Josh Teater’s Tuesday News & Views

How could we not dedicate tonight’s post to Josh Teater, the Danville native and Morehead State grad who tied for second in the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Monday afternoon? Teater is not only a huge Kentucky fan, he’s a fan of the site as well. Teater was second to only Tiger Woods with a score of ten under, which is by far his highest finish since joining the PGA Tour. For it, Teater will bring a $536,800 paycheck home to Lexington.

We first really became aware of Teater’s fanhood during the Free Enes movement, when he wrote “FREE ENES” on his golf shoes during a tournament. Since then, Teater has been a BBN force on Twitter, tweeting his love for the Cats and striking up a friendship with Rich Brooks, with whom he golfs and probably takes scenic pictures frequently. As you can see in the picture above, Teater even wore a Kentucky jersey during the Shell Houston Open days before the National Championship game, which he saw in person at the Superdome.

Congrats, Josh. Consider these news and views the cherry on top.

Monday was a huge day for both major sports at Kentucky, so let’s dive right in.

BASKETBALL

— For yet another week, the Cats did not receive any votes in the polls, but they have an opportunity to change that Tuesday night, when they take on Ole Miss in Oxford. I feel as though we’ve been saying this a lot lately, but this is the biggest game of the season thus far for the Cats. They’re three point underdogs to the fighting Marshall Hendersons right now and if they manage to pull of an upset, it would be a statement win to sit right atop their NCAA Tournament resume. If they lose, the climb to the tournament gets a little bit steeper and the margin for error narrower. Kentucky will likely be without Willie Cauley-Stein, who will travel with the team to Oxford, but is doubtful to play. Cal said that while Willie is making progress, they don’t won’t to rush him, and his chances at returning for the Texas A&M game are looking better by the day.

— Ole Miss leads the SEC in scoring with 80.3 points a game, beating teams by a margin of 16.4 points, second only to Florida. They’re currently riding a nine-game winning streak and coming off the dreaded Thursday-Saturday-Tuesday turnaround, one of the few hopeful signs for the Cats’ chances Tuesday night. Despite his team’s status as the favorite, Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy said that his squad still has the hunter’s mentality and is ready to take advantage of the opportunity in front of them: “Kentucky in your building, the most storied program in all of college basketball, our guys will be excited about that. Now hopefully we play well.”

— Of course, the key to the Rebels/Black Bears (which do I call them? I’m confused.) playing well is Marshall Henderson, the trigger-happy trash talker who transferred from junior college after stints at Utah and Texas Tech. Henderson leads the league in scoring with 19.2 points a game, and has absolutely no fear from behind the three-point line. On Monday, Cal told reporters he expects Henderson to shoot thirteen threes, and because of his play, has the “ultimate green light” from Kennedy to shoot at will. How do you defend that? The Cats will put Archie Goodwin on Henderson, with Ryan Harrow rotating over to give Goodwin relief if he needs it.

— It will be a big task for Archie, who has drawn the ire of the fan base lately, prompting Cal to write a letter to the fans in his defense on Sunday. Cal said that Archie is the first in the gym and the last to leave, so you can’t fault his effort. According to Cal, Archie is in the process of changing the way he plays in order to become the team player the team needs: “He just doesn’t have the right mindset, doesn’t know shot selection, plays out of control, because that’s how he’s always played…Right now, he’s a killer, but sometimes he’s killing us.” Cal once again compared Archie to DeAndre Liggins, who went through a similar transformation, which took him to the NBA. Could guarding Henderson be the challenge that Archie needs to spark his competitive spirit? If so, it would not only lead to a statement win for the Cats, but a statement game for Archie as well.

— Part of that path includes talking back when Henderson inevitably starts yapping. Cal challenged his team to “get mad” and talk back if Henderson talks smack to them. We’ve seen glimpses of that from various players throughout the season, but all of the Cats will need to roar to have a chance at pulling off the upset. My advice? They need to start taking all of Henderson’s insults personally.

