Julius Mays: Kentucky’s Catalyst

Coming into the year Julius Mays was the biggest unknown. Nobody knew exactly what kind of role the transfer was going to play in regards to Kentucky’s season. Most expected the guy play limited minutes off the bench when the Cats needed a big shot. Few could have imagined Mays being the force that would drive this year’s Kentucky team. But make no mistake, tonight’s game in Arkansas demonstrated one thing, Julius Mays has become the heart and soul of this team since Noel went down to injury.

Today Mays finished with just three points on 1-6 shooting. An off night can happen to anyone and tonight that’s what happened to Julius but the Cats have yet to show they can overcome an off night from Mays. Last week Julius willed the Cats to a win over Missouri as he finished with 24 points. If you get a night where Julius scores over his average of ten points per game then the Cats are hard to beat. If he is scoring 10 or less like tonight then the Cats are very vulnerable.

Julius is probably the sixth man on this team in terms of athleticism and ability to score, so when  he is the driving the Cats to victory there are some problems. The Cats are what they are but for now it looks like this team is going to go as Mays goes. With the Cats now a part of Lunardi’s first four out will Uncle Julius be able to carry the Cats into March?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

36 Comments for Julius Mays: Kentucky’s Catalyst

1. Tom Jurich
    9:03 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Aww, is it tough trying to be good at basketball AND football. Poor kitties!!

2. uncle julius is a cranky old man
    9:07 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Every game win or lose Mays has terrible body language. Whether we get hosed on calls or not he is always complaining about fouls, and many times gets caught standing around. Not exactly the player I’d want to rely on as “the catalyst” for this team

3. Bowel Movement
    9:07 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Uncle Tom Julius sucks.

4. Breaking
    9:08 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

did anyone hear that John Short got arrested for jerking off in the Kroger deli this afternoon?

5. ehhh...
    9:12 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Stay classy, U of L

6. Georgia Grad
    9:14 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait to knock you cheaters out of the tourney.

7. mudcreekmark
    9:15 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Once again Kyle Wiltjer is not involved in the offense. I have said it all year, if we are going to go anywhere this year Kyle Wiltjer has to be our leading scorer. He got 5 shots tonight. We post up WCS who has no idea what to do once they double and triple down on him. Run the offense thru Wiltjer and good things will happen. Post him up, then when he feels the double team he will hit the open man, if, and this is a big if, someone will make himself available. Make a cut, spot up, set a pick for a team mate, roll to the basket, do something to get someone open. That is our whole problem, we just don’t have players that know how to play the game. Goodwin and Poythress have zero basketball I.Q.

8. A Hungry Kentucky Student
    9:18 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I wish K Lair was open on weekends

9. Skeller03
    9:23 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

It’s funny how many haters crawl out of the woodwork when we have a down year. Guess we gotta give them some time to talk trash since it definitely didn’t happen last year when we beat UofL and Indiana on our road to #8. Personally I think you all need to find something better to do with your life than trash talk on an opposing teams site. I’m sure we have a population that talks trash on other sites too and to them I’d say the same thing.

#4, you sir, based upon your comment, are just a terrible person and embody everything wrong with this country.

#6, Cheaters, ay? I assume you have some proof that no one, including the NCAA, has to make an accusation like that right? Last time I checked, the NCAA said Cal had no responsibility in the previous issues. Since when is “guilty until proven innocent” how things are run? And if you actually are a graduate of UGA, as your name claims, I hope you feel proud of how you are representing your university.

10. Are you guys watching?
    9:25 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

It is shocking how no one watches Julius Mays when he isn’t taking a wide open three. He is a terrible defender, always caught standing around on the defensive end. He gives up offensive rebounds like its his job. What does he do other than shoot threes? Nothing. He can’t dribble, he can’t pass. He is very weak with the ball and is afraid of on ball pressure. The guy has a stretch of 4 or 5 good games and all the sudden he is the savior to the season. Wake up and realize this guy isn’t crazy good.

11. Dribble drive high five
    9:28 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I thought lots of teams cheated when we sucked under billy g

12. Amaze Pants
    9:29 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Can’t believe you didn’t capitalize on “CATalyst.”

13. KY Realist
    9:29 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

You have at least 4 future pros and you got routed by an NIT team. LOL.

