Joker Phillps News Conference is Worth Watching

Normally I do not like to delay writing postgame reports by taking video during press conferences, but I knew it would be very unique to see how he handled his situation firsthand. He showed emotion throughout, slamming his fist into the table at one point. However he kept his composure throughout, constantly praising his players and his wife. He is a man  that bleeds true blue. (Sorry if it’s shaky. I could never be a surgeon.)

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

20 Comments for Joker Phillps News Conference is Worth Watching

1. Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
    12:52 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

I always liked Joker. I’m sorry things didn’t work out here for him. Congratulations to him and the seniors, and I hope they beat UT.

2. JVice
    12:58 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

Lightly tapping the table with your knuckles isn’t the same as slamming your fist into it. He handled it well.

3. Bradley
    1:08 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

Save your time folks. I like Joker, but there’s nothing of note to see in this video. Certainly nothing near the description that was given

4. Jake
    2:28 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

Who is Joker Phillps?

5. TJ
    3:58 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

Say what you will about Joker’s coaching ability. But he genuinely seems to be a good man and a good person. I wish him nothing but the best.

6. BBB
    7:26 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

Wish Joker the best. Mitch Barnhart is what needs to be discussed. We need a mitch barnhart post. This is without doubt a signature hire for Mitch. Petrino should be our next coach. He is the BEST coach available for us and he is interested in the job. All these other names will put us just where we’ve been before….shooting for 6 wins. Petrino has the ability to take us above that level….maybe we could dream of 8-4 or 9-3….Oh, I’m sorry, I’m dreaming. All you guys who are happy with 6-6 or 7-5 need to ask your selves if you would be happy with 18-12, or 20-10 or 16-14 records in basketball. At some point we need to start a new football tradition and its call WINNING! KSR has let us down by being a mouthpiece for mitch barnhart when they had the chance to lead us to a new era by putting pressure on Mitch to hire a real coach. There is not one name on that list of his that I would pay 3.8 million a year. (Petrinos last salary). Mitch said we could afford to make a new coach one of the highest paid coaches in NCAA. If these names are shooting for the fences then the fence is too close.

7. TAP
    7:52 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

I like Strickland’s Smile comment … I certainly wish the results had been better; I know Joker & the staff feel the same way. Good luck Joker.

I will admit not being a “die-hard” UK football fan, but a fan nevertheless. During this coaching search there’s one thing I cannot understand from many and that’s the demand that Mitch hire Petrino. Yes, he’s successful in the wins vs losses column but the wake of disaster he leaves programs upon his exit is just as undeniable. I concede he will improve UK’s results on the field but he’s certainly not the only one. BP left Arkansas having lied to his AD and leaving the University in a situation of a possible sexual harassment law suit. (I believe the University reached an ‘exit package’ for her releasing the University of liability.) Regardless of his act of adultery, sex with an intern, giving her a job & gifts, lying to your AD, and exposing the school to a lawsuit … I am one that certainly understands Mitch not making that call and I support his decision.

8. 3 fan
    7:53 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

When you are over the lovefest, remember how horrible Joker the coach was. I see no one has said the real attendance yet. The fans have had ENOUGH! Mitch, your job depends on this hire

9. BigBlue
    8:44 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

Good luck Joker! We will never forget you!…wish we could though…

10. Kleenex
    8:49 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

For the love of God get a flu shot and whip off the camera ! Sneezing, sniffing and infecting the whole room.

11. truth.com
    9:43 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

he threw a shot at cal at the 6:22 mark

12. DoneWithFootball
    10:20 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

Choker is crying several MILLION tears….WHO else here would get paid an enormous exit fee if you were fired from your job??

13. Bob Loblaw
    11:15 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

It would be a good video if the sound wasn’t turned down so low.

14. Dr. Tom
    11:32 am November 18, 2012 Permalink

For most fanatic fans winning is everything to them and I understand that. But we can’t loose the fact that people’s lives are affected when a coach is let go. I once lost my job and it remains one of the worse feelings I have ever experienced. Good people recover and I know Joker will but it still doesn’t help the pain that he and his family and staff are experiencing. Joker didn’t get the job done and he realizes that. It would be nice if we all could get the job done in our daily lives and careers. The good thing for most of us is that we don’t get fired when we don’t meet the full expectations of our jobs. It just amazes me that we are seeing a person of the highest character leave this program and there is significant interest within the fan base in hiring a coach with obvious character flaws. What’s wrong with his picture??

15. Beatle Bum
    1:26 pm November 18, 2012 Permalink

Character matters. Thanks Joker!

16. jaws2
    1:37 pm November 18, 2012 Permalink

#14, Please don’t compare average Joe losing his job that gets a few weeks severance (maybe), to a guy that was hired to build on some minimal success, didn’t,and gets paid a few million to leave. If Joker’s not fine after this, then he’s an idiot at handling finances as well.

I get sick of people talking about poor Joker; jeez, the guys a millionaire a couple of times over.

17. gridiron_cat
    1:57 pm November 18, 2012 Permalink

Well put Dr. Tom, I would rather see UK give up the football program than to publicly show we have no class or dignity in hiring that creepy SOB. #12, Joker was the lowest paid coach in our league and you wanted to pay him less, no wonder we can’t get quality here when our fan base thinks 1.7 million dollars is a lot of money, not in the SEC man, we are dead last on head coaching salary, staffing salaries, contract buyout, and facilities. Here’s a breakdown for you: http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/35497/a-look-at-sec-coaching-salaries. Vandy is listed as N/A because they didn’t know at the time but I’ve read elsewhere that they pay more as well and we know they have spent a fortune on facilities the last two years in Nashville.

Don’t worry about Joker, he will shake this off, probably take a few months and he will rebound somewhere else. He’s a good coach, he just struggled through management mistakes transitioning to a head coach here, particularly his first year. He had no honeymoon to learn to be a manager or fix the recruiting busts from 2007 and 2008. At times he was loyal to a fault to his players (Newton) and his coaches (Brown). Even he admitted he wished he had gone elsewhere first as a HC where he could have made those mistakes without being under a microscope, and THEN came back to a bigger name program. I think he will learn from that and be a successful HC elsewhere and this time with experience to avoid the early mistakes he made. If he doesn’t retire, I won’t be surprised to see him discussed in coaching circles for years to come or if he winded up being a HC/coordinator making waves at a big conference team in the next 10 years.

Some Irony:
    Go Cats, I believe that if we beat TN Saturday Joker will be the only coach since the Bear with a winning record against TN, that’s the game I would like to see him carried out of, he deserves it after the years of dedication to UK.

18. Dizzy Dean
    5:57 pm November 18, 2012 Permalink

I gave up watching in the 4th minute when I had to throw up from all the shaky camera work, sneezing, chuckling, and cell phone vibrations. Like one of the earlier posts said, nothing to see in this video. Good luck in the future Joker!

19. AbbyNormal
    9:45 pm November 18, 2012 Permalink

I wish Joker nothing but the best. Hate that he couldn’t get the job done… That being said -Mitchy better hire someone who will turn our program around.

20. Jed Bartlet
    1:10 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

“Unique” means one of a kind. It is impossible for something to be “very unique.” I wouldn’t have bothered pointing that out except I wasted valuable minutes of my life watching the video.