Julius Randle blogs about his NC State visit

Well, it looks like the street art mural, the red velvet cakes and the chants did the trick: in his latest USA Today blog, Julius Randle says that his visit to NC State was the best yet:

All in all, I’d have to say that this was my best visit so far. I had a ball at Kentucky, and yeah they had Drake and everything, but this visit just had a lot more going on.

“And yeah they had Drake and everything?” Hmmm. Thankfully, USA Today’s Jason Jordan also has a piece that downplays the effects the VIP treatment recruits get on their visits has on their decisions. In it, Tyus Jones, the #1 player in 2014, says that during his visit to Kentucky, he focused more on the play on the court than the royal treatment he received:

“I am constantly watching,” Jones said. “When I was at Kentucky a few weeks back I was definitely watching Ryan (Harrow) closely. I see things that most people wouldn’t catch. I have to. I want to make the best decision possible, so I’m pretty serious about it.”

Cakes, murals and cheers may be nice, but they’re not National Championship banners or NBA paychecks, boys.

33 Comments for Julius Randle blogs about his NC State visit

1. UK fans
    2:35 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

You writer are some greedy people. We are spoiled being UK fans and you guys make it seem like its been the norm for the past decade to get all the recruits. We sucked before Calipari and I guess that wasnt humbling. We have 5 5-star players committed, so everyone else who wants to come here should have commited already. They will just have to miss out.

2. random dude
    2:42 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Aaron Gordon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. James
    2:48 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think any of the three know what THEY want. All this attention is new to them; it’s a tug-of-war between the schools.

4. fish on
    2:49 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Marcus Lee is a McDonald’s all-American, per next cats

5. bmt22033
    2:54 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

I asked Jason Jordan last night if he thought the 2013 class is complete and if not, who among Wiggins, Randle and Gordon did he think was the most likely to end up committing. His answer was “incomplete” but he opted out of guessing who the addition would be.

6. emlang08
    2:55 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

I think with the possibility of some of our original 1 and dones staying, we are pretty set, Adding Wiggins, Randle or Gordon make us pretty hard to compete with, added bonus.

Look at it this way, Randle to NC State… Do we have to worry about State winning a title? Probably not

Wiggins going to FSU…. do we need to worry about FSU getting in our way of a title? DEF NOT

Gordon stays on the west coast…. The only real threats are AZ and Kansas, KU being the bigger of the two….. What happened to KU last year??

Just saying!

7. emlang08
    2:56 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

With what I just said, even though most think Gordon is our 3rd choice of the three, It makes sense to me he makes teh biggest impact whether he chooses UK or not!

8. Get it together Tyler
    3:01 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

2 week old news.

9. Wayne
    3:05 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Let him go to NC State and underachieve, see CJ LESLIE

10. mudcreekmark
    3:13 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

You stole my comments that I was getting ready to post. C.J Leslie supposed to have been a one and done player and now he is three years in. No one else has the Kentucky Effect. That is our trump card.If you want to be a one and done player the most likely person to get you there is Coach Cal.

11. Bobbum man
    3:17 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t this exact thing posted a few days ago??

12. Real talk
    3:19 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Why would You go to NC State? They suck.

13. Carl
    3:22 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Someone needs to explain to Randle that no matter what happens at NC State they will always be little brother to Duke and UNC. At Kentucky you ARE the big brother.

14. Jason
    3:25 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

kEntucky +
    juliuS randle =
    chamPionship
    Nine

15. SexnNursinHomes
    3:32 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

They can’t win a championship with Leslie and Purvis, yet they will with JR? hahaha

Hope JR enjoys that painted rock and that carboard sign. That’s first thing that ALL recurits should look for in a school

School: Love to have you on our campus for the weekend.

Top Recruit: Ya’ll have a painted rock for me?

School: Absolutely…

16. MemphisCat
    3:46 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

If he chooses NC State, that is on him and he will have to live with his decision, the only chance they have to win a championship is if they win a pre-season Christmas tourney or luck up and win the ACC becasue NC and Duke are on probation. If his goal is to win a chmapionship, NC State is not the logical choice. (But, CJ Leslie has improved his stock the 3 years he has been at State, he is now projected as a 2nd round choice)

17. C'on man
    3:54 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

13) Yes, this is the same post from a couple days ago. I get putting the same story up twice when it’s a slow news time, but with football recruiting at a high. Plus the season on full swing looks like something new should be going on. Hell if nothing else troll the pay sites and give us some of their info! I like KSR and visit daily, love that we get a free site to get our news, but I can say with the best intentions C’on Tyler your better than this! I know because I’ve see your work daily and it is good.

18. Cat89
    3:59 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

#10) Who??

19. C'on man
    4:09 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Why do some think they have to trash out a 18 year old kid because he chooses a school that they don’t agree with? He cant win a NC at anther school? You can’t get drafted going somewhere else?
    UK is a top program of all time and we only have 8 in over 100 years and 3 in the last 17 years. NC are hard to win of the only goal is a banner then it’s a craps shoot there is no sure thing! Shabaz didn’t choose UK and he still is going to be a top 5 pick if not #1. If a player is good enough the NBA will find them. As we have seen with Goodwin and Poythress most draft experts already have their minds made up about a kid regardless of the 1 year of high school unless they are just a total bust!!
    Why is it Cal has said time and time again that UK isn’t for everyone but some of the fans still cant get it!! Maybe Randle wants to be the man, something that he will not get to be at UK. Cal will get the players he thinks will help UK the most. Please stop hating on a kid for making a move that is best for him and his family over what a fan wants him to do!
    I would love to see this kid at UK but is his future let him make the best choice for him and wish him the best of luck except for when he plays UK!