— Congrats to Nerlens Noel, who won the SEC Freshman of the Week award for the second straight week. There aren’t enough superlatives for Nerlens, but Andy Kennedy may have had the highest praise for him on Monday when he said that he thinks Nerlens has a better presence around the basket defensively than Anthony Davis. We’ve been taught to shy away from such comparisons, but at this point, they’re impossible to avoid, especially since Nerlens is only six blocks shy of Anthony’s record-breaking pace. In addition, he’s the only player over 6’5″ who ranks in the Top 15 nationally in steals. Sounds like a pretty good candidate for Defensive Player of the Year to me, right UK?

— You know it’s a busy day when the news that Kentucky is renewing its rivalry with North Carolina comes halfway through the night post. On Monday morning, the university announced that starting next season, the Cats will travel to Chapel Hill and host the Heels the season after. The renewal was expected, as Cal wanted to take a year off in order to balance the schedule so that the team will play Louisville at home the same season it plays North Carolina on the road and vice versa. In true Cal form, he tweeted that “We are always looking for great neutral-site games as well.” Ball’s not in your home court, Crean.

FOOTBALL

— There was so much football recruiting news that we have dubbed the day as “Blue Monday.” With signing day little over a week away, Mark Stoops and his staff got two new commitments on Monday: Alexander Montgomery and Marcus McWilson. Montgomery, a three-star wide receiver from Florida, chose the Cats over Louisville. Why? Montgomery visited Louisville this past weekend and said he liked the atmosphere at Kentucky better, and notably, that “they never talk down anybody” (sound familiar?). Montgomery said that despite the critics who say the Cats can’t win in the SEC, he doesn’t buy it: “But we can start something new. This recruiting class is going to start something.

Four-star safety Marcus McWilson echoed those thoughts, telling the Courier-Journal that the pieces are falling into place for something big in Lexington: “We’ve got something going on great. The coaches are definitely ready. The players are ready for more opportunities, ready to make a change in the program and ready to get the job done. We’re going to shock the nation and go from there.” McWilson decommitted from Nebraska last week to follow Vince Marrow to Kentucky, strengthening the program’s ties in football fertile Ohio.

— Can I get a “Stooooooooooooops”?

— If that weren’t enough, Jason Hatcher says he is not visiting Louisville this week and is done taking his visits. Hatcher attended the UK/LSU game on Saturday and is believed to be down to the Cats, the Cards, and USC. If Hatcher commits to Kentucky, part of me wants to grab my UK flag, drive to Louisville, and run a lap around their campus, something I haven’t felt compelled to do since last year’s Final Four. (Of course, fear of being shot, stabbed, or being pelted with Crown Royal bottles keeps me at bay.)

— Blue Monday wasn’t just an exciting step forward for this recruiting class, but it was the beginning of another chapter in the burgeoning Stoops vs. Strong rivalry. While Alexander Montgomery chose the Cats over the Cards, three-star linebacker Keith Kelsey, Jr. did not. Kelsey was down to Kentucky, Louisville, and South Florida, and announced his decision to attend Louisville in quite the dramatic fashion–by putting on a UK hat and saying “I think that I will be attending the University of Kentucky to be a Wildcat. Psyche. I’m a Louisville Cardinal, baby. Go Cards!” First off, who still says “psyche”? That stirred up the rivalry to the point of pure troll infestation in the comments section, and along with Montgomery’s commitment, Hatcher’s decision, and several other recruiting battles, signals the Cats are getting ready to hold up their end of an otherwise lopsided affair.

Right, Jaleel Hytchye?

— We’ve only just begun. There’s still eight days to go until signing day and several more recruits ready to pull the trigger, including James Hearns, Ryan Timmons, Jeff Badet and JoJo Kemp, who will announce his decision on Friday.. I’ve got a “G” and I’m sitting on an “O,” let’s GO!

HUGE day coming up, with the Cats’ big game in Oxford, more recruiting news, and all the Marshall Henderson hate you can handle. Be back soon.

43 Comments for Josh Teater’s Tuesday News & Views

1. Maxwell
    11:16 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. EC
    11:20 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

BBK says Hearns has committed to Kentucky.

3. Matt Jones
    11:21 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

#2 they said that on Saturday as well I believe

4. Duck Butter
    11:22 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Jaleel Hytchye is turning himself into a fan favorite. I love the attitude around UK football right now

5. EC
    11:23 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

3) What do your sources say, Matt?

