drake-randle

Jason Jordan, the man who went hat and suit shopping with Julius Randle yesterday, is sticking by his prediction that Randle will commit to Kentucky. The USA Today High School Sports writer made an appearance on Kentucky Sports Radio radio this morning and said his opinion hasn’t wavered since September. That goes along with what we believe: Randle made up his mind long, long ago right after his official visit to Kentucky on September 15. No one else really stood a chance.

Jordan also called rumors of animosity between Randle and the Harrisons “laughably untrue.”

Come on down.

Article written by Drew Franklin

59 Comments for Jordan still predicting Kentucky for Randle, calls Harrison beef rumors “laughably untrue”

1. bdowne
    11:09 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Please be true!!! Also, what time is his commitment? Any word on a live blog?

2. Scott in Nashville
    11:09 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

annoucement at Noon EST

3. Crizzle
    11:18 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Matt jones seems to be more informed than the recruiting “experts” who just name a new favorite after every visit that goes well.

4. ChicagoCat
    11:19 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Sooo, I am trying to count the roster next year and it appears something’s gotta give. If we assume Nerlens is a pro (not 100%), by my count that leaves 7 scholarship players on next year’s roster and with 6 already committed, Randle would make 7 and put us over the limit by 1.

Considering Cal’s recent remarks that everyone on the team might be “4 year players”, is the thought now that everyone returns? Does this mean Polson will have to give up his scholarship (which I think he’s earned)? Just wondering out loud.

5. I Say
    11:23 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

4 I think Alex and maybe Willie are the only ones that stay. And I think if Alex does stay we dont get Wiggins, which wouldnt make me that upset. A sophmore Alex Poythress would be pretty good.

6. bosshoga
    11:25 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

I want to personally thank “JT” for getting that laughably ridiculous thread started yesterday that reached its zenith of comical stupidity last night with reports from all kinds entertaining connections to the current Queen Mother of our depressed fan-base, Carolyn. At least a few us had some good fun with that last night, and we have you “JT” to thank for getting it started with your crackpot post.

7. Tommy Pickles
    11:25 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

4- Harrow will be gone at the end of this semester. Also Polson may go back to walk-on status. Hood could do the same.

8. ThankfulCat
    11:25 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

I would love to see Poythress stay 4 years and mature and turn into an absolute beast and help lead us to 3 straight titles. He seems like a good kid but just needs to grow up and be more consistent at his craft

9. philly cat
    11:26 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Polson would have to give up his scholarship. It has always been a year-to-year commitment as he is still a walk on. Cal and Robic discussed this.

10. asdf
    11:26 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

7, I heard that Hood is on course to graduate, so he may not be back anyway.

11. Noel
    11:27 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know why people keep bringing up anything about the Harrison twins. Even if Randle were to go somewhere else, it would have absolutely nothing to do with that. I think this is a two horse race between Cal and Bill Self.

12. Tommy Pickles
    11:29 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

I’ve also been hearing that the staff has told Wiltjer to work harder than he’s ever worked over the summer or he needs to transfer. They are tired of him taking things so lightly and not working harder.

13. Matt
    11:30 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

7. I don’t think Cal would ever ask Hood to take walk-on status unless he offered to do it on his own. I know all scholarships are one year contracts but since Hood came in on scholarship as a Freshman I think he will keep his no matter what. Polson came in as a preferred walk-on though so he only has a scholarship because there are spots open and he has known that since he made the decision to come here so he will probably go back to walk-on status next year.

14. Michael F. Jox
    11:31 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

#4 – This is assuming that Archie and Noel go pro and Polson goes back to being a walk-on. Wiltjer, Hood, Poythress, WCS, Harrow, Harrison, Harrison, Lee, Johnson, Willis, Young, Randle?, and Wiggins?

That’s 13 right there. And a pretty damn good looking 13. I also think Cal was looking at Hawkins just in case Harrow decides to transfer. If so, he will get an offer.

15. Litig8tr
    11:31 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

No roster problem for next year. WCS will go pro. Goodwin probably will too, although he shouldn’t. Cal is going to run off several. Poythress needs to transfer. He would get no PT next year. Harrow needs to transfer too.

