Jonathan Lipnicki’s Monday News and Views

I consider myself to be a young person. Even though I have passed the age of 30, partially due to my job (in which it is very hard to feel like an adult) and partially due to the company I keep (a collection of relatively immature people), I rarely if ever feel that I am aging at the rate that I actually am. But then occasionally, certain tidbits of information cannot help but make me feel old. One was my realization this year that the incoming Freshmen at UK were each born in 1994…two years into the Clinton presidency. The notion that these players were all conceived after the Christian Laettner hit his devastating shot in Philly is almost more than I can process. Similarly, age hit me again tonight when I realized that former “Jerry McGuire” actor Jonathan Lipnicki is turning 22 years old today. You may remember Lipnicki from the movie, due to his spiky, Gary Parrish-esque hair and his tendency to say “oh so cute” lines at an alarmingly high rate. And if you do, you probably don’t think it was that long ago. But time is catching up on us people. Back then Renee Zellweger was hot, Cuba Gooding was a star and Tom Cruise was considered normal. Now, none of those are true and Lipnicki is a full-on grown-up. I tried to search the internet to see what he is doing now and it mostly seems to be “B” level movies and taking his shirt off. So while he might not be a star now, he once was and to think that little person is now old enough to be a veteran on a Calipari-coached team…well it is a little mind-blowing.

To the news:

BASKETBALL:

— It is time for the beginning of actual games, as the Blue-White game takes place this Wednesday and we get ready for the best time of the year, college basketball season. The unknowns about this Kentucky team are as great as any in the history of the program. As Calipari has reminded us often, there is not one player on this team that has ever started a game for the Blue and White. That is an insane fact and one that is hard to imagine. But it is reality for this group and one that we all need to expect. My hope is that fans temper their expectations dramatically with this team. When the season starts, it will be the weakest of all the groups that Calipari has had at Kentucky. As the year progresses, it has the potential to develop into a national title contender, but the road to get there is going to be long and arduous. How this team will score, defend and even the system that it will run, is still up in the air and the coaching staff is having to fill a great deal of time trying to understand what they have. We will learn much more about the team this week, but much of what we learn could make some folks nervous. But just sit back and enjoy it…this is a team that will grow before your eyes, but its initial height may be much lower than you currently imagine.

— The college basketball landscape that this team will face is starting to shape up after another weekend of kickoff festivities. The team that I think is the best in the land (as much as I hate to say it, Indiana) got started in Bloomington with its “Hoosier Hysteria” and the Indiana fans (a pretty difficult lot to like in general) are at a fever pitch. Here in the city where I reside, Louisville fans are already hanging their third banner with a nervous optimism that is kind of amusing to see. The Cardinal fans know that if Rick Pitino does not win it this year, he will never win it in Louisville. The Cardinals have 11 players who can play and while watching them today it occurred to me that it could genuinely be said that they have “two of everything.” While I don’t think he is their best player, Peyton Siva is their most important. But he is not elite, and neither is anyone else on the Louisville roster. Thus this Louisville team will be a test of the old idea that you can win with lots of good, but no great, pieces. I am not sure that is possible anymore but this year we will find out. And whatever occurs with either IU or UL, we should pay attention for this reason. If these are the two best teams in the land as many believe, then a Kentucky team that can compete with them can compete with anyone. And by the end of the year, I think the Cats will be right there knocking on the Hoosier and Cardinal doorsteps.

FOOTBALL:

— I am going to be honest here for a second. When I left my house to go to the rather cold Commonwealth Stadium on Saturday night, this was my attitude on the drive:

However while at the game, I ended up as pleased with the UK performance as in any game this season. A team that is decimated by a lethal combination of inexperience, injuries and negativity has rallied around itself and produced a solid game on Saturday night. The Cats came in as a 27 point underdog, but played toe to to with Georgia and gave them everything they could handle until the final moments. In the end, the Kentucky secondary simply had no answer for Georgia’s passing attack and the injury to Jalen Whitlow, which left him out of the game during the third quarter, prevented Kentucky from putting enough points up to win the game, However three positives emerged from the proceedings:

Young Talent: Kentucky will have the players next year to be competitive. The young receivers, Linebackers and Secondary are each improving every week and are setting a foundation that will make the team potentially quite good next year. If this team is going to go South, having young players get important reps in the process, is a good the best possible option.

