Julius Randle enjoyed his official visit to Kentucky

Coach Cal had over 100 guests at his house Friday evening but he rushed everyone out after dinner to clear the way for Julius Randle, the most important guest of the weekend. Randle ate dinner with the staff and team at the Calipari estate on Friday as part of his official visit to Kentucky. The five-star recruit attended the alumni game, UK football game (groan), and toured the campus on Saturday, ending the eventful day with a 2:00 am shootaround with Archie Goodwin and Julius Mays in the Craft Center. Randle and his mother ate breakfast with the team and watched practice on Sunday before heading back to Plano, Texas.

ESPN.com’s Paul Biancardi, a head coach in the fantasy camp, spoke with Julius Randle about his official visit once it concluded. Randle said his first thoughts about the weekend when leaving Lexington were how everyone around the UK basketball program is a family.

“Everybody is so together and for each other,” he told Biancardi. “Coach Calipari really cares about his players and helps them reach their goals and dreams.”

Many of those players who have reached their dreams at UK under Calipari returned to campus for the weekend for the alumni game. Randle sat in the first row behind one of the benches, directly behind Drake, and took it all in. He said, “The atmosphere was exciting and Kentucky has great fans.”

It sounds like the official visit went well, but Randle will still wait until the spring to make his decision. He plans to visit Florida, Duke, Kansas, UNC, N.C. State and Texas throughout the season.

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Julius Randle enjoyed his official visit to Kentucky

1. justin
    1:32 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

For some reason I see him cutting the list to NC state unc and uk. Eventuallu choosing between nc state and uk.. tough call tho

2. Ryan
    1:34 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Can he be given a UK sweat shirt? I don’t know how the rules work.

3. Huston
    1:35 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Third!

4. Will S
    1:42 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Big mistake having the official visit so early. 17 and 18yr old kids are very impressionable. The last visit often makes the biggest impact on their decision. In the end I think he’ll be at UNC or Kansas.

5. Will S
    1:43 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

BTW, UNC Chancellor Holden Thorpe to step down June 2013 with a nice “retirement” package, AKA hush-money.

6. Big Blue 66
    1:48 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

4. c’mon man, i know what you are saying, but do you really want to doubt Cal? I mean come on dude, that would be like telling Picasso he missed a spot.

7. PatPattersonISwalkingthruthatdoor
    1:49 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

(2) they gets all types of free shit on official visits at every school. there’s a certain dollar amount that can’t be exceeded, but there’s a reason family members are always seen wearing school clothing.

8. Patriot
    1:57 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

2.) So even if it wasn’t permissible, don’t you think he could have bought one while in Lexington? He is a regular citizen right?

9. Badams
    1:57 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

T Jones visited UK for the blue white scrimmage and didn’t commit until the next May. I don’t buy into your theory. We you have a damn good time, it doesn’t matter when it was, you remember it.

10. SexnNursinHomes
    1:58 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

4- Of course you think its between unc and kansass. shocker, a real shocker there.

7- at dook, they get free jewelry and at unc they get free credit hours. so yeah, I know what you mean.

11. blueblue
    2:11 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Ok, I’m sure that I’m forgetting some other significant details, but didn’t Bruce Pearls problems start when a recruit visited his house? Is that permitted and what am I forgetting?

12. Big Blue 66
    2:13 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

11. im not sure either, but can we just leave things like that to Cal and Sandy, I mean, they probably know what they are doing.

13. blueblue
    2:20 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

I know they do know what they’re doing, and you are right. We should leave it to them. But that was the first thought I had after reading this post.

14. timone and pumba
    2:25 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

hakuna matata guys

15. Ryan
    2:27 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

8) Of course he could. but I just wanted to know what the rules was. Not trying to start any type of argument.

16. Davis
    2:29 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

4) I doubt Gottfried or Williams could replicate the experience he had this past weekend…

17. Mel
    2:31 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

11. That recruit was a junior at the time. Cal knows what he’s doing, and doesn’t have to break the rules like the Sweathog did in big orange country.

18. Ky Basketball Forum
    2:51 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

I think they are permitted to give them clothing up to a certain dollar amount. Pearl’s problems were because it was during the no-contact period and he decided to throw a BBQ anyway. The thing I worry about is the crowd chanting the recruit’s name and Cal giving his blessing. I realize you can’t help it if the crowd chants a recruit’s name but I think there is a rule against it.

19. Jordan
    2:57 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Every recruit is ours… until he’s not. Then we didn’t want him.

20. Gator fan
    3:38 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Pearl’s problem is the recruits were on unofficial visits. Plus he was caught and he lied about it of course. Official visitors can go to dinner at a coaches house and I think they usually do.

21. Gator fan
    3:42 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think they can be given sweatshirts but they certainly an buy or borrow them. There is a rule against chanting Calipari’s seeming encouragement could be a violation (maybe dunno) but I doubt it is anything but a minor one.

22. bluefan
    4:04 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Pretty sure no school is going to top what the kid experienced Saturday and that he’s not going to forget it any time soon. He just wants his time in the spotlight next spring ala Nerlens and Shabazz, etc. Relax.

Lol @sexn…hilarious!

23. Badams
    4:44 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Seniors can go to coaches homes, Selby and craft were juniors.

24. Badams
    4:44 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

He will be a Cat, mark it down.

25. Judge Reinhold
    5:31 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Somebody is a Close Talker.

26. BluehazDrhaltdrhazle
    5:54 pm September 17, 2012 Permalink

Lets not waste our time worrying about compliance: we pay people to watch this who know the rules. The average fan is not a source of information