Just how open UofL’s receivers were on Sunday

Still pulling your hair out about Kentucky’s (lack of a) secondary on Sunday? Well, this probably won’t help. Rival’s Aaron Smith has put together this excellent slideshow of screenshots that shows you just how open UofL’s receivers were on Sunday, and it ain’t pretty. Here are a few of the more upsetting slides:

I hope Rick Minter and secondary coach Mike Cassity are showing this to the team right now. Like, as we speak.

[UK secondary coverage of Louisville receivers]

26 Comments for Just how open UofL’s receivers were on Sunday

1. hooter
    10:55 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

You would think that th “great minter” would have made some adjustments at half time. The players can not take all the blame for this. I think most of the blame needs to go to Minter. He might be a little to stubborn to make changes that go against what he likes to do. Sound like someone we once new?? cough cough, Billy Clyde!!

2. asdf
    11:04 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

The reason they were so open is that our secondary was slow to adjust to the play. They were unsure what Louisville was doing and they laid back out of caution. That tells me they were unable to anticipate the WR. That’s a universal sign of inexperience. There’s no cure for that except playing your way out of it.

3. Minter
    11:04 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

I have no clue what I am doing. I couldn’t stop anyone with Danny T and Winston Guy, without them, we are hopeless.

4. Derek
    11:05 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Anyon want to complain about Steve Brown now?

5. coke
    11:06 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

When was the last time Joker made an adjustment during a game? Face it people, we have a coach that isn’t too quick. UK football is damn’d till there is a change.

(I’m looking at you, Board of Directors – please step in before the program hits Curry status.)

6. jaws2
    11:10 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

” please step in before the program hits Curry status ” Coke, dude you must be on it if you don’t think we’re there yet!

7. James K
    11:16 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Minter can’t adjust his roster at halftime.

8. Louisville Kentucky Mortgage
    11:20 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Our defense is really bad. Can’t see how we are going to stop anyone

9. Jamal Meeks
    11:23 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Completion 15 is absolutely ridiculous. Our guys clearly had no idea what they were doing out there. Might has well have recruited 11 random guys to walk on and play defense. Would have at least saved some scholarships.

10. MattD
    11:23 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky does not have the personnel to be competitive, especially on the Defensive side of the ball. However, Kentucky had two players last year who are starting in the NFL this season. Thats right, they didn’t just make an NFL, they are playing, as rookies. Somehow, even with two studs last year, our Defense was relatively terrible. Maybe its simply that we don’t have enough athleticism and size up front (which we don’t), but it sure seems like our guys are incapable of not sucking. Let’s be honest though, every year there will be good teams and bad teams, and Kentucky just isn’t that good. Only 4 things go into whether or not your team is good: player ability, coaching, effort, and execution. It could be as simple as our players lack the ability to be good. Still, if Boise St. could be a top 20 team for three straight years with bad recruiting classes, then its obvious that coaching, effort, and execution can take a team like UK and make them not stink so bad. I guess this rambling is my way of saying I don’t know who to blame. Would firing Joker help? Maybe, but unless we get a great coach we’re going to suck. Even if we get a great coach, we’re probably no better than a fring 30-20 ranked team. Perhaps we should all just donate money to Kentucky for better facilities then we might be able to get some talent.

11. Bus
    11:25 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Lack of secondary, lack of front line, etc etc.

Louisville had several run plays where it looked like it was a no-hit practice drill. Not that this is a big shock when it comes to defense and UK football, but I digress.

12. Babyblue
    11:27 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Is Cassity the same Cassity that did such a good job at UofL back when Kragthorpe was killing that program? If yes, then the defense has no hope.

13. Bob Loblaw
    11:28 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Typical UK football defense, let them catch it and then try to tackle them.

14. Completion 16
    11:35 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Wow, take a look at completion 16. There isn’t one UK player within 10 yards of the receiver when he catches the ball.

15. Coach Minter
    12:02 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

My biggest proble is that I feel I can play straight-up defense against a superiorly athletic team. My stuburness and fear of the big play is what prevents me from taking chances. If I could somehow find the balls to blitz more than one guy at a time and play man coverage, I would give up a few big plays but I would create a few as well for the defense. I have not figured out that both a 99 yd. drive in one play, or a 99 yd. drive in ten plays equals 7 points (or 8 if other coach smells the fear). If I could learn that the UK defense is not athletic enough to go noses to nose with many D1 schools, I might take a few big chances and hope for a turnover or big sack. My “bend don’t break” attitude needs to change to “bet big, win big”. Now I will go work on a new zone defense with lots of holes.

16. Unpopular Truth
    12:12 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

A lot of those receivers look wide open, but it is deceiving b/c if you go back and look at the play in real time, you will see that Bridgewater made a lot of those passes thowing across his body or at weird angles. A lot of those passes were just freakishly good throws by Teddy Bridgewater.

17. Beavis
    12:19 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

What???? I don’t know,,,,they look pretty wide open to me regardless of where Bridgewater is throwing the ball from.

18. Coach Minter
    12:29 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I haven’t learned that if you give a D1 quarterback all day he will make a great throw.

19. UK td
    12:36 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Just how open were UKs receivers on the touchdown plays Mary? Here is one of them. Anyone have a picture of LaRod with no Louisville player in sight? http://news.yahoo.com/photos/kentucky-tight-end-tyler-robinson-makes-pass-reception-photo-225105744–spt.html

20. paducahfan
    12:53 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

How do the coaches respond? Do they say “We don’t have the athletes.” (We can’t recruit against even U of L) or “We can compete physically against them.” (We can’t coach). Don’t expect either response. We’ll just see more of the same. If you can’t get ready for a 2 point conversion, that’s bad coaching in my opinion.

21. Teddy Bridgewater
    3:27 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

So much for Louisville hate day, it was cute. while the UK players spent their time jawing (even the punter, Lol) we were practicing how to play football, thanks for the governors cup, you’ll never see it again!

22. Cats 97
    3:41 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I think it’s pretty obvious that Joker is in above his head on running a major program. It is extremely difficult to be optimistic at this point about the future of UK football with him as the coach.

23. Steve Back
    3:45 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

You CLOWNS are digging up sour bones !!!
    32-14 Yew Kay LOST, and will continue to LOSE,because your team are LOSERS!!

24. BigBlue
    4:27 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

This shows that the secondary is at best reacting and at worst guessing as each play unfolds…those guys are lost out there.

25. bluesman
    6:38 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

yes uk can recruit against ul but not against hurtt.

26. Shendo
    10:42 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Also noticed not a single screen pass in the bunch.