Jalen Whitlow: While we have no idea what will happen next year at Quarterback with Max Smith and Patrick Towles returning, we do know this…Whitlow can play. He is a great athlete who is elusive in his runs and seems to make good decisions. Is he a future star SEC Quarterback? I don’t know. Will he even stay at Quarterback during his entire UK career? I don’t know. But I do know he has signs to be a great player in some form for the Cats…and that is a positive.

Fans: It wasn’t a great crowd that showed up in Commonwealth. That we know. But the ones that did come, made noise and helped make the environment exciting. Clearly a lot of UK football fans have given up on the team this year, but more importantly, a lot have not. And it was good to see those people out on Saturday, pulling as hard as possible for a UK win.

— With all of that said, I don’t think the big picture has changed. Absent a tremendous finish (4-0 or maybe 3-1), Joker Phillips likely won’t be the coach next season. You judge a program and coach on his overall body of work. That simply hasn’t been acceptable this year. The last four games could conceivably change that…but it hasn’t been changed just yet.

Tomorrow we start another week on the radio by recapping the game and picking the contestants for the KSR Dating Game. It should be much fun so tune in and join us.

Article written by Matt Jones

50 Comments for Jonathan Lipnicki’s Monday News and Views

1. kes
    11:07 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

and if one person showed up, it was one too many. Idiots keep buying tickets mitch has no reason to get rid of the joke.

2. mocha
    11:11 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Need to accept.

3. BlueTexan
    11:14 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Early line is Missouri -15.5. Fire Barnfart for listening to his mentor (Brooks) and hiring Joker. Hire a PROFESSIONAL AD and allow him/her the job of firing the Joker, his woeful staff and recruiting a real HC. I’m tired of this circus called UK “football”…the players deserve a better opportunity to grow and learn. This has to stop.

4. nope
    11:25 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Matt, with the exception of MAYBE the first couple of games, I don’t think we should temper any expectations for this team.

5. tyson
    11:28 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

You can’t get excited about us keeping it close against Georgia. UK always plays better against Georgia due to all of the players on our roster there. Which leads me to the question, why can’t Joker motivate them to play that way every game?

Doesn’t matter. Joker is gone after this season. Petrino is NOT getting hired (as long as Mitch is still here to do the hiring). But UK is willing to write a BIG check to whoever comes.

6. ltylerj
    11:29 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Lol, it took me a good 30 seconds to see what I was looking for in that GIF. I kept checking out the girl picking something on her face and I didn’t get it. Then I saw the f bomb.

7. goUKats
    11:33 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

UK winninh against any of their remaining games would take a miracle.Mossouri is a 15 point favorite,and forget about Vandy or the “Orange”.Samford is 5 and 3,and will hungry to prove themselves against an SEC team,and UK will probably take them lightly.So here is one Cat fan that is not expecting much for the reamainder of this season,nor any season as long as Joker and his crew are around.

8. Big Whoop
    11:35 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, UK kept it close because of crowd noise. We’re supposed to be an SEC team so we should have young talent just like the big boys. We’re also supposed to have talent in the junior and senior classes. Oh Wait! Joker ran off most of the 2009 recruiting class. News flash! Joker will be the head coach next year. Some are even calling for a contract extension since we played UGA so close and we took WKU into OT.