16. I Say
    11:32 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

17. Tommy Pickles
    11:34 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

13- Yes he would. Hood will be a fifth year graduate. If scholarships are needed Hood and Polson will be asked to walk-on. there is also the possibility that hood goes to a school like EKU as a grad transfer.

18. Matt
    11:34 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

4. Everything you said is true but I think it is safe to assume that Cal and his staff know that a few of the guys will either transfer or go pro and that is why they are still recruiting. They know how many scholarships they can offer. Just trust them.

19. CATS
    11:35 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

When does Randle announce?

20. Good grief people, get real...
    11:35 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Jarrod Polson IS A WALK-ON!!! There was enough leftover scholarships last year that allowed Cal to give/reward him one. They are given on a one year basis. KENTUCKY WILL NOT WIN WITH POLSON’S TALENT LEVEL AT ALL 5 POSITIONS ON THE FLOOR! He is at best a 5-10 minute player. He was basically recruited as a practice player. Don’t get me wrong, I love the kids heart!! Wish we could have duplicated it in Poythress and others this year. But 10 times out of 10, I’m going to give a scholarship to Randle, Wiggins, Young, Harrisons, Lee, Johnson type talent year after year because I want to win, not have feel good stories of homegrown kids! I want to have the most talented team on the floor. If our homegrowns ARE the top talent, GREAT! But in this case, it’s not. He goes back to a walk-on and so does Hood in my opinion.

21. RahRah
    11:37 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

#8, I’m not one to criticize our own players, but NO WAY would I pick Poythress over Wiggins after what happened this year. Like the kid but………..Wiggins, you know? Seems most think we are no longer in the running though.

22. Matt
    11:38 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

17. I know that could happen I was just saying I don’t think he would do that to a kid that came here because he was offered a scholarship as a freshman. Unless Cal told Hood behind the scenes that he could lose it in the future if the roster got crowded. Running off a scholarship player because there is no room just sounds like a Pitino or Crean move to me and I would like to think Cal cares too much about the kids to do that. I guess he could make sure Hood gets an academic scholarship to make up for it though. I trust Cal to do what is best for the players regardless of how it affects him or his recruiting class.

23. Dr. Tom
    11:40 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Is it Friday already?? The comments today are more hilarious than the NJT series:)

24. Tommy Pickles
    11:40 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Also Wiggins will not be at UK. I say mark my words on this. Also Julius Randle will have a much bigger impact on the college game than Wiggins.

25. Tommy Pickles
    11:43 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

22- Cal didn’t recruit Jon Hood to UK. Scholarships are for four years and Hood is graduating in a couple months. If hood returns for a fifth year he will most likely be asked to walk-on. Just accept it man.

26. Al B. Frank
    11:43 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Can’t wait for the UK Revenge Tour next season! It’s going to be epic!

27. paducahfan
    11:46 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

I’d like to agree with 8 but can’t. Not about Poythress, but the Cal system. There will be years when we jell and may win it all, but I see the yearly disruptions as too great to really produce a dynasty (like 96-98 UK, even though Rick didn’t coach 98).

28. New Wildcat Lodge
    11:47 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

UK male students: if Randle and co. also come to UK, then do not bring your attractive girlfriends near me. They will leave you in a heartbeat for a good time with the eventual 2014 champs.

29. greg
    11:48 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

My take, a repost: (people stop worrying about the scholarship situation and leave that to the coahes) -I kinda agree with Pickles on Wiggins, he prob goes to FSU, but if he wants to come, we can work it out. This scenario would even allow Polson to keep a scholly, but when it comes down to it, he will be a walk on if the schollarship is needed. It is also possible that Poythress would go ahead and go pro, and Harrow is by no means a lock to stay at UK, could opt to transfer. I think he could be a capable back up, but he knows he won’t ever start at UK again so he may opt to transfer again. BUT in once again..We shouldn’t worry about scholarships, we have plenty of flexibility to stay at 13 or less for next yeart. And whoever said Nerlens isn’t 100% going pro this year….Don’t kid yourself. Based on current projections, I’d say WCS and Archie will likely still go this year as well.

