Julius Mays’ High School Coach Tweets His Thoughts on Decision

Julius Mays’ high school coach, Joe Luce, took to Twitter late last night to weigh in on his feelings about the decision for Julius to attend Kentucky. Earlier in the weekend Luce had tweeted about having a great visit at Purdue with Mays. If you go back through and read Luce’s newsfeed, it’s clear that he was pulling for Purdue in the recruiting race to secure Mays’ services. (Spoiler alert: he really thinks Purdue is classy). Mays is an Indiana kid and Luce is an Indiana coach. The feelings by Luce aren’t necessarily surprising. Also not surprising, Luce is a friend of Purdue’s head coach, Matt Painter.

I’ll let you all be the judge on whether or not it is appropriate for Julius Mays’ high school coach to let his doubts be known over Twitter about the decision…

**UPDATED**

From @Kid_Keyz1:

Joe Luce has responded to a tweet from a fan explaining his thoughts on Julius Mays’ decision.  BBN and Calipari beg to differ…

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

66 Comments for Julius Mays’ High School Coach Tweets His Thoughts on Decision

1. Tyrannosaur
    9:17 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

The decision is made, what is the point of this? The only person this can possibly serve is himself. “feel bad I couldn’t help more” = “I wish I was more important”

2. BRASSOW's Girlfriend
    9:19 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Given the coach’s background, I can understand that he pulls for Purdue. What I don’t understand is how you are going to take a jab at UK and a former player. That’s not high-class.

3. matt painter
    9:20 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

this is sad. as a coach of young men you should NEVER try to influence their decision based on who you root for. this coach openly rooting for a team is embarassing and he should be ashamed

4. Tossed salad
    9:20 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

No way that fat guy is a coach.

5. Yesterdats
    9:20 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

The first tweet about Purdue being classy is ok if not borderline. The second tweet, where he openly questions his decision, is just ludicrous. His coach should be supportive, not questioning the kids decision. He went to Purdue, weighed his options and chose Kentucky.

6. Emerson Biggins
    9:24 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

So he knows class, calling out your former players decision? To bad he doesn’t have any class! What an idiot

7. Me
    9:25 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

F this guy. Maybe, just maybe the kid wanted to go somewhere that he could win! You know, win something like the National Championship. What is PU gonna win this year? NOTHING!!!

I hate all these hangers on… QUIT LIVING THRU THESE KIDS, AND GET YOUR OWN LIFE.

8. ukupay1
    9:25 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

He is entitled to his opinion, but using twitter to voice it risk his long term relationship with this kid…possibly.

9. jugg
    9:26 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

sore loser! what a punk!!!!!!

10. Way to look out for the kid HS coach not

11. Kidnut
    9:26 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

The guy is loyal and his tweets aren’t egregious. If Mays is looking to have the most enjoyable senior year possible, he made the right choice.

12. Wildcat Willie says
    9:27 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

I like for people to stand up for what they believe. This man did. There is no right or wrong here, only what you believe. I’m happy that Mays is coming and I hope he has a great year at UK. And, I hope the coach will be rooting for him even though he didn’t go to Purdue. Go Big Blue.

13. matt
    9:27 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

What emerson said!

14. tom
    9:28 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Coach is steamed because he learned his influence on young Julius is not as great as what he thought. I would wager that we never hear the name Luce again. He lost his 15 minutes….

15. Joe Luce
    9:29 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Im sure that the self proclaimed group Big Blue Nation will just let this roll off their backs…..certainly I won’t get any back lash from my ennuendo that UK isnt high class. I just hope I’m sting enough to handle what little should come from such a small narrow minded fanbase. Feel free to send your thoughts to me on twitter….again my handle is @coachluce42

16. The Dude
    9:29 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

My take is different than the previous posters. There can be no doubt that Luce is not only Mays former coach, but a Purdue fan. I think his tweets represent the thoughts of a fan of both Mays and Purdue. He is disappointed and tweeted as a fan would have tweeted. Add in the fact he is a friend of the Purdue coach and I am sure his disappointment was strong in the choice to attend UK. In today’s digital age, people share their feelings on a host of issues and I see nothing wrong in his post. He is simply sharing his thoughts.

17. Hoops Malone
    9:30 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Looks like someone may have made promises to deliver but couldn’t close the deal. Good luck with that, Coach.

18. Joe Luce
    9:31 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Sorry guys, I’m just pissed off that I won’t be getting that check from Purdue that they promised me for pushing Mays in their direction. I’ll get over it…

19. the Big Dog
    9:33 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Most former coaches would have the best interests of their players as being more important than their personal interests. Too bad that Old Joe isn’t classy enough. By the way, what is this guy thinking?

