Jon Hood’s “play of the game”

(h/t UK Photo Tags)

Jon Hood showed off his hops in today’s win over Florida, going up for a huge block against the Gators. #LakeHairDoCare

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

34 Comments for Jon Hood’s “play of the game”

1. bryguy
    9:06 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

White men can jump…

2. Ridge Runner
    9:06 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

This was cool. I happened to be looking at UK’s bench and Nerlens jumped up so fast and excited, he then kinda grimmaced and held his knee. But my point was Nerlens was so happy for Jon on that play.

3. Rifleman
    9:07 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Lake hair do care!

4. BBN
    9:08 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Jon Hood should play ahead of Wiltjer moving forward. Hood plays better defense and does not hurt the team like Wiltjer continues to do. Hood brings more maturity as well.

5. Fancoulo
    9:12 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

It was a good play and I am happy for him.

6. Andrew
    9:12 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

i agree with #4, Hood is a 3pt shooter like Wiltjer but can actually play defense and jump and move faster than 2 mph. if wiltjer is going to be so slow he needs to develop David Robinson arms and shoulders to start out powering everyone.

7. Ridge Runner
    9:12 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Kyle’s goose egg worries me a lot. I don’t care that much if he misses down low cuz that ain’t him no matter how he trys and no matter how much he may have success from time to time.

I’m talking jump shots. I mean, I love the guy but a second year player may go 1 for 7 — 2 for 9 on a very bad day but…..damn. Hpe they can analyze what is going on this week and we gotta have at least 2 treys from him a game in the tourney…minimum.

8. Fire Cal Now
    9:14 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

If you want to see some real basketball UNC/Duke is on!

9. Stuck on Blue
    9:23 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

#9 If you want to see a real dbag, look in the mirror.

10. Stuck on Blue
    9:24 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

*#8

11. James K
    9:26 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

That really was a phenomenal play.

12. John Ellis
    9:27 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Guys, the UK Women had a huge win and routed Georgia who had beaten them, a la the Mashburn team’s dismantling of Tennessee in the SEC tourney. A post is overdue, even if it’s a second interest here. They are a real title contender.

13. John Ellis
    9:29 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

PS Tennessee women lost, so a tourney title very possible; and Baylor’s throttling of Kansas elevates that loss in UK’s RPI I would think, pushing them further off the bubble.

14. Sher
    9:33 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

I agree show UK Hoos some love!!

15. crackerhillbilly
    9:33 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Hood was the KY high school 3A high jump state champ his senior year. I could look it up on KHSAA, but as I recall he went 6’6″. White men can’t only jump – they can E-L-E-V-A-T-E!

16. Sher
    9:33 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

UK hoops!!

17. Sgt Jimmy
    9:35 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Congrats to both The Cats and Cards. Beating top 25 teams at home to end the season. Cal out coaches BD the last 9 1/2,10 min. of game. Florida runs 2 plays, Cal adjusts and holds Gators scorless last 8 min of game. Awsome defense on the part of the Cats.

18. Chad B
    9:37 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Wiltjer has got to go. He can’t play defense and when he’s not on offensively whats the point in playing him. He’s hurting this team badly. I’ve noticed that the other teams are intentionally targeting him because they know he’s too slow to stop a guard and too soft to stop a big man. Say what you want about Archie, but the kid has shown alot of life as of late. I know he’s out of control, but he’s the only guy we have that can beat his man off the dribbble….If he could just hit a free throw. I miss Noel.

19. Mike
    9:39 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Cal has been wrong all year for talking the talk on Hood and then not walking the walk by playing him. He may not have the talents of some of the misfits ahead of him but has always had heart and attitude….something Poy has had very little of and Wusstjer is now falling into.

20. Mike
    9:41 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Great win for the Lady Kats…maybe Mitchell should attend the men’s team at halftime to get their heads back on.