Greg Says:
    March 19th, 2013 at 11:14 am
    So the lineup would look like this:
    Aaron Harrison
    Andrew Harrison
    James Young
    Julius Randle
    D. Johnson
    Marcus Lee
    Ryan Harrow
    K Wiltjer
    A Poythress
    D Willis
    J Hood
    J Polson
    ??Wiggins or D Hawkins

Walk ons-Lanter, Long, Malone
    assuming Nerlens, WCS and Archie go pro, and Polson willing to go back towalk on status, we could potentially sign all these players (ie both Wiggins and Hawkins. Obviously Andrew gets the 13th though if he wants to come.)
    That would be a really large team numbers wise for Cal but we would have a ton of depth. I don’t think Ryan is a starting guard but he could be capable backup.

30. Mobilecat
    11:49 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Yea the elite 8, FF, NC run was just smoke and mirrors.

31. greg
    11:50 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

Pickles, technically scholarships are 1 year agreements, that’s why Cal usually rewards a walk on or two with extra scholly because he has always had extra in every season since he got here.

32. coldpringmike
    11:51 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

All this speculating is so much fun. Remember when we were happy to just be in the running for a top 25 to top 50 player. Can see Wiltjer, Hood transferring with Hood staying in state at a D-2 school after graduating from UK. Wiltjer may head back west. Polson, because of his love for Kentucky just may give up his final year and open up a spot. Would love to see Poythress stay and give Cal another year to work with him, to much talent there to give up on.

33. greg
    11:53 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

At any rate we will have talent and depth next season, so things look bright.

34. twnky
    11:56 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

#25 Scholarships are a ONE year deal not four.

35. Matt
    11:57 am March 19, 2013 Permalink

25. Scholarships are not for 4 years. They are year to year. How else could Polson have been a walk-on/scholarship/scholarship/and then potentially walk-on again next year? He may not have recruited him but he evaluated him and decided he was good enough to stay when he got here. If he hadn’t he would have let him out of his LOI and “suggested” that he go somewhere else like he did to alot of BCG’s players.

I am not arguing with what you said because I know you might be right. I am just saying I feel like Cal wouldn’t do that to him. That’s all.

36. greg
    12:02 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

come on up (from Texas), Come on over/down From Canada/Huntington, WV and go ahead and come on up once the scholarship situation is cleared Mr. Hawkins. Would love to have a second in state guy in this class. I wonder what impact Willis can have in he future with the program, probably won’t see much time next season.

37. bbr
    12:03 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

“12 I heard kind of the same thing. I heard that Harrow is for sure transfering because him and Cal just do not like each other. I also heard rumblings that Wiltjer may transfer too. This is coming one of the teams managers.”
    You are both full of it. For one, team managers don’t talk. They are essentially threatened with their life if they do. Secondly, Wiltjer’s sister is coming to UK on a volleyball scholarship next year.

38. Coach
    12:14 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

As a teacher & basketball coach for over 20 yrs. I have laughed over the last few weeks at all you idiots. Please don’t ever teach, coach, or try to run your own business. Its obvious most of you never played at a high level.

39. Mc
    12:18 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

#14-MJF) Well done. I expected more typos.

40. Mc
    12:19 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

Aha. Michael F. Jox. Nevermind lol.

41. 2014 title depends on at least 1 of these dudes
    12:27 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

How sad is it that the 2012-2013 scrubs are playing at Robert Morris please Julius come to UK tom if not we will not win it next year mark my words I love the cats but this years team is a disgrace and if you all give Cal all the praise for last year then he deserves a piece of humble shit pie for this year!

42. 2014 title depends on at least 1 of these dudes
    12:37 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

I just got a text from a dude asking me if I was going to the game tonight because me and my dad follow UK to where ever they play in march. To all you 2012-2013 selfish ass UK players you guys should be so ashamed to not be able to give over 100% for 30+ games and if I hear coachbs Cal say 1 more time he likes his team wtf is there to like to ALL UK players this year you are all 110% failures and I hope you get blown out tonight

43. Hey Coach
    12:40 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

38. P.E. teacher by any chance?

44. UKBlue1!
    12:40 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

The scholarship issue is simple math Malone, Polson, Long are all walkons. Beckham and Mays graduate/eligibility is over. Noel is not coming back. Even if calipari signs 2 more he will have room because it is unlikely WCS, Poythress and Goodwin all will return. There are 13 scholarships per year unless you have yours reduced by the NCAA. Wiltjer is not going to be asked to transfer. He is better than 3/4 of the team. Hood might be the only one because he graduates in the spring. He can tranfer and play immediately but Calipari wont force him. IF Harrow leaves it will be his own mistake.

