Joker Quotes From The Post-Game Presser

—On the game overall: “Again, I like the effort that this football team is playing with. We started fast offensively. We hadn’t turned the ball over in a few games and we put the ball on the ground in the first drive. Not only did we put the ball on the ground, we allowed those guys to return it to the 25-yard line, gave the defense a short field. I thought the defense competed their tails off. The first two scoring drives were 25 and 52 yards and then they got 12 yards. We gave them way too many short fields. I thought we played sloppy also in the special forces.”

—On winning on the road: “To win on the road, you have to play as a team. You have to, first of all not turn the ball over, give the defense short fields, and if you do get short fields, you’ve got to go in and get the stops.”

—On whether this game was a missed opportunity: “It’s a missed opportunity because when you look at how we moved the ball offensively and fumbled the ball going in. It’s a game of not taking advantage of momentum on offense. We had the momentum in the first half at one point and handed it back to them. We had the momentum in the second half, two straight drives and we handed back to them also. With the snaps, our defensive plan just couldn’t hold up.”

—On switching quarterbacks: “We’ve got to be able to throw and catch the ball also. They started stacking the box a little more also and stopping the run. We just couldn’t throw the football.”

—On why he punted again after the penalty for running into the kicker: “You know, the guy (punt returner) had put the ball on the ground a couple times, and we’ve got a pretty good punter. We wanted to take our chance again. We didn’t punt it where we were supposed to and he fielded it; it was low. But he had put the ball on the ground at least two times; one we got. I wanted to give our punt team another chance.”

—On the ten fumbles between the two teams:  “I don’t know. I wish I had the answer to that. I don’t think we had fumbled since the Louisville game. We had fumbled, but we hadn’t lost any fumbles since the first game. And today, we were way too careless with the ball — put the ball on the ground on the first drive when we had a chance to score on our first drive for the second week in a row. That’s big, especially when you’re on the road. And not only did we fumble it, those guys get the chance to flip the field to a short field. So we’ve got to be able to protect the football.”

—On Towles’ play: “He didn’t have as good of command as he’s had. There was one day (last week in practice) that I thought he did real good command of the ball. Today, he just didn’t have that.”

—On the bad snap on the long field goal: “We just mishandled it. We mishandled the snap. I wanted to give (Craig McIntosh) a chance — it was 53, maybe 54 yards. It was very makeable with the wind, and we botched the snap. Again, it’s after a turnover and we didn’t get anything out of it.”

—On whether he’d change any of his decisions during the game: “You know, looking back on it, you probably should’ve not punted — declined the penalty on the running into the kicker. Just looking back on it. Because they got the ball on (UK’s) 45-yard line. They got a field goal; we held them to a field goal, but that would’ve been the one thing I would do.”

—On Kentucky’s strong defensive play:  “After three quarters, we’d given up 188 yards on defense. That’s a pretty dang good day — on the road — creating three turnovers; two on defense and one in the special teams area. That’s a pretty dang good day playing against a team of this caliber. So I thought our defense held up. Again, the three drives, three touchdown drives (for Missouri), were 25 (yards), 52, 12. And then one they scored on defense. So you’ve got to say is our defense played good enough to win. The thing they’ve got to do is keep them out of the end zone, make them kick field goals when they get those short fields.”

That was painful.

Article written by Kristen Geil

39 Comments for Joker Quotes From The Post-Game Presser

1. Yngvie Malmsteen.
    6:51 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

I said Mizzou 31-9 in a previous thread. Book it Dan-0.

2. TheDecker
    6:54 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Blah Blah Blah

3. Dave
    6:55 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

I dont know which game Joker and his coaching staff watches but its not the same I watch. This staff is a complete disaster and we shouldnt even win another game. Some action needs to be taken now to some how save this program for the next 3 years.

4. Hill jack
    6:59 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

I’m just gonna sit here and jack my bird.

5. UKFaniac
    7:00 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Gosh… We’re really bad.

6. Yab
    7:01 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

The fans have stuck with this program for decade after decade. We deserve to have a coach the caliber of Bobby Petrino coaching at UK. There is simply no excuse for Barnhart not making this hire. KSR it’s time for you to start applying some pressure to make this happen.

7. puttiful
    7:09 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Heard this and agree….UK scientist dig up and clone Bear Bryant, shoot him full of NFL coach DNA, construct a “dallas cowboy superdome/mall” cheat like Mumme, get the top 25 recruits, have SEC spot UK 10 points…and UK goest 7-5 at best

8. FIRE JOKER!!!
    7:09 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

This reminds me of watching George Bush at the end of his second term.

9. Bluer than you
    7:15 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Lol @ the winning on the road question and quotes. How about asking something about winning in general.