14. Dribble drive high five
    9:30 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

The point is, if everyone gave as much of themselves as Julius does, wed be much better. And Julius would come off the bench

15. Joe
    9:30 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

We have some of the most spoiled pathetic fans of all time. We lost, it sucked, but gosh damn have some perspective! Down years happen we can still make the tournament. If we don’t it will be kinda embarrassing but we are defending champs! Coach cal has my complete confidence. I think we win out, & make the sweet sixteen. Don’t hate on these kids! Go cats!

16. hey
    9:31 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

9. Don’t sweat it. Just ask this question and UL fans get all choked up. When was the last time UL hoops has won a title? That is a question best answered in decades, which is NEARLY THREE DECADES THE CARDS have won a title.

The funniest thing is, ten years ago, Rick Pitino had an empty trophy case set up for a national champs trophy to be placed when they won a title. That space is still EMPTY a decade a later.

Until then, I am going to keep enjoying my favorite MILF, Mike’s mom. TTYL

17. Dribble drive high five
    9:33 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I wish you had to post your age of these boards, it would probably be pretty pathetic seeing a bunch of old guys tearing on these kids

18. hey
    9:33 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

13. You have NO PROS and lost to Notre Dame in 5 OT. Loved every extra OT in it too. Classic choke.

Hypothetical…UK goes to NIT and dos not win a title this year. UL goes to NCAA Tourney and doesn’t win a title either. Hell, I am all for that scenario! UK will win it again next year. Mark it down!!!!

19. Dribble drive high five
    9:36 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I would like to see UL play Florida in the tourney, good rematch game

20. Couldn't agree more
    9:39 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

With #17!

21. hey
    9:40 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

19. That would be nice. I really would like to see UL get bounced like they did against Morehead State in the early round. You would not have the troll issues for a while like we are having now. Ain’t that right Mike???

22. Please Say it Again
    9:43 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

LOL #13? Your posts are worthy of laughs perhaps, but the truth is that you are a pathetic Moron. I hope you get the help you need.

23. Yes Sir!
    9:45 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Nice post #9.

24. Steve
    9:58 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

#10: Thank you
    #4: I don’t think he gives that much energy. I watched him stand still and let someone drive past him. I watched him raise his hand up half way from five feet out and let a guy bury an open jumper. I watched him stand back and watch instead of trying to get open when his teammate was being double teamed. People jump all over Kyle for being one dimensional. I don’t understand the love fest with Mays. He’s supposed to be the leader. How is he supposed to get onto freshmen for giving a half assed effort when he does the same thing himself?

25. Hey
    10:19 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

10. No one is saying Mays is crazy good really. The point I believe KSR is making is, “what if Mays weren’t on this team?” Could you imagine Hood getting the same clock in for Mays? Dear lord!!!! Mays is average at most times, but that’s a heckuva lot better than the alternative for this season.

26. Dickie
    10:29 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

Mays is way overrated on KSR,

27. Bob
    11:02 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

You know what, This team has not really improved as a team the entire year. We are no better now than when we played UL and Duke. I made the comment at the time, Those two teams were as good as they were going to get and we’d get better every game until the end of the year. Unfortunately we have not. Our entire team has an extremely low basketball IQ. It seems Archie Goodwin has not learned a single thing about playing under control. Our best passers were Wiltjer, Noel and Cauley Stine. Our guards couldn’t pass the ketchup at the local McDonalds. I thought as the year progressed we’d see alot less of Uncle Julius and we’d just be getting better and better. As Cal said, I have a couple of guys who are uncoachable…… There is not a player on this team that is even remotely ready for the pros. Stine has the ability but he is greener than Calumet Farm in May…… The fact that I don’t think we are a very good team does not mean I am not a huge cat fan. If they will stop dribbling and look to pass first and shoot second, the can go deep in the tournament. Problem is, time is running out….

28. J
    11:20 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope they keep poythress in the top 10 in the draft boards. I’ve never been so ready to see a kid leave the team. He is useless, I support Kentucky no matter what but I just can’t stand that kid. Ready to see him go!