45. Rei
    12:55 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

Calipari said something about some guys coming back, and I’m sure he isn’t just talking about Harrow and Wiltjer. I’m sure he’s talking about players who matter. Like Alex Poythress.

46. KW Blue
    12:56 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

12 – This is only half true. Here is the real truth:

– Wiltjer wants more minutes.
    – Wiltjer has approached CAL and the staff about getting more minutes and wants to start next year.
    – The staff has told Wiltjer he needs to put more work in to make this happen.

Thats all. Wiltjer transferring has NOT in any fashion been suggested to him by the staff or CAL. This is a 100% fabrication. Now Wiltjer may transfer in order to get more minutes and start somewhere else, but it won’t be because the staff told him to transfer or suggested it to him as an option. This is NOT true.

47. El
    12:58 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

#43, are you special education?

48. Elliott Howard
    1:19 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

All basketball scholarships are for one year!! It is up to the head coach to keep or let go players every year. It’s just like real life, perform or get replaced.

49. keith. kennedy
    1:38 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

I think that WCS,Archie Goodwin,Alexs Poythress, Ryn Horrow,Kyle Wilcher, they should comebackand bang wit this new team that is coming n. They all shoud stay for 3 years.

50. Bleed Blue
    1:47 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

Randle decides tomorrow at 1ET not noon, whoever commented that is just stupid. I’m getting tired of saying this, but I told you he was going to commit to UK. Also I’m getting quite tired saying Poythress, WCS, and Goodwin as of today are coming back, Archie is the only one I was told that will probably end up leaving. I was told Harrow will be transferring, but it is not set in stone. I was told months ago that Hood was transferring, but I haven’t heard anything else since, but I will ask. Wiltjer is not transferring that is just asinine to think that. As right now remember things change in recruiting, but as of today, like I have said several times, the roster next year will be: Twins, Wiggins, Randle, WCS, Poythress, Goodwin, Young, Lee, Johnson, Willis, Wiltjer, Polson/Hood/Harrow for last scholarship spot if Goodwin doesn’t leave and Hood and Harrow don’t transfer, if they do, then we add Hawkins and Polson receives the last scholly.

51. Bradley
    2:11 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

50. Wiggins isn’t talking. Your full of shit saying he’s coming. Matt’s equally full of it saying no. There is no info to have on Wiggins. None. Stop guessing. Everyone. Please.

52. guano
    2:19 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

50. stop acting like you know anything, you know nothing. you will find out when the rest of us do. if you say you’re tired of saying it, then stop saying it. You are not near as tired of saying it as we are tired of hearing you say it. you remind me of the jerk that was on here last year –talent evaluator. he knew nothing either, and finally proved it by missing about 90 % of his predictions.
    bla, bla, bla.

53. Go Cats Go
    2:21 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

Now they are saying the announcement will be at 1:15 on ESPNU

54. brain
    2:23 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

How about never using the phrase “come on down” again.

55. brain
    2:26 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

46= BS

56. Cats
    2:53 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

41… Try forming sentences and people might takes your opinions seriously. But probably not.

57. Dc cat
    6:30 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

15- poythress needs to transfer? I totally disagree. He was probably overrated coming out of high school or at let we as a fan base had expectations that were too high. But, he seems by all accounts to be a good kid/student and he clearly has talent. Why not instead just caulk him up as being a more normal freshman who needs time to mature and develop? Hell, look at Harrison Barnes at unc years 1 vs 2! “Hey, Cal, please recruit some non 1 and dones!” “Omg, this freshman is awful and needs to transfer!” What a bipolar bunch…

58. Coach
    6:39 pm March 19, 2013 Permalink

#43, no, I’m the coach that cut you because you were terrible & wore blue jeans to the tryout.

59. calipari
    11:07 am March 20, 2013 Permalink

Who cares what recruits we get? We still lost in the first round of the NIT and Louisville will probably win the national championship. We suck and only care about recruiting now