Jon Hood plans to be back next year

Hood_Jon_TV Head 12-13

According to the Courier-Journal, Jon Hood plans to be back next season even though he’s graduating this May. Even more, he says he’ll be back on scholarship, so don’t put those scuba sleeves away just yet.

#LakeHairChampionshipStare

47 Comments for Jon Hood plans to be back next year

1. WilcatRhino
    1:46 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

BBN, we need your votes for TollyHo in the Final 4. Do your Civil Wildcat duty and VOTE! This is, after all, how this wonderful Nation has come to be! http://blog.cookingchanneltv.com/2013/04/01/final-four-best-college-eats/

2. Susan
    1:46 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Perhaps academic scholarship?

3. mad monk
    1:46 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

no Wiggins?

4. Catlanta
    1:48 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

#3 – Not necessarily. We can get Hawkins + Wiggins if Polson is a walkon.

5. Smart Person
    1:50 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

So that means 11 spots taken… 2 left for

Polson
    Hawkins
    Wiggins

6. Rei
    1:51 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

guess that means Polson is gone, unless Wiggins or Hawkins doesn’t commit.

7. Bg Cat
    1:53 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I’d rather have Polson back on scholarship than Hood.

8. Randy
    1:54 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I’ll take him, you guys seem to forget he was 5* player too. Depth is depth

9. BigBlueAces
    1:54 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

2, I don’t think you can be put on academic scholly once you’ve been awarded an athletic scholly.

10. tltaworl
    1:55 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Hood was a 5*?

11. Ksu
    1:56 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Uh, they have 12 scholarship players with one left. Noel is not coming back. Polson has earned his scholarship & is a player who would start at other d1 schools. Plus, he doesn’t cost the basketball team hardly anything because he gets a lot of money from academics.

12. Randy
    1:56 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

4* my bad

13. Rei
    1:58 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Hood was a 4 star, #92 out of 100. Higher rated than Bledsoe.

14. Smart Person
    2:00 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

According to Rivals this Jon Hood guy is….

STRENGTHS
    Basketball IQ
    Intensity/Passion
    Mid-Range Game
    AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
    Ballhandling
    Speed/Quickness

Low maintenance, intelligent basketball player. Will assimilate well to college because of the balance in his game. Put it on the floor and can get his shots. Not married to an area. Structure in college will make him fit in even better. Will need to improve his ability to guard defensively but the bottom line is the young man is a player who will work his way onto the court and be a multi-year starter.

15. KMT123
    2:03 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Thrilled to have Hood back next year! As much as I love the fact that Cal has landed an historic recruiting class (and I DO LOVE it), I also love to see Kentucky kids who love the program and all it means to the state want to return and keep being a part of it all. He may never be a contributor in the mold of Darius Miller, but you know his heart is in it each and every time he steps on the court. And what stories he’ll have as part of the 2014 CATS….

16. Randy
    2:06 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Hood’s got talent, his college career just never panned out, like many other talented players, b/c of injuries and other circumstances (Cal’s uber-talented rosters)

17. Bronco Bama
    2:06 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

LakeHairSwag

18. kentuckyrules
    2:06 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

This is a bunch of BS. He should’ve declared for the draft….

19. kyle heavy
    2:07 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

He will average 17.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.4 spg, and 0.7 bpg next season.

20. Big Blue
    2:08 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

He’ll be so far down the bench that he’ll be sitting in the student section. But, hey, come along for the ride if you want.

21. bluecreeker
    2:10 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Injuries, and this year he has been fighting the effects of Mono.

Kid sure could hoop in Highschool.

22. Row
    2:17 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Jon hood is one ugly looking muskrat

23. BA
    2:20 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

#22 – Thats cold man…

24. Darrel don't call me hudson
    2:21 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

God love it,
    If poison walks on and hood is on scholarship ? That’s terrible

25. Row
    2:22 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I’m entitled to my opinion…I said nothing about his games which is the only important factor as to which we are even talking about this kid

26. huh?
    2:22 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

11. I like Polson as much as the next guy. He was originally a walk-on awarded a ship because there were extra. If there are no extra…that’s life. I wish people would stop with all the cal is taking it away from polson because that’s just not the case.