20. Rae
    4:13 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

16. If he wants painted rocks, he should see what BBN did to Tennessee’s rock after #8. You won’t get that at NC State.

Of course they had more going on. He timed his visit with College Gameday. His UK visit was during football season, and that can be depressing here.

21. SexnNursinHomes
    4:16 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

20- I read that whole thing and just subsituted CJ Leslie in there. Then I read it again, and substituted in Rodney Purvis. Randle will lose millions by going there

21- haha, I remember that. Actually stayed up for a few days. Classic.

22. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    4:34 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Actually, Julius’ post about his visit came out today, so it’s not the same post as Matt put up a few days ago, which only had a quote from Julius from an NC State website. I used the same picture as Matt did without realizing it, so I changed it to clear up confusion.

23. C'm on man
    4:38 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

22) How do some think Leslie was supposed to be a first round pick? I think if you go back and look you will see Leslie was ranked behind Jones coming out of high school. So by your logic Jones lost millions by choosing Uk! Because if CJ was supposed to be a one and done lottery pick then Jones should have done better! Then I see you put Purvis who hasn’t even been on the team the whole time because of NCAA rules violation! So how can you put his stock on NC St.. CJ Leslie isn’t even playing for the same coach who recruited him and if you think he is going to be a 2 round pick your crazy! He will be a first round pick and very well could be a All- America selection at years end he’s having a great season!

24. UKBlue1!
    4:44 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Gordon,Lee, Johnson, Young, Harrison Twins, Wiltjer, Harrow and WCS =#9. We will be deep enough to pressure the ball every game.

25. 13 year old uk fan
    4:45 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

should i buy the nike platinum warm up jacket from last year, even though the championship years on the back are now outdated? Or should i just buy the regular white uk warm up jacket?

26. C'm on man
    4:52 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

I think this is good news anyway! In my opinion Randle isn’t coming to UK. Seems like interest is lower now then it was in the summer from both sides. I would rather see him at NC St. then at Flordia. Flordia has a chance at having a great class too plus they very well could be the best team in the country this year. I would say they have as good a chance as anyone as winning it all this year!
    Think our best chance at getting one more this year is Wiggins or Gordon. I have faith in Cal and what ever he chooses will be right. My self I’d rather see Gordon because we already have plenty of players to dominate the ball next year. I don’t think we need Wiggins as bad as most teams and Gordon is a beast. This kid is Blake Griffin 2.0. If he comes to UK there will be some SEC players on Posters next year!

27. C'm on man
    5:56 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

26) Go platinum my friend! Even though it’s out dated as you said, but it will always bring up memory of the year we got #8. So therefore it will always be in style and up to date. Just my opinion though. I still have the converse denim blues from ’96 and get favorable comments about them.
    25) I agree with you as well and think the 3 you said will return and I’m hoping for Gordon even though we will be just fine if we miss on him. Plus even though neither will be key parts Hood and Polson should be capable of playing meaningfull time if needed. Especialy Polson who has turned his self into a capable role player. He has made his self to where he doesn’t hurt the team when he’s in the game.

28. Matt
    7:46 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

Can somebodyC explain to Randal about who coaches NC St and about how CJ Leslie was a one and done superstar 5 Star PF that is in his Junior year…

29. Bsb Coach
    9:22 pm January 31, 2013 Permalink

I’m telling anybody that will listen. Aaron Gordon is the one guy we really want (between Gordon & Randle). Trust me, he will be the next huge superstar.

30. Coach cal
    7:50 am February 1, 2013 Permalink

About 90% of these post really make Kentucky fans look like idiots. All 5 star products are not one and done, some actually need time to mature and realize they may not be as good as some people lead them to believe. We also have 2 former Nc State players in Mays and Harrow, both left for different reasons but it wasn’t because they thought there was no chance at winning. As it stands now they have a top 10 recruiting class without Randle and if he decides to go to Raleigh they will have a top 5 class. Like it or not they are a program with a deep history and are on the rise . Whether we like it or not all roads to a championship do not come thru Lexington . Just so everyone knows , the mural was not on a rock , it is on a tunnel that is about 200ft long that connects two sides of campus and is traveled by a few thousand student and staff everyday. I’ve been there once and it’s a pretty cool deal , definitely something that would impress a 18 yr old kid. Just my thoughts . Don’t know why we always have to hate on someone or another school unless its just from ignorance or arrogance .

31. Will S
    8:53 am February 1, 2013 Permalink

LOL, it’s not a rock, its a Free Expression Tunnel which virtually everyone on campus has to walk thru at some point during the day. It’s directly in the center of campus and is used to bring attention to a variety of things. Randle has been best friends with Purvis since they were 5yrs old. I’m starting to think he’s a lock for NCSU. Wiggins seems like he’s going to FSU. Gordon maybe to AZ, KU or UK.

If Wiltjer and/or WCS comes back, do you really need anyone else? I see the need for Wiggins, b/c Young is not a true SF… but Randle/Gordon may just clog up the rotation if Kyle or Willie come back.

32. Will S
    8:56 am February 1, 2013 Permalink

31) True, NC State does have 2 national championships and a pretty rich tradition. Great players coming in next season in 5* Cat Barber, 4* Beejay Anya, and 4* Kyle Washington. They will bring back Purvis, Warren, and Lewis. Pretty good makeup for the next 2-3 years with that core.