9. The Captain
    11:50 pm October 21, 2012 Permalink

Matt, as always a very good analysis on your part on both sports. In football, the people left going to commonwealth are the truest of fans, that will be there no matter what and will make the most noise and cheer positively for the team. I,like you was dreading it a bit, because I didn’t want to see them get crushed, because it hurts. But there is always hope and they are doing what they can with what they have, and starting to minimize mistakes. Better clock management would be a plus too when we are behind. We finally scored a touchdown in the first quarter, and it seemed to get everything going. It did offer much hope for the future.
    Matt, we are enjoying the pregame shows. Then you do a very good analysis of the game to start off the post game show, but boy those callers on the post game show are just sad. I’m sorry you have to put up with that. Please keep laughing it off, because you know that is not the majority. I don’t think I could listen to them anymore.
    As for basketball, I hope we can somehow live off some of the raw talent early, as it would sure suck to lose to maryland and duke.
    Thanks for all you do and keep up the good work.

10. Stop the excuses
    12:50 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

The post about Kansas state was enlightening but another story that is even more of a surprise is the fact oregon state is undefeated (no that’s not a type-o, Oregon state not oregon). But all the negative downer fans want to say we can’t compete with BCS and SEC schools because we aren’t a powerhouse with tradition in a state with 5 star athletes. But the powerhouse, recruiting Mecca of OREGON STATE can compete, please. The problem isn’t a stadium or funding or the lack of recruits in ky. Heck we DON’T EVEN GET THE TALENTED KIDS THE STATE PRODUCES. Look at te kids coming out of Louisville this year. It comes down to coaching. You don’t have to pay 5 million to a guy to get him here. 2.5 million would be in the top 30 of college salaries most coordinators and lower level HC would take that deal every day of the week. Before cal espn said that the uk BASKETBALL job wasn’t desirable because we weren’t good and had to high of expectations then we won a title 3 years later. Have some standards stop accepting mediocre at best and pay a REAL coach to win at uk. hire kirby smart.

11. Stop the excuses
    1:03 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Actually the 2.5 million would be in the top 25 of college coaches and for those of you who don’t know already ukaa pays joker 1.85 million a year. That’s good enough for the second lowest salary in the SEC. The lowest is Vanderbilt. Sometimes when you get a coach for cheap $$$, you get cheap coach and he is showing it on the field every Saturday.

12. CM Newton
    1:15 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

I wish people would leave barnhart alone, for one we have Never been great at football, he brought in Rich Brooks which ended up working out, and him showing a little loyalty to Joker dosent bother me, our baseball is better than it has ever been same goes for Womens basketball and i think Mens basketball is doing pretty well also, only a idiot would say fire Barnhart, name an athletic program that is having the overall success UK is?

13. brink
    1:24 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Hey 10 who exactly is Oregon state competing against? Because you seem to just dismiss the fact that UK is in the sec and not the pac 12. O st s recruiting class for last year would have been only above ours and ole miss. How are those 2 teams doing in the sec?. Don’t get me wrong joker has to go and we need a good coach but to think you can waive a magic wand and fix this mess is ludicrous.

14. Stop te excuses
    1:35 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

13) hey brink i was joking about how good the oregon state recruits were and I’m not saying the PAC-12 is the SEC or that uk can compete EVERY year for the SEC east but we can and should do better. By the way oregon state beat Wisconsin(who might go to the rose bowl because OSU & penn state are in eligible) and BYU. The same BYU that threatened a top ranked Norte dame. So lets compare non conference schedules so far. Wins vs Wisconsin and BYU or a win vs kent state and a loss vs WKU. By the way ole miss has 4 wins, uk has 1. Joker is the problem and a new coach is the cure.

15. Snoop Lion
    1:59 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Did someone write an article about me? I’m down in Jamaica smoking everything in sight!

I wonder if they show the Wildcatizzles on the telezille down here? Them Cats are hot.

16. tdogg40330
    3:53 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

IU best in the land?? lol, we’ll see about that. They’ll be good, but they can’t
    play every game at home. Lets see if they’re good enough to win 6 games in
    a row on neutral courts ….

17. The Colonel
    3:54 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

The Captain is wrong.

The people left at Commonwealth Stadium are the morons who finance incompetence, ineptness. They are the fools who make 60 years of terrible, stultifying, life sucking football possible at Kentucky.