29. Frank the tank
    11:34 pm March 2, 2013 Permalink

28. Really bro? If you “support Kentucky no matter what” you need to refrain from personally attacking any of the members of our team. Just remember what your momma told you to do if you don’t have anything nice to say.
    Like everyone else I am overwhelmed with disappointment. However, some of you need to keep some perspective and remember these are 18 yr old kids that chose to play for your school. Regardless of your opinions, by publicly turning on them you are only tarnishing the image of the greatest tradition in sports.
    Support our team. It’s easy to do when things go the way you want them to. When things go badly, that is the true test of your loyalty.
    At times of adversity your true character is revealed.
    GO BIG BLUE

30. touche
    12:58 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

You said it #26. I guess he needs to channel the experience and poise he displayed in hostile environments like cleveland state and akron.

31. Finally!!!!
    4:16 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Finally I see people that agree with me that Julius just isn’t that good. Everyone needs to quit kissing his ass. He’s a good kid, but he is not UK material. He had a few good games and constantly gets beat on the defensive end. Then he turns around and throws the ball to the other team and points at his teammate and says why didn’t you catch the ball I threw ten feet away from you. I will say this again. I would play Jon Hood in his spot half of the time and Wiltjer the other half (with Wiltjer getting 10 more min somewhere). Wiltjer a 5 star who can shoot the rock and Hood who was ranked probably 100 spots ahead of Julius and has never gotten a shot (and on this team is bs). He can defend just as well as Julius and is much taller, more athletic, and will will get more rebounds. Hood would have had 5 15 point games like Julius if he played 36-39 min a game. 3 points in like 36 min today by Julius is pathetic. He doesn’t cost us when he’s on the floor???? He had about 5 turnovers and was beat on defense about 8 times. Sorry, just not a fan of a kid who could play at Wright State. This is UK. About the equivalent difference of UK being the NBA and Wright St WNBA

32. Finally!!!!
    4:20 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

All these people calling the players just kids need to refrain from saying Dont say something about Julius, polson, Wiltjer, or hood. They are upper classmen and should have figured out at least 75% of the mistakes they keep making. Most of them are the same mistakes they made as freshmen. Grow up and progress, not pay them on the ass for refusing to learn the game. (Given polson has made huge strides)

33. Bledsoe's Biceps
    8:21 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Glad to see others are also tired of the KSR hype for Julius. Yes, he has had some good moments and games. But so has every other player who gets the playing time that he does. He is a slow 6’2″ guard that is strictly a spot up shooter. He can’t defend. He can’t create his own shot. He is quick to blame his teammates for their mistakes, but he is often the cause of bad plays or easy baskets by the opponent. But yeah, other than that, he is the heart & soul of this team.

34. Nel
    10:10 am March 3, 2013 Permalink

Sorry Andrew, I disagree with you. Julius is always barking orders to the other players and you can tell they don’t respect him. Mays and Wiltjer refuse to play defense and add no value if they can’t aren’t scoring. Yet Cal is always hounding Harrow but letting Mays run the show. Cal is the only coach who is constantly yelling at the players; Puke’s coach is always yelling at the refs (and it works); louisville fans are southend, concrete rednecks who still won’t win a title under coach Fifteeno, and you ran off Denny Crum for that? hahaha

35. mudcreekmark
    12:27 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

At this point of the year anyone who keeps saying smart ass remarks about Jon Hood must not be watching the games. Hood is actually playing really good basketball right now when he gets minutes. It is almost impossible to get in there and impress when you’re getting 3 minutes at a time if that. If you all would just keep your eyes on him and watch him off the ball both on offense and defense you may be a little more educated when it comes to his play.

36. Really?
    3:08 pm March 3, 2013 Permalink

People that think hood should get more minutes, and that he would give the team a better chance to win are either a) racist b) clueless or c) racist and clueless. When he’s in I watch him the whole time for a good laugh. He’s lost on the court. I’ve played a lot of basketball in my life, and hood just doesn’t have it. He was rejected by the backboard a few games ago for crying out loud.. He hit a 3 and i nearly pissed myself. he followed that up by shooting a 3 off the side of the backboard. then there’s the fact he can’t guard anybody. Coach Cal knows his roster better than any of us. There’s a reason hood barely sees the court even on a team with no bench. Next year he’ll be getting Sam Malone minutes.