Joker Phillips says Max Smith has swag

While the players are off from practice today for the first day of school, Joker Phillips was at the Hyatt in downtown Louisville for the Greater Louisville UK Alumni Kickoff Luncheon. The annual event featured a panel of special guest speakers and UK personnel, a video highlight package from last season, as well as a delicious lunch, served with fresh bread and those perfectly round balls of butter. It’s quite the meal.

Anyway, part of Joker’s speech today included praise for his recently named starting quarterback, Max Smith, and the “swag” he brings to the position.

“I like how confident he is,” Joker told the luncheon crowd. “The kids today call it swag. He’s got some swag to him. No doubt about it.”

Joker also said he wants to start the season off “with a bang,” which would mean a win over Louisville in the Governor’s Cup, and he again challenged the Big Blue Nation to get behind his team.

“It’ll be a fun team to watch,” he said.

11 days…

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Joker Phillips says Max Smith has swag

1. Debbie Downer
    4:11 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me” , Excuse me for being pessimistic. Good luck football Cats.

2. DirtyDave
    4:21 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Joker Phillips wouldn’t know swag if it up and swagged him cross the lips!

3. St. Paul Raiders
    4:22 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

I think the “fun to watch” comment is the most important thing he’s said all offseason. I think, ALMOST completely regardless of the final record, if this team is fun to watch Joker will find the fans back in his corner. Now, it’s also fair to say that if they are, in fact, fun then the record will probably be pretty good. But even a 4 win team that’s in every nearly every game down to the wire is more than acceptable to this fan.

4. Maxwell
    4:37 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

I’m still kind of cautiously optimistic about our team this year. I realize that we are very young and we’re not going to go 8-4, but I have a feeling Maxwell can take us to the promised land (bowl game) this year, and an even better bowl next year when we have a little bit more experience.

5. Common Sense
    4:43 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

I agree with Joker, this team will be fun to watch this season.

6. Joker's Job Security
    4:58 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

They better be exciting… at least i really hope they will be.

7. Beavis
    5:07 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Same hype every year. It is time to start producing results. I agree with no 2,,,,I don’t think Joker has any idea what swagger means. Now the players,,,,if one of them said that,,I would believe it.

8. zippety doo da
    5:20 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

I wish our coach wasn’t so damn hip (“swag”). Wish he would concentrate more on being a better coach than watching MTV or BET. Ya think Saban or Meyer says their QBs “have swag?” Yeah, me either.

And for the record, I’m confident if Max does indeed “have swag”, it will not translate into WINS…

9. Real Common Sense
    5:27 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

This team will NOT produce enough wins for anyone to consider this season “fun to watch.”

I’m sorry, but one or two ‘super athletic’ plays a game does not equal success. And no matter how much swag any of the players or even Joke(r) has, Joke(r) will NOT return next season.

10. tdogg40330
    5:28 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

#9, he said he has “confidence” but the said THE KIDS call it
    “swag”. Comprehend what ya read before ya run ya mouth.

11. funny
    6:02 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

#9, Joker used the word “swag.” No matter where he heard it – he needs to work harded at the coaching thang, and less on trying to be hip around da’kids.

Are any of the successful coaches in the ncaa using the word “swag?”

#9, You wouldn’t happen to be Joker, or his agent, would ya?

12. V. I.Russ
    6:17 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Test

13. Beavis
    7:01 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Going to be hard to have that “swag” when your running for your life or you are flat on your back. Swag is not going to amount to much when you have five guys trying to block eight. Better be able to throw the ball down field or this will be a replay of the sorry offense we put on the field last year.

14. kes
    7:03 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

3 wins, and the dirty birds are going to kill us

15. CatGrad7072
    7:21 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Joker will coach the swag off of them-whatever that means. Count on CJP to coach off a star or two over the course of a career.

16. SevenT
    8:36 pm August 22, 2012 Permalink

Support the Big Blue Nation or get the he11 out! I think Joker knows this football team better than anyone out there so keep you negative comments elsewhere

GO BIG BLUE