hatcher, pugh, ware, etc. to live in the backfield in 2015-2016. Can not wait!

17. shelbycat
    6:05 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

I played and coached not to many guys that big are capable of getting low especially as the game goes on it wears them out. You said that you didnt’t want him to come to UK after watching the video.

18. Mike
    6:28 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

I don’t like this guy’s ego. He’s big, but he’s also fat and NOT conditioned for the fast and agile SEC play. He looks more like a Big 10/Big 12 body. I bet he announces his commitment from the local Cici’s Pizza after 2 hours and 25 slices.

19. Eddie who
    7:19 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

Damn people, do you expect him to be NFL ready from day one? It’s football not basketball more then likely if he comes to UK he will play little as a freshman or red shirt. Very few kids come right in and play at a high level. After a year of coaching and weight training he could be special. The coaches will have him low and in shape by then. You can’t teach 6’5 and 350 you can teach him how to play.
    That said my guess is if Saban wants him he will go to Bama. I know I would if I was in his shoes.

20. SevenT
    8:50 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

No way Stoops lets Nick Satin steal a Kentucky Kid.

21. peb
    8:56 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

I have to agree a little with the folks saying his technique is poor. He is however vey athletic for his size and seems to have a great motor for a player his size (granted we are not seeing plays in succession). I watched his tape against Boyle and his technique looked much better than the long highlight tape. He had a nice play around the 2:33 mark where he got a pull and down block, he shed the blocker, then made a stop in the backfield. I will be curious to see his immediate impact regardless of where he goes. Our state doesn’t see prospects like him very often.

22. Woods
    9:11 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

I wasn’t trying to bash the kid. You can’t teach size like his, but you can teach technique. He is just going to take some time to learn the position from some great coaches. I was only pointing out the fact that he has a lot if learning to do. I am very excited about the future of Kentucky football and would be more than thrilled if Mr. Elam was a part of it.

23. jK
    9:26 pm May 30, 2013 Permalink

ZERO muscle. All flab…. ANY college he goes to, he better hit the weight room vs CiCi’s Pizza!!