6. Ridge Runner
    11:29 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

I don’t really follow golf (ironically I now live in Augusta, Ga–strange huh?) –anyway, Teater wearing UK on the course is really awesome. Does he do that often or?

7. BK in Scottsville
    11:38 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Jaleel, right there with ya my friend.

8. Stickman
    11:49 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

Been following the Husker fans on another board, and man are they mad about McWilson. And who can blame them, I’d be mad too if I was a Nebraska fan instead of true blue. We ARE historically bottom feeders in the football world.
    On top of that, one of their players who’s a Cardinal Mooney product has left the team. They’re saying Cardinal Mooney is basically closing its doors as far as Nebraska is concerned.

They’re actually more upset at Pellini’s mismanagement of the team and inability to keep recruits than they are about Marrow “stealing” McWilson. I feel their pain after several years with Choker Phillips.

These are heady times my friends. We are in uncharted territory as far as UK football is concerned. At this rate we will regularly be winning six games a year! (Ok a little joke doesn’t hurt. )

Anyway I’m excited at the direction in which we seem to be headed with Stoops at the helm.

9. insomnicat
    11:49 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

It’s almost midnight and I am so pumped by Mrs TT’s notes that I can’t get to sleep. Please hurry, football season… and thanks, Tyler. keep up the goodwork!

10. hitting the links when I can
    11:50 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

I want to say Thanks to Mrs. Tyler Thompson for the update on Josh Teater. I follow Josh Teater in the news about golf because he is a true blue Kentuckian….Go Cats! Beat the Rebels!

11. nkyukfan29
    11:59 pm January 28, 2013 Permalink

“…while Willie is making progress, they don’t won’t to rush him,”

what? lol

12. UK Freshmen
    12:14 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

What do South Dakota St., North Dakota St., and Indiana St. All have in common?

Answer: They all have higher RPI’s than UK. Whew!!

13. HorseToothJackass
    12:18 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Hardly by far Teater’s best finish, he has a third, fourth and two fifths. Hoping this is the year he breaks through and gets a W. I’ve known him since middle school and he is a genuinely great guy.

14. Blue Haze
    12:23 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Stoooops! I’m sooo looking forward to pigskin for once.

10 & 13 if you follow him like you say, can’t you answer ridge runners question? I’m curious too.

15. me
    12:24 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

12-they also have 8 less championships.

16. HorseToothJackass
    12:26 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Blue Haze- no he does not do that often. Russell is a sponsor of his and I don’t think they would be too happy with him wear anything but one of their shirts.

17. tdogg40330
    12:27 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

16) I dont like you, I bet I’m not the only one either

18. Blue Haze
    12:28 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

17, makes sense. thanks.

19. Stickman
    12:30 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Hey UK Freshmen McWilson is a solid 4 star and better than anybody your boyfriend Cholly Strong got today.

Go back to your pillow-biting power bottom lifestyle.

20. Doesn't look good
    1:11 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

I figured most of you all are probably asleep already, but I still have the excitement of UK football pounding in my chest. However, I came across what looks to be bad news on the Hatcher front. This was his last tweet tonight:

“@ROCK_NATION_6: Fight On world ✌”

I hope I’m reading too much into this and he still favors the Cats, but only time will tell. Hope he makes the right decision for himself and of course, UK. Hatcher will be an absolute stud in Stoops’ defense, I just hope he realizes that. As a Trinity Grad in 2008, I would love to see him wear Blue and White in the fall. Good luck, Jason, BBN wants you to join us! Go Cats!

21. Adam
    2:05 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Don’t forget Mackenzie Alexander. He and Hytyche will be lock-down corners for the future.

22. Otis
    2:30 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

15) wins.
    23) how does that tweet even sort of relate to uk or his recruitment?

23. Bobbum man
    3:57 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Yeah wtf does “fight on world” have to do with UK or any other school?

24. PG502
    4:45 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

@16 Sir Randal Cobb was a 3 star ewww!!!

25. SEC MaNiAc
    5:47 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

16 – Its sad when you try to make fun of UK and fail to realize that 1 and of the 2 recruits was a 4-star Rivals 250 recruit, but go ahead and continue being jealous of Stoops and UK. Its great seeing UL fans scared and jealous of their big brother.

