Julius Mays with a strong showing at point guard in Brooklyn

juliusmays

Julius Mays just wrapped up his workout in Brooklyn today and Coach Cal couldn’t be more proud of the way his former guard performed in front of NBA personnel. Cal tweeted, “Just got done watching Julius Mays at the Nets’ combine. Julius played really well — and he played point guard! Julius had 18 points and six assists in just two 12-minute quarters. He played so well that people are probably wondering why I didn’t play him at point guard. Couldn’t be more proud of Julius.”

So now the only question is, WHY DIDN’T YOU PLAY HIM AT POINT GUARD?!!!

Just kidding. Good for Julius and we look forward to following him wherever he ends up.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for Julius Mays with a strong showing at point guard in Brooklyn

1. Laker Cat 18
    1:47 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

Good job Mr. Mays.

2. not
    1:52 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

if he can play in the nba, then there are a lot of people who can play in the nba.

3. Josh
    1:52 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

I don’t think you were kidding. Asking why Cal didn’t play him at point guard is a valid question!

4. BravoBigBlue
    1:55 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

I agree he should have been given a shot at PG over Archie early in the season when Harrow was MIA.
    I’ll tell you something else you missed on, big-time, Cal. Jon Hood should have gotten a lot more playing time, especially considering the slackers that were on this team.
    Not that this team was going anywhere anyway. But maybe it would have prevented one of the most embarassing seasons in Wildcat basketball in my lifetime from happening. No hyberbole here, I truly mean that. Embarassing.

5. Imactastic
    2:00 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

Yeah we remember #4 we were watching too… Now maybe we can stop bringing it up since we are preseason #1

6. mudcreekmark
    2:02 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

4)I’m 53 years old and this past season was the worse season that I can remember. I can over look a lot of things, but not giving it your all while you’re on the court is one of the things I cannot forgive. If you get beat because the other team was just better than you, so be it. But to come out and think because you’re wearing a UK uniform that you are entitled to win, inexcusable.To make things worse was all season long we had to hear where all of these guys were going to be drafted. We had four players hyped all year and that made me sick to my stomach.

7. And that's why!
    2:03 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

@BravoBigBlue: That is why Cal is a very good coach but not a great coach! Not complaining though. He has accomplished a lot more and has done a lot of good to players than other great coaches have.

8. That's what she said
    2:05 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

#Kentuckyeffect. he goes anywhere else he doesn’t get this chance. Good for him for taking advantage of the opportunity and wish him the best.

9. BravoBigBlue
    2:07 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

#5 – Being preseason #Whatever doesn’t guarantee or really mean anything. We were ranked high last year too.
    I am optimistic about this year’s team and am looking forward to it.
    But to talk about running the table is just stupid on Cal’s part.
    He is starting to remind me of the “Pitino Wanna-Be” he was back early in his career.
    If Cal will just focus on recruiting and coaching up his team, and leave the celebrities and “we’re everyone’s Super Bowl” BS alone, “WE” will be fine.
    Start beating your chest about going undefeated, you’ll get your arse handed to you.
    I’m a lifelong Kentucky basketball fan and not a front-runner at all.
    Sometimes, it’s a good idea for the coach to show a little humility.

10. Laker Cat 18
    2:07 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

6. Were you in a medically induced coma during the Gillispie years?

11. Smitty
    2:09 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

4 – Get over Jon Hood. That is all

12. AlZymer
    2:11 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

@10 – the most painful memories are the first to go.

13. The Real JD
    2:13 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

Uncle Julius didn’t fit Coach Cal’s program at PG. That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t fit a different coaches style though.

14. DenimJerseys
    2:27 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

I said all year that Mays should play point. When does the Kentucky job open back up? I need an application

15. Uk tim
    2:40 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

So people want to dog joker for not playing newton at te but when cal does the same thing oh it alright

16. mudcreekmark
    2:53 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

10)To me this past year was the worse. No I remember the Gillespie year just fine thank you. You may have a different opinion. Gillespies teams didn’t have a bunch of over hyped McDonald’s All Americans on it. None of those players were being stroked by the media as being lottery picks. Those teams didn’t tank games like last years did.In my personal opinion.

17. Laker Cat 18
    3:12 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

16. I’ll take one year like last year if it’s included in a 5 year span of one elite 8, one final 4, and two national championships (possibly). Every kid is not going to buy into a coach’s system. With that said, at least Cal has a system. I’m not sure Gillispie even had a system other than drinking.

18. Sam
    3:12 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

#9: I totally disagree. Wanting to be special and go undefeated is a worthy goal to aspire to. We might not expect it, but why not shoot for it.

Having goals and announcing them to the world does not mean you are not humble. I completely disagree with that statement. I say raise the bar, aspire to greatness. If it’s not a goal, then it probably won’t happen by accident.

And if we fall short by one or a few games, then oh well, but 37-3 and #9 would still be very sweeeeet.

19. Jeffrey
    3:13 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

All last season I was asking why Cal didn’t play him as PG.

20. BravoBigBlue
    3:17 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

18 – I totally disagree with you. Cal’s statement to the college basketball world that this year’s team’s goal is to go undefeated is stupid, unnecessary, and reeks with arrogance. I say do it first and then talk about it later.

21. Kittyfan
    3:37 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

Only here one year, but Uncle Jullius made a great impression on the fan base!

22. ThankfulCat
    3:55 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

#15

Are you stupid?

Cal won a national title.

Joker destroyed the football program

That’s why they are treated differently you moron

23. Ben
    6:22 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

#4 cal should of given hood a shot at PG hahaaha

24. Realitycatfan
    10:11 pm May 23, 2013 Permalink

Mays can’t pass! I wish him the best, but let’s think about how he handled the ball under pressure! NOT WELL! Btw does anyone remember who threw the bad pass when NERLENS got hurt? Mays ! Don’t see him bringing the ball up against Wall or Rondo!