20. bob
    9:34 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Purwho???

21. Echo 1
    9:38 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Looks like someone is pissed he is not getting that cushy assistant job at Perdue now.

22. Simple
    9:38 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Please do not tweet this guy messages. Last thing we need is another Pett telling the world how awful we are.

23. BlueDNA
    9:38 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Obviously not a players first coach.

24. TrinhCat
    9:40 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Truly Sad. What is this “feel bad I couldn’t help more”? Kid is a graduating senior, made the decision that is best for him, not you the high school coach. Bottom line, he wants to win and play for UK. It was his decision. Time will tell if it was good or not, but then ask JWall, DCousins, EBledsoe, EKanter, BKnight, ADavis, MKG, TJones, DLamb, MTeague, ……….. ever heard of JORTS??

25. ClassySays
    9:41 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

To me, the former coach’s tweet was fine, accept for the part about “classy.” Was he inferring Kentucky is not? Nevertheless, Harry’s Chocolate Shop can’t reel in all the recuits – classy program or not.

26. CATNTN
    9:41 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

He’s entitled to his opinion. I’m sure Mr. Mays already knew how his high school coach felt. Not a very smooth move taking it to Twitter.

27. Richie Farmer
    9:42 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Luce is the new name for dooche.

Lucebag

28. CATNTN
    9:43 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

I forgot. Please don’t tweet this guy.

29. Tebkats
    9:47 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Probably is upset that he won’t be receiving any free tickets to Purdue basketball games.

30. Jezz
    9:52 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

For someone who values class this much, those are certainly very classless things to say…

31. Smyrna_Cat
    9:54 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

most people should not tweet

period

i think Luce’s tweet was unfortunate, but it isn’t that big a deal.

32. Real UK Fan
    9:54 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Seems to me that everyone would have been better off if the the fomer coach had just kept quiet. Nothing positive was gained for Mays, Luce, Purdue or Kentucky. So why post something like that?

33. @notjimmydykes
    9:57 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Luce will not be joining the Purdue coaching staff next season.

34. Daria
    9:59 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Cal’s success with transfer recruits can be summed up by Eloy Vargas. No bueno.

35. Another Perspective
    10:02 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

I highly doubt it’s about a job on Purdue’s coaching staff. We’re not talking about the top recruit in the country. The kid is a juco with 1 year of eligibility remaining.

36. Joe Luce
    10:02 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

This kid has a lot fo nerve choosing where he wanted to go. I had his future all planned out for him. Classless…

37. Ruppster
    10:03 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

This is low class. OK to like Purdue, ok to think he will be a better fit there, ok to tell Mays this (I actually respect that), but not ok to air your feelings to the world. I do feel he has his heart in the right place, but bad decision to tweet feelings. Especially the part about him not succeeding at UK.

38. Han
    10:05 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like this guy is a bit too much Purdue supporter and not enough a coach and mentor to his players.

When you tweet this stuff, you want attention. If he just wanted to express his concerns to Mays, he’d have done it in private.

34) Uh, yeah, I think Harrow will be a better example than Vargas. Cal knew he was losing Stevenson, Patterson, Cousins, and possibly Orton when he signed Eloy. He needed depth and he took a player that had previously played at Florida.

39. Shawn
    10:08 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

You can tell ole Joe Loce had his own agenda with Mays. Coaches who obsessively try and steer a kid one way or the other are worse than us getting on here voicing our opinions. Just let the young man go where he wants to. How could UK be worse for the kids career than Wright State or Purdue? Purdue Is where you go to quietly die, meet chubby homely women, and blow out your knees.

40. Smyrna_Cat
    10:10 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Luce is digging himself a hole.

41. Beatle Bum
    10:13 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

For the life of me, I am not sure why some HS coaches need to publicly express their opinions, unless they think it is about THEM and not their players. Remember when Bledsoe picked UK? How did that work out? Yet, there was some HS coach who thought he knew better. IN THIS INSTANCE, the player is four years removed from his HS. He may know a bit more than his old coach. Perhaps his old coach has a different agenda.

42. Crow
    10:24 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Tweet Luce on how Eric Bledsoe is doing despite his coach fuming over Bledsoe going to UK.

43. uklaw95
    10:28 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

If he is saying things like this on Twitter, can you imagine what he says t. o kids in private? Does anyone think this is the first time he has tried to influence a kid?

44. BOL
    10:32 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

UK represents the biggest stage and greatest opportunity for the young man. The comments by the coach seem to questions the kid’s ability to live up to this challenge. Cal seems to believe in the kid.

45. AMIRITE
    10:36 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

yeah…i mean he can go to purdue and finish 4th or 5th in the big ten or make a run for the national championship in his final year of college.
    hmmm.
    we all saw how much help robbie hummel got in the tourney against kansas.