12 – Answer: They have as many basketball championships as UL in the past 25 years…..ouch. In the same time period UK has 6 Final Four’s and 2 national championships. What does UL have? That’s what I thought.

26. .500 atbest
    6:00 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Jealous of UK football haha……now thats something really funny.

27. Catlanata
    6:15 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Charlie Strong is visiting a 4 star DE end who has offers from schools like Miami, Florida and Alabama. So, that tells me uofl has moved on from Hatcher, which is good news for us.

28. fatcat
    6:15 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Archie sucks i don’t care how cal puts it.

29. Stop!
    7:20 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Can we please kill the “I’ve got a G and I’m sitting on an O” thing before other fan bases find out? That could be the dumbest and most embarrasing “slogan” I have ever heard. Please just stop it now before it actually catches on.

30. emlang08
    7:23 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

#13 (“Hardly by far Teater’s best finish, he has a third, fourth and two fifths.”) Didn’t he finish tied for 2nd?

31. SexnNursinHomes
    7:29 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Just goes to show that UK could have been landing these top profile recruits all along. 2013 is as good of a year to start as any.. Got a gram and sitting on an ounce!!! Go Stoops!!!!!!!

32. emlang08
    7:32 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

#16 – Do the Math,
    ~120 FBS schools
    Each school can Scholarship 85 players
    There are only 33 5 star players in 2013
    Not exactly how many outside the 250 are 4 star, leaving there to be 217 4 stars in that group.

Safe to say EVERY FBS school has 3 star recruits.

33. Catlogic15
    7:34 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

28- In that period UK has three championships, not two.

34. Cat Fan in Georgia
    8:20 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

25 and 26 – “Fight On” is Southern California’s fight song.

35. Scoutblue23
    8:29 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Josh Teater was a student of mine in high school and I’ve been watching him play golf since. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy–a true gentleman. So happy for him.

36. Stitch Jones
    8:48 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Why do we have to hope that our players “talk back” to Henderson??? That’s what I don’t understand. I am your average low skill white player but I don’t care who you are. You start talking a bunch f crap and I am giving it right back and more. I don’t understand why this team has no fire in its belly! I guarantee you Jamal Magloir would have already kicked a few A$$es on this team. That, is what disappoints me the most about this team. They have no guts! Nerlens would be the only exception to this…

37. STUMP
    8:59 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

8 – I doubt Cardinal Mooney will Close it doors to Nebraska just for the fact that Pelini (sp) and The whole Stoops family are the reasons that their school is full of so much D-1 talent. Coach Pelini as well as all the Stoops run a Champion Camp for all the kids in Youngstown every year, and as one of Mooney’s most Famous Alumnus I am sure they will not shut him out. Now I am sure that this years Champion Camp will be interesting with McWilson dropping Nebraska and picking the Cats might make the conversations awkward. With Stoops being an alumnus of Mooney as well, I think you that live in Kentucky are really going to enjoy the level of talent he is going to bring in from Northeast Ohio.

38. Stickman
    9:42 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

37–I don’t know all the ins and outs of Cardinal Mooney politics and who has the better “in” at that school, I’m just repeating what the Husker fans are saying. They seem to think the Stoops family is a more Cardinal Mooney “blue blood family” if you will, what with them being alumnus, and therefore Stoops will have a better shot at players from that school than Pelini has.

39. LOL
    9:48 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

That ProspectCard D-bag has deleted that tweet! LOL, he got owned!!!

40. mccrack
    10:11 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

True L’ville class.. Love it.

41. STUMP
    10:52 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

Pelini is an alumnus as well and they are good friends, with multiple family members still playing at the school. You cannot watch a Mooney game without hearing Stoops and Pelini on the tackle.

42. Managing Expectations
    11:51 am January 29, 2013 Permalink

If Hatcher really tweeted “Fight On” last night, then I suspect his is USC bound. If not, you have to wonder why he would do that. Anyway, whatever the young man decides, you have to give Stoops and his staff credit for making it a difficult decision for him. If he does not go to UL, then that will be a small consolation prize.

43. HorseToothJackass
    4:55 pm January 29, 2013 Permalink

30- yes, it is his best finish, but to say it is by far his best finish isn’t accurate. That makes it sound like he has had no success.