21. Mike
    10:03 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

I should coach this team. My experience playing NCAA 12 and watching adult videos in my mom’s basement makes me the perfect candidate to replace the disgrace that is Calipari. If we would just feed the players a high performance diet of my whoppers and apple pies, they’d be fit in no time. All we need is a couple of hot leaky tampons and we can contend!

As long as Wusstjer just sits on the pine…my pine…

22. niaps
    10:42 pm March 9, 2013 Permalink

Kyle Wiltjer is playing so poorly right now and I do not see Hood hurting this team when he is on the floor. Wiltjer seems to play with a lack of confidence now and Hood is playing with a lot of energy. I do like Wiltjer because of what he can do but right now it is not there. Give Hood a chance at least he is not a defensive liability and his rebounding looks good.

23. Adam
    3:36 am March 10, 2013 Permalink

But Ryan said that Hood wasn’t as athletic as Polson and Wiltjer… At Madness this year Archie, Alex,
    Noel and mature WCS were all trying to go between the legs on a dunk. None of them were able to and Hood walked up and did it his first attempt. Good is extremely athletic. Just because he hasn’t had an opprutinity to really show it doesn’t mean he isn’t athletic. Polson and Wiltjer don’t hold a candle to him when it comes to athleticism.

24. Bledsoe's Biceps
    7:11 am March 10, 2013 Permalink

Like others have said, Hood deserves more PT. Cal has talked a great game, but has done a pathetic job of actually trying to utilize him. In the 3-5 minutes he usually gets, he plays with energy, rebounds and plays decent defense. At 6′ 7″ he handles the ball well. Given the performance of this team, he should have been used much more. He played well in the 1st half at Georgia, then Cal forgot about him in the 2nd half. With more PT, his confidence improves and he will start looking for his shot. He is then another outside threat on a team that has very little of that.

25. markp
    8:42 am March 10, 2013 Permalink

If only we could combine Hood and Wiltjer. One for defense and the other for offense. Wiltjer should be able to move better than he does. I don’t get it. Kudos to Archie for his effort but someone needs to reconstruct the foul shot with him. Bend your knees and don’t abruptly stop at the full extension of your knees and shoot. Learn to release while the knees are approaching full extension. Cal should enlist Kyle Macy to be his official foul shot instructor.

26. kyhank
    8:47 am March 10, 2013 Permalink

I hope John gets more time he is a better defender than kyle and can be much better Alex at times, love them all GO CATS

27. HoodieWoodie
    11:04 am March 10, 2013 Permalink

I like Hood as well, and always wonder why Cal doesn’t give him a legit shoot at contributing. It’s really annoying. The sad thing is, if he was ever going to have an opportunity to shine, one would think it would have been this year. I think he gets even LESS PT next year. He doesn’t deserve that…

28. HoodieWoodie
    11:04 am March 10, 2013 Permalink

*shot

29. Timd
    11:13 am March 10, 2013 Permalink

#8, go play somewhere else.
    That was a great play by Jon. Glad to see Him getting some playing time. He probably should be moved ahead of KW at this point.

30. mudcreekmark
    11:53 am March 10, 2013 Permalink

People have been bashing Hood on here all year like he is the reason we suck. They must not be watching the games. Every game Hood gets in, he plays his ass off and rarely makes the wrong play. The kid has only 2 turnovers all year long. I’m not saying he should be starting, but when it is obvious that some players are not into the game, give the kid a chance. His head is always in the game.

31. c'mon man
    12:06 pm March 10, 2013 Permalink

@ 27… Hood won’t be back next year, guy… He and polson are graduating early

32. c'mon man
    12:08 pm March 10, 2013 Permalink

@ 9.. that comment was awesome and made me laugh, then I realized you actually called yourself a D bag, which made me laugh again.. ha so thanks for that

33. HackRichards
    12:39 pm March 10, 2013 Permalink

Jon Hood, Jared Polson & Julius Mays… If the rest of them so called All Americans had their heart…

34. Respect the Uniform
    10:20 pm March 10, 2013 Permalink

More Hood!! Less Out of State Head Hanging Hoodies.!!