Julius Randle would easily be next year’s top pick, if not for Wiggins

Randle_Julius279

Chad Ford should be on vacation today, but he’s not. The ESPN draft analyst is already looking ahead to next year’s NBA draft. In his Top prospects, storylines for the 2014 draft, Ford called Kentucky’s Julius Randle the best prospect behind Andrew Wiggins. “In a normal, non-Wiggins year, he would easily be the No. 1 pick,” one NBA scout told Ford.

According to Ford, several NBA scouts and GMs believe 2014 could be the strongest class ever, and all of them agree Wiggins highlights the class. Randle is the top non-Wiggins prospect, ahead of Marcus Smart, Jabari Parker and fellow Wildcat Andrew Harrison. Ford lists Dakari Johnson, James Young and Aaron Harrison as other potential one-and-done first rounders.

But before we start sending these guys off to the lottery, let’s enjoy the 2013-14 college basketball season first.

It’s going to be a memorable one.

126 days ’til the first exhibition game…

Article written by Drew Franklin

41 Comments for Julius Randle would easily be next year’s top pick, if not for Wiggins

1. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    2:51 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Why is Wiggins this untouchable star? If he comes out of the gate scoring 10 points a game and a couple rebounds a game, and Julious is going all LeBron on everybody, could this change?

2. Wedding Planner
    2:51 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I still can’t believe we lost Wiggins. Really hurts

3. Duuuuuude
    2:53 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Don’t forget Aaron Gordon.

4. Ridge Runner
    2:55 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Wiggy is the favorite but don’t count our horses and namely Randle out this early.
    😉

5. Meh
    2:56 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I agree with #1; wiggins has a really high bar set for himself and I kinda doubt heaves up to it even though he is, no doubt, a very talented player.

6. She's A Caaawp!
    2:56 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Randle is going to destroy, DESTROY people next year…and because of him Poythress is going to be much improved. There is a lot of promise for the hardwood Cats this year!

7. Meh
    2:56 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

*doubt he lives

8. Toothless Temp
    2:57 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Would you call him a rich man’s greg steimsma, a poor man’s greg steimsma, or greg steimsma?

9. Gramma
    2:58 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

If Wiltjer had left earlier, UK would have got Wiggins or Gordon.

10. PhilUK18
    3:00 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Everyone thought Shabazz was going number one at this point last year. My money is on Randle to wind up first anyway.

11. PhilUK18
    3:01 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I still wish we had gotten Wiggins too, but I look at it as his loss. He would have been the cherry on top of the sundae here and he knew that, there it’s not even debatable that he’s the man and I guess that’s what he values more. We’ll be fine without him, and I hope we meet up with KU in March or early April.

12. Yeap
    3:02 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Yeah and i am sure people said the same thing about Shabaaaaaaaaaaaaaaz

13. Wildcatsteeler
    3:06 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

On a less talented Kansas team everyone will focus Wiggins and double him and foul him. His sometimes complacent attitude is his only weakness and if he shies away from the contact or gets frustrated with the physical play he is going to receive he may well struggle for most of the season. Randle welcomes physicality and thrives in it. He may well end up the #1 pick.

14. yep
    3:21 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

10- I agree 100%. I think Wiggins will be double teamed constantly. He might have a few good games but he will be harassed the whole game and get frustrated then pout. Really glad that clown went somewhere else. Probably be another Archie Goodwin, a ball hogging turnover waiting to happen.

15. Catfanjb
    3:31 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Well if Cleveland has the #1 pick next year they’d probably blow it again. Surely Jordan would too.

16. Cokely
    3:45 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Wow a lot of you all sound butt hurt. Wiggins is going to be great and you all know it. Had he come here you would’ve called him the GOAT. His ceiling is so incredibly
    High. Ill be cheering for Randle to be better than him but I’m not gonna cry about it if he isn’t. Plus we will be fine either way. Like the guy above me said. He was just the cherry because the sundae has already been made and next season will be sweet.

17. DH
    3:48 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

14) All of a sudden the number one HS player in the country is a clown? Why? Because he didn’t pick UK? Asinine comments like that are the reason people think UK fans are idiots.

18. ukfastcat
    3:49 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Some good points here, as always.
    Wigglet is the new Shabazz and we just learned how that turned out. Spurn UK at your peril, young men.
    Also, remember that Randle missed most of his senior season with injury then came back to D O M I N A T E at the end of the season. He is a Cal player and will remind us of MKG, I believe.
    I’ll take our team just the way it is, thank you.
    Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine…

19. ukfastcat
    3:51 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

#17. Right on.
    The only clown is anyone doubting that Wiggins is a five star talent.
    He will be great but will not have the elite supporting cast he would have here.

20. jq
    3:52 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

The so-called “EXPERTS” are nothing more than EXPERT BULLSHIT ARTIST to believe Wiggins will be the #1 pick is a crock of shit. I would be willing to take any and all bets it is either Randle or Cauley-Stein, any takers?

21. yep
    3:56 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

17 & 19- guess u CLOWNS are know it all fags that dont have friends and probably live at home with ur mommy and work at walmart as the retarded door greeter!