18. BPsycho
    4:23 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Rye now, both of em, what the left girls sayin, in da face!

19. Ms Lex
    5:34 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Looks like Matt got the memo.

20. Joe
    6:05 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Even thought UK will go 2-10 this year, why do I get the feeling that Barnhart will bring Joker back? And then Joker may go 3-9 next year and Mitch will extend him because of the improvement. We may be stuck with Joker for the next 3 or 4 years – waiting for that miracle to happen.

21. ribin
    6:14 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

We (fans who still attend games) come to support the kids — not the coaches. They deserve it — they are the ones playing, practicing and sadly have to read and hear from the garbage being said about them — and their coaches. If Joker goes (he should) -the $$ – I don’t feel sorry for him. Being a good guy doesn’t make a good coach. Coaches seem to have figured out what the guys can do — and added that element – instead of trying to do what they couldn’t and always talking about how little of the playbook they knew and how young they were. End of excuses — next man up—

22. putinrichie
    6:19 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

1 – Ticket sales will not be the driving factor in getting a new coach. At the end of the day, wins and losses will be the ultimate deciding factor. I think if we get to 4-8 than Joker might be retained, but anything less and he will be out.

23. RealCatsFan
    6:20 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

What #10 said…

And while I’m at it, I can’t believe you used this obscure kid actor for your Monday News & Views when it is also Jeff Goldblum’s 60th birthday, a much more accomplished and well known actor.

24. BPsycho
    6:48 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

#23 **** Jeff Goldblum, man!

25. Unknown Fan
    7:18 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Matt”moral victory”Jones it is obvious BarnFart has read you the riot act for you to have written that rot.What happened?? He throw a stick thru your bicycle spokes???

26. Disappointed
    8:10 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Might’ve won the game if Whitlow didn’t sit out so long due to a headache. Come on, man, you play one game a week. This is your chance to prove yourself. Man up and get on the field. A headache? When did football players become such pu$$!e$?

27. Nervously optimistic card fan
    8:26 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Louisvilles depth and defense make them elite. This team is already miles ahead of the 09 team that was an overall one seed. They are better at every single position. And have no head cases to worry about. This team is way more balanced and barring injury to Peyton chane and gorgui combined is elite. I think chane behanan is the most indispensable player on louisvilles roster. But Harrell may be to his level if his jumper comes along quickly enough. Injuries are the only thing that can keep this Louisville from cutting down the nets in march. Maybe the best defensive team in history. 🙂 I think Louisville may not lose a step next year either unless Gorgui goes pro. But uk will definitely be more loaded next year without a doubt as long as wiggins or randle signs up. More Nervously optimistic about our Bcs chances than whether or not we hang another banner. Good time to be a card fan.

28. cats11
    8:37 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

You had a surprised reaction while driving to Commonwealth?

29. Gary
    8:43 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

I’m beginning to get the impression that the phrase, “Absent a tremendous finish (4-0 or maybe 3-1), Joker Phillips likely won’t be the coach next season” is going to be a recurring theme on this site. Only each week the margin of acceptable will continue to drop…next week, we’ll hear how Joker Phillips will stick around with a “tremendous” finish the likes of which have never been equaled…you know…like (3-0 or 2-1). Enjoy the UK ad buy money KSR!

30. Big Whoop
    8:59 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Wins and Losses mean nothing when it comes to UK Football because the Losses are far more numerous than the Wins. Success for UK is defined by playing a whole game and being “competitive” and/or keeping the score close. Is that the standard for UK basketball? If it were, we would’ve kept Clyde. UK fans have been reduced to the point that anything positive is something to hang a hat on. Those who want better are fair-weather fans or Republicans. For me, there is a similarity between our current federal adminsitration and the UK football regime. Both have failed, but they’re trying. So, I suppose that means something to some people.

31. OU football fan here
    9:03 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

I love the video clip of the Texas fan saying “f—“. That was right after a fumble and I think we were already up 14-17 at that time. It was hilarious. I said, “I bet her mama is proud.”