27. rainman
    2:28 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

#9 as a graduate studentI think he can!
    GREAT NEWS, BTW!!

28. Hey
    2:32 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I thought Polson was going to declare for the draft?! 😉

29. Ksu
    2:46 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

#26, he’s not going to take his ride away, because he has one left for wiggins or who ever. Cal asked Hawkins to WALK ON. Polson would start for several d1 schools. Uk is lucky to have him. I wish he’d go somewhere else to play more, cause he won’t get hardly any next year. That’s life, not punishing a kid for being loyal.

#28, I can say with confidense that he stands a better chance of getting drafted than YOU.

30. J Jones
    2:49 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

GOOD I am glad. He is a kentucky boy who loves uk and deserves a senior night celebration. I hope Jarrod is on scholarship because he deserves it. He to deserves a senior night send off.

31. yo
    2:49 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

We need both Polson and Hood for depth, leadership, and as backups to potential injuries.

32. yo
    2:50 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

and maturity.

33. wondering
    2:55 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Glad Hood will be back. I was wondering if anyone would know this question. Will this next season give Hood more wins than any other cat in history? I would have to think he is up there given he will be playing for 5 seasons and hopefully 2 national championships to go with an elite 8 and a final 4 appearance.

34. njCat
    3:15 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Not sure how much Polson and Hood will contribute next year. Not even sure they’ll make the 5 on 5 drill in practice – particulary if Wiggins and Hawkins are on the team. And there s/b no problem w/ Polson giving up his scholly since he joined the team as a walk-on initially. It was a gift that he got a ride the last couple years. Not saying he didn’t earn his spot last year, but you can’t say no to Hawkins and/or Wiggins to keep him on scholorship.

35. Ksu
    3:19 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

#34, Hawkins is not as big or as good as polson & has a WALK ON offer dip! Please refer to my previous post. Pivot man.

36. Zach
    3:22 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR AND #1 NBA DRAFT PICK IN 2014 RIGHT THERE!

37. Wall2Cousins
    3:30 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

g Damnit another year of you dumb idiots done in deep rooted KY wondering if Hood gonna get any minutes this year

38. Wall2Cousins
    3:31 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

33 you are a fukn idiot…..”Glad Hood will be back” shoot yourself pleeeeeeasssseee!!!!

39. Scott Baio
    3:36 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

I heard he was going to be a GA next season, and Polson would be back on scholly.

40. stillHere
    4:00 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

So if everything holds that means there will be 4 guys from KY on next year’s team. (hood,polson,hawkins,willis) When was the last time that happened?

41. me
    4:10 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

#33 he took a medical redshirt for last season due to torn ACL or whatever, so those wins won’t count.

42. Faycts
    4:12 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

@ ksu You need to calm down and then explain where you heard Hawkins has a walkon offer. Hawkins already said hes only coming to UK if he has a scholarship offer. Hawkins is not walking on at UK. And id take a freshman Hawkins over a senior Polson all day, thats not even a hard decision.

43. Pookie
    4:28 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Worst news I heard all day!

44. can o corn
    4:34 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

42. I concur. I do understand where ksu is coming from though. Polson earned a scholly with his play last year but only if there is one remaining. Loyalty and all. As stated hawkins will not walk on. If we want him we gotta give him a ship. No other choice. I think cal has little choice but to give hawkins a ship, looking towards the future. 4 years or 1 year. Tough call though

45. Cast
    5:00 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Hawkins was offered a walkon by pitino and ul, not uk. His coach has said several times that he must have a scholarship. Ksu, you don’t know what you are talking about

46. bosshogg24
    5:28 pm April 3, 2013 Permalink

Ksu, are you Polson’s little brother? Hawkins will be better in every way quickness, defending, rebounding, more complete player!

47. allknowing
    11:41 am April 4, 2013 Permalink

Seriously, Hood should leave. He hasn’t panned out and was given opportunities. Move on young man.