46. UK22
    10:39 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Joe Luce that’s a real pu##y move what you did. You should never question a young man’s decision publicly like that. You should support your former players decision even if you have your own agenda. Your not looking out for his best interest your making things worse for him and looking like a jacka$$.

47. Musehobo
    10:45 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

He tweeted this so he can have an “I told you so” moment if it doesn’t go perfectly. Just be supportive.

48. 3cats
    10:52 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think his High School coach thinks Mays can play at UK…. Uk don’t know him, whats that mean? He is only going to play a few min a game anyway. Cal only wanted him as a back up player.

49. tltaworl
    11:12 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Purdue had a chance to get him 4 years ago. If they wanted him they should have gone for him then. Cal got what he wanted. A spark off the bench to come in and score.

50. David
    11:21 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

I think I must have missed something. How is that he can transfer and play right away without having to sit out a season?

51. Sourgrapes
    11:46 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

Coach Luce really wanted that Assistant Coach job at Purdue, huh?

52. JEREMY
    12:03 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

Wait….! You mean to tell me that other teams fan base’s complain and say negative stuff after a recruit signs with another team??? Where’s espn, zagsblog etc? Oh thats right, you only right articles like that about UK and label the whole UK fan base on the actions of about 30 of our “so called fans”!!!

53. David in Boynton
    12:05 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

If Julius Mays disappears – he should do so with a retired blue jersey – it will buy him a career in the future. If he does not fulfill his role @ Purdue then he might as well have stayed at Wright State and played in some low level Siberian league if the opportunity ever arose.

At Kentucky, even the role players get national attention and respect. If 15 minutes a game @ Kentucky translates to a SHOT at the NBA or a better European gig, then it is a respectable gamble.

Purdue may be “classy” but truthfully name 5 famous Purdue players and where they are today.

54. That was quickk
    12:05 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

It appears that Coach Luce has stopped tweeting.

55. Paul
    12:07 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

Let’s see here: My player is offered by the National Champions, the premier program in all organized athletics. He has the opportunity to display his talents prime time every week, surely with a deep run defending that National Championship. Plus the media attention from Nessler, Dykes, Vitale, Bilas, Lundquist/Raftery. The alternative is playing Nebraska and Minnesota on the Big Ten Network. Seriously, I agree Purdue is a very good program. There’s nothing shabby about playing there. But the first time Mays is introduced at Rupp………..hope I’m there.

56. Juan4UK
    1:19 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

Joe Luce is @coachLuce34 not 42

57. billy harrison
    1:35 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

So Kentucky has no class? If a boy wants to compete for a NC come to Kentucky now that Calipari is here. Who can Purdue beat? What a prejudice joke. The boys wants to go to the NBA. How may players has the coach at Pudue put into the NBA?

58. 49 Chevy
    1:54 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

If never winning their conference, national championship or hanging a Helm’s banner is class, then Purdue exudes it immensly.

59. Crackerhillbilly
    3:12 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

Give the guy a break – he likes the young man and is Purdue homer. He could well know more than we all know (including Cal) about Mays and his ability to handle the grand stage that is UK. BBN is the best, but it isn’t for everyone. Here’s hoping the young man (and he is a man, not a kid) knows himself and embraces a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

60. Joe Barry Caroll
    4:21 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

53 there was me, big dog robinson, will perdue…no he was vandy…me…big dog, gene keady, oh f it.

61. STEVE!
    4:34 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

Joe Barry – don’t forget about Rick Mount! Oh, I guess you already did.

62. The Giver
    4:59 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

I have no problem with his opinion and the fact he is disappointed. BUT there is a place and time to share that and publicly through social media is not one of them. It only makes him look very suspicious. It makes it look like he was working with Purdue. My nephew is headed toward being a big time basketball or baseball player. I have my allegiances as a fan but will support whatever college choice he makes. the only comments I would or will make on social media are congratulatory. The guys heart was probably in the right place but his head was not. the irony is that he spoke of class but looked class less.

63. Kim
    6:56 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

The coach should be reprimanded by the school. Why does he even have a twitter account? Does he have 15 followers? Welcome aboard Julius Mays. You are more than wanted, and you will have a great senior year. We are glad to have you.

64. Fan no more
    9:22 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

I hope you are getting all the attention that you are after, there is especial place for someone that uses a kid to try and be someone.

65. In Cal We Trust
    10:22 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

The ex-high school coach is so close to Mays that he does not have his phone number, he tries to talk to him by twitter?

66. m
    1:23 am May 15, 2012 Permalink

Wowww what a di*k is that coach! I would hope Mays is thinking “wtf?”