Jorts is thankful for Billy G; Tolbert wants him gone

He was forced to sit in a bathroom stall and ride home from Vanderbilt in the equipment truck, but Josh Harrellson doesn’t have any ill will towards Billy Gillispie. It’s been a rough week or two for the former Kentucky coach, but ESPN.com’s Jason King dug up an old quote from Jorts that shows not all of Clyde’s players despised him.

“Coach Gillispie is a very smart coach,” said Harrellson, adding that he still keeps in touch with his former coach. “He knew basketball. I don’t think he had the best way of teaching it. But I’m very thankful for what he did. He made all of us mentally tough. He made all three of us [Harrellson, Darius Miller and DeAndre Liggins] be able to do things we’ve never been able to do before. It’s probably why we’re here today, because of how mentally tough he made us.”

Unfortunately, Josh Harrellson’s opinion of Billy Gillispie can’t save his future at Texas Tech. That future is in serious jeopardy and it took another hit today when Texas Tech’s star player, Jordan Tolbert, told Andy Katz that he doesn’t want to play for Tech if Gillispie returns.

“I don’t,” Tolbert said. “I don’t want to play for him if he comes back.”

Texas Tech athletic direct Kirby Hocutt plans to meet with Gillispie early this week.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Jorts is thankful for Billy G; Tolbert wants him gone

1. Dear IU and UL, We are National Champs; you are not. The end.
    2:20 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

BCG will likely never coach again, at any level. Here’s hoping he invested some of his money with Fidelity this time.

2. KYTurtle
    2:21 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Sent a tweet to J King asking if Perry, Joe Crawford, Jasper, Harrellson, or P. Patterson were contacted, he replied that Crawford and Patterson declined to comment.

3. Just Sayin'
    2:33 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

wonder if any part of his settlement with UK included a clause that no player or administrator could say anything negative about gillispie publicly beyond “he wasn’t the right fit”-type statements.

4. BCG Suckes
    2:40 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

This is a obvious case of try to be PC. You didn’t see any of them taking up for him when he got shit canned. I think I remember AC Law saying he wanted to quit all threw his senior year.

5. bmt22033
    2:41 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

“It’s probably why we’re here today, because of how mentally tough he made us.” Wow. I can understand what Jorts means here but at the same time, you are where you are more because of Calipari than Gillespie.

6. Stan
    2:50 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Josh,You can thank Calapari,not BCG for getting you where you are.Fire his ass and let him fade into the texas sunset.

7. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    3:00 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Drunk Billy Clyde brought Jorts here…..Cal made something out of him.

8. me
    3:29 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Keywords:”old quote from Jorts”. If that’s all the original article used, they took him out of context. I doubt he gives BCG credit over Cal nowadays.

9. Big Blue Coming at You
    3:48 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure there’s some appreciation for BCG getting Jorts out of his old school and to Kentucky where he ultimately got to be coached by Cal and get drafted in the NBA.

10. Beef Curtains
    5:27 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Is that a line beard on Jorts!!? I blame BCG!!!

11. john4uk
    5:41 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Josh was being nice.

12. jill
    7:02 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

lol yall Jorts got line bread

13. jim
    8:18 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Man up Billy you piece of crap,and at least meet with your employers!Sick my ass,sick a-hole!

14. Some Guy in Kentucky
    9:11 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Jorts has always showed class, I would not blame him for blasting BillyG.

15. Harrellson's beard
    9:33 pm September 10, 2012 Permalink

Why would Jorts go out of his way after the Final Four run to say something bad about BCG on his own? How many of his former players before this said bad things about him in interviews? I’m pretty sure these aren’t anywhere near his true feelings on the guy that used to make him sit in the bathroom stall during halftime.