32. You had me at Hell no
    9:09 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

I could watch that gal on the left all day.

33. OU football fan here
    9:11 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Well, I guess we were up 31 at that time. I thought it was closer than that. Still hilarious.

34. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    9:24 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Renee Zellweger is still hot.

35. Whats up with football
    9:37 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Must have been at a different game than you Saturday night Matt.

You really think the receivers are getting better? How about the total miss/drop on the 50 yard pass to #9 or the pass across the middle drop by #27. No receiver gets open. They all should be benched instead of rewarded Matt. Past two games: GA passing yardage 427, UK 123.
    Arkansas passing yardage 372, UK 104 (60 of which was to King against Arkansas second string).

Seccondary improving each week. Really Matt. Georgia passed against #16 and #3 at will. #5 got burned by 10 yards on a TD pass. Georgia could have passed every down if they wanted.

36. RealCatsFan
    9:38 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

#27, no head cases this year? Really? I submit one Exhibit A (or should it be C), Chane Behanan. Pitino has already had to suspend him this year for running his trap. Do you really think he is going to stop providing his opponents with locker room bulletin board material. He is a talented player, but not nearly as good as he thinks he is.

BTW, you are free to be optimistic about your team, but I think you took a wrong turn on the way to Card Chronicle.

37. OU football fan here
    9:44 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Remember when UK used to have the Ohio Bobcats as their whipping boys for homecoming?

Remember when Oregon State was on the schedule as a guaranteed W?

Remember when UK had a 4 game winning streak against Louisville?

Remember when Miss State was a “toss up” game?

I do, but in looking at the current rankings you have Ohio at #23, Oregon St at #7/9, UL at #14/16 and Miss St at #12/13. They’re also a combined 27-0.

Anyone who thinks Joker deserves another year has lost their mind. But, I will say this. You could put Saban, Miles, Stoops, Muschamp, whoever you want at UK next season, and with that brutal schedule they aren’t winning with the current roster. Sure the kids play hard, but there is simply not enough talent to compete in the SEC.

You will never win at UK if you can only beat out the Central Michigan’s, the Central Florida’s, the Troy’s of the world. Of course those kids go to UK. We all would take the best offer we can get! But, that doesn’t cut it. You have to ‘steal’ kids from other schools!
    Look at what Meyer has done in his first year at OSU. Were they supposed to be undefeated? Nope…but he has gotten everything out of his team AND he ticked off other conference schools (Penn St and Michigan St) by ‘stealing’ some of their top recruts. If you don’t have a coach willing to try, you can’t win in the SEC. Simple was that.

38. Mr. Young talent
    9:52 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Total offense is 113th in the country. Scoring on offense is 103.
    1st thing Joker said on his post game show was we are young (again and again).
    No you aren’t young Joker. You didn’t evaluate your talent and you refuse to evaluate your talent.
    Each week is the same over and over. Your receivers and your defensive backs are not performing, week in and week out.
    These guys know they don’t have to perform, they are on the field no matter what. They need to be coached and benched.
    Tired of paying $50 each week to watch your young talent not perform.
    Your punter is your only player and I seriously doubt you coach him.

39. UK Fan
    9:52 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

KSR is pathetic in its attempt to keep the Joker flame burning. People who continue to go to games are fools and actually deserve another year of this clown. All of us us are in for more of the same as long as Barnhart runs this program.

40. GOKYCATS
    9:52 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

I had a GREAT time on Saturday! It was my 1st time ever in CWS, and the atmosphere was outstanding, for the amount of UK fans there! The outcome wasn’t what I wanted, but still very proud of the way the guys played. You may not support Joker and the staff, but you should still owe it to the players to support them! Those guys work their tails off every game and every practice! Could most of them go to other schools instead of UK?? Probably, but they CHOSE to play at UK and deserve better from the fans! I wish I could get season tickets and drive up from Maryville, TN (just outside of Knoxville) every week the team played at home, but money reasons make it where I can’t. Good luck to all the diehard fans that still support the football team, the players, and the staff the rest of the season!

