Jon Rothstein tweets about the Cats

Jon “Stay Humble, Stay Hungry” Rothstein went on a Twitter frenzy this morning, sending out over a dozen tweets from a recent conversation with John Calipari. Here are the highlights:

Coach Cal on…

Kentucky: “We don’t know what we are yet. I don’t know how we’ll play offensively yet. We’re figuring it out.”

Archie Goodwin: “He’ll set the tone for us defensively. He’ll be like Deandre Liggins, Antonio Anderson, & MKG.”

Alex Poythress: “We’re probably going to use him like we used Patrick Patterson. In a 4/3 type role.”

Willie Cauley-Stein: “He’s surprising. This is the 1st time he’s been fully committed to basketball because he played other sports.”

Ryan Harrow: “He’s more like Brandon Knight, a point guard that can score. He has a good understanding of what I want.”

Kyle Wiltjer: “We’re going to need him to score. He’s going to be one of our most skilled players.”

Nerlens Noel: “He just needs to learn how to play every possession. We have to define what his offensive game is.”

Playing Nerlens Noel & Willie Cauley-Stein together: “We’re going to have to do it for 8-10 minutes each game.”

Questions about this team: “Do I play zone with this team with three guys over 6’10”? And how do we get into our dribble drive? Those are some questions?”

The SEC: “There’s 14 teams in our league, I’d say seven will make the NCAAs. We’re going to beat each other up.”

Tennessee: “They’re going to be much better than people think. They play the way you win in the NCAA Tournament.”

An early prediction on Kentucky’s starting five: Ryan Harrow, Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress, Kyle Wiltjer, Nerlens Noel

Thoughts?

22 Comments for Jon Rothstein tweets about the Cats

1. reedwizard
    10:35 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Is that the starting lineup of an NCAA title contender?

2. I Yell Cartwright
    10:36 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Interesting comments on Noel about wanting him to play every possession, probably just motivation for him but Cal had made similar statements about Poythress recently.

Can’t wait to see this team… I am actually most excited to see Poythress, that kid looks like he could be a monster.

Will Hood see anything other than mop-up duty, even when he’s fully recovered? I’m pulling for him like crazy, took my son to the satellite camp at Christian Academy and Hood was great, put him on his shoulders and joked around with him. Seems like a really good kid.

3. HicksPickSix
    10:40 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

I’m Ron Burgundy?

4. Eric K
    10:45 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Can’t wait, Friday can’t get here fast enough!! That will be the starting five. GO CATS!!

5. Musehobo
    10:48 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

1) What? How would you know? We haven’t even seen them play yet.

6. Pu
    10:51 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

2) I hope Hood is good enough to get more than mop-up duty minutes, but if he doesn’t make a vast improvement, he shouldn’t see the floor. He’s got way too many players ahead of him in the rotation at this point.

3) Go f*&% yourself, Sandy Eggo

7. MemphisCat
    10:53 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Cal tells us just enough to keep us wanting more. He downplays how ad things re, we heard that AD was very limited, and now Noel is even more limited.

8. NCAA bids
    10:55 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

always talk up the conference, but 7 ain’t making the dance

9. bluefan
    10:59 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, sounds like Coach Cal is planning on NN being able to play right from the start, right? Can we stop with the rumors about him?

I love that lineup!
    Go CATS!!!

10. Oogie
    11:17 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

#1 – hard to say, too many unknowns at this point. I think the biggest unknown is how Harrow will perform in real games. If he’s solid, I’d say that lineup is a contender. Bench may be thin though.

11. Doubting Thomas
    11:17 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

People tend to forget how good Kyle Wiltjer is. I believe he will be a key player for this years team and may very well lead them in scoring. Hood won’t play much and I hate it for the kid. He probably should have went to Western or maybe even Eastern but he is a member of a National Championship team and that means a lot. GO BLUE

12. Jus Sayin
    11:19 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

1)I mean its 4 lottery picks and plus 1 potential 2nd Round so yes.

13. Dumbledore
    11:25 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

#1 – Of a title contender? Certainly. We have 5-6 players with NBA talent. Find another team in the college landscape that can equal those numbers. Of course, like with any team laden with new players, there will be a significant learning curve involved with this squad. We do benefit from a feeble array of opposing talent this year, however. Last year’s team versus this season’s schedule would be 40-0, no team coming within 8-10 points, IMO.

14. Gay Ryan Lemond
    11:31 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

http://dickvitaleonline.com/ Go vote for UK as your #1 preseason pick in college hoops. UK is currently in first followed by Indiana, Other, and Louisville. Let’s blow them out of the water. GO BBN!! Let’s do this!!

15. BravoBigBlue
    11:46 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

Thank God for Big Blue basketball!!!
    I don’t want to hear a mention of Mitch Barnhart or Joker Phillips ever again!

16. emlang08
    11:57 am October 9, 2012 Permalink

#10, I think this might be the deepest, Most comfortable bench we might have, Our starting PG has more experience than any other Coach Cal PG, and we have a Senior Back up in Mays, with Polson as third.
    we have three skilled players at 6’10” or greater, Twany, Hood and Wiltjer can all fill in the 3/4 spot for Poythress.

Now Last year, I spent every waking moment worrying about 1 or 2 injuries keeping up from even courting a team!

17. reedwizard
    12:08 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I think Poythress is the key. He seems to be a matchup problem for most teams. If he can become a consistent scoring threat, I think he opens up shots for Wiltjer and Goodwin/Mays, and gives Harrow lanes to drive or open shots.Noel/Stein will clean up on rolls to the basket or weak side rebounds. With Harrow being more of a scoring guard, it seems to me that we will need to play from the post to set up the motion that Cal likes. Poythress, Wiljer & Stein (in order) sound like our best threats down low.

I’m glad this discussion is not about football.

18. Big Blue
    12:55 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I can’t wait for us to get started! We are very young and unproven, obviously. It will be a great ride again watching them develop over the course of the season.

19. Twitter Account Denied
    1:05 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

None of us really know anything about this years team other than Cal brings in great players and molds them into a great team. In Cal we trust!

20. Bob
    3:11 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Is it just me or does this guy’s mouth look like the joker’s?

21. J A Brooks
    3:47 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I thought that everyone knew that was going to be the starting lineup like 3 months ago… except the one guy that thought Wiltjer was going to be our starting Small Forward.

22. Turtle
    5:13 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Who the hell is Antonio Anderson?