22. MediaWatch
    4:11 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

As long as AW plays halfway up to his potential, he’ll end up “best of his class” at season’s end. If he shines, ESPN will rave on about his accomplishments in spite of playing on a young KU team.. If he struggles, ESPN the spin will be how unfair it is that his team mates weren’t better, more experienced, etc.
    Personally, I want Julius to be what we all think he will be and let things play out. What AW does is not the concern of this fan. I’m top busy cheering for the CATS.

23. Kevin C.
    4:13 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Really? Not even 24 hours after one of the craziest NBA drafts in history, and Chad Ford has the balls to say something so stupid publicly? The #1 pick will likely be based on need, and potential trade possibilities, just like this year. The way they do the Lottery drawing, it’s not even a given that the worst team will even get the #1 pick, so that’s another factor.

24. JQ
    4:19 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Sounds to me Chad Ford and Matt Jones are brothers, both full of shit.

25. DH
    4:34 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

21) Nice comeback! You really showed your superior class and intelligence.

26. Han
    4:37 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

All signs point to Wiggins being the best prospect in years, at least since Wall, if not Lebron. But while he wasn’t that highly-values, Shabazz was supposed to elevate UCLA back to elite status and go #1 or 2 in this draft. Issues with his father aside, we found out Shabazz wasn’t what everyone expected.

Wiggins will have to prove himself and his work ethic at Kansas. Randle will have to do the same at UK. Many players have been proclaimed the next _________, but most don’t get close to the hype.

27. St. Augustine Cat Fan
    4:39 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Why are we more concerned with who is going to be the next no. 1 draft pick than our next season? Go Big Blue, hope they all stay 4 years ( imagine that!), and what’s the NBA?

28. John
    4:41 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I’ll take Randle any day. And I said this before either one of them committed. Randle is a warrior!

29. DH
    4:48 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

For the record, if I had to choose between Wiggins and Randle, I would have NO problem choosing Randle. But to even suggest that Wiggins isn’t one of the best players coming out of high school since (insert name here) sounds like sour grapes. Who knows how he or Randle will do in college and ultimately the NBA, but any college team would love to have either one on their roster next season.

30. RahRah
    4:59 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I wish Wiggins all the best, no hard feelings. Still say we’ll see on that #1 pick in next year’s draft. My money is on Randle and was the day he committed to UK. Also betting Alex P and WCS are not too shabby with a top of the line point guard running the team. More than satisfied with our team.
    CATS 2014!

31. chris
    5:11 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

yes, but….I remember everyone saying Shabazz was the greatest NBA ready prospect since Kobe, and now they say he’s a lying one dimensional player who can’t dribble #KYeffect

32. yep
    5:37 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

25- DH? Stands for d!ck head. Who really cares what you think. I can give my opinion in any shape or form that I want. You must be a sissy Democrat and need everything politically correct. Bet you have never played sports.

33. DH
    5:46 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

32) Wow. Every single thing you’ve said about me has been false. Hiding something about yourself, maybe? You sound a little insecure and butt hurt. Keep crying, though. It’s entertaining.

34. yep
    5:54 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

33- Not hiding a damn thing. Everything I’ve said bout you is probably true. A sissy Democrat that lives at home with mommy and a virgin that reads every sports article and all of a sudden ur an expert.
    Played sports? No freaking way! Ur a nerd and it shows.

35. DH
    5:59 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

34) This really has been fun, but it’s pointless to argue with an uneducated moron. You keep working on those 3rd grade insults, though. I’m off work now and have better things to do. You’re an idiot and it shows.

36. yep
    6:03 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

35- Idiot? Yep an idiot for banging ur mom!! Or ur sister! Or whatever gave birth to u! Haaaaa ur gay

37. Not so Fast
    7:06 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

I’d take Jabari Parker first. More versatile, better handle and outside shot, higher basketball IQ

38. Duke sucks
    9:01 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Grow up people. Cal has said time and time agian UK isn’t for every one. Wiggins will be the first pick because he’s the best player since LeBron! To those who think he made the wrong choice picking Kansas get over yourself! Wiggins is good enough to dominate the ball and thats something he wasn’t going to be able to do at UK. Wiggins made the best choice for himself going to Kansas and to say Kansas has no other talented players really? Look at their incoming class. Our might be the best ever but they have a good one too.

39. Kaptain Kat!
    10:35 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

Julius Randle will be the #1 pick in 2014. Wiggens takes too many plays off. Randle is a big man with a bigger motor.

40. Duke sucks
    11:00 pm June 28, 2013 Permalink

39) I’m glad we got Randle and I think he will be better for KENTUCKY then Wiggins would have been. That said your smoking if you think he has any shot of being the #1 pick. Randle will be the better NCAA player but Wiggins is dream NBA player. Don’t forget Wiggins dominated Randle in a AAU game, and those games play more like NBA then NCAA.

41. whatever
    6:54 am June 29, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins? Im not sold on that kid. Never have been. Who decides how good this kid is? The sports media. My opinion is Wiggins wont dominate like EVERYONE thinks. Huge difference in college than high school where he’s playing against 5 foot white kids. Randle on the other hand is a beast! A body like a linebacker. Randle over Wiggins any day.