41. Lost my mind
    9:58 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Put me in that camp of one who has “lost my mind” because I believe Joker deserves another year. It is not fair to talk about the experienced talent coming back next year, talent he recruited, and not allow him to coach it, to finish the deal, the last year of his contract.
    Kentucky, to this point, has played the most difficult schedule in the country with very young players and an injury epidemic to key personnel.
    “Fans” come on here and “love” those who vicariously give them some sense of importance, but smear and totally castigate those who might be coming up short in keeping “them” from winning.

42. Rockfield, KY
    10:04 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

11. You are mistaken. John L. Smith is making $800,000 this year, which is last in the SEC. Vandy doesn’t report Franklin’s salary bc they are private, but the rumor is that his salary is $3million. Vandy is significantly outpaying us. I believe Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss is in the $1.2million range and is below Joker also.

43. Poco Chang
    10:12 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

#41, We weren’t missing any players when we lost to UL and WKU. Not any.

44. Aaron C Bunch
    10:54 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

#27, I have to disagree on some of your statement, you said this UofL team has “no head cases”, that’s way wrong.

Your “clutch” player this year the one Peyton Siva is a huge head case. You’re talking about a kid with so much raw talent that people actually debated his skill vs. John Wall a few years ago, but Rick’s offensive “system” and style of coaching has regressed Siva and stunted his development entirely. You can’t tell me that John Calipari wouldn’t have sent Siva to the NBA 2 years ago, he would have been a first rounder under Cal last year definitely. Siva would show flashes of excellence like on the road vs UCONN the year UCONN won the title, and yet Siva would lose to Providence by 30. Against UK: Drive the lane, BLOCK, drive the lane BLOCK etc.

Head Case #2: Chane Behanan. Currently out on “suspension” and it’s speculated that’s due to attitude, or maybe a failed drug test or grades. Head Case.

The Rick Pitino “injury bug” is in and of itself a Head Case.

0-4 against Coach Cal’s Cats, I could go on…UofL will slide down the ranks like always. GO CATS.

45. It's easy
    10:55 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

I guess all we have to do to win at UK is:

1. Build a recruiting room.
    2. Hire a big name coach, and
    3. Spend $100 million or so on facility upgrades.

With all of that, we might go from an average of 4-5 wins a year to 6-7 consistently.

And, for the season ticket whiner folks…I think UK gets a lot more $$ from TV than from you.

46. You had me at Hell no
    11:06 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

40: Glad you had a good time on your first visit to Commonwealth. Perhaps its time for some of you newbies to pick up the torch, get off the coin and start writing some checks. Knoxville isn’t that far for 6-7 trips per year. Mitch is anxiously awaiting your K-fund donation. The volleyball court is in dyer need of refinishing.

47. kybigblue
    11:36 am October 22, 2012 Permalink

Ga. lost big to SC and barely beat UT and UK so what is their chances against UF? Looks more and more like UF and Alabama in the championship game.

48. Nervously optimistic cards fan
    1:25 pm October 22, 2012 Permalink

36 Chane likes talk no doubt. That doesn’t mean he’s a head case. I like his attitude. Pitino is just playing head games with him and letting Montrezl get his pt to push him. Same way chanes gonna pushing whispjer out of the paint here in a few weeks. He is your power forward right? Should be a real physical matchup there. Chanes swagger is exactly what they need. I know where to find card chronicle. Just got bored reading about our 7-0 football team over there so I thought I’d see what they were writing about us over here.

49. Realist
    5:03 pm October 22, 2012 Permalink

I like you #30; I just don’t understand where these guys come from that think, for some reason, basketball standards apply to football. I’ve asked this question several times and never received a good answer, so I’ll try again:

What leads anyone to believe that UK can have sustained success in football, much less excellence? Upon what is that based?

50. Lost my mind
    7:46 pm October 22, 2012 Permalink

#43 you make my point! You should have played harder then maybe “you” wouldn’t have lost those two games.