10. u
    7:24 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Has he resigned? If not, why?? Has Barnhart fired him? If not, why? Both need to be flushed from the system ASAP

11. Buckwild
    7:26 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Someone remind me again why Joker has closed football practices.

12. Rick
    7:36 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

“Again, I like the effort that this football team is playing with.” … Glad someone is. Cause the rest of us aren’t.

13. [email protected]
    7:37 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

#3. Save this program from what. It is already destroyed. It has nowhere to go but up at this point.

14. RealCatsFan
    7:37 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

” I thought we played sloppy also in the special forces” – Is Joker talking about special teams, or has he sunken to the level of having to call in the Marines to restore order on the field?

15. Rick
    7:38 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Also, I know this is a little thing, but why does he repeatedly keep referring to “special teams” as “special forces”? His press conferences hurt my brain.

16. Rick
    7:39 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

#14 – You beat me to it.

And the sad thing is, he’s made that reference in almost every post-game show.

17. Jimi
    7:51 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

RISE!!!!

18. BBB
    7:51 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Gosh I can’t even stand to here him talk.

19. ruhroh
    7:52 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

#8, guessing you’re going to be bluer than usual on 11/7

20. BBB
    7:52 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Don’t insult the real special forces with any references from this coaching staff.

21. Catlogic15
    8:02 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

My favorite, on Towles practicing last week: “I thought he did real good command of the ball”. OK, thanks for clearing that up.

22. Romney
    8:07 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

# 8 This reminds me of watching Obama the entire last 4 years.

23. Captain Obvious
    8:22 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

I suspect sometime in the next 7-10 days an announcement will be forth coming regarding the future of Coach Phillips and our University of Kentucky Wilcats Football team. Mitch has been more than patient with Coach Philips…..but to ensure the future of our Football Program Mr. Phillips will be relieved of his position…..

The future’s so bright….I’ve got to wear shades….

24. Gavin S.
    8:32 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Poor bastard.

25. Dave
    8:43 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

#13 Recruiting

26. J A Brooks
    8:44 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Joker is a moron.

Tell me that’s not some of the most moronic conversation you’ve ever heard from any person ever…

27. Joker Phillips
    9:56 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

“I am a true dumba$$ and I don’t know what the holy he11 I am doing out there.”

28. Rick
    10:00 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

“To win, we need to keep the other team out of the end-zone.” With this kind of revolutionary forward-thinking, I don’t understand how we’re not 9-0.

29. RealCatsFan
    10:09 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Guys, I fed the whole press conference through my Rosetta Stone Joker BS Translator, and it spit out the following:

“We absolutely suck hind teat, and I don’t have a clue what the hell I am doing.”

30. Mad Chet
    10:15 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

#11-He doesn’t want everybody to see how boring the gameplan is or to see how bad the coaching sucks on a daily basis.

31. UK twitter
    11:07 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

Remember those billboards around town at the beginning of the season? #WEAREUK!! LOL

32. CAN WE FIRE JOKER NOW??????????????????????
    11:09 pm October 27, 2012 Permalink

He said this game was a missed opportunity….I say this whole damn season was a missed opportunity!!! Had Mitch Barnhart actually done his job and fired Joker last season, then we could’ve maybe had a chance at this season with a new coach. But no, Mitch just had to bring him back one more year when anybody with a brain could see the Joke was in way over his head.

33. g-unit
    1:02 am October 28, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky WILL NOT get Petrino. At the end of this year you are likely to have Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, all needing coaching jobs. All 3 of those teams have a better home state recruiting base, a top 30 recruiting class and much much more football support from their state and university. Why on gods green earth would Petrino come to UK?! I don’t care how much UK pays he wants to win and win fast and that isn’t possible at UK. Kentucky will be lucky to land a David cutcliffe caliber. Coach. And better say yes immediately if they were to get a tubberville. Leach. Has showed he is not the answer at wsu so UK is royally screwed.

34. Buckets
    1:52 am October 28, 2012 Permalink

Any coach who refers to special teams as “special forces” is obviously in waaaaay over his head.

35. Jetblue
    4:52 am October 28, 2012 Permalink

I don’t want to hear or read anything Joker says unless it’s a statement of resignation.

36. barn
    10:19 am October 28, 2012 Permalink

the good news is we won’t need a new coach next year, we’ll still have joker

37. BobbyPsNeckBrace
    12:27 pm October 28, 2012 Permalink

#33 “What you said.”

38. Raymond White
    5:12 pm October 28, 2012 Permalink

Please leave politics out of UK football this smacks of racism and for those who see no hope switch teams- root for ul. At the end of the season break out the money- hire the very best, a coach who can recruit players. UK has a lot to offer generally fan support,SEC conference,improved facilities would come once wins start. Look at Kansas State, Oregon, Oregon State and others, I am sick and tired of hearing negative remarks why they cannot win. A good coach can do all this! BUT